The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:13 am

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/no-lo ... z2nmD2tS2b

A female tourist was so engrossed in Facebook she walked off St Kilda pier :roll:

A young female tourist was so engrossed in Facebook on her mobile phone that she walked off St Kilda pier and almost drowned, police say.

She fell off the pier about 11.30pm on Monday, said police, but fortunately a witness called police.

Senior Constable Dean Kelly of the water police squad said he and fellow officers made the four-minute trip from Williamstown to St Kilda when alerted to the near-drowning.

Their high-speed boat arrived to find the woman floating about 30 metres from the pier.

‘‘She wasn’t splashing around too much. She wasn’t in a panic even though she was in the water for probably 20 minutes,’’ he said.

The woman had a backpack on, which may have helped her to stay buoyant, he said.

‘‘She wasn’t a good swimmer but she was floating OK ... on her back,’’ he said.

After police pulled her on to their craft, the woman explained what had happened.

‘‘She had a mobile phone in one of her hands and when we brought her onboard one of the first things she did was apologise and say sorry,’’ Senior Constable Kelly said.

‘‘She explained that she was on her phone checking her Facebook page when she fell into the water.’’
Ross

by BNA » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm

BNA

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Had one this morning on a section where I had to go on the footpath, thanks to stupid road design. Older woman walking her dog, the dog had stopped to relieve itself on the side of the path, she stopped next to it, staring off into space, blocking the whole path. Completely oblivious to the world so I just rode around on the grass (not ideal on a road bike but doable) and it was only after I had gone around her she realised anyone else existed.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby tekapo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Or how about the woman who sternly told me off on not ringing the bell. Despite that her friend (who I assumed) heard my bell (3 rings at that) and have shifted to the left and off the path. "Oh, I was talking" was her response. Oh, btw as her friend was going off the path on the left, she was actually drifting towards the middle and onto the right, despite that there was another bike coming on the opposite direction. Apparently she's blind as well.
tekapo

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 pm

to the idiot riding 2 abreast on the MYT who responded to my approaching him by riding a bit closer to his mate, allowing room for the 3 of us to pass with only mm to spare - you sir are truly an idiot.
jules21

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:19 pm

I'll think I'll be different today and nominate myself...... :roll:

Nearly got doored today, silly me though cruising down the bike lane at a slowish speed would be a nice, relaxing way to go home. Not a serious near miss, I could've stopped if I had really needed to. But the dang woman took another 20 seconds after I dodged around her to actually get out of the vehicle so no idea why she was so rushed to fling open the door.

Anyway, after reviewing the footage, I have decided that I was still too close to parked cars for that speed. Had she have done that 4 seconds later, I would've been splat.

Stay safe guys!

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Ross wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/no-lol-matter-tourist-falls-into-bay-while-on-facebook-20131218-2zjse.html#ixzz2nmD2tS2b

A female tourist was so engrossed in Facebook she walked off St Kilda pier :roll:

and how does one manage to do that???? :shock: You've really got to worry about how many others there are wandering around not paying attention to anything other than facebook, cause where there's one.......
FuzzyDropbear

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Happens quite alot (distractions via mobile). One stupid woman walked into a fountain inside a shopping centre and tried to sue - theres a video on youtube :P A couple people in qld were killed last year because of being hit by a vehicle after they walked onto the road while using their phone. One of them involved a bus IIRC.
Lukeyboy

Postby AKO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:41 am

After a week living large on the Gold Coast the family and I arrived at my parents house last night for the Christmas break. I thought I'd try and recover some lost fitness so took the bike out for a blat along the old canal at Greystanes. On a nice open stretch I was having a fair old go when I saw a couple walking towards me. We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance. Leaving only adequate room to stop, I yelled sternly "excuse me" and hit the picks locking up the rear wheel for maximum effect. She slowly raised her gaize and stepped slightly to her right to allow me to pass between her and her partner with mere mm's to spare.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 am

AKO wrote: We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance.

i've noticed this a bit of a 'thing' now. when you want to take up the whole footpath and someone is walking (or riding) towards you, just pretend you didn't see them and for added effect, be engrossed in conversation to emphasise the illusion.

or you could just politely move over a bit. but that's too hard for some people.
jules21

Postby brentono » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:01 am

jules21 wrote:
AKO wrote: We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance.

i've noticed this a bit of a 'thing' now. when you want to take up the whole footpath and someone is walking (or riding) towards you, just pretend you didn't see them and for added effect, be engrossed in conversation to emphasise the illusion.

or you could just politely move over a bit. but that's too hard for some people.

Could almost be the perfect definition for "IGNORANCE" Jules, and quite common with many people.
(happens on roads, in supermarkets, almost anywhere... some people feel it's their right/privilege :( )
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.
brentono

Postby jules21 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:09 am

brentono wrote:Could almost be the perfect definition for "IGNORANCE" Jules, and quite common with many people.
(happens on roads, in supermarkets, almost anywhere... some people feel it's their right/privilege :( )

i'd be lying to say i'd never fallen into that trap. but for some reason on my bike (and elsewhere) i usually make an effort to be polite. it doesn't hurt.
jules21

Postby outnabike » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:10 am

You have to be prepared for any thing with this NZ cyclist.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/2860 ... tgun-pants
outnabike

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:12 am

AKO wrote:After a week living large on the Gold Coast the family and I arrived at my parents house last night for the Christmas break. I thought I'd try and recover some lost fitness so took the bike out for a blat along the old canal at Greystanes. On a nice open stretch I was having a fair old go when I saw a couple walking towards me. We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance. Leaving only adequate room to stop, I yelled sternly "excuse me" and hit the picks locking up the rear wheel for maximum effect. She slowly raised her gaize and stepped slightly to her right to allow me to pass between her and her partner with mere mm's to spare.

You making us more considerate cyclists look bad to the peds? :!: :!: :!: :lol:

There is another lady who walks her dog always on the wrong side of that cycleway - and she is particularly defiant. I've told her what she is doing is pretty unsafe, her response is just "aw shuddup" I don't bother wasting my breath now.

They all know they can do as they wish, or have the perceived right to do so.

You could go down to the velodrome at Merrylands for track riding. Might run into the famous G.S. 8)
g-boaf

Postby AKO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:25 am

g-boaf wrote:
AKO wrote:After a week living large on the Gold Coast the family and I arrived at my parents house last night for the Christmas break. I thought I'd try and recover some lost fitness so took the bike out for a blat along the old canal at Greystanes. On a nice open stretch I was having a fair old go when I saw a couple walking towards me. We didn't make eye contact till about 30 metres out at which point the woman (who was on the wrong side of the path) stopped walking and looked down, in an act of what I can only assume was defiance. Leaving only adequate room to stop, I yelled sternly "excuse me" and hit the picks locking up the rear wheel for maximum effect. She slowly raised her gaize and stepped slightly to her right to allow me to pass between her and her partner with mere mm's to spare.

You making us more considerate cyclists look bad to the peds? :!: :!: :!: :lol:

There is another lady who walks her dog always on the wrong side of that cycleway - and she is particularly defiant. I've told her what she is doing is pretty unsafe, her response is just "aw shuddup" I don't bother wasting my breath now.

They all know they can do as they wish, or have the perceived right to do so.

You could go down to the velodrome at Merrylands for track riding...

I didn't know there was one there. I didn't start riding till I moved to Queensland so I'm not overly familiar with cycling infrastructure around my old stomping grounds. I'm considering riding over to visit my sisters in "the Shire" but don't think I'll be able to figure out a safe route.
Back on topic though, everyone else I encountered this morning was either polite or kept to themselves on the correct side of the path. Even mixed it with traffic along Merrylands road and received plenty of room from motorists.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:28 am

Go down Merrylands Road and at Centenary Road (just beside Merrylands swimming pool complex) there is small facility for track riding. I haven't been there yet - though I did get someone encouraging me to join. Having no brakes scares the heck out of me.
g-boaf

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 am

Couple of stupid cyclists this week:
- Riding home along the northern PSP at Leederville yesterday arvo opposite Lake Monger here in Sunny Perth overtaking a MTB POBSO (headphones in) who was ambling along, me at a fair clip, about 5 metres from him him abruptly (and I mean immediately turns 90 degrees across the path into the adjacent reserve (no path I could see) without looking, I missed t-boning this twit by about 5mm. Even with me yelling and braking he was completely unaware and continued across the dirt and grass.

This morning on the Narrows/Freo River Loop on Mounts Bay Road shared path the group of 20+ roadies with the entitlement complex- the cycleways are single file for a reason- one so people coming the other way can ride on the path and 2 people behind can overtake. Ambling along at 25km/h in a large group was moronic. I had to stop and join the road traffic to get past them :roll:
CXCommuter

Postby Biffidus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:08 pm

outnabike wrote:You have to be prepared for any thing with this NZ cyclist.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/2860 ... tgun-pants

I guess he wasn't happy to see them... (sorry)
Biffidus

Postby wexford » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:58 am

A combination of ped and cyclist here. I was going too quick for the conditions, which were: PSP eastbound passing McIvor Station (Perth), up ahead there's a bridge and in the shadow I spot a figure lurching into my path from the opposite side. I sit up and stop pedalling, then as I approach closer the ped is now oncoming on "my" side. I begin braking, but not enough, and as I go to take evasive action to my left, he lurches again to his right.

Big collision, I've bowled him over and hit a bollard off to the side myself, busting the front wheel and landing on my back and banging my head on something pretty solid. Small crowd of people checking us both, he's not feeling any pain and more concerned with the plastic Coffee Chill bottle from which he was sniffing petrol. I take myself off to the hospital and set about replacing my front wheel and helmet.

$600 in replacement kit, a week off the bike and a couple more of pain from a "pelvic girdle sprain" and I've learned to ride to the conditions!
wexford

Postby malnar » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:57 am

Riding on a shared path early this morning about 100m ahead I see a woman standing on the edge of the path with 3 beagles. They were giving her 110% enthusiastic attention as she was holding some food treats just out of their reach. They were clearly excited but were disciplined enough to be sitting. Gorgeous scene. I was enjoying watching the beagles as I passed at about 20km/h. I didn't acknowledge the woman or make eye contact with her. Then she says 'you're welcome' as I pass.

Thought about stopping and saying 'I didn't ask you to do anything. <blah, blah, blah>'. To which she would have said <blah, blah, blah>, but I just rode on.

Maybe I should carry a thank you card & grovellingly offer it to her next time I see her.

I thought her & the dogs were just enjoying themselves. I had no idea she'd stopped & gathered them up for me to pass more safely. They were under the food trance from when I first noticed them, about 100m away.
malnar

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 am

wexford wrote:A combination of ped and cyclist here. I was going too quick for the conditions, which were: PSP eastbound passing McIvor Station (Perth), up ahead there's a bridge and in the shadow I spot a figure lurching into my path from the opposite side. I sit up and stop pedalling, then as I approach closer the ped is now oncoming on "my" side. I begin braking, but not enough, and as I go to take evasive action to my left, he lurches again to his right.

Big collision, I've bowled him over and hit a bollard off to the side myself, busting the front wheel and landing on my back and banging my head on something pretty solid. Small crowd of people checking us both, he's not feeling any pain and more concerned with the plastic Coffee Chill bottle from which he was sniffing petrol. I take myself off to the hospital and set about replacing my front wheel and helmet.

$600 in replacement kit, a week off the bike and a couple more of pain from a "pelvic girdle sprain" and I've learned to ride to the conditions!

After a big collision like that, you go slow around all pedestrians. Just don't trust them. They can be unpredictable.

Hope you recover okay.
g-boaf

Postby wellington_street » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:05 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Had one this morning on a section where I had to go on the footpath, thanks to stupid road design. Older woman walking her dog, the dog had stopped to relieve itself on the side of the path, she stopped next to it, staring off into space, blocking the whole path. Completely oblivious to the world so I just rode around on the grass (not ideal on a road bike but doable) and it was only after I had gone around her she realised anyone else existed.

It happens sometimes. Did you ring bell or otherwise to let her know you were coming?
wellington_street

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Dumb cyclist was me last Friday. Approached two lane set of lights. I assumed the left was a left only lane as all the cars in the queue looked to have left indicator on. I filtered to the front between the left and the right lane. As I was waiting for the lights to change (for a while as I arrived not long after they went red) I looked at the front car in the left lane and something told me they weren't heading left, I looked forward and there were two lanes ahead leaving the intersection, and a form one lane sign. Quickly ducked across the front of the left lane to the shoulder while the lights were still red and then after the lights went green watched both front cars go straight through. No idea if there was a 'race' to get ingot the one lane first, but glad I wasn't stuck in a land cruiser sandwich.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:Go down Merrylands Road and at Centenary Road (just beside Merrylands swimming pool complex) there is small facility for track riding. I haven't been there yet - though I did get someone encouraging me to join. Having no brakes scares the heck out of me.

Supposedly much safer - no brakes means no quick decelerations, and no sharp corners means you just have to watch your front wheel. Yet to give it a try, would rather upgrade my bike than buy another lol

Bychosis - nothing dumb about that at all. If there is a "form one lane" ahead, even better reason to filter so you don't have to deal with lane changing antics :idea:
Xplora

Postby bychosis » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:29 am

The dumb part was assuming all cars were turning left. I'm not brave (stupid) enough to sit between two cars headed straight ahead with me between them.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:05 am

brentono wrote:Could almost be the perfect definition for "IGNORANCE" Jules, and quite common with many people.
:mrgreen:

Don't start me on supermarkets :evil:
Problem is some people drive their cars and shopping carts in the same way - in total disregard for anyone else on the planet.
Ross

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion