The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:44 pm

A big 'Hi' to the drunk moron in the high vis gear yelling that he was "gonna effin' kill yez all" to us at Highgate Hill this morning (after some lycra based whinging I didn't catch properly). Mate, do the world a favour - go home, get into your empty, lonely bed, pull the covers up and cry yourself to sleep. The world will be a better place tomorrow when you sober up - for us if not for you. :roll:

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

by BNA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:06 pm

BNA

Postby stretts » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Saw 5 seperate cyclists of adult age riding on the footpath today... not sure why either, no safety issues in the area
stretts

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:59 pm

stretts wrote:Saw 5 seperate cyclists of adult age riding on the footpath today... not sure why either, no safety issues in the area

Might be illegal but it's hardly dumb.
wellington_street

Postby Thrilloilogy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:Me this time ...

Andrew

In this situation, you can see the car in the right has slowed to let the guy in. When I detect this as a cyclist, I am ready for the cager in the side street to ignore me and start to do what the guy in the side street tried to do to you. No excuse, just allows me to ride defensively and be ready.
Thrilloilogy

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:48 pm

while having a sneaky fish in Forest Lake this morning I watched intently as this Dad with daughter on the back of his bike was pedalling along a bit too quick for the several walkers he was approaching. At least half had dogs and were going in all directions.

And he had his iPhone to his ear deep in conversation. Surprisingly he didn't end up in the lake or taking a stack, but it was close. Not that the wobble and bouncing off a guardrail interrupted his conversation.
Tomca74

Postby nezumi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:13 am

wellington_street wrote:
stretts wrote:Saw 5 seperate cyclists of adult age riding on the footpath today... not sure why either, no safety issues in the area

If you ride at any pace on a footpath and a car pulls out of a driveway with poor sightlines it doesn't seem like such a great idea.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:31 am

If it's not a cycleway or a shared path, then send them to the lockup for their horrific crime!

I'd like to give a special mention to the idiot on the M7 last night at 6:15pm near Horsley Drive who just about took me out in his attempt to take a wide line into the S-curve going downhill. You were an older looking guy with a big beard and in a big hurry.

Next time maybe I'll make sure we crash. I'm likely to be less injured than you and maybe you'll end up never riding a bike again! :evil: Very dangerous riding - how many other near misses did you cause?
g-boaf

Postby stretts » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:38 am

wellington_street wrote:

It can be when they a) enter back into the stream of traffic haphazardly or b) fly through an intersection via the footpath. Cars generally slow down at the last second so it is not a good mix.
stretts

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:46 am

Did you see them entering back into the traffic stream haphazardly or flying through intersections via the footpath?
g-boaf

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
MisuVir wrote:Even though they're allowed to do so.

Just because a law says something can be done does not mean it should be. Too little /B in the world :(

Me, I'da backed off and hit the grass for 10m, no biggie.

I very rarely visit this thread--too much sweating the small stuff for me. But I say G-boaf had replied and he sounds like a sensible kinda guy so I popped in for a look.

Thanks a bloody lot G-Boaf you have just made me agree with Mulger Bill.

May all your Bananas have black bits in the middle so you have to eat them from both ends. That'll teach ya.
Baldy

Postby skull » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:15 pm

wellington_street wrote:

Not necessarily illegal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
skull

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Baldy wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
MisuVir wrote:Even though they're allowed to do so.

Just because a law says something can be done does not mean it should be. Too little /B in the world :(

Me, I'da backed off and hit the grass for 10m, no biggie.

I very rarely visit this thread--too much sweating the small stuff for me. But I say G-boaf had replied and he sounds like a sensible kinda guy so I popped in for a look.

Thanks a bloody lot G-Boaf you have just made me agree with Mulger Bill.

May all your Bananas have black bits in the middle so you have to eat them from both ends. That'll teach ya.

Forgive me, I'm lost. ;)
g-boaf

Postby stretts » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:Did you see them entering back into the traffic stream haphazardly or flying through intersections via the footpath?

3 of the 5 at speed across a crossing, silly cyclists
stretts

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:06 pm

to the numpty pedestrian I passed at 20km/h this morning on a footpath after yelling "on your right".
Yes I did yell, the reason you said "Oh S@#$" as I came by is that I could hear your music which means a mack truck could have run off the road behind you and you'd be none-the-wiser
jasonc

Postby Tomca74 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Not really dumb, but out of the one cyclist I saw at traffic lights today, 100% of cyclists run red lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjsXSJsl3HI
Tomca74

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:50 am

I see them every other day and it is not only the boy/girl racers it is the commuter on his/her mountain or suburban bike on our streets.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:58 am

I saw a classic on my lunch time ride yesterday - I was riding in the bicycle marked lane which is just next to the pedestrian lane along the paths at the Kangaroo Point cliffs here in Brisbane. A meandertal wondering about in the bicycle marked area lane (which is right next to the ped one) so I rang my bell to let her know I was coming - she stopped looked at me and gave me a mouthful of abuse for riding the bike on the walking track. :shock: When I pointed out the painted bike in the lane I was on and the painted person in the lane she should have been in - she just gave me a vacant and continued to abuse me for riding on the walking trails. :?: I do realize that statistically some people have to come from the shallow end of the gene pool but I did not realize how shallow the shallow end was. :D
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:21 am

jasonc wrote:to the numpty pedestrian I passed at 20km/h this morning on a footpath after yelling "on your right".
Yes I did yell, the reason you said "Oh S@#$" as I came by is that I could hear your music which means a mack truck could have run off the road behind you and you'd be none-the-wiser

Unfortunately they do that. And you get in trouble for berating them about that too. I don't bother complaining about them using the iPod, because apparently it's unreasonable to expect them to be aware of their surroundings - and we as bicycle riders should be looking out for them because they are vulnerable.

Gordonhooker wrote:A meandertal wondering about in the bicycle marked area lane (which is right next to the ped one) so I rang my bell to let her know I was coming - she stopped looked at me and gave me a mouthful of abuse for riding the bike on the walking track. :shock: When I pointed out the painted bike in the lane I was on and the painted person in the lane she should have been in - she just gave me a vacant and continued to abuse me for riding on the walking trails. :?:

I suspect ultimately they would prefer that people like you and I are banned from bicycle tracks completely and that those bike tracks are specifically for walkers only.
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 am

not really dumb, just a scary one this morning going over the jindalee bridge. mum running towards me with her 4 kids scootering in tow. of them looked right and turned that way just as I got to him. Slammed on the brakes and missed him by millimetres
jasonc

Postby skull » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:27 pm

The four runners running on the shoulder (marked as a bike track) along side adelaide ave. A good way to get dead.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
skull

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:I do realize that statistically some people have to come from the shallow end of the gene pool but I did not realize how shallow the shallow end was. :D

Ah, but it's only the shallow end of the gene pool if, in her environment, comprehension is more adaptive than belligerence.
kb

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:53 pm

kb wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:I do realize that statistically some people have to come from the shallow end of the gene pool but I did not realize how shallow the shallow end was. :D

Ah, but it's only the shallow end of the gene pool if, in her environment, comprehension is more adaptive than belligerence.

With her feet in the water the toenails are still dry, it is that shallow.
Funny read Gordon, SO TRUE; you ride therefore you’re wrong. :lol:
Wakatuki

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Wakatuki wrote:
kb wrote:

With her feet in the water the toenails are still dry, it is that shallow.
Funny read Gordon, SO TRUE; you ride therefore you’re wrong. :lol:

yep the toenails were dry :D

I think it is great that us (the cycling minority) are wrong.... let's face it who wants to be right all the time :D

alas the motor vehicle drivers don't want us on the roads and the meandertals don't want us on the paths and I am sure if we could float the boaties wounldn't want us on the water.... OH Woe are us.........
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby myforwik » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:I saw a classic on my lunch time ride yesterday - I was riding in the bicycle marked lane which is just next to the pedestrian lane along the paths at the Kangaroo Point cliffs here in Brisbane. A meandertal wondering about in the bicycle marked area lane (which is right next to the ped one) so I rang my bell to let her know I was coming - she stopped looked at me and gave me a mouthful of abuse for riding the bike on the walking track. :shock: When I pointed out the painted bike in the lane I was on and the painted person in the lane she should have been in - she just gave me a vacant and continued to abuse me for riding on the walking trails. :?: I do realize that statistically some people have to come from the shallow end of the gene pool but I did not realize how shallow the shallow end was. :D

I still get abused in QLD for riding on footpaths etc.

I have found that the more I give way, the more abuse I get. For example if people are coming and I completely stop so we can all easily pass each other they will says say "well you shouldn't be here, you are aren't allowed here". Yet if I just cruize straight past, no one seems to care... I think people just like to vent when they get a chance.
myforwik

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:56 pm

myforwik wrote:I still get abused in QLD for riding on footpaths etc.

Interesting...

I've NEVER EVER been abused for riding on a footpath in VIC despite it being illegal. Not that I ride on footpaths often, but I have no issue doing it. When I do so, I ride on the naturestrip or stop to give way to pedestrians. I have surprised pedestrians on occasion which has normally resulted in them apologising and then me apologising.
human909

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion