The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Absolutely shocked and speechless - a POBSO was riding along the narrow concrete MEDIAN strip on the Horsley Drive mid-morning near the section closest to Daniel Street. :shock: No helmet either.

The man must have a death wish. I still can't quite believe what I saw.
Cervelo P5
Giant TCR SL1
Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

by BNA » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm

BNA

Postby MoeJoe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm

g-boaf wrote:Absolutely shocked and speechless - a POBSO was riding along the narrow concrete MEDIAN strip on the Horsley Drive mid-morning near the section closest to Daniel Street. :shock: No helmet either.

Do not underestimate the supreme knuckleheadness of your fellow man :shock:
Just when you thought you have see it all, *someone* has to prove you wrong.

I know the section you are talking about and it has to be a bad idea anytime of the day, especially mid morning on a weekday.
Surely the path on the south side of the Horsley Drive begging to be ridden would be a big clue and wise to use, but ...... nah.....
MoeJoe

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:26 pm

I saw this cyclist coming in from my left and sensed he was not going to look or stop before the stop sign so had back off. I think he head my brakes grab (disc) as he looked up at the last moment and braked as he crossed the stop sign. You can see in the video both brakes applied hard.

At least slow down and check for traffic at stop signs if you want to yield to them; just barreling through could be nasty.

This was the at the intersection of Stevens Street and Attfield Street, Fremantle.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 pm

MoeJoe wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Absolutely shocked and speechless - a POBSO was riding along the narrow concrete MEDIAN strip on the Horsley Drive mid-morning near the section closest to Daniel Street. :shock: No helmet either.

Do not underestimate the supreme knuckleheadness of your fellow man :shock:
Just when you thought you have see it all, *someone* has to prove you wrong.

I know the section you are talking about and it has to be a bad idea anytime of the day, especially mid morning on a weekday.
Surely the path on the south side of the Horsley Drive begging to be ridden would be a big clue and wise to use, but ...... nah.....

Yeah, that path is quite wide and reasonable. It has to be preferable to the median - the guy is lucky no traffic was coming in either direction. Did I mention he had to jump the bike over the two concrete slabs that had buckled upwards? :shock:
Cervelo P5
Giant TCR SL1
Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby stretts » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am

A couple silly cyclists in this random clip I made.

#1 filtering up beside a big truck with no ASL at front of intersection, some people do it but id rather take a dominant position on the road in this instance.

#2 Decides to blitz it through a red light.

stretts

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

Time for a change of mood here.

Very slow pedestrians today. 8)

I stopped and walked slowly behind them rather than flying past. :D Unfortunately they'll likely become the next meal for the local foxes. :(

Now I return you to your normal programming. :D
Cervelo P5
Giant TCR SL1
Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby MisuVir » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:04 am

g-boaf wrote:Very slow pedestrians today. 8)

I once stopped to let a family of ducks cross the path... only to have the next cyclist speed straight through the middle of them.
MisuVir

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 am

MisuVir wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Very slow pedestrians today. 8)

I once stopped to let a family of ducks cross the path... only to have the next cyclist speed straight through the middle of them.

They'd have to crash into me first. :) Can't tell you how pleased I was to see these lovely little things. Everyone that went through there stopped to look at them. At first I wondered what the heck was ahead - did someone dump some rubbish? Only when I got closer I realised it was two ducks with the little ones following. 8)

How I wish I had my proper camera instead of the iPhone. :mrgreen:
Cervelo P5
Giant TCR SL1
Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:20 am

stretts wrote:#2 Decides to blitz it through a red light.

that was amber when he entered.
jasonc

Postby stretts » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:22 am

jasonc wrote:

It was very close, he was still in the intersection when the opposing lights went green which imo is a bit late. If it is a small intersection then i may have let it slip *shrugs*

"Yellow light: This indicates that the lights are about to change to red. You must not enter the intersection unless you are so close to the stop line that you are unable to stop safely without entering the intersection or risking a rear-end crash with vehicles following you. - See more at: http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/t ... kU9PI.dpuf "

If the two of us in front of him could stop safely, no reason he could have as well?

Last edited by stretts on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
stretts

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:27 am

jasonc wrote:

Accelerating to drive through an amber light is regarded as just as bad as running the red (and can be prosecuted by red-light/speed cameras in Victoria).
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:They'd have to crash into me first. :)

You a good man Mr Concorde. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:30 pm

il padrone wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Accelerating to drive through an amber light is regarded as just as bad as running the red (and can be prosecuted by red-light/speed cameras in Victoria).

I sort of do that quite alot but mostly because I carry more momentum than what cars normally take into the same intersection. Especially in the wet. Far easier and safer to continue at pace rather than have to jump heavily on the brakes and hopefully pull up somewhere before the middle of the intersection. Just for reference I'm a person that casually takes a recommended 20kph hairpin at a minimum of 35kph mid corner :P.
Lukeyboy

Postby tekapo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Why the hell do people filter through traffic like that? As a cyclists, I think that's rather stupid, as a driver I might not have noticed if some one snuck up like that. If you are that truck driver stopped at the light, you would know there is a car stopped to your left, cars stopped behind, a bicycle stopped behind as you stopped. Then your attention would turn to the oncoming and cross traffic and the lights. How many people would actually check the side and rear view mirrors at that stage???

As to the guy running the amber red. Its a big intersection, two bikes ahead are slowing down for the lights. Why would he decide its the perfect time to over take?
tekapo

Postby stretts » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
I sort of do that quite alot but mostly because I carry more momentum than what cars normally take into the same intersection. Especially in the wet. Far easier and safer to continue at pace rather than have to jump heavily on the brakes and hopefully pull up somewhere before the middle of the intersection. Just for reference I'm a person that casually takes a recommended 20kph hairpin at a minimum of 35kph mid corner :P.

Haha yh its a bit different at speed, but this guy was sitting behind us at no more than 20kph and would have been able to stop easily. If I was in a bunch doing 45kmh at the very same point we were at in the video there is no doubt you would not be able to stop in reasonable time.
stretts

Postby stretts » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:40 pm

tekapo wrote:Why the hell do people filter through traffic like that? As a cyclists, I think that's rather stupid, as a driver I might not have noticed if some one snuck up like that. If you are that truck driver stopped at the light, you would know there is a car stopped to your left, cars stopped behind, a bicycle stopped behind as you stopped. Then your attention would turn to the oncoming and cross traffic and the lights. How many people would actually check the side and rear view mirrors at that stage???

As to the guy running the amber red. Its a big intersection, two bikes ahead are slowing down for the lights. Why would he decide its the perfect time to over take?

There was about a minute and a half prior to the clip when he decided to stick behind us as well with plenty of opportunity to overtake - so yh, weird time to decide to do so at the lights.
stretts

Postby tekapo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
il padrone wrote:
jasonc wrote:[quote="stretts"]#2 Decides to blitz it through a red light.

I sort of do that quite alot but mostly because I carry more momentum than what cars normally take into the same intersection. Especially in the wet. Far easier and safer to continue at pace rather than have to jump heavily on the brakes and hopefully pull up somewhere before the middle of the intersection. Just for reference I'm a person that casually takes a recommended 20kph hairpin at a minimum of 35kph mid corner :P.[/quote]

If I am at pace, at times I would accelerate at amber, its gut feeling on whether I can stop safely in time or not. Overall I am a 90% stop at amber guy. However, if its a big intersection like the one shown, I would definitely try to stop because I would not have clear vision of all the cross traffic, and the time to cross is increased by 2-3 times compared to normal. I would not have attempted to over take and then run an amber.
tekapo

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:00 pm

big intersection, I probably would have stopped too
jasonc

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 pm

il padrone wrote:Accelerating to drive through an amber light is regarded as just as bad as running the red (and can be prosecuted by red-light/speed cameras in Victoria).

he definitely failed to stop on the amber but wouldn't be picked up by a camera - those will only trigger if you enter the intersection on red (and even then they give you a bit of grace), which he didn't do.
jules21

Postby frailer5 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:15 am

Not sure if this little rant belongs here, but not worth a separate thread...
I ride to work between Hornsby/Mt Kuring-gai, most weekdays. Ride an 80s hand-built steelie, am 65, not paunchy, reasonably fit, though not super-fast, (working on that bit...). Got the route pretty much to myself.
Of course, on weekends, the warriors are out. This morning (Saturday), a lone De Ro$a carbon passes, not all that quickly. Not a glance or 'G'morning/hi'. Same again when a bunch of 5 pass me (fairly slowly). Well, they had to deviate a little to get around me, so I assume they knew I was there, though you'd never guess.
Is old-style etiquette dying? Am I in the wrong neighbourhood? Are there more narcissists on expensive carbon these days? Does the bit of grey hair at base of Helmet mean I'm not worth the breath? So many questions...
I guess I need to lower my expectations. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.
frailer5

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:29 am

If they said hello, would you say hello back?

I've tried saying hello to many on steel bikes only to be totally ignored. Perhaps those other riders had encountered that too and figured it was a lost cause. I say hello anyhow, however much it gets no response sometimes. It seems like carbon-bike makes you the enemy some days. Ah well, you can't please everyone - and I'll try to be cheerful as much as possible. :)
Cervelo P5
Giant TCR SL1
Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby outnabike » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 pm

frailer5 wrote:Not sure if this little rant belongs here, but not worth a separate thread...
:|

Maybe of interest to you.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71520
outnabike

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Fwiw, hi!
BianchiCam

Postby Steve_F » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 am

I too am not sure if this little rant belongs here, but not worth a separate thread...

I was left hooked by a group ride this morning.

For those who know Adelaide, I was riding south along Seaview Road West Beach, coming up to the West Beach Road roundabout. This is a very popular cyclist route with many cyclists of various abilities. The choices at this roundabout are straight ahead or left. Straight ahead mainly feeds to a small beach carpark, but cyclists can hook up to the beach front shared path and cycle the next few k's along the coast. If you want to stay on a road you go left.

Nine times out of ten I go left here and stay on the road. But today I felt like meandering along the beach shared path given it was such a nice morning.

I was traveling at around 25kph and was maybe 8 seconds from the roundabout when I first heard the group coming up behind me. I had just started to move out into the lane to ensure a car didn't try and take me in the roundabout. They were moving pretty quickly, I'd guess at least 40kph and I had no doubt they'd be turning. There was a good 30 in the group and if I didn't slow and almost stop, I would have collided with the rear half of the group. I didn't think to unclip and nearly had a clipstack.

In the end no damage was done, but I'm not sure that would have been the case if they'd come on me a few seconds later. I may have had presence of mind to just go around the corner, but I can't be sure.

I was a bit pissed off - they'd done a hook turn on me. I had to take evasive action to avoid a collision with them and nearly stacked it. I'm sure if a car did the same to them they'd be screaming abuse at them.

This consumed me for the rest of my ride. I don't think there is anything I could have done differently. I'm not experienced with riding in large groups but I can't help think they should have taken more care around me. I imagine it's not easy when traveling that fast in large groups, but surely they need to be consider of other road users, especially in areas like this where there are going to be a lot recreational cyclist around. Is there some group etiquette that should have come into play?
Steve_F

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Today's dumb cyclist was me. Flight from the UK got in yesterday morning. Woke up early due to jetlag so joined one of our local bunch rides.

Spend a month eating and drinking, do about 4 rides in that time (but none since Boxing Day), and then make your first ride back Nebo/Glorious. It did not go well... :lol:

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion