The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:52 pm

jasonc wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:bit like trying to walk through Central station at 8AM in the morning :D

but that'd mean catching the train

You got a problem with that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

by BNA » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

BNA

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:bit like trying to walk through Central station at 8AM in the morning :D

You got a problem with that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

if you've got your bike, you've got wheels, you ride!
jasonc

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:47 pm

jasonc wrote:

Not if it is between you and your morning coffee on a work day. :)
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Not if it is between you and your morning coffee on a work day. :)

here's a shock for you - I don't drink coffee.
jasonc

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:45 am

The ratbag that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing
Dragster1

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 pm

I nominate the three cycle cops this morning that passed me at somewhere near 20kph on my left South to North against the buildings along Barrack Street.

The "dumb" factor was that they carried that speed through the corner of the buildings at Murray Street. If a ped had been coming towards them along the West-East Murray St building line then said cops would have likely collected the ped.

They would not have been able to veer right even if they did see the ped at the last instant without wiping themselves off onto me. All they really needed to do was move AWAY from the buildng line (as I do) or, even better, slow down.

Normally these guys are the epitome of consideration.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:34 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I nominate the three cycle cops this morning that passed me at somewhere near 20kph on my left South to North against the buildings along Barrack Street.

The "dumb" factor was that they carried that speed through the corner of the buildings at Murray Street. If a ped had been coming towards them along the West-East Murray St building line then said cops would have likely collected the ped.

They would not have been able to veer right even if they did see the ped at the last instant without wiping themselves off onto me. All they really needed to do was move AWAY from the buildng line (as I do) or, even better, slow down.

Who has right of way, the pedestrian or the three cyclists? :twisted:
g-boaf

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:18 am

g-boaf wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I nominate the three cycle cops this morning that passed me at somewhere near 20kph on my left South to North against the buildings along Barrack Street.

Neither. The term "Right of Way" as far as I can recall is only used in the WA Road Traffic Code 2000 in respect to giving way at traffic-control signals (regulation 45). It is a common misunderstanding of the road rules to refer to a "right of way." There is however obligation's to "give way" in the Road Traffic Code and the Road Traffic Act imposes obligations related to responsible driving (riding).

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 am

Did you miss the smilie? ;)

And besides, if they collected you - good luck trying to argue that they were at fault or were riding in an irresponsible manner.

Perhaps this is a story for the Daily Telegraph or the Courier Mail to pick up on? (they won't however - for obvious reasons).
g-boaf

Postby hannos » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:30 am

g-boaf wrote:

did they have lights and sirens flashing? :P
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 am

hannos wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

did they have lights and sirens flashing? :P

Did they ring their bells? :lol:
g-boaf

Postby schroeds » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 am

Dragster1 wrote:The dingleberry that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing

Sadly there are way too many of these...giving us a bad name

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
I'm not so much a cyclist..more of a sit down comedian
schroeds

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:30 am

schroeds wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:The cretinous buffoon that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing

Just like there are too many sweaty Lycra cyclists who take up room at coffee shops and ride in bunches. :roll:

I'm sick of hearing this notion that we are getting a bad name from bad cyclists. This is rubbish drilled into you by a motoring majority. Cyclists have a "bad name" because we exist on the roads.
human909

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:47 am

No, it is the bad eggs that give us a bad name. Doesn't everyone think that P plate drivers are all hoons out to kill us all? That is the hoons giving them all a bad name. I've seen at least two P platers doing the right thing but I usually expect the worst.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 am

g-boaf wrote:Did you miss the smilie? ;)

Nope, but happy to correct the misunderstanding of the WA road code :wink: .

And besides, if they collected you - good luck trying to argue that they were at fault or were riding in an irresponsible manner.

I wouldn't have a problem arguing that they were at fault if they where at fault.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aushiker

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 am

bychosis wrote:No, it is the bad eggs that give us a bad name. Doesn't everyone think that P plate drivers are all hoons out to kill us all? That is the hoons giving them all a bad name. I've seen at least two P platers doing the right thing but I usually expect the worst.

So what things are these bad eggs doing?
*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Riding in the middle of the lane?
*Riding on the road during peak hour?
*Buying coffee from a cafe?
*Wearing revealing Lycra?
*Being arrogant about their fitness?
*Talking while riding?

Tut, tut. They are very bad eggs. If only we stopped all cyclists from doing those things then mummy motorist will finally love us. :roll:
human909

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

human909 wrote:
bychosis wrote:No, it is the bad eggs that give us a bad name. Doesn't everyone think that P plate drivers are all hoons out to kill us all? That is the hoons giving them all a bad name. I've seen at least two P platers doing the right thing but I usually expect the worst.

*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Talking while riding?

Tut, tut. They are very bad eggs. If only we stopped all cyclists from doing those things then mummy motorist will finally love us. :roll:

and the road toll would be zero, not :roll:

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:09 pm

schroeds wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:The onanist that rode straight through the red light at the corner of progress rd and garden rd heading towards forestlake at about 8am and then thought I was going to give way to him. You are a disgrace to every cyclist that does the right thing

Assuming you drive a car, I put it to you that you are a bad driver, because of the hoon driver I saw last night. Of course it's totally crazy - but it's the same thing.

Aushiker wrote:
human909 wrote:

*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Talking while riding?

and the road toll would be zero, not :roll:

Andrew

I had to laugh at H909's reply. Mrs Thatcher would be proud of such great use of rhetoric.
g-boaf

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

And of course there are idiot cyclists out there. Though your definition may differ from mine. :wink:

However blaming the idiot cyclists for dangers on the road is not only pointless but counter productive. It is massively distracting from addressing the real issues that are killing cyclists every week.
human909

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:26 pm

[mod] This is a family friendly forum. Bad language is simply not acceptable. Masking it does not make it good language

Use more intelligent ways to present your communication[/mod]
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Who has right of way, the pedestrian or the three cyclists? :twisted:

Neither. The term "Right of Way" as far as I can recall is only used in the WA Road Traffic Code 2000 in respect to giving way at traffic-control signals (regulation 45). It is a common misunderstanding of the road rules to refer to a "right of way." There is however obligation's to "give way" in the Road Traffic Code and the Road Traffic Act imposes obligations related to responsible driving (riding).

Andrew

And even there, without having a look, I think the term is limited to heading, not the actual content. Just to confuse.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:28 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:And even there, without having a look, I think the term is limited to heading, not the actual content. Just to confuse.

Good point. The regulation itself uses the phrase "give way."

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 pm

human909 wrote:So what things are these bad eggs doing?
*Not paying rego?
*Riding in bunches?
*Talking while riding?

I LOVE IT! :mrgreen:

We often disagree, don't we? But in this I think you have very clearly demonstrated the futility of changing our actions for the express purpose of getting the haters onside. It doesn't matter, they will still hate.

There are good reasons to, for example, not run red lights. But getting idiots on side is not one of them. If you ride in groups for valid reasons, or claim the lane as you approach roundabouts, then contnue to do so. Not doing so will not endear you to the author of the rant in question. After all, y'all are so low as to take up a valuable seat at the coffee stop. :roll:
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:33 pm

I encountered Mr dopey cyclist who rides down the Delhi Rd North Ryde bike lane on the wrong side of the road when there is a bike lane on the otherside of the road for him to use. Both times I have encountered him, there was a bus stop for me to allow room, and this time he used a painted traffic island where there M2 merges onto Delhi. If I encounter him in the narrow section where there is not enough room to pass I will simply stop and unclip one foot and wait for him to take his bike out of my way.
Thrilloilogy

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Unsurprisingly almost all of the cyclists on my commute are pretty aware of their surroundings. Not for todays hero though, who rides onto the college st path & then does a head check - no danger as it happened, I was the closest rider about 20 m back He was adamant that he did look & doesn't care what I think. Sorry mate, video says no :roll:
find_bruce

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion