The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

All you can do is just shrug in sympathy and apologise to the pedestrians when that happens. It's what I do - for the better of us all.

Now, the pedestrians I wasn't pleased with were walking two abreast and could see me coming up the hill towards him fairly quickly trying to keep my speed up. So the husband I presume deliberately and defiantly stays where he is to force me to slow down to an excruciating slow speed on a long hill. He could have moved over. :x Extremely deliberate.

What's the bet this pedestrian is one who jumps in his SUV and menaces bicycle riders on the road?

And kudos to the awesome pedestrians walking along the Greystanes canal last night with the pram. Both times you moved entirely off the paved path and onto the grass when bicycle riders went past at night. That's very generous of you and good thinking given the reduced visibility. I went past slowly both times I went past you (I was just tacking about 2km extra onto my ride to make it 60km). :lol:
g-boaf

by BNA » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 pm

BNA

Re: Moron Cyclists

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 pm

g-boaf wrote:It was on the first page in this forum category.

And has been, uninterrupted since it first hit the forum almost FOUR years ago... :wink:

I'm no Judean revolutionary so I'll be merging these threads.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby MisuVir » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 pm

g-boaf wrote:He could have moved over. :x Extremely deliberate.

I'm always tempted to come to a complete stop, angle my bike across both lanes, and patiently stare at them until they walk around me. Not sure if they'd get the point though.
MisuVir

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:24 pm

MisuVir wrote:
g-boaf wrote:He could have moved over. :x Extremely deliberate.

I'm always tempted to come to a complete stop, angle my bike across both lanes, and patiently stare at them until they walk around me. Not sure if they'd get the point though.

I've been known to come to a screeching half right in front of pedestrians who won't share.
jasonc

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:Now, the pedestrians I wasn't pleased with were walking two abreast and could see me coming up the hill towards him fairly quickly trying to keep my speed up. So the husband I presume deliberately and defiantly stays where he is to force me to slow down to an excruciating slow speed on a long hill. He could have moved over. :x Extremely deliberate.

i know they're trying to provoke you, but the best thing to do is stay calm, slow down and gently approach him at a safe speed, look him in the eye and wait for him to move. he won't expect you to put the ball back in his court :)
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:41 pm

That's exactly what I did, Jules. :) He had to move over eventually.

I slowed a bit and then cranked the speed up again. Cursing as I cranked the pedals over each time. :(
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
g-boaf

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:42 pm

g-boaf wrote:That's exactly what I did, Jules. :) He had to move over eventually.

there you go.. win :)
jules21

Postby richbee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
skull wrote:We have a thread on this already.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

We only have one for dumb cyclists and peds, not moron cyclists.... I hate to say it but just like there are some moron motorists, motorcyclists, and peds, there are also some moron cyclists - except maybe me and whoever is reading this post at the time. :)

No I really really wanted to start a "Moron Cyclists" thread :twisted:

But thank you all for showing me the right place, clearly I should've expanded my search terms to include the word 'dumb', but I figure that i'd have still got to the end of the fourth search page and still not found reference to it amongst the flood of Moron Motorist posts
richbee

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:00 pm

richbee wrote:But thank you all for showing me the right place, clearly I should've expanded my search terms to include the word 'dumb', but I figure that i'd have still got to the end of the fourth search page and still not found reference to it amongst the flood of Moron Motorist posts

Quick tip - go to advanced search and set "Display results as:" to "Topics" rather than "Posts". Ironically that gives me this thread as the first hit, but maybe that's because of the thread merge :)
InTheWoods

Postby skull » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:56 pm

richbee wrote:

hehe

But thank you all for showing me the right place, clearly I should've expanded my search terms to include the word 'dumb', but I figure that i'd have still got to the end of the fourth search page and still not found reference to it amongst the flood of Moron Motorist posts

Are you using a tablet or phone browser? I find viewing the forums a bit rubbish using tapatalk, I end up in places like the WA forums. Damn sandgropers.
skull

Postby rheicel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Sorry: Wrong post :(
Last edited by rheicel on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rheicel

Postby skull » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Wrong thread, unless you did something dumb when you turned. Looks like a case of SMIDSY from the driver.

Also at first I thought you were in a car due to your speed and keeping up with the traffic.
skull

Postby rheicel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:20 pm

skull wrote:Wrong thread, unless you did something dumb when you turned. Looks like a case of SMIDSY from the driver.

Also at first I thought you were in a car due to your speed and keeping up with the traffic.

I have edited the post now, sorry!
rheicel

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Oh god... Dumb pedestrian in Western Sydney Regional park walking her dog. She had the music going on the iPhone or something so damn loud she had no way of knowing I was right behind her, crawling along at 5km/h. I can't go any slower.

And of course she just about launches into orbit when she realises I'm right behind her. :lol: :lol: Her reaction was priceless, but she could have saved herself the scare by being more alert. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Here is my story for today. I'm not sure I want to label anybody dumb though.... Just wanted to share....

So I'm cruising along this evening, heading out for Thursday night drinks looking dapper in my cap and thus wearing no helmet. (Which is very rare for me. Both looking dapper and wear no helmet.) A brightly coloured Serious Cyclist overtakes my as I'm going along leisurely (aka slowly). He looks serious, he is riding seriously and is wearing lots some high vis lycra. Anyway I manage to keep up as I time the lights well...

Along Rathdown and up to Queensberry, I hit the lights as they turn green leaving a half dozen cyclists waiting for the hook turn light. Unfortunately somebody didn't press the button so they miss an entire cycle. The Serious Cyclist gives the poor lady cyclist an earful for blocking the cycle lane. Sure she wasn't meant to be there but its not her fault the intersection is badly designed, I wasn't worried about the slight delay but then today I'm dapper and in no hurry....

So here I am debating whether I should have a few words to this cyclist about civility, but I decide to stay friendly and civil and keep my mouth shut. Another 200m and this Serious Cyclist is yelling at a taxi, I didn't exactly see why but it didn't it seems that there is a chip on the shoulder here today. So somewhere in the next block as we now are in the CBD I manage to catch a bit more of a glimpse of the Serious Cyclists. Then I start looking a few more identify features and realise that this guy is a friend of mine!

We exchange greetings and quickly jokes about the wars on the road during peak hour. I think he was a little embarrassed at his road attitude being observed by someone he knows. I had reached my destination so I peel off and say my goodbyes.....

There is no point to this story really. Some people have their angry cyclist days, I've certainly been there. Sometimes it is completely justifiable if 3 cars try to kill you in 100m... But most of the time it is far more pleasant to simply enjoy the ride.....
human909

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 am

human909 wrote:Here is my story for today. I'm not sure I want to label anybody dumb though.... Just wanted to share....

So I'm cruising along this evening, heading out for Thursday night drinks looking dapper in my cap and thus wearing no helmet. (Which is very rare for me. Both looking dapper and wear no helmet.) A brightly coloured Serious Cyclist overtakes my as I'm going along leisurely (aka slowly). He looks serious, he is riding seriously and is wearing lots some high vis lycra. Anyway I manage to keep up as I time the lights well...

Along Rathdown and up to Queensberry, I hit the lights as they turn green leaving a half dozen cyclists waiting for the hook turn light. Unfortunately somebody didn't press the button so they miss an entire cycle. The Serious Cyclist gives the poor lady cyclist an earful for blocking the cycle lane. Sure she wasn't meant to be there but its not her fault the intersection is badly designed, I wasn't worried about the slight delay but then today I'm dapper and in no hurry....

So here I am debating whether I should have a few words to this cyclist about civility, but I decide to stay friendly and civil and keep my mouth shut. Another 200m and this Serious Cyclist is yelling at a taxi, I didn't exactly see why but it didn't it seems that there is a chip on the shoulder here today. So somewhere in the next block as we now are in the CBD I manage to catch a bit more of a glimpse of the Serious Cyclists. Then I start looking a few more identify features and realise that this guy is a friend of mine!

We exchange greetings and quickly jokes about the wars on the road during peak hour. I think he was a little embarrassed at his road attitude being observed by someone he knows. I had reached my destination so I peel off and say my goodbyes.....

There is no point to this story really. Some people have their angry cyclist days, I've certainly been there. Sometimes it is completely justifiable if 3 cars try to kill you in 100m... But most of the time it is far more pleasant to simply enjoy the ride.....

I believe I snapped a photo of you. :lol:

biker jk

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:12 am

richbee wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
skull wrote:We have a thread on this already.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

We only have one for dumb cyclists and peds, not moron cyclists.... I hate to say it but just like there are some moron motorists, motorcyclists, and peds, there are also some moron cyclists - except maybe me and whoever is reading this post at the time. :)

Yes richbee I think we should be revolting!!!!!!!!

MR. MOD WE NEED A MORON CYCLIST THREAD - and we are going to be revolting until we get one...... :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 am

human909 wrote:Here is my story for today. I'm not sure I want to label anybody dumb though.... Just wanted to share....

I think we see that quite often but with the stresses of work, traffic, and just the fast pace of life these days I think sometimes we have these brain farts. I know I caught myself doing this in traffic on my motorcycle a couple of years ago and decided to do something about it and lighten up. I have since found that doing the 'simply enjoying the ride' that you are talking about here is the only sane way to cycle, motorcycle or perish the thought drive the ccccaaaaaaarrrrrrrr, and you get to your destination in a better mood and probably a lot safer.

Good one H9 I am glad you have joined the chill out club..... :)
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby malnar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 am

"He might chase your tyres", the owner of the large dog sheepishly told me as I rode by on the shared path.
malnar

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 am

human909 wrote:We exchange greetings and quickly jokes about the wars on the road during peak hour. I think he was a little embarrassed at his road attitude being observed by someone he knows. I had reached my destination so I peel off and say my goodbyes.....

this sort of happened to me once. a driver came blasting over the section of bike lane on la trobe street where it cuts out into the LH car lane to make space for parking spaces. i was in the parking spaces keeping left, but for all the driver knew - i could have followed the bike lane into their path. i caught up with them and was about to give them an absolute bollocking, tapped on the window... and thought 'that looks like one of my bosses', smiled and rode on. i don't think it was my boss - i didn't really get a good enough look and didn't hang around to confirm - but i got a mighty shock. mind you, they deserved a bollocking.
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:17 am

malnar wrote:"He might chase your tyres", the owner of the large dog sheepishly told me as I rode by on the shared path.

That's alright, because you've got no rights to object or complain. I don't like dogs that chase. On had it happen a couple of times thankfully.
g-boaf

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 am

g-boaf wrote:
malnar wrote:"He might chase your tyres", the owner of the large dog sheepishly told me as I rode by on the shared path.

That's alright, because you've got no rights to object or complain. I don't like dogs that chase. On had it happen a couple of times thankfully.

If I am riding with my partner and see a dog on a path that isn't on a leash I call out a standard warning:

"Mobile speedhump!"
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:37 am

Some of them just think their dog is an angel and won't hurt anyone, while the thing is lunging forward like a wild thing. :shock: The route I ride is usually free of dogs for the most part.

I did see one afternoon a while back a lady I've written about riding her bike while walking her dog (with the lead connected to the left handlebar. This time she was out with husband and both were doing the same thing, side by side. :shock: If those dogs decided to take off, the two of them would have crashed.
g-boaf

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:54 pm

When I was a wee kidlet I kept a full-length frame pump on my bike - to fend off canines.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 pm

On country roads I have had occasion to throw rocks at running dogs. It works, they scarper off home quickly!
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion