The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 am

this morning dumb cyclist was me!
turning right out of the land st tunnel onto the bicentennial bikeway looking left right into the sun I failed to see the cyclist coming towards me.
I immediately apologised.
jasonc

by BNA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 am

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 am

jasonc wrote:this morning dumb cyclist was me!
turning right out of the land st tunnel onto the bicentennial bikeway looking left right into the sun I failed to see the cyclist coming towards me.

It happens. :oops:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:We often disagree, don't we? But in this I think you have very clearly demonstrated the futility of changing our actions for the express purpose of getting the haters onside. It doesn't matter, they will still hate.

It was pretty well written. :) You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it. Unless of course the local little athletics is running registrations and then they take over the seating outside. It restores your faith in humanity. 8) And riding back, the deafening sound of rear hubs freewheeling. :D Isn't it wonderful. :)
g-boaf

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:42 am

I don't know about dumb cyclist - as g-boaf says, it happens, but it turns out you followed it up with 2 smart things - you recognised your own failing & 2 said sorry.
find_bruce

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 am

I was surprised at the level of love for my previous comments. It is nothing I haven't said before. But like g-boat said, I guess having it well written helps. :wink:

g-boaf wrote:You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it.

I almost fell off my chair at this comment. But then I realised you were talking about Sydney. In Melbourne Preston Maccas is car central. On Friday & Saturday night the place is full of car hoons and car park fight. :roll:
human909

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:

I don't know about dumb cyclist - as g-boaf says, it happens, but it turns out you followed it up with 2 smart things - you recognised your own failing & 2 said sorry.

well we're all about getting into motorists who do the wrong thing. I try and learn from my mistakes. I still consider what I did to be dumb. If I couldn't see, I should have waited.
jasonc

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 pm

human909 wrote:I was surprised at the level of love for my previous comments. It is nothing I haven't said before. But like g-boat said, I guess having it well written helps. :wink:

g-boaf wrote:You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it.

I almost fell off my chair at this comment. But then I realised you were talking about Sydney. In Melbourne Preston Maccas is car central. On Friday & Saturday night the place is full of car hoons and car park fight. :roll:

Should have taken a photo of the Sydney one the other weekend. I've never seen so many bikes. :shock: Perhaps we should all invade the Melbourne one. :lol:
g-boaf

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Maccas for Coffee?seriously?
I need to see pics of the rollup one morning. :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Maccas for Coffee?seriously?
I need to see pics of the rollup one morning. :?

Perhaps you'll bring along a portable coffee machine on the back of your bike next time. Then we can do better. :wink:
g-boaf

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Not likely, better drinker than barista :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Well I actually do my own coffee at home, have quite a serious coffee setup as a few here know already.

And Maccas coffee is getting better than it was. I've had worse from very fancy inner city cafés charging huge prices.

Anyhow - back on topic. ;)
g-boaf

Postby wellington_street » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:04 am

Riding up the PSP where it crosses the freeway south on-ramp and comes out at Aberdeen Street, I had three morons who had come over the crest on the bridge, then started to flog it down the hill. All good except for the part where they cut the corner and missed me (going slowly uphill) by a whisker. Why can't people just ride to the conditions :roll:

Then riding down Aberdeen Street I get to Lake Street, there's a few peds around and a car who all stop to give way. Except one dumb female pedestrian who starts crossing in front of me on the other side of the road. Fine, I thought, she's going to stop in the median and wait? Nope, looks straight at me then walks straight out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes. A few choice words and I'm on my way again.
wellington_street

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:

It happens. :oops:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:We often disagree, don't we? But in this I think you have very clearly demonstrated the futility of changing our actions for the express purpose of getting the haters onside. It doesn't matter, they will still hate.

It was pretty well written. :) You ought to come down to Maccas at Prestons on Saturday morning, there are so many bicycles you wouldn't believe it. Unless of course the local little athletics is running registrations and then they take over the seating outside. It restores your faith in humanity. 8) And riding back, the deafening sound of rear hubs freewheeling. :D Isn't it wonderful. :)

Prestons? I don;t know it.

As for the sound of freewheels, I have the m ost minimalist of fixies and so it is with regret that I have to keep pedalling all the time. :( I hate it when litle old ladies that I pass on a climb then just effortlessly cruise past on the down side. :oops: he coffee shops don't mind cyclists, just the ranting author who has failed to realise that the only reason many of them are there for her is because of the trade from the lycra crazies.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:44 pm

wellington_street wrote:Riding up the PSP where it crosses the freeway south on-ramp and comes out at Aberdeen Street, I had three morons who had come over the crest on the bridge, then started to flog it down the hill. All good except for the part where they cut the corner and missed me (going slowly uphill) by a whisker. Why can't people just ride to the conditions :roll:

Then riding down Aberdeen Street I get to Lake Street, there's a few peds around and a car who all stop to give way. Except one dumb female pedestrian who starts crossing in front of me on the other side of the road. Fine, I thought, she's going to stop in the median and wait? Nope, looks straight at me then walks straight out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes. A few choice words and I'm on my way again.

Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.
g-boaf

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:Well I actually do my own coffee at home, have quite a serious coffee setup as a few here know already.

And Maccas coffee is getting better than it was. I've had worse from very fancy inner city cafés charging huge prices.

Anyhow - back on topic. ;)

McCafe coffee is not bad, just bland as it caters for an average taste. There's little, if any, alternative for a coffee at the southern end of the M7 path and you can purchase a small coffee and banana bread for $5.45 when the special is on. :D
biker jk

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am

Banana bread! What ever will they think of next,Cheese cake! :lol: Sorry could'nt resist.
Wakatuki

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 am

group of riders this morning heading southbound on the western fwy bikeway through the roadwoards. they were riding 2 wide. definitely didn't make it safe for the 4 guys I was riding around (we were all riding single file). if you're on here, it's not wide enough for 2 wide, especially with the blind corners. please consider other path users.
jasonc

Postby redned » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:48 am

g-boaf wrote:Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.

I think he is talking about a pedestrian stepping out onto the road in front of a cyclist, in doing so passing pedestrians that had already stopped for traffic.
redned

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 am

redned wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.

I think he is talking about a pedestrian stepping out onto the road in front of a cyclist, in doing so passing pedestrians that had already stopped for traffic.

Exactly.

g-boaf's just cranky I pointed out some stupidity in the thread about safe following distance. However, you'll be happy to know g-boaf that I identified the hazard, slowed and stopped in time to avoid a collision.
wellington_street

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 am

wellington_street wrote:
redned wrote:

Exactly.

g-boaf's just cranky I pointed out some stupidity in the thread about safe following distance. However, you'll be happy to know g-boaf that I identified the hazard, slowed and stopped in time to avoid a collision.

Good for you - oh so safe rider. Me cranky, never. :) You weren't pointing out stupidity, you were trolling against bunch riding, which is just about typical for a few usual suspects on here.

I'm sure the Police riders I've seen following each other closely would be interested to know they weren't doing the right thing.

I've had enough of this. I'm out of here and done with bike riding as well. :(
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:
redned wrote:

Exactly.

Good for you - oh so safe rider. Me cranky, never. :) You weren't pointing out stupidity, you were trolling against bunch riding, which is just about typical for a few usual suspects on here.

I'm sure the Police riders I've seen following each other closely would be interested to know they weren't doing the right thing.

I obviously missed something in what redned originally posted.... he made 2 points 1 about a group of riders that cut a corner and nearly wiped him out and the other about a pedestrian that looked him in the eye and stepped out in front of him.

How do you get from that to him being a troll with a set on group riders? Why is that when you either don't like someone elses opinions or they touch a nerve that they are a troll?- you have said something similar to me in the past...
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:How do you get from that to him being a troll with a set on group riders? Why is that when you either don't like someone elses opinions or they touch a nerve that they are a troll?- you have said something similar to me in the past...

That sounds something like what a troll would say.

Lukeyboy

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Sorry luke is that directed at me?
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Haha. Don't worry mate. I'm just joking around like I always do whenever some mentions the word Troll.
Lukeyboy

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

No worries Luke will remember that next time. Some people tend to throw the word around a bit.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby cp123 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:06 pm

cp123

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion