The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:17 am

For those playing along without frame pumps, a water bottle can work wonders for dogs. Confuses many of them no end when the big thing they're running after wets their face.

I haven't had a true moron encounter for weeks, it's been nice. Until saturday. MTB'er on bike path near Cromer golfie on saturday arvo dinging his bell madly, pushing 50+ down the bike path past families with wobbly kids. There's a time and a place moron, and that wasn't either of them.

Jim
familyguy

by BNA » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:13 pm

BNA

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:13 pm

more dog lunacy on the shared path.. two puppies let loose and running around the path last night about 50m ahead of their owners. as i slow to walking pace, one of the dogs darts right in front of my wheel. i could have run over it, or fallen myself. the moron owner sees this unfold from a way back, and starts yelling 'sooorryyyyy! sooorryyy!' sorry about what? that you decided to endanger your dogs and me by deliberately letting them off the leash on a shared path? i told him to leash them, which he at least appeared to be doing as i rode on. honestly, do dogs carry some kind of brain-devouring virus that renders their owners stupid?
jules21

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Dumb cyclist last night. Riding along The Esplanade eastbound (two-lane each way road), coming up to Barrack Street where both lanes turn left and the right lane is a shared right turn. Cyclist turns right from the left lane in front of left turning traffic.
wellington_street

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 pm

wellington_street wrote:Dumb cyclist last night. Riding along The Esplanade eastbound (two-lane each way road), coming up to Barrack Street where both lanes turn left and the right lane is a shared right turn. Cyclist turns right from the left lane in front of left turning traffic.

Some people don't quite make it when it comes to being bright..... :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Solidly sick of rude wheelsuckers and tryhards of late.

One guy on the weekend on Reid Highway shaves me (in the middle of nowhere) rides ahead 100m then sits up and plays with his mobile whilst weaving on and off the road/shoulder making overtaking a hazardous event.

Three separate guys wheelsucking for up to 10 km then overtaking as if they are in a crit. Two of these sprinted off 20m (whilst looking over their shoulders expecting me to be chasing) then turned off. The third guy this morning wheelsucks for several kilometres, sees in the distance (100m) an ebike travelling at the same speed as me, bridges the gap to him then proceeds to wheelsuck him. None of these guys acknowledged me, indicated their presence or offered to share the load.

Yes you guys are smarter than me, the silly sucker pushing the air. Fitter than me because you beat me in a sprint of your choosing during a commute home and clearly more deserving of CCR accolades.

Sorry whinge over but after almost being cleaned up by a wheelsucker when I had to undertake an emergency stop and didn't know this guy was there I consider this behaviour dangerous and antisocial.

BTW quite happy for people to wheelsuck if they acknowledge their presence, assist on the front or say thank you.

IT IS NOT A RACE!
CXCommuter

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:36 pm

The man with plenty of KOMs says it isn't a race. :lol:

I don't like people following my wheel very closely either. It just makes me uneasy. :?
g-boaf

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:08 pm

CXCommuter wrote:IT IS NOT A RACE!

Dumb Cyclist = me. I thought it was ALWAYS a race.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:30 pm

bychosis wrote:

what do you mean? more than 1 bike makes it a race, unless it's an ITT of course.
jasonc

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:16 pm

KOMs are all solo efforts trying to outdo my own PR's- two are actually my regular commute that no one else is likely to ride. I actually have no problems with 'racing' / competitive cycling- done safely it improves everyone involved. I have seen this plenty of times, but there is a tacit understanding between all involved often finishing with a thanks and/or a chat. But I dislike the wheelsucker who arrives unannounced, lazes about behind someone then once utilised moves on to the next victim. It all changes if a cyclist announces their presence and asks for assistance (rare but does happen).

If I happen to ride at a similar pace to another rider I will sit back 5-10m (and have seen others doing this to me also)

I have all respect for cyclists who can hold their own whilst riding without having to rely on others perceived generosity.
CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 pm

bychosis wrote:

Bychosis- of course it is always a race- against yourself. Other times more may be involved
CXCommuter

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Having said that, drafting someone then blasting past just before turning off isn't racing, but racing yourself includes catching and passing everyone possible too :) not just KOMs
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:24 pm

CXCommuter wrote:KOMs are all solo efforts trying to outdo my own PR's- two are actually my regular commute that no one else is likely to ride. I actually have no problems with 'racing' / competitive cycling- done safely it improves everyone involved. I have seen this plenty of times, but there is a tacit understanding between all involved often finishing with a thanks and/or a chat. But I dislike the wheelsucker who arrives unannounced, lazes about behind someone then once utilised moves on to the next victim. It all changes if a cyclist announces their presence and asks for assistance (rare but does happen).

If I happen to ride at a similar pace to another rider I will sit back 5-10m (and have seen others doing this to me also)

I have all respect for cyclists who can hold their own whilst riding without having to rely on others perceived generosity.

Don't worry, I'm just stirring. :lol: I agree with you. I really dislike it when someone follows behind me really closely. I'm just not used to it.

If I'm riding along and following someone who I'm not quite quick enough to pass and leave behind, I usually stick back about 3-4 bike lengths.
g-boaf

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 pm

I find it amusing when you get some wheelsuckers that jump on when youre in the recovery/taking it easy part of the ride only to wait for that bit of road to really ramp up the pace to see if they will still stay there. I've lost count on the amount of times where someone has followed directly in my wheel tracks from Toombul to Hamilton road along Sandgate road only to ramp it up to speeds of 45-60kph and wonder where they disappeared too going over the railway overpass/servos :P
Lukeyboy

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:12 pm

bychosis wrote:Having said that, drafting someone then blasting past just before turning off isn't racing, but racing yourself includes catching and passing everyone possible too :) not just KOMs

Agree completely- KOMs are just the icing on the cake- catching and passing people is pure CCR- which I love. Just not wheelsuckers.

Mind you have had several occasions when up to 8-10 roadies have given each other the nod whilst waiting at the lights at Karrinyup Road on the PSP of an afternoon (sorry Perth NOR reference)- all hell breaks loose once the lights change- pure CCR fun, then it isn't wheelsucking it is agreed upon tactics.
CXCommuter

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 pm

This cyclist would be pretty dumb... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

LANGUAGE WARNING - Cyclist's interaction with a Police Officer in Perth ... didn't go to well for either party ... See the The West for the video.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby AKO » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:LANGUAGE WARNING - Cyclist's interaction with a Police Officer in Perth ... didn't go to well for either party ... See the The West for the video.

Andrew

I saw the video but had no idea it was a cyclist. I was curious as to what he had been fined for and why he had a camera on in the first place. Explains it for me.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 pm

AKO wrote:
Aushiker wrote:LANGUAGE WARNING - Cyclist's interaction with a Police Officer in Perth ... didn't go to well for either party ... See the The West for the video.

Andrew

I saw the video but had no idea it was a cyclist. I was curious as to what he had been fined for and why he had a camera on in the first place. Explains it for me.

He was fined for not wearing a helmet, hence why he was a bit annoyed..

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6764953026
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:09 pm

The law's the law.

No justification for swearing at the cop.
No justification for the cops reaction.

Another slow news day it seems.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby tekapo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:30 pm

RonK wrote:This cyclist would be pretty dumb... :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9292219 ... ook-Strait

It seems like he had quite a bit of time to prepare as well.

GPS, radios, flares, and surely he could have found a support vessel that could have stayed with him the entire trip. Wellington to Picton is only about 90k.
tekapo

Postby Robinho » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:40 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
bychosis wrote:Having said that, drafting someone then blasting past just before turning off isn't racing, but racing yourself includes catching and passing everyone possible too :) not just KOMs

Agree completely- KOMs are just the icing on the cake- catching and passing people is pure CCR- which I love. Just not wheelsuckers.

Mind you have had several occasions when up to 8-10 roadies have given each other the nod whilst waiting at the lights at Karrinyup Road on the PSP of an afternoon (sorry Perth NOR reference)- all hell breaks loose once the lights change- pure CCR fun, then it isn't wheelsucking it is agreed upon tactics.
that is a great spot for some CCR, I'm normally shot by the time I reach gribble
Robinho

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 pm

bloke riding a cannondale behine Brisbane Grammar School this afternoon, whilst on his mobile phone. Went past "don't do that".
turns out he was looking for lifecycle. I provided directions. phone stopped being used
jasonc

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Robinho wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Agree completely- KOMs are just the icing on the cake- catching and passing people is pure CCR- which I love. Just not wheelsuckers.
that is a great spot for some CCR, I'm normally shot by the time I reach gribble

That is also the same spot pedestrians pop out from the bottom of downhill path, and I rode past an after-dark incident with cyclist down/ambulance there. I'd like to think daylight is better odds, but a pedestrian popping out in time to see them whether it's light or dark is too late in that time/space equation. Pelotons in CCR are like quantum physics rules don't apply so nothing to see here =D

CXCommuter I've been crashed into the back of and had derailleur tweaked by two roadies wheel sucking me on my e-bike on Telford Crescent by Stirling Civic Gardnes when I had to stop for a Territory at the Tahlia Drive intersection of the PSP. "Gee it brakes well" was one comment, well it's slower top speed and not any better braking than any of my other bikes, I'm just on the brakes ready and looking to first angle past the blind spot, not the back wheel of guy in front =P I ride the road around that intersection now, and have changed my passing versus hang back threshold.

There is one chunky serial wheel sucker with a gym/fitness health club blue portion black backpack I've identified on the regular commute, always entertaining seeing his behaviour, most recent incident I've seen him in he nearly lost his victim at Hutton St. lights heading north and dumped his water mid drink and Darwin-dived in front of a truck to keep hold of his victim on the downhill towards Stirling. There are some characters =D

Yesterday I saw the aftermath of a Fixi guy with no brakes or helmet presumably coming off second best with cars at Leederville Loftus/Farmer Fwy intersection. He looked OK, nice looking bike, the safety hat looked busted though.

eldavo

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:22 pm

I know the issues with CCR and north of Karrinyup Road that pedestrian intersection is dangerous- had a bike roll out there earlier this year- I always give a little extra room here JIC. I am certain I know the guy with the backpack. As to wheelsucking you on your e-bike- they must be bloody quick to keep up with you as I couldn't.

On a separate note I was a dumb cyclist- almost clipstacking as the lights changed as I unclipped on Hepburn/Wanneroo Rd intersection yesterday. Tried to pedal but the unclipped foot slipped and almost fell over onto my clipped in side. Just unclipped in time for a rather ungainly dismount.

CCR action DOES NOT mean dangerous riding, if you cannot ride with people without undertaking darwin award activities give it up. Had one yesterday- the instant sprinter. Rolled past me at ~45km north of Karrinyup (me mid 30's) then died before getting to Erindale Rd underpass.
CXCommuter

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I wasn't on my e-bike Tuesday morning, but I may have seen the one you mentioned as I've noticed a new e-bike like these on the route, spinning very high cadence, I was on my geared hub commuter Tuesday afternoon and was keeping within eye shot of the bike and similar paced others around Leederville to Karrinyup thanks to the tail wind, but they must have got a light and dropped the CCR flag as I didn't see them after that.

On to the topic, I don't count pedestrians anymore, it's just so predictable... there i've done it, I'm going to find a new way to be surprised this afternoon. I did have some bizarre Friday special entertainment last week similar time...
eldavo

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion