The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am

Riding up one of the paths in the CBD this morning, at pretty slow speed, see a guy walk out of one of the shops, look at me, then walk to his car which was parked next to the kerb. He leaned in and said something to his wife and then turned around straight away and walked back across the path without looking :shock: Lucky for him I'm quite a safe rider so I saw it coming and he was quite apologetic when he realised his mistake.
wellington_street

by BNA » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:29 pm

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Xplora wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Go down Merrylands Road and at Centenary Road (just beside Merrylands swimming pool complex) there is small facility for track riding. I haven't been there yet - though I did get someone encouraging me to join. Having no brakes scares the heck out of me.

Supposedly much safer - no brakes means no quick decelerations, and no sharp corners means you just have to watch your front wheel. Yet to give it a try, would rather upgrade my bike than buy another lol

Bychosis - nothing dumb about that at all. If there is a "form one lane" ahead, even better reason to filter so you don't have to deal with lane changing antics :idea:

Maybe one day. ;) I think I know one or two people who might be willing to teach me a thing or two. I'm happy with my riding at the moment - I'm getting quicker and more consistent.

Ross wrote:Don't start me on supermarkets :evil:
Problem is some people drive their cars and shopping carts in the same way - in total disregard for anyone else on the planet.

Car parks must be one of the most hazardous places to ride through. From shopping carts, cars going in all directions. :shock:
g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Can I nominate the dog walkers in Western Sydney Regional Park (Lizard Log area) letting their hounds off the leash. I saw them and slowed down already, but then one of the dogs decides to run right in front of me (cue sudden extra braking and get off the bike).

Dog sniffs at me and continues on. I growl at the pedestrians, asking if their dogs should be on leashes. Response: none - except sheepish guilty grin.

The rules:

Pets

In the interest of visitor health and safety and in accordance with the Companion Animals Act 1998 dogs are not allowed within 10 metres of any play equipment within playgrounds. Dogs must be kept on leads at all times for the protection of our native wildlife as well as their own. The only exception is at the `Warrigal Run' leash free area at Bungarribee. Restricted breeds and/or dogs declared as dangerous are not permitted within the leash free area.
g-boaf

Postby johnny99 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:32 am

The group of cyclists who I went past this morning just North of the Canning Bridge. I was going North and they were going South. Came around a bend to find a group of about 20 racing along . One guy was on my side of the path in the middle of the bunch 3 wide with no were to go. If your on here you sir get my nomination for moron of the year and deserved every bit of abuse that came your way.
For such a busy morning on the paths especially from Fremantle to Windan Bridge via the South Perth bike path this was the only example of moronic riding that I encountered amongst lots of bunchs of cyclists but one that could have ended badly for all of us.
johnny99

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:52 am

WARNING: the NY resolutioners are out on the shared paths.

had a lady who was obviously out of shape shuffling along the MYT in front of me, as i made my way into work this morning. without warning or checking and upon reaching her turnaround point, she does a u-turn just as i'm about to start lining up an overtake. i do use my bell but she had the SOP headphones in.

i gave her some friendly (no, really it was friendly) advice as she ran past me, but she was either off on her own orbit or decided to ignore me. that ain't gonna make it hurt less if we collide love..
jules21

Postby MisuVir » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 am

jules21 wrote:had a lady who was obviously out of shape shuffling along the MYT in front of me, as i made my way into work this morning. without warning or checking and upon reaching her turnaround point, she does a u-turn just as i'm about to start lining up an overtake. i do use my bell but she had the SOP headphones in.

I've never understood this. I run with earphones on, yet I stay to the left of the shared path and always check behind me before I change direction or turn right.

Are these the same people that step out onto the street without looking for cars?
MisuVir

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 am

MisuVir wrote:I've never understood this. I run with earphones on, yet I stay to the left of the shared path and always check behind me before I change direction or turn right.

Are these the same people that step out onto the street without looking for cars?

it seems likely. regular joggers are usually careful, i think the problems are mostly with people who venture onto shared paths infrequently. they don't get that they are used by cyclists and that while most of us do make a genuine effort to be safe, there's only so much i can do - when you just do a U-turn out of nowhere, my options are limited.
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:05 pm

jules21 wrote:WARNING: the NY resolutioners are out on the shared paths.

had a lady who was obviously out of shape shuffling along the MYT in front of me, as i made my way into work this morning. without warning or checking and upon reaching her turnaround point, she does a u-turn just as i'm about to start lining up an overtake. i do use my bell but she had the SOP headphones in.

i gave her some friendly (no, really it was friendly) advice as she ran past me, but she was either off on her own orbit or decided to ignore me. that ain't gonna make it hurt less if we collide love..

I doubt you'll get a whole lot of love for those sentiments. I've expressed those thoughts before only to be told that pedestrians are vulnerable, and you know the rest... :roll:

Some of them are just silly - they have not a care in the world for what is happening around them.

It would be rather good to legislate to ban pedestrians from using headphones when walking or running, just as car drivers aren't allowed to use phones while driving.
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:10 pm

g-boaf wrote:It would be rather good to legislate to ban pedestrians from using headphones when walking or running, just as car drivers aren't allowed to use phones while driving.

I reckon they should have rego. oh. wait.
jasonc

Postby zero » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:

I doubt you'll get a whole lot of love for those sentiments. I've expressed those thoughts before only to be told that pedestrians are vulnerable, and you know the rest... :roll:

Some of them are just silly - they have not a care in the world for what is happening around them.

It would be rather good to legislate to ban pedestrians from using headphones when walking or running, just as car drivers aren't allowed to use phones while driving.

I always find it very amusing when people can't empathise with being a pedestrian, even though we are all pedestrians. Just like drivers that run down pedestrians enroute to their car doors. I also do not think sharepaths are a good idea, nor do I think beyond "being on the footpath" should I have to continually practice vigilance as a pedestrian. More simply I just don't have the mental space for doing that every time I merely go for a walk, and it probably largely defeats the purpose of going for a walk.
zero

Postby high_tea » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:32 pm

g-boaf wrote:

FWIW Bizet would seem to have some sympathy for this viewpoint, if you squint at the lyrics in "Carmen" the right way. I've already shown how "Habanera" is about pedestrian/cyclist interaction (for small values of " peleshown"); coming soon is a similar treatment of "March of the Toreadors". Can't you just imagine it sung by a bunch of Lycra-clad roadies?
high_tea

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:35 pm

zero wrote:I always find it very amusing when people can't empathise with being a pedestrian, even though we are all pedestrians. Just like drivers that run down pedestrians enroute to their car doors. I also do not think sharepaths are a good idea, nor do I think beyond "being on the footpath" should I have to continually practice vigilance as a pedestrian. More simply I just don't have the mental space for doing that every time I merely go for a walk, and it probably largely defeats the purpose of going for a walk.

so why should i have to be so vigilant, riding on the road? it's one for us, another for them. i don't buy the "pedestrians are a protected species" argument. the value of human life doesn't change, depending on their mode of transport or the type of path/road they choose to use. i always find it ironic (or hypocritical) when pedestrians complain about close passes from cyclists - they're like "that's why cyclists don't deserve respect on the roads!" but in reality we don't get it anyway, they just think they're special.

having said that, i do support the strict liability collision rule for cyclists on shared paths. it should just be extended to motorists on the roads.
jules21

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Lovely bunch of lads on my way home today... Heading home, scooting along Commonwealth Ave toward Capital Hill, I get a group of 8-9 converge on me, drop me into the middle of the pack for a couple of hundred metres and then cut me off when they headed down State Circle. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but their behaviour seemed both intimidating and rude...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 pm

jules21 wrote:
zero wrote:I always find it very amusing when people can't empathise with being a pedestrian, even though we are all pedestrians. Just like drivers that run down pedestrians enroute to their car doors. I also do not think sharepaths are a good idea, nor do I think beyond "being on the footpath" should I have to continually practice vigilance as a pedestrian. More simply I just don't have the mental space for doing that every time I merely go for a walk, and it probably largely defeats the purpose of going for a walk.

so why should i have to be so vigilant, riding on the road? it's one for us, another for them. i don't buy the "pedestrians are a protected species" argument. the value of human life doesn't change, depending on their mode of transport or the type of path/road they choose to use. i always find it ironic (or hypocritical) when pedestrians complain about close passes from cyclists - they're like "that's why cyclists don't deserve respect on the roads!" but in reality we don't get it anyway, they just think they're special.

having said that, i do support the strict liability collision rule for cyclists on shared paths. it should just be extended to motorists on the roads.

In response to Zero, I'm more of a pedestrian than I am a bicycle rider. I suppose I don't have a lot of mental space either, but it seems to come naturally to be aware of what is around me. It doesn't change the fact that I'm walking, and my legs certainly don't care about it. It doesn't affect my ability to enjoy walking.

Do you walk in another zone along a footpath where there are car driveways and cars might suddenly turn into these driveways or come out of them?

As a bicycle rider, being excessively careful around pedestrians wins you no respect at all. Pedestrians see it as patronising, they see it as a bicycle rider thinking that pedestrians are unpredictable fools who cannot be trusted to move about on their own two feet. They get cranky about it.

I say to those pedestrians, well, you wanted us to give way to you, you didn't want us to pass by you at any speed higher than walking pace, you have your Mr Scruby whinging and complaining about bicycles. Now we give you what you want, and you are still displeased?
g-boaf

Postby burger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:40 am

g-boaf wrote:be aware of what is around me.

I reinforce this into my boys all the time. Why?

Two reasons . . . their safety and plain old fashioned courtesy.
The world is round, so what seems like the end may actually be the beginning.
burger

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:29 am

g-boaf wrote:As a bicycle rider, being excessively careful around pedestrians wins you no respect at all. Pedestrians see it as patronising, they see it as a bicycle rider thinking that pedestrians are unpredictable fools who cannot be trusted to move about on their own two feet. They get cranky about it.

it depends on the situation. i'm more careful when coming up behind pedestrians and will tend to slow down. this morning i rang my bell as i approached two joggers running shoulder-to-shoulder across the MYT. the jogger on the RHS fell in behind, clearing the way for me to overtake. then as i reached them, she inexplicably moved back onto the RHS, without looking. her husband/running partner saw this and grabbed her and she quickly realised her 'error' and apologised. as i'd slowed down, i simply waited calmly for her to sort herself out before safely proceeding - no fuss. i was quite proud of myself :) obviously had i been pushing along, there may have been a collision.

OTOH, i had some joggers coming towards me this morning too, spread across the whole path. the runner on 'my' side seemed not to notice me until the last minute, when she moved out of the way with a bit of a smirk on her face. sometimes they genuinely aren't looking, but other times they think it's smart to block your way. i won't run into them but i don't give them the impression i'm going to pull over either.
jules21

Postby outnabike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 am

jules21 wrote:
OTOH,.

OTOH?
Do you blokes just keep making these up as you go along? I have 3 pages of them from bike forums alone and they just seem to keep being expanded on... :)
outnabike

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 pm

on the other hand? :)
jules21

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm

burger wrote:
g-boaf wrote:be aware of what is around me.

I reinforce this into my boys all the time. Why?

Two reasons . . . their safety and plain old fashioned courtesy.

Good man, grettings to a fellow "modern weirdo" :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:36 am

stole this from elsewhere

jasonc

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:19 am

Good grief, that guy has a death wish, surely! :shock: Everything is really moving fast through there.
g-boaf

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:40 am

rode to work with the wife this morning, so i took it a bit easier than normal. OK, i now understand why people hate lycra loons.

some of the overtakes by faster riders were just appalling. one guy came past us, forcing a lady heading towards us off the shared path. it wouldn't have killed him to wait 5 seconds. if that had been me (walking), i'd have stood my ground.
jules21

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 am

outnabike wrote:
jules21 wrote:
OTOH,.

OTOH?
Do you blokes just keep making these up as you go along? I have 3 pages of them from bike forums alone and they just seem to keep being expanded on... :)

Maybe you've been so used to TLAs that you have not gained a full vocab of FLABs :wink: :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby kb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 pm

There's a CLI program WT? that helps with TLAs (& FLABs). Works for me but YMMV. HTH, HAND.
kb

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:50 pm

il padrone wrote:Maybe you've been so used to TLAs that you have not gained a full vocab of FLABs :wink: :P

So used to "throttle lever angles"? :?: :? Hehe - that's old Concorde vocabulary for certain power settings used on descent.

I'll nominate the side-by-side walkers who refused to budge this morning. Quite deliberate. Not that it mattered that much, I go pretty slowly in that area anyway. Just seemed a bit rude and not in the spirit of sharing.
g-boaf

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion