The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Saturnstarzz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:34 am

Not really dumb but cyclist was me climbing up the Latrobe Street near (whatever name the stadium is now) pop out of the saddle on the singlespeed MTB, then Bam on the deck bike ontop me, chain flapping around like a baby seagull. :shock: . One of the links had sheared in half. End result bark of the elbow, knees hands and swollen left quad. Dumb part was to save time so I wouldnt be late I got on my bike and rolled down the hills with no chain. :lol:
Saturnstarzz

by BNA » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 am

BNA

Postby biker jk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 am

Mr genius riding in a busy Centennial Park this morning with no hands on the bars. :shock: Pedestrian crosses, which he was late to see, and unsurprisingly his bike "control" was interesting at that point.
biker jk

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:55 pm

biker jk wrote:Mr genius riding in a busy Centennial Park this morning with no hands on the bars. :shock: Pedestrian crosses, which he was late to see, and unsurprisingly his bike "control" was interesting at that point.

Saw something like that at Sydney Uni. Riding with no hands (arms folded too) where there are pedestrians is just silly.

It looked to be a fixie too, no brakes on it that I could see.

Meanwhile - not really a dumb rider (smart actually), but I was followed the other day by a guy who would not take a turn on the front. I slowed, he slowed, I sped up, he sped up. He got some nice times though. (I did a whole stack of PRs myself).
g-boaf

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:57 am

If it bothers you just stop :idea:

Then haul ar$e to sit on his :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:18 am

Not really bothered, but thanks might be nice! :lol:

Anyhow, this mornings red light runners on Bridge Street Sydney were a Mail-call "148" and a guy on a Merida who went around the parked traffic onto the wrong side of the road to do his right turn through the red light to go up to the Governor Macquarie tower. Drivers see them doing this and assume we all run red lights. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby stretts » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Caught my first glimpse of the rare salmoning cyclist today flying down Magill road - when he saw me coming he graciously got out of my way onto the footpath, before re entering the bike lane to continue his salmoning ways
stretts

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Dumb Cyclist = Me

Perth - T-Intersection, Roe and Fitzgerald. Im heading West on Roe st, turning right into Fitzgerald.

Its usually quite busy during peak, so traffic at a stand still. Cars opposite turning left into Fitzgerald are stuck, i wait for oncoming traffic to clear, i look at the cars stationary who intend on turning left.

I make my move and jump the red, at the last second the car that had been waiting to turn left, now decides he dosnt want to wait and insteads goes straight, i almost got collected but braked in time, i didnt really have speed as i tok off slowly, would have been nasty.
jaseyjase

Postby MisuVir » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Dumb cyclists... Let's see...

Nearly got taken out by some fool woman who was riding along the footpath while I was in the bicycle lane. I was perhaps going twice their speed when they decided to enter an intersection and sweep out wide - looks like they were either going to cross the road or enter the bicycle lane I was in. Either way, they did it right as I was going past and nearly caused an incident.

The second dumb cyclist was at an intersection. He waited for the cross traffic to stop, but couldn't wait another 20 seconds for HIS green light... so he entered the intersection and sort of meandered diagonally across the intersection towards oncoming traffic. No idea what he was thinking - perhaps trying to ride diagonally across the intersection to get to the pedestrian crossing? Either way, riding directly towards oncoming traffic is stupid. Even stupider is the fact that if he had waited another 20 seconds, his side would have had a green light.
MisuVir

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:28 pm

So I see a dumb cyclist. I was in my car awaiting the red turning arrow and I see a cyclist in my mirror. Was an overweight person so I was interested in what they were riding. So I watch him pull upto the lights stop. Looks and turns left. 5 seconds later I get a green light which would have meant a green for him.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby human909 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Baalzamon wrote:So I see a dumb cyclist. I was in my car awaiting the red turning arrow and I see a cyclist in my mirror. Was an overweight person so I was interested in what they were riding. So I watch him pull upto the lights stop. Looks and turns left. 5 seconds later I get a green light which would have meant a green for him.

Sounds like a law breaking cyclist there, not a "dumb" cyclist. In many areas turning left on red (or right on red) is perfectly legal behaviour.
human909

Postby tekapo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:25 pm

human909 wrote:Sounds like a law breaking cyclist there, not a "dumb" cyclist. In many areas turning left on red (or right on red) is perfectly legal behaviour.

Yes, but I think typically there should be a sign for it.
tekapo

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:41 pm

The rider that decided he could pass three wide heading north with me and another rider just before the Narrows. Another rider was approaching us from the front and the offending rider only just made it, giving the rider coming towards us a bit of a shock.

Naturally, with the fool being behind us, myself and the girl that was safely passing me only got to know of it at the instant that all this happeded.

I checked the lie of the land behind me and it was clear lines of sight.

It is skinny track and there is ample opportunity to pass so I guess it was a matter of not wanting to lose speed or time. :?

The offending rider did acknowledge his error. Nt much good if it had gone pear shaped as it nearly did. However, with acknowledgement, one can hope that it is a lesson learnt and remembered.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby tekapo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:32 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The rider that decided he could pass three wide heading north with me and another rider just before the Narrows. Another rider was approaching us from the front and the offending rider only just made it, giving the rider coming towards us a bit of a shock.

Had the same thing yesterday along the boardwalk on the Yarra trail. Quite a beautiful morning, enjoying the ride at about 20k. Saw a group of about 10, single file, coming towards me on the other side. As I was about to pass the lead on the other side, someone decided it was the perfect time to over take me. It was near the ramp, not that narrow but not wide either. I guess riding behind me for an extra 30 seconds was too much to bear
tekapo

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:06 am

Birkdale Road Wellington Point 6:55 am Sunday morning - the boy racer didn't miss a beat straight through a red light and the only that stopped the moron going through the next one was that the traffic a little too close coming through the green at the next set of lights. Then the same moron boy racer would probably be on here the next day complaining about the moron motorists that showed him the contempt he deserves. If you are going to ride like that please stay out of the Redlands...
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:35 am

When this happened I thought, "crikey that was close" and the rider was an idiot both in terms of his "Strava segment hunting" and just the way this sort of riding adds fuel to the way we are perceived, rightly or wrongly. Watching the video I see that the rider had more control over the situation that I initially thought, however, I still consider it stupid behaviour. The guy needs to toughen up and to learn to sprint from when the lights go green; one day he may not be so smart and mis-judge it.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:

When this happened I thought, "crikey that was close" and the rider was an idiot both in terms of his "Strava segment hunting" and just the way this sort of riding adds fuel to the way we are perceived, rightly or wrongly. Watching the video I see that the rider had more control over the situation that I initially thought, however, I still consider it stupid behaviour. The guy needs to toughen up and to learn to sprint from when the lights go green; one day he may not be so smart and mis-judge it.

Andrew

Temporary Australian.
biker jk

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 pm

While it is great to see recreational cyclists out and about please don't leave your brian behind. I was lucky as I had glimpsed these riders on my approach and backed off more than I needed to do for this corner and hence missed being on the bend at the wrong time.

A little smart riding (and obeying of the law - it is an offence to ride two abreast on shared paths in WA) wouldn't go astray and make it pleasant for all concerned.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Me: Commuted in with the bottom compartment of my backpack wide open. Somehow my spare tube, pump, and shoe covers didn't fall out :shock: Didn't have to bring my lunch today, and that's where lunch normally goes so I forgot to close it up.
InTheWoods

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:32 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Me: Commuted in with the bottom compartment of my backpack wide open. Somehow my spare tube, pump, and shoe covers didn't fall out :shock: Didn't have to bring my lunch today, and that's where lunch normally goes so I forgot to close it up.

Did this last week- rode with other commuters all the way to work with several wheelsuckers- not one mentioned my backpack lid flapping in the wind...

Similar feeling to riding around with you knicks inside out (did this once also- thankfully in winter with thermals over the top)

Come to think of it, if it is a dumb cycling activity then I have done it
CXCommuter

Postby MisuVir » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:10 am

Skateboarder riding the roads in the Adelaide CBD peak traffic this morning. I would have been impressed except that he was cutting in front of busses and causing them to hit their brakes.
MisuVir

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:40 am

MisuVir wrote:Skateboarder riding the roads in the Adelaide CBD peak traffic this morning. I would have been impressed except that he was cutting in front of busses and causing them to hit their brakes.

Two skateboarders were doing that on Friday last week - right down the middle of the new one lane only sections of Elizabeth St, Melbourne CBD just before Bourke St. The cars behind weren't suitably impressed.
Summernight

Postby human909 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:While it is great to see recreational cyclists out and about please don't leave your brian behind.

Poor Brian, he seems to be getting left behind quite often these days. :cry:

Unfortunately I don't even have a Brian....
human909

Postby nezumi » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:37 pm

2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby tekapo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:56 pm

MisuVir wrote:Skateboarder riding the roads in the Adelaide CBD peak traffic this morning. I would have been impressed except that he was cutting in front of busses and causing them to hit their brakes.

Not skateboards, but just a guy walking across the front of a truck. The light has been green for a good 30 seconds, I just crossed the intersection and then to the side of the road to lock the bike up. The truck was just beginning to move as the traffic cleared allowing it to turn right. Then I started to hear the truck driver screaming at the guy, while the guy just nonchalantly kept on walking and cross the street. The drive probably screamed a good minute with the pedestrian "sorry sorry sorry" as he walks off.
tekapo

Postby KenGS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:18 pm

human909 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:While it is great to see recreational cyclists out and about please don't leave your brian behind.

Poor Brian, he seems to be getting left behind quite often these days. :cry:

Unfortunately I don't even have a Brian....

--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion