The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:10 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Undertow wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote: In my post above it is clearly marked as a bicycle lane, the solid bike lane lines take you in that direction with or without the advisory 'ALL BICYCLES' sign. Also given that all but a few cyclists who use that road do use the bicycle lane under the bridge I would suggest it is clear, it is only a few and usually groups that ignore the road rule.

Looking at google maps (i traced it back from the All Bicycles sign to where there "lane" appears) it isn't clearly marked as a bicycle lane. I can't see any Bicycle Lane SIGNS, painted bikes on the road don't make it an official bicycle lane, just a bicycle awareness zone.

From memory, there are roadworks in google streetview and its probably different now, which is why Gordon had to go check for signs. But correct re sign post vs painted bikes on road.

Although... I believe current proposed changes to the ARR will remove the requirement for the sign post!

Yep both painting and signs all the way along now both sides of the road.

Those changes make sense but I think both signs and painting are warranted because it doesn't take all that long for the painted bike icons to wear and hard to see when there wet.... :D that's right who goes out in the wet? :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

by BNA » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:38 pm

BNA

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I'd say it has more to do with there being no shoulder available in a tight inclosed space.

Like this one??

Meh! We just rode on through it.

Now that is scary absolutely no room for error in that tunnel by the look of it. :shock:

The main road between Pisa and Lucca. We rode our loaded touring bikes through it one day back in June - really not nearly as scary as it looks. Yes, no bike lane - we took the required lane space. It was actually quite safe as drivers simply overtook us with plenty of room (despite the double-lines.... it is Italy after all). The most disconcerting thing was the continuous roar of tyre noise.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:55 pm

il padrone wrote:The main road between Pisa and Lucca. We rode our loaded touring bikes through it one day back in June - really not nearly as scary as it looks. Yes, no bike lane - we took the required lane space. It was actually quite safe as drivers simply overtook us with plenty of room (despite the double-lines.... it is Italy after all). The most disconcerting thing was the continuous roar of tyre noise.

Roads actually built to accommodate bicycle touring good idea Italy.... :)
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby jindydiver » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:55 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: meanderthals

Love it can I use that word sometimes please?

[color=#0000FF]By all means, all my works are freely available for all to use :D

Do you really believe you invented it? LOL
jindydiver

Postby dungee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:13 am

I just looked on Google street view and its actually onto a service road.
And, if the traffic were heavy, it would be a pretty silly cyclist who did not exit, but
if its early morning, like a couple of weeks ago when the Tri was on at Cleveland then
yes I saw a group riding through it.

https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-27.5239 ... 5,,0,-1.01

Well that worked, you can see its not a big imposition to follow the sign, and smart if there is traffic.

That is on my daily commute to Brisbane, I choose to ignore it unless the traffic is really thick. It takes you over the worse sealed road surface I've ever ridden over. There is a similar piece of road 100 meters further up and no all cyclists sign. I think that sign refers to a cycle path that connects onto the side road.
dungee

Postby Bah77 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Me, today.
Did not see this guy indicating until i was about to pass.

Wait... what bike has indicators :shock:
Bah77

Postby skull » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Blinkers. Cool.
skull

Postby Biffidus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:57 pm

zero wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
GH wrote:I just looked on Google street view and its actually onto a service road.
And, if the traffic were heavy, it would be a pretty silly cyclist who did not exit, but
if its early morning, like a couple of weeks ago when the Tri was on at Cleveland then
yes I saw a group riding through it.

https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-27.5239 ... 5,,0,-1.01

Well that worked, you can see its not a big imposition to follow the sign, and smart if there is traffic.

Ok its not the same as Gordon's one. In your example, it is definitely just a guide only, you don't have to follow it. If I was riding fast, I would ignore the sign so I didn't have to merge back in at the end. If I was just pootling along in no rush, sure I'd consider the side road. The point is I don't *have* to use the side road.

yet again, cars are given an ungraded route, despite not needing a flat route, and cyclists are given a graded route, despite flat being significantly advantageous to cycles, and IMO routing people off a carriageway so that they have to giveway to traffic to get back on it, is not fair access, and its extremely pointless because you must reenter the traffic flow anyway.

also note the all-bicycles-go-left sign followed by a through-traffic-keep-right sign...
Biffidus

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Bah77 wrote:Me, today.
Did not see this guy indicating until i was about to pass.

Wait... what bike has indicators :shock:

Well, he should use hand signals too. Indicators are cheating. :lol: I never seen those on a bicycle before that photo. Who does those? :?:

Remind me not ride through Western Sydney Regional Park (Lizard Log) area at 10:30am in the morning. Cripes there are some oblivious pedestrians there. You are going 5km/h and telling them you are passing, they turn around and just look blankly at you. :?
g-boaf

Postby The Fixer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 am

You used to be able to buy dry-cell-powered indicators for bicycles in the 1960s, a mate had
them, and we sold them from the local LBS, which my Dad owned.

The batteries were always flat!
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, if you're riding it, and you're happy, it's a good bike.
The Fixer

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:48 am

zero wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
Regarding the bike lane looks fairly clear but you would need to ride through it to check - I commute using my motor cycle so I don't think the police or cyclists would be very happy if I rode the harley through the lane. In my post above it is clearly marked as a bicycle lane, the solid bike lane lines take you in that direction with or without the advisory 'ALL BICYCLES' sign. Also given that all but a few cyclists who use that road do use the bicycle lane under the bridge I would suggest it is clear, it is only a few and usually groups that ignore the road rule.

Its because its a significantly more difficult task to reenter the traffic flow with a group. Groups are best served by staying in the traffic flow, and other road users are also best served by that, because otherwise the group is likely to have to stop, and the group is likely to then be travelling significantly slower after the merge.

That should have always been a concession for individual cyclists to use, and not an "all bicycles" imperative sign.

There is no reason to re-enter you are still in the marked bicycle lane... or are you trying to say that because you are riding in a group you have no need to use a bicycle lane if it is available and clear for use?
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Anyone see todays Daily Telegraph - "Lambs to the slaughterhouse" advert?

Mr Scruby is getting active with advertising to get pedestrians to be more aware of their surroundings.
g-boaf

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:13 pm

great news - I had my fair share of near misses on the gardens bike and walk track at lunch time today.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Perhaps now with this advert, people will start to admit that pedestrians have a responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and cannot just assume they have a blanket right of way, as evidenced previously by these anecdotes or views:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21131 (see response by Wintal)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22881&start=4825 (response by you cannot be sirrus)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16737&start=25 (response by Cranky Jim)

That last one seems to suggest they can go wherever they want and we must assume they have full right of way - well, that's his idea any how. The latest campaign now makes it clear, peds cannot just live in iPod world. They have to take off their music and be aware of their surroundings and not just charge out as they sometimes do.

I take it carefully around them - but they've got to be mindful too. Sharing is a two way street. Each side must do their bit, and each side should keep to their side as much as possible (meaning keep left).
g-boaf

Postby The Fixer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I always wear ear-buds, both when walking and when cycling.

BUT...

The volume is always on its lowest setting (only just audible) and I am fully aware of my surroundings. But I've walked/ridden past people, though, whose
iPod/whatever is actually audible over mine!!?? Now, that is dangerous.

On-topic... I ride daily along a shared path, it lies between the footpath and the road, but is part of neither. It runs for about 500m, and is preceded and followed by
an on-road cycle-path (which I avoid religiously).

Yesterday, going slowly on the old 'Clipper', as the surface is bad and not clean, a young lady exits a gate, crosses the footpath and makes a bee-line for
her car parked at the kerb. To do so, she had to cross the cycle path.

Didn't look either way, on the footpath or the bike path. Not a close shave, as I was ready for it, but still...

Today, same path. Footpath is empty, and along the cycle-path come a couple of young kids, doing everything right. kept left, wore hemlets etc. But Mom
was in the middle of the path with a small dog (on a lead, it's true) on her right, blocking the remainder of the path.

CBF starting a bout of aggro, so pulled-up and let them pass (was on the dual-shock today, so again travelling fairly slowly - it's a heavy bike). Not so much
as a nod and/or a smile...

Ah, well...
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, if you're riding it, and you're happy, it's a good bike.
The Fixer

Postby zero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:09 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
zero wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
Regarding the bike lane looks fairly clear but you would need to ride through it to check - I commute using my motor cycle so I don't think the police or cyclists would be very happy if I rode the harley through the lane. In my post above it is clearly marked as a bicycle lane, the solid bike lane lines take you in that direction with or without the advisory 'ALL BICYCLES' sign. Also given that all but a few cyclists who use that road do use the bicycle lane under the bridge I would suggest it is clear, it is only a few and usually groups that ignore the road rule.

Its because its a significantly more difficult task to reenter the traffic flow with a group. Groups are best served by staying in the traffic flow, and other road users are also best served by that, because otherwise the group is likely to have to stop, and the group is likely to then be travelling significantly slower after the merge.

That should have always been a concession for individual cyclists to use, and not an "all bicycles" imperative sign.

Because a common sense individual would neither ride over the sliplane entrance, nor the worksite entrance in the bicycle lane, and the act of making the sliplane entrance safe makes the sharp kneebend into the stupid cyclepath you can't see down that is wrapped around a gutter that is pushed out into the cyclelane for absolutely no reason that I can see (it is not protecting the footpath because its a 1 way road where there is no traffic to ride up onto said footpath), safe. Those are both impracticable locations if you do in fact value not getting killed as an objective whilst you ride.

ie the entire location was designed by a 'tard. Sorry you can't understand that many sidelanes suck for safety.
zero

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:Anyone see todays Daily Telegraph - "Lambs to the slaughterhouse" advert?

Mr Scruby is getting active with advertising to get pedestrians to be more aware of their surroundings.

You mean Scruby is actually doing something constructive?! :shock: Never thought i'd live to see that day.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Somehow I don't we are talking about the same place zero..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby rdp_au » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 am

First day back in commuting mode after a couple weeks on holiday. Taking off from a set of lights and heading down a long hill, a bike comes past me pretty quickly after timing the lights better than I did. Now I ride a recumbent and despite my grey beard and aged legs, there are very few bikes that can stay with me going downhill, so it was no surprise as I reeled him in and re-passed. He immediately jumped out of the saddle and pulled up to my wheel looking for a tow. Not sure what sort of draft he was getting as I continued to pull away until I slowed at the end of the section, where we move from the road onto a narrower shared path. I take it easy through there, as the path is always covered in sticks and debris and is quite steep in places. I was a bit surprised when he came past again – still at speed, and passing on my left. He was lucky I have mirrors and was using them, because if I had chosen that moment to move over, he would have had nowhere to go.

Passing on the left, at speed, is not a good idea.
rdp_au

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:56 pm

This morning's commute, plenty of the usual 'exercising' walker, as opposed to the sight seeing type. Unusually one strayed across the path without a care in the world. I saw the lack of attention a little too late, the bell was ignored as was the emergency braking rear skid. I just carried on my way but 'mum' gave her a bit of a serve :)

Edit: going to have to work on my uploading skills, lost a lot of clarity there :(
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby johnny99 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:44 pm

Heres my dumb cyclist for today.
Riding aong the bike lane on Reid Hwy heading towards West swan Rd and coming towards me was this guy. Put his arm up to indicate that he was going straight on.

http://youtu.be/uVq7UYrfEZE
johnny99

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:48 am

johnny99 wrote:Heres my dumb cyclist for today.
Riding aong the bike lane on Reid Hwy heading towards West swan Rd and coming towards me was this guy. Put his arm up to indicate that he was going straight on.

mind boggling.....
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 am

Gordonhooker wrote:

mind boggling.....

maybe that's how salmons do it? :roll:
jasonc

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 am

jasonc wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:

mind boggling.....

maybe that's how salmons do it? :roll:

bit like trying to walk through Central station at 8AM in the morning :D
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:bit like trying to walk through Central station at 8AM in the morning :D

but that'd mean catching the train
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion