The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:I obviously missed something in what redned originally posted.... he made 2 points 1 about a group of riders that cut a corner and nearly wiped him out and the other about a pedestrian that looked him in the eye and stepped out in front of him.

How do you get from that to him being a troll with a set on group riders? Why is that when you either don't like someone elses opinions or they touch a nerve that they are a troll?- you have said something similar to me in the past...

Just a bit of discontent from this post and others in that thread, nothing worth worrying about and not at all relevant to what I posted here.
wellington_street

by BNA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 am

BNA

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 am

g-boaf wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Riding up the PSP where it crosses the freeway south on-ramp and comes out at Aberdeen Street, I had three morons who had come over the crest on the bridge, then started to flog it down the hill. All good except for the part where they cut the corner and missed me (going slowly uphill) by a whisker. Why can't people just ride to the conditions :roll:

Then riding down Aberdeen Street I get to Lake Street, there's a few peds around and a car who all stop to give way. Except one dumb female pedestrian who starts crossing in front of me on the other side of the road. Fine, I thought, she's going to stop in the median and wait? Nope, looks straight at me then walks straight out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes. A few choice words and I'm on my way again.

Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.

Agree. (Though you come across a bit righteous there yourself g-boaf - hasty post?)

Peds should be should be thought of as a natural disaster - just waiting to happen and all we can do is accept it is the way it is and ride accordingly.

Unless you are a new rider you should know that peds do this every day. Indeed they can be looking straight at you from a meter and still somehow fail to register.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Peds should be should be thought of as a natural disaster - just waiting to happen and all we can do is accept it is the way it is and ride accordingly.

Unless you are a new rider you should know that peds do this every day. Indeed they can be looking straight at you from a meter and still somehow fail to register.

And then some people here have a go at me for using an AirZound on them. As I keep saying if they're annoyed at the airhorn, then they've actually worked out that there is someone else is their own little world.

*must fix my airhorn :( *
jasonc

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:26 am

wellington_street wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:I obviously missed something in what redned originally posted.... he made 2 points 1 about a group of riders that cut a corner and nearly wiped him out and the other about a pedestrian that looked him in the eye and stepped out in front of him.

How do you get from that to him being a troll with a set on group riders? Why is that when you either don't like someone elses opinions or they touch a nerve that they are a troll?- you have said something similar to me in the past...

Just a bit of discontent from this post and others in that thread, nothing worth worrying about and not at all relevant to what I posted here.

Thanks I see what you mean.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:29 am

jasonc wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Peds should be should be thought of as a natural disaster - just waiting to happen and all we can do is accept it is the way it is and ride accordingly.

And then some people here have a go at me for using an AirZound on them. As I keep saying if they're annoyed at the airhorn, then they've actually worked out that there is someone else is their own little world.

*must fix my airhorn :( *

hmmmmm airhorn must look into one of those as my next accessory.... I have been meaning to get one for my motorcycle as well. :D
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 am

Air-horning pedestrians (even the silly ones) on shared paths is not the right way to go. Pedestrians do unexpected things, we just have to expect that and ride accordingly, not go around blasting them with air horns as a matter of course.
InTheWoods

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 am

InTheWoods wrote:Air-horning pedestrians (even the silly ones) on shared paths is not the right way to go. Pedestrians do unexpected things, we just have to expect that and ride accordingly, not go around blasting them with air horns as a matter of course.

What do you suggest as an alternative? I have wheeled slowly up to a pedestrian at barely 5km/h because they couldn't hear my bell, or my voice. They then jumped about 6 feet in the air when I "suddenly appeared without warning".
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

queequeg wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Air-horning pedestrians (even the silly ones) on shared paths is not the right way to go. Pedestrians do unexpected things, we just have to expect that and ride accordingly, not go around blasting them with air horns as a matter of course.

What do you suggest as an alternative? I have wheeled slowly up to a pedestrian at barely 5km/h because they couldn't hear my bell, or my voice. They then jumped about 6 feet in the air when I "suddenly appeared without warning".

I mean as a matter of course. I don't have a problem with what you did - you approached carefully and tried other means of communication first.
InTheWoods

Postby herzog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 am

Agreed, pedestrians are not the enemy. Anyone getting about under their own steam instead of a car is on the right track.

Air horn them enough and they'll get back in their cars. With a very anti cyclist mindset.

Ultimately we reap what we sow. Slow down, share the path. Keep it friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
herzog

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm

On Shared Paths a bell or voice should be sufficient.

By my interpretation, the pedestrian in question was stepping out onto the street. Especially in the CBD, using a simple bell is not enough to garner a ped's attention. Having an AirZound, Hornit or similar can help break through the lack of situational awareness in the city.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:06 pm

advantages
ipod effect - bell and voice fail
I can use the AZ further away
jasonc

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Hmmmmm ok after reading some of the replies above.... still go with the airhorn but don't tell anyone on the forum that you use it.... problem fixed :D

On the serious side I singles peds are not too bad, but groups especially our lady friends that are 2 or 3 abreast and talking do not hear you when you use the voice or the bell. So it is either wait until you can get around them or get off and walk...
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:35 pm

I like the freewheel effect. Most notice the loud clicking coming up behind them. I'd love to have a az just to plast the mindless idiots that walk around in the city.
Lukeyboy

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:Hmmmmm ok after reading some of the replies above.... still go with the airhorn but don't tell anyone on the forum that you use it.... problem fixed :D

On the serious side I singles peds are not too bad, but groups especially our lady friends that are 2 or 3 abreast and talking do not hear you when you use the voice or the bell. So it is either wait until you can get around them or get off and walk...

So, you want to use an excessively loud warning device to cause infrastructure users to make room for you when they are using that infrastructure in line with the rules and requirements.

If you can't see the irony of this situation compared to a driver honking at a cyclist for riding along too slowly and getting annoyed that they have to wait to go around them, well.....

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby herzog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Exactly
herzog

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:39 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Agree. (Though you come across a bit righteous there yourself g-boaf - hasty post?)

Peds should be should be thought of as a natural disaster - just waiting to happen and all we can do is accept it is the way it is and ride accordingly.

Perhaps, but I had a coming together with one earlier this year that had me off the bike for a very long time, and I lost a heap of speed that I've never regained. My right leg still has very visible and ugly scars. :( You can never be too careful around them. Regardless of where you are in relation to them.

I have some of the loudest wheels on my bike (if I use the carbon ones) and peds even fail to hear those.

Sometimes even shouting at the top of your voice has no effect on pedestrians with loud music going. :?
g-boaf

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 pm

nezumi wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:Hmmmmm ok after reading some of the replies above.... still go with the airhorn but don't tell anyone on the forum that you use it.... problem fixed :D

So, you want to use an excessively loud warning device to cause infrastructure users to make room for you when they are using that infrastructure in line with the rules and requirements.

If you can't see the irony of this situation compared to a driver honking at a cyclist for riding along too slowly and getting annoyed that they have to wait to go around them, well.....

Actually no not really but I do see both sides of the argument, especially where meanderthalls 2 or 3 abreast are walking on the wrong side of the path way that is clearly marked keep left and way too busy talking to hear what is going on around them... the other is is the meanderthall sending a text or reading a text while walking and meandering from one side of the path to the other until they realize there is an oncoming bicycle on person they are about to walk into, which is normally followed by them getting a fright and soiling their underwear. I figure the air horn will finish the job, unless of course you get a really quiet air horn... ;) Obviously the smiley didn't register so for Gods sake lighten up.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I like the freewheel effect. Most notice the loud clicking coming up behind them. I'd love to have a az just to plast the mindless idiots that walk around in the city.

That works for me to, but alas my main ride has now been flipped over so it is a fixie..... no free-wheel effect... :D
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
nezumi wrote:

Actually no not really but I do see both sides of the argument, especially where meanderthalls 2 or 3 abreast are walking on the wrong side of the path way that is clearly marked keep left and way too busy talking to hear what is going on around them... the other is is the meanderthall sending a text or reading a text while walking and meandering from one side of the path to the other until they realize there is an oncoming bicycle on person they are about to walk into, which is normally followed by them getting a fright and soiling their underwear. I figure the air horn will finish the job, unless of course you get a really quiet air horn... ;) Obviously the smiley didn't register so for Gods sake lighten up.

Actually, I was refering more to you your "serious side" bit:

Walking 2 or 3 abreast == cycling 2 abreast
Not moving to the side to let you past == Cyclist claiming the lane
Wait until you get around them == Car having to wait to pass cyclist safely

As far as I have been told, the signs and markers on the paths are not enforcable.

Much as we don't like it, on PSPs peds always have the right of way. We have a responsibility to ensure that they are safe from us.

nezumi

Postby zero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:

In my experience 90% of two abreasts make space when I approach and down change behind them - they hear the downchange pretty clearly for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me. perhaps deore shifters are thunderous, they certainly seem like that on video.

Of those 90%, sometimes _both_ people try to move over to let me through, and wind up switching spots. For that reason, I don't think its ever possible to pass them at great speed, therefore if I come up on 2 abreasts that don't notice me, I've found that asking them to let you through works, and since I had to slow down anyway for safety reasons, its not really that important if I have to be slowed down for a few more seconds.

The proportion of people that won't let you through either automatically or after asking is miniscule.
zero

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:40 pm

zero wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:

In my experience 90% of two abreasts make space when I approach and down change behind them - they hear the downchange pretty clearly for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me. perhaps deore shifters are thunderous, they certainly seem like that on video.

Of those 90%, sometimes _both_ people try to move over to let me through, and wind up switching spots. For that reason, I don't think its ever possible to pass them at great speed, therefore if I come up on 2 abreasts that don't notice me, I've found that asking them to let you through works, and since I had to slow down anyway for safety reasons, its not really that important if I have to be slowed down for a few more seconds.

The proportion of people that won't let you through either automatically or after asking is miniscule.

I hear what you are saying - that is why most of the time if I can't pass I get off and walk until I can....
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:41 pm

nezumi wrote:

As far as I have been told, the signs and markers on the paths are not enforcable.

Much as we don't like it, on PSPs peds always have the right of way. We have a responsibility to ensure that they are safe from us.

Of course they are not enforable bit like manners and courtesy really...
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:39 am

To use it on everyone you pass is wrong but they do have a place and purpose. I would rather air horn someone than hit them and break their arm, leg or what ever but I wouldn't pass someone at warp speed so that there is a good chance of this happening either.
Dragster1

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:58 am

Gordonhooker wrote:
nezumi wrote:

Of course they are not enforable bit like manners and courtesy really...

There are some rules for pedestrians. They apply to roads and road-related areas. Shared paths are road-related areas.

236 Pedestrians not to cause a traffic hazard or obstruction
(1) A pedestrian must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver.
Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
(2) A pedestrian must not unreasonably obstruct the path of any driver or another pedestrian.
(3) For subrule (2), a pedestrian does not unreasonably obstruct the path of another pedestrian only by travelling more slowly than other pedestrians.
(4) A pedestrian must not stand on, or move onto, a road to—
(a) solicit contributions, employment or business from an occupant of a vehicle; or
(b) hitchhike; or
(c) display an advertisement; or
(d) sell or offer articles for sale; or
(e) wash or clean, or offer to wash or clean, the windscreen of a vehicle (other than a parked vehicle).
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby nezumi » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:56 am

il padrone wrote:There are some rules for pedestrians. They apply to roads and road-related areas. Shared paths are road-related areas.

236 Pedestrians not to cause a traffic hazard or obstruction
(1) A pedestrian must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver.
(2) A pedestrian must not unreasonably obstruct the path of any driver or another pedestrian.
(3) For subrule (2), a pedestrian does not unreasonably obstruct the path of another pedestrian only by travelling more slowly than other pedestrians.
(4) A pedestrian must not stand on, or move onto, a road to—
(a) solicit contributions, employment or business from an occupant of a vehicle; or
(b) hitchhike; or
(c) display an advertisement; or
(d) sell or offer articles for sale; or
(e) wash or clean, or offer to wash or clean, the windscreen of a vehicle (other than a parked vehicle).

So a cyclist should give way to a pedestrian walking along a shared path at a constant rate?

By my reading of (1), if there is a line of peds walking in the same direction, even if some of them are in the wrong "lane", they have not caused an obstruction as they have not moved into the path of a driver (driver here obviously including a cyclist)

Do you read that the same way?

nezumi

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion