The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tekapo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Will I need a flame suit for this one?

At least he was looking at the road infront of him :wink:. Once, I saw a guy txting on the bike whilst on the road.
tekapo

by BNA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:34 pm

BNA

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:34 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
WarbyD wrote:wow.. she's lucky you weren't in a car!! Didn't look like she even broke stride as she came to the road..

People do tend to see what they are expecting - like bulkier vehicles a fair way up the road and nearer.

Like it or not, peds (and the rest of us too) are just not that great at seeing all sized objects at all distances and at all speeds. It's just the way it is.

However we will get better as we are trained to expect bikes and smaller objects.

It's not a perfect world, is it?

Indeed it is not mate. That bit of footage (of the many I've posted in the past two days) is one of the few where you don't see my 1400lumen headlight which I use flashing during daylight. It only has the full power setting for flashing as well. Most of my footage shows every street sign flashing with it's reflection. Definitely just didn't look. She was apologetic at least, and my comments were definitely a result of surprise that any coherently thought out words.
2011 Avanti Quantum, 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 pm

OHHHH, you meant moby as in mobile phone, I had a completely different idea when I read "moby cyclist" and was wondering what on earth I was looking for! :)
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby duncanm » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:49 pm

the clown who rolled through the red at the exit to Macquarie Center on Waterloo Rd this evening.

Would have caught him at the Herring Rd right turn red, but he morphed into a pedestrian and blew that light, too.
duncanm

Postby MisuVir » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote:OHHHH, you meant moby as in mobile phone, I had a completely different idea when I read "moby cyclist" and was wondering what on earth I was looking for! :)

Yeah... I was looking for either some kind of whale or a bald guy with glasses...
MisuVir

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:20 pm

ldrcycles wrote:OHHHH, you meant moby as in mobile phone, I had a completely different idea when I read "moby cyclist" and was wondering what on earth I was looking for! :)

Lukeyboy

Postby KenGS » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:29 am

MisuVir wrote:

Yeah... I was looking for either some kind of whale or a bald guy with glasses...

Is this the source of the legend of the moby cyclist
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 am

Had a walker decide to cross in front of me this morning. I let out some sort of squeak in preparation for the crash and fortunately she baulked at the last second and there was no collision.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby nezumi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:59 am

*raises hand*

Last night on the commute home I tried to pass a slower rider up a hill when I shouldn't have on the Main Yarra Trail between Fed Square and Gardiners. I thought the path ahead was clear, but there was another rider coming towards me who gave me a well deserved shake of the head.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi

Postby duncan16v » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:37 am

I wonder if that was me? I was heading into town at about 5:30 last night and had a few riders try and kill me. :-)

I was getting a bit shouty by the time I got to Fed Square.
duncan16v

Postby nezumi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 am

duncan16v wrote:I wonder if that was me? I was heading into town at about 5:30 last night and had a few riders try and kill me. :-)

I was getting a bit shouty by the time I got to Fed Square.

The guy was on a brownish bike (I think) and had designer stubble and curly hair.

I was on a green and black bike in pink saeco kit.
nezumi

Postby duncan16v » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:57 am

Definitely not me - I'd describe myself as a more mature gent. My hipster years are waaay past.
duncan16v

Postby yugyug » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Boognoss wrote:I've had three bad morning commutes in a row now..... :evil:

OY!! ...sorrry.. Jesus!

Thats exactly what comes out of my mouth in situations like that. And I'm a stone cold atheist, but one little surprise and out comes the name of our saviour.... :roll:
yugyug

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Minor one, but I was waiting at a set of lights to ride across the crossing, sitting there by myself. Dumb ped walks up to wait for the signals as well and thinks the best place to stand is about 30cm in front of my front wheel. I let out a bemused "really?" but dumb ped was very much deafened by her ipod. You'd think it would be common sense to let the faster vehicle go first and get out of the way, or at the very least not stand so close to a bike :nuts:
wellington_street

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:58 pm

Sorry if this is too mundane. :)

Nothing special as we see this every single day, but just showing the careless worker with ear muffs strolls across the path, not a look for safety at all.

I am almost stopping and just didn’t want to frighten him unnecessarily. So I just stopped.

I wanted to see if he actually would have a look for self protection.

No harm done, and all I am showing is folks can be miles away mentally without a thought to safety.
outnabike

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Nominate myself this morning-
3km into the ride to work I scratched my thigh (itchy) and though where is my door pass- carp in my other pants in the wash- turn around get the pass and restart the ride.

Supposed to be a gentle recovery ride with my beloved- ended in an extra 6 km and being a bit late :roll:
CXCommuter

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:15 pm

outnabike wrote:Sorry if this is too mundane. :)

Nothing special as we see this every single day, but just showing the careless worker with ear muffs strolls across the path, not a look for safety at all.

he's wearning his PPE, therefore he is safe ;) :roll:
wellington_street

Postby tekapo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:21 pm

outnabike wrote:Sorry if this is too mundane. :)

Some of those shared path doesn't look like a "bike path", and I think its a bit dangerous. If you have the lines marked, people will more likely notice its a bike path thus keeping left and pay more attention. Otherwise they will just think its a foot path.
tekapo

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Yep, it doesn't look much that's for sure. That is the bike path from Patterson river and goes through Dandenong to right up Canterbury road with a couple of access paths thrown in. But it is mostly gravel all the way to Dandenong. No problem for my tyres but not sure how a road bike would like the treatment. :)
Any way you can;t hit them with or with out path markings.
Where there are markings they are only for interested people....
outnabike

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:01 pm

I think I might have saved a life tonight. A slim blond woman, bags in both hands, completely not paying attention to where she was, crossing Kent St and about to step up and over the stone kerbing barrier nto the path of a rapidly moving cyclist on the cycle way.

I bellowed LOOK OUT!! and she looked up and paused just enough for the cyclist to be able to jink around her. He had no chance of stopping, and hadn't clocked her moving between the cars, possibly because I was obstructing his view.

Laden the way she was, I reckon she'd have been very unlikely to have gotten her hands free to protect her head as she went down.

I spoke to her afterwards to tell her off for nearly getting herself killed, and she had to unplug herself from her iPod to hear me.

At least she was grateful for the warning. :roll:

Strewth it was close. :evil:

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
trailgumby

Postby nezumi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:44 pm

wellington_street wrote:Minor one, but I was waiting at a set of lights to ride across the crossing, sitting there by myself. Dumb ped walks up to wait for the signals as well and thinks the best place to stand is about 30cm in front of my front wheel. I let out a bemused "really?" but dumb ped was very much deafened by her ipod. You'd think it would be common sense to let the faster vehicle go first and get out of the way, or at the very least not stand so close to a bike :nuts:

Depends if it was a combined cycle/pedestrian crossing or just a pedestrian one.

I have had enough people on bikes riding too fast on the footpaths in my area that, if I see one lined up to ride through a pedestrian crossing, I will do whatever I can to impede their progress.
nezumi

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 pm

nezumi wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Minor one, but I was waiting at a set of lights to ride across the crossing, sitting there by myself. Dumb ped walks up to wait for the signals as well and thinks the best place to stand is about 30cm in front of my front wheel. I let out a bemused "really?" but dumb ped was very much deafened by her ipod. You'd think it would be common sense to let the faster vehicle go first and get out of the way, or at the very least not stand so close to a bike :nuts:

Depends if it was a combined cycle/pedestrian crossing or just a pedestrian one.

I have had enough people on bikes riding too fast on the footpaths in my area that, if I see one lined up to ride through a pedestrian crossing, I will do whatever I can to impede their progress.

How can you infer riding fast on footpaths from a comment about a pedestrian stepping in front of a cyclist at a set of lights. As far as I am concerned the order you arrive at a set of lights is how you should leave them- I am sick of people pushing to the front and cutting others off- doesn't matter how fast people are riding, running or walking- that to me is a lack of common courtesy.

As an aside I do agree that many cyclists ride dangerously around pedestrians. I tend to find these are the same ones running lights etc
CXCommuter

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:18 pm

nezumi wrote:Depends if it was a combined cycle/pedestrian crossing or just a pedestrian one.

It was just a pedestrian crossing but on a shared path. I'm well aware I'm breaking the law by riding across, however I consider it my civic duty to disregard such stupid laws (as does every other cyclist it seems). Happy to cop a whack for riding across.
wellington_street

Postby kenwstr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:23 pm

While visiting my Mum in Canberra last Christmas, I did a couple of rides on shared paths. I have to say you have your peds well trained down that way. The shared nicely and we had no problems at all. Very bike aware bunch. Around here, peds don't even know its a shared path and are totally oblivious to the real world. I don't get it, it's nice day the sun is shining, the river view is nice and the birds twittering about. What's wrong with that?

Sigh......
Ken
kenwstr

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Not acusing any one here.
We see a fair bit of conjecture regarding bells and their use. I actually have an old time horn that came with my bike
It is a very distinctive sound and one toot usually gets the attention of the path users.
This person was taking the whole path and I was only going slowly but without a toot he had no Idea I was coming along.
It just shows how folks can be completely absorbed in their own thoughts and a bell can be a good help.
Here I see the ped ahead.
I give a small toot on the horn an even startle him.
He has time to get to his side.

I said "thanks mate" as I passed and received a friendly "no problem". The thing is I did slow to an easy pace to allow the interaction to take place.
outnabike

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion