The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby adrian_d » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 am

CXCommuter wrote:I am the dumb cyclist, shaved my legs last night for the first time not involving a surgeon :roll: - all I have achieved is chicken legs- and I am commuting today- the shame..

Oh carp and a group ride tomorrow. :oops:

I did that 12 months ago today, unfortunately my skin had reacted badly to shaving and to this day I still get a really dry itchy leg. It only happened on one side (which I think I used Veet and a razor).

So i'm a bit nervous about trying it again lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
adrian_d

by BNA » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:29 am

BNA

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:29 am

human909 wrote:I can't say I've ever thrown a punch in anger, nor do I expect to start.

A very good life skill to stick with in my humble opinion... :)
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:48 am

adrian_d wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:I am the dumb cyclist, shaved my legs last night for the first time not involving a surgeon :roll: - all I have achieved is chicken legs- and I am commuting today- the shame..

Oh carp and a group ride tomorrow. :oops:

I did that 12 months ago today, unfortunately my skin had reacted badly to shaving and to this day I still get a really dry itchy leg. It only happened on one side (which I think I used Veet and a razor).

So i'm a bit nervous about trying it again lol

The other issue where do you stop when heading north- SWMBO stated it made my butt look even hairier than before which I thought couldn't be achieved.
CXCommuter

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:31 am

I shaved my legs for the first time the other day. They looked so great I sent a mate a couple mms saying "How about these legs? Do they turn you on? Well it shouldn't. Because that's my legs".

For those that might not be into Family Guy this should explain the reference more.
Lukeyboy

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Spied a chap on nice looking spesh Tarmac in full Leopard trek gear on Port melb Light rail bike path today who had his helmet clipped to his stem. :shock: > I can undertsand if was going from the team bus to the start line.
Must be very fragile parts on his spesh. :P
Saturnstarzz

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:52 pm

borrowed a mates jaycar camera. got 2 dumb pedestrians tonight:

bridge over the inner city bypass - one path is bike only. continuous problem of pedestrians using it

man coming out of subaru (toowong) not watching where he's going. took a few yells

jasonc

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:57 am

Gordonhooker wrote:
human909 wrote:I can't say I've ever thrown a punch in anger, nor do I expect to start.

A very good life skill to stick with in my humble opinion... :)

I've never thrown a punch in anger either, only at the punching bags at the gym. I'm sure in self defence i'll come to the party though (or learn to run really fast away lol)
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
adrian_d

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 pm

To the cyclist on the Pacific Hwy, Gore Hill you give us all a bad name. Drivers had been given this roadie the required space and overtaking when safe. We then get stopped at the pedestrian lights near the TAFE, and this clown rolls through the lights making all these drivers overtake him again. That's not really the issue - it's going through the red light. I was in my car this morning, and I was in the right lane at the front. I didn't slow to witness if the motorists attitude towards him when they caught him again changed.
Thrilloilogy

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:14 am

Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 am

Gordonhooker wrote:Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.

There is someone on here that argues that all 'bicycle lanes' in QLD are not legally bicycle lanes as cars are allowed to park in them so bicycles don't have to ride in them. Of course, I know nothing about QLD or this road and have no idea of the actual place and circumstances so am not saying you are incorrect in the above assumption of bad behaviour of the cyclists.

To the rider last night who thought he could preempt the light on the corner of Hoddle and Albert (it is a 3 lane road each way) and ended up waiting in the middle of the intersection prior to the lights changing - also not a good look for you in the eyes of the motorists waiting for the lights to turn green. Not to mention you didn't get that much further as I passed you 100m up the road (unfortunately the lights conspired against me so you passed me again as I was getting back up to speed).
Summernight

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 am

Gordonhooker wrote:Tues 22 Oct 2013 between 7:35 - 7:40 AM a group of cyclists city bound on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa - there is a specially built bicycle lane obviously built for both cyclist safety and is signed ALL BICYCLES - group of about 10 cyclist the lead rider ignores the ALL BICYCLES sign the group blindly follow him through. The people in the group will know who they are when they read this - you people are not doing the rest of us any favours by ignoring road rules, you are adding the motorists mindset that we are all a law unto ourselves.

I'm presuming this has changed since google street view went through because all I can see is a road shoulder? Got a photo of the place?

I've never seen an "ALL BICYCLES" sign before. There's no such sign in Schedule 2 of the qld road rules, the closest I can find is a "No bicycles" sign! I have not fully research rules 315 and 316 and thereabouts but a brief read leads me to believe that as there's no such thing as an all bicycles sign, it doesn't really apply.

315 Legal effect of traffic control devices
(1) A traffic control device of a kind mentioned in this regulation
has effect for this regulation if—
(a) the device is on a road; and
(b) the device complies substantially with this regulation.
(2) A traffic control device is taken to comply substantially with
this regulation unless the contrary is proved.

(b) does not seem to be met in this case as the sign is not listed, nor is anything like it.
InTheWoods

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:05 am

InTheWoods wrote:I've never seen an "ALL BICYCLES" sign before.

jasonc

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:11 am

Ah under the gateway.

The streetview pictures have no bicycle lane start sign so its not a bicycle lane at least when streetview went through. If it was, riders would have to be using it anyway, "all bicycles" sign or not.

I'm not convinced the all bicycles sign has legal effect given its not in the road rules but maybe somebody else can help out there.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
InTheWoods

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:16 am

Not sure about what photos google is using but the sign is there and has been for as many years as I have been traveling Wynnum Road to go to work and that is about 6 years now. It is a bit dangerous to try and get a photograph of it unless you got a passenger in your car to take it. I ride my motorcycle to work every day so I have no way of getting a photograph of it.

Jason beat me to it - it is a continuation of the bicycle lane city bound on Wynnum Rd.... Similar to the one on the opposite side of the road that BigRed made a comment about in another thread, but there is no special lane on the opposite side I don't believe.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am

Checked on the way home the special bicycle lane is on both sides of the Gateway underpass and both signed with the ALL BICYCLES sign.

about the same time this morning a cyclist was approaching it as I went under the bridge and he did the right thing and followed the lane as directed. Good onya mate you are doing us all proud.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:06 am

I wanted to avoid that bit a few weeks back as someone had decided to throw glass bottles in there :roll:

Another one is along Sandgate road just before Hamilton Road when heading towards Nundah. All bicycles have to use the side street as there wasn't enough room to add in a bike lane in that section (elevation changes/roadside infrastructure eg power lines, traffic lights, road lighting, bus stops, retaining wall etc). I ignore it if I want to access Hamilton Road but if I'm going thru I'll use it. On the plus side it bypasses the Hamilton Road/Sandgate Road intersection and it helps you hit 60.9kph on the other side... if you obey the stop sign that 99% of Cyclists ignore :P

https://www.google.com.au/maps?ll=-27.3 ... 93,,0,6.08
Lukeyboy

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I wanted to avoid that bit a few weeks back as someone had decided to throw glass bottles in there :roll:

Another one is along Sandgate road just before Hamilton Road when heading towards Nundah. All bicycles have to use the side street as there wasn't enough room to add in a bike lane in that section (elevation changes/roadside infrastructure eg power lines, traffic lights, road lighting, bus stops, retaining wall etc). I ignore it if I want to access Hamilton Road but if I'm going thru I'll use it. On the plus side it bypasses the Hamilton Road/Sandgate Road intersection and it helps you hit 60.9kph on the other side... if you obey the stop sign that 99% of Cyclists ignore :P

Yep so when this happens we cannot really fault other road users when they say we are a law unto ourselves.

Bugger about the fools that broke the bottles in there - did you stop and get of the broken glass?
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 am

^ re broken glass. I rang Brisbane City council about some broken glass on a shared path. It was cleaned up by that afternoon.
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 am

Should have wrote "if you don't obey the stop sign".

It's a very weird setup. I'd like to see a giveway sign for cyclists and the stop sign for motor vehicle traffic. With cars its understandable as you have to merge into a already in use lane but on a bike it's like a give way sign as the road now forms into the bike lane. There's no shoulder and there's a retaining wall there on Sandgate road so no cars are going to be in the bike lane when it forms. Very understandable to just ignore it and go flying right past as I usually do :P

Just held on, took the visible line where others had gone and hoped I didn't get a puncture. There was no chance of cleaning it up unless I had a broom. BCC are hit and miss with glass form me. I reported broken glass... like a pane of glass had falled off a window fitting truck at the Nundah Sandgate road bypass last year and it took them until March to clean it up. It's still there in parts.
Lukeyboy

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Should have wrote "if you don't obey the stop sign".

It's a very weird setup. I'd like to see a giveway sign for cyclists and the stop sign for motor vehicle traffic. With cars its understandable as you have to merge into a already in use lane but on a bike it's like a give way sign as the road now forms into the bike lane. There's no shoulder and there's a retaining wall there on Sandgate road so no cars are going to be in the bike lane when it forms. Very understandable to just ignore it and go flying right past as I usually do :P

I would pretty do the same as you do, well maybe not the flying part :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:33 am

How else am i going to claim all those 10m strava segment then? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I wanted to avoid that bit a few weeks back as someone had decided to throw glass bottles in there :roll:

Yep so when this happens we cannot really fault other road users when they say we are a law unto ourselves.

Bugger about the fools that broke the bottles in there - did you stop and get of the broken glass?

Yes, we'll just get out our very portable fold up broom.
g-boaf

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:08 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:

Yes, we'll just get out our very portable fold up broom.

I have stopped and picked up broken glass and got rid of off the bike ways and walking tracks before, it wasn't difficult... I figured that was my good deed and I would have hoped other did it as well... obviously not in some cases.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Percrime » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:I have stopped and picked up broken glass and got rid of off the bike ways and walking tracks before, it wasn't difficult... I figured that was my good deed and I would have hoped other did it as well... obviously not in some cases.

Most of us dont actually ride brooms. Since a bit of glass the size of a grain of rice can cause a flat we would be there a long time using our hands
Percrime

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Percrime wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:I have stopped and picked up broken glass and got rid of off the bike ways and walking tracks before, it wasn't difficult... I figured that was my good deed and I would have hoped other did it as well... obviously not in some cases.

Most of us dont actually ride brooms. Since a bit of glass the size of a grain of rice can cause a flat we would be there a long time using our hands

I wouldn't have expected anyone to try and pick that up, but then again that wasn't my point...
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion