The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Me this morning - heading down from the Loftus overpass, at the t-junction onto the dreaded City West path, I was forced into a choice between signal and brake, chose brake. Right at that moment someone felt the need to overtake me on the right and then turn left, just as I push off again to turn right. No contact but a bit of an oh-showtime moment ... :oops: :x

Doesn't sound like you were the dumb one in this instance...

Seconded there. Love this intersection I turn left towards Subiaco (against the traffic) and regularly get cyclists two/three abreast coming at me through the underpass. (BTW it wasn't me this morning I rode a different way in :roll:
CXCommuter

by BNA » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:02 pm

BNA

Postby Andrew09 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Whilst I was cycling the M7 cycleway here in western Sydney this morning , there was a guy riding a mountain bike on the M7 motorway itself , southbound , and he had NO helmet on. At least he was wearing a hi viz shirt. I hope he didn't make it home. Is that nasty to say that?
Andrew09

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Yeah that's pretty harsh. As long as he was riding safely, what's the problem?
wellington_street

Postby zero » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Andrew09 wrote:Whilst I was cycling the M7 cycleway here in western Sydney this morning , there was a guy riding a mountain bike on the M7 motorway itself , southbound , and he had NO helmet on. At least he was wearing a hi viz shirt. I hope he didn't make it home. Is that nasty to say that?

its a stupid thing to say, and there is little material difference in the M7s breakdown lanes and other motorways and highways breakdown lanes, and those are often marked with cycles and designated as cycleways, and during periods of maintenance of the road the M7 cycleway has been closed making the main carriageways the only route.

Since the cycleway is on one side, he may have also needed to get to an objective that the cycleway is not connected to properly.
zero

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:16 pm

zero wrote:
Andrew09 wrote:Whilst I was cycling the M7 cycleway here in western Sydney this morning , there was a guy riding a mountain bike on the M7 motorway itself , southbound , and he had NO helmet on. At least he was wearing a hi viz shirt. I hope he didn't make it home. Is that nasty to say that?

its a stupid thing to say, and there is little material difference in the M7s breakdown lanes and other motorways and highways breakdown lanes, and those are often marked with cycles and designated as cycleways, and during periods of maintenance of the road the M7 cycleway has been closed making the main carriageways the only route.

Since the cycleway is on one side, he may have also needed to get to an objective that the cycleway is not connected to properly.

I personally think he still is a Ding Dong for having no helmet on in the first place. I hope he made it home with a fine for no helmet :twisted:
Dragster1

Postby antigee » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 pm

by Summernight » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 am

To the lady riding on the footpath this morning (illegal in Victoria) on Albert Street, East Melbourne who then decided to cross on a red light and move into the dedicated bike lane that starts on the other side of the street

I met her husband/lover/boyfriend today

Undertook me stopped at Hoddle lights, rolled the red and then mashed his gears - forgiven don't care
Weaved thru the moving x traffic on the red at Albert / Powlett forgiven its your life
Ran the Ped light at Albert / Eades guess if it was your mum waiting to cross would have done same so OK
Took a phone call as passed the Cathedral and slowed to walking, from 10metres behind I rang my bell with bizarre belief I could pass - so he stopped dead in the middle of the narrow cycle path (for those not familiar its pavement/sidewalk to the left / parked cars to the right) I've ridden a lot with 6-8yr olds so I dealt with it :roll:
antigee

Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby nezumi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:48 am

Silly cyclist this morning.

I was waiting to cross Collins St at Elizabeth St (Melbourne) and a cyclist came through near the end of the light cycle, assumed that no cars would follow her, slowed abruptly and then wiggled a bit in the intersection and rode across the pedestrian crossing to cross the road, then dismounted on the opposite side and walked the bike.

Evidently she didn't see/care about the car behind her that nearly proceeded through her after she stopped in an unsafe place on the road without signalling at all.

A better move would have been to have done a proper hook turn and dismount on the far side of the road. Oh well.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:28 am

Rude/dumb cyclist this morning on my commute.

There is a weird intersection where the only way to legally get across it is to use the footpath and wait for the lights. I cross on the green man, as does a rider behind me. On the other side there is about 30 meters of footpath you need to ride on before getting back onto the road (I won't go into why, but trust me).

Anyway, there's a pregnant lady pushing a pram on the footpath in front of me, not moving super fast as you'd expect, and there's about 10 meters to go before we can hop of the path, out onto the road. This path is narrow, and either side of the path is a narrow, uneven grass surface on a considerable slope. I just roll along slowly about 5 meters back from her, waiting for the 10 seconds its going to take before I can safely get clear of her.

Cyclist behind me starts dinging his bell at her, ie wanting the pregnant lady pushing the pram to get off the footpath onto a narrow, sloped uneven grass surface...
InTheWoods

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:21 am

had two noteworthy pedestrian encounters in the past 24 hours.

1. couple walking their dogs, entering shared path near dight's falls. i ding my bell and slow down a bit, although really out of courtesy as they were still 10-15m away. except that i notice their dogs are - of course - unleashed. despite slowing, the bloke yells out 'slow down!' despite me having done that and i suspect as a pre-emptive strike after i turned to look at them in frustration. so i stop for a chat. bloke says "here comes a punch on!" they were good-natured though, even though we were 'arguing' - although i only politely pointed out the requirement to leash their dogs. in the end the lady said "this is my land! yorta yorta (i think)!" so i laughed and said "well i guess you can do whatever you like then" and rode off without incident. for the record, i sympathise with her (let's not get into that) but it wasn't going to save her dog, or me.

2. two ladies on an early morning walk this morning, spread across the shared path. experience has taught me to sniff out warning signs, and this is one. i dinged my bell well in advance, and the lady on the right edged to her left, leaving enough space for me to squeeze through - but clearly making the minimum effort. as i approached at a moderate speed - 20 km/h - she outstretched her arm across my path as if to put a pullover she was holding on. i recognise this manouvre, so slid past her, only for her to let out a loud yelp in mock surprise. sorry, not buying it...
jules21

Postby Scott_C » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:39 am

It must be spawning season as I have seen two on-road salmon in the last 24 hours, not just the corner-cutting variety, deliberate and sustained riding along the right hand edge of the road.

Yesterday evening it was a middle-aged lady on a mountain bike here riding along the right edge of the road as I rode along the left hand side of the road heading in the same direction. As I am about to make a right hand turn onto a shared path I am riding in the primary position.

Despite this usually being a very quiet section of road Murphy decided to raise his head and a car came out of the intersection ahead turning right just as I pulled level with the salmon. Resulting in me quickly ducking back in towards the curb so the car had room to avoid a head-on with the salmon without cleaning me up in the process.

Then this morning I had a female POBSO with no helmet riding on the right edge of the traffic bridge here despite there being a perfectly servicable shared path on the left hand side of the traffic bridge where I was riding.

Did someone change the road rules and forget to tell me?
Scott_C

Postby rangersac » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 pm

I met a spawning runner yesterday on my commute home. Now I know that as a pedestrian you walk on the side of the road in the direction of the oncoming traffic so that's cool, but what made this runner special was the fact that they were at least half a metre onto the tarmac, on a double lined section of road that's windy, narrow and with limited clear sightlines. The fact there was a perfectly serviceable metre wide gravel shoulder next to the tarmac made it all the more bemusing.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby Jerry68 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:52 pm

This post seems as good a place as any to vent my spleen in regards to the pros and cons of bell ringing so here goes....

I know this topic has probably already been done to death but anyway.... what are people's take on this?

I have a bell and I always liked to use it to warn pedestrians that I would be shooting past. I've had bikes race past me as a pedestrian and it can startle you.

However, lately I feel it is more trouble that it's worth. I will get one of 4 responses, (listed below starting from the most common):

1. Complete ignorance: The pedestrian will have headphones or an iPod and be completely oblivious.

2. Anger: The pedestrian will panic, step right off the path into the dirt, turn and glare at me with total contempt. If there are more than one they will generally collide with each other at some point. This makes me feel bad as that was not my intention and I really haven't got the time to stop and explain to an angry pedestrian that a cyclist ringing a bell is not tantamount to shouting: "Get the hell out of my way peasant"!

3. Obstruction: The pedestrian will again panic... but instead of moving to the sanctuary of the far left they will pause and turn around directly into my path to see what all the fuss is about. Because of this I have learned to ring my bell from some distance away.

4. Glorious acknowledgement: They nod or raise a hand or finger, (not that finger), to acknowledge my bell, maintain a steady course and pace and everyone is happy.

There are other responses but they occur so rarely they do not rate a mention in the 'official' list but include those, (yes I've had this twice), who look directly skywards when I have sounded my bell. I'm not sure if the unexpected 'ding' of a bell has prompted them to look toward the heavens for a pending epiphany but it gives me opportunity to pass safely whilst they are distracted.

In conclusion I feel it is just safer to give the bell ringing a miss...

What say you all?

Jerry68.
Jerry68

Postby WarbyD » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:05 pm

I ring the bell or call (although a yell isn't required.. just the same sort of voice projection I would use during a presentation) whenever I am passing multiple pedestrians or if I do not have space to pass with at least a metre or so between myself and the ped..

The majority of the time I get no response at all, but I think this is more to do with them not feeling any response is required than them not actually hearing it (I ride with headphones - I hear bells just fine.. I'm pretty sure the majority of pedestrians are using relatively cheap headphones without significant noise cancelling qualities so would also be able to hear just fine). Occasionally (maybe 30-40%?) I get a wave or "thank you" (especially when I offer a polite "passing on your right" rather than "ding ding").

The worst for the "WT? are they going to do?" are definitely (IME) the 2 (or more) abreast walkers/joggers.. I would say this is because they're mid conversation and I've surprised them, so they've reacted without thinking.. For this reason if I see walkers/joggers that look like they're possibly mid-conversation I'll give the bell a bit of a ding when I'm still a reasonable distance away so I can see how they react.. This is usually also followed as I get closer with a "passing on your right" just to remind them and make it clear exactly what I will be doing.

What bugs me as a cyclist much more than bell-ringing (or not) bothered me as a pedestrian.. is cyclists passing without any call.. It takes no effort, and makes things safer for everyone.
WarbyD

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tekapo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Ringing the bell is not just for the ped that you are passing, it's also for the cyclist behind you as well as any oncoming cyclists whose lane you will be going into. Granted that you shouldn't over take if there is oncoming traffic.
tekapo

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Riding along on regular Friday bunch with about 25 or so riders doing high 30s km/h going along a flat dual carrigeway with plenty of vision and no other traffic except for us when this guy on a MTB (looked like a tradie dressed in hi-vis) was coming toward us in the outside of our lane (against the traffic flow). I was second wheel and the front guys in the bunch could see him several hundred metres away and I'm sure he saw us and was just playing chicken. We kept on hammering (nowhere for us to go unless we singled up) and he kept coming and we passed each other with only a few cm to spare. If one of the riders near the back of the bunch had wobbled out and clipped handlebars with him then there would of been carnage.
Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Regarding Jerry68's question/observations about bell ringing, I have 99% positive reaction when ringing my bell. I slow right down too, not quite to walking pace, but maybe 10-15km/h and move as far right (if ped is on left) and give a thank-you wave as I go past. If you blast past at 40km/h even though you have rung the bell you are bound to get a negative reaction. I always try to ring in plenty of time as a lot of peds want to turn around and see what is coming. Just one ding is usually enough. Multiple dings signifys (IMO) "get of the f*%$ path you f*%$ I'm coming f*%$ through".

Always have to be wary of small children both on and off their bikes. I find it best not to make eye contact with them as they tend to gravitate (wobble) toward you then. I look at them out of the corner of my eye with my hands covering the brakes ready for emergency stop or swerve and this seems to work most times.

Yelling I find confuses things as peds don't always hear or understand what is being yelled and sometimes when they do hear they misunderstand what action they need to perform eg "bike right" often ends up with the ped thinking they must move right, into the path of cyclist!
Ross

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:44 pm

I have similar reactions at times but I just always give a small toot on the bugle that came with the bike. You are wrong what ever you do, but that is the request of the guys that made the paths in my area.
If you did hit some one for whatever reason at least you did what the law required regardless of opinion.
If the peds look around sooner or later they will see these signs and maybe no overreact. :) I find a small toot does the job and if no reaction I do a bit louder signal. Maybe the noise of the horn is not a offensive but mostly I get a good reaction.

outnabike

Postby MisuVir » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Ross wrote:Multiple dings signifys (IMO) "get of the f*%$ path you f*%$ I'm coming f*%$ through".

I've seen one guy on my commute that starts dinging about 100m back. He dings, dings, dings, DINGS constantly until he's past the pedestrian. Ringing your bell 30 times is a little excessive. Definitely a nominee for this thread.
MisuVir

Postby tekapo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:45 pm

MisuVir wrote:
Ross wrote:Multiple dings signifys (IMO) "get of the f*%$ path you f*%$ I'm coming f*%$ through".

I've seen one guy on my commute that starts dinging about 100m back. He dings, dings, dings, DINGS constantly until he's past the pedestrian. Ringing your bell 30 times is a little excessive. Definitely a nominee for this thread.

Multiple dings just means you think the ped or cyclist is not paying attention.

Along the Yarra trail when there are rowers on the rivers, there are usually coaches riding and shouting out instructions. As you can imagine they are paying more attention to the boats than themselves, or where they are riding. There was a group of them last week, I dinged twice and begun to over take, then one of them swerved out to the right and closer to the river and started shout out instruction, I must have dinged like ten times to get her attention. Or when there are peds that are having a good ol chat. A single ding is not going to get their attention. I was even told off for not dinging by a woman who was having a good chat with her friend, even though her friend heard my three dings and shifted to the left.
tekapo

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:40 pm

WarbyD wrote:What bugs me as a cyclist much more than bell-ringing (or not) bothered me as a pedestrian.. is cyclists passing without any call.. It takes no effort, and makes things safer for everyone.

This.

A bloke actually dinged his bell to overtake me on the Fremantle PSP yesterday - he looked absolutely stunned when I said "thanks mate" as he rode past.

As my preference on the bell - I play it by ear depending on the situation. If I can see they are aware of me then no need to use it, or if I'm going pretty slow I won't necessarily use it either. Usually it's followed up with a "thank you" if peds go out of their way to move out of the way; not that it's what I want but I want to keep the goodwill...
wellington_street

Postby chuckchunder » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Ross wrote:Riding along on regular Friday bunch with about 25 or so riders doing high 30s km/h going along a flat dual carrigeway with plenty of vision and no other traffic except for us when this guy on a MTB (looked like a tradie dressed in hi-vis) was coming toward us in the outside of our lane (against the traffic flow). I was second wheel and the front guys in the bunch could see him several hundred metres away and I'm sure he saw us and was just playing chicken. We kept on hammering (nowhere for us to go unless we singled up) and he kept coming and we passed each other with only a few cm to spare. If one of the riders near the back of the bunch had wobbled out and clipped handlebars with him then there would of been carnage.

Your lead riders see a dangerous situation developing from several hundred metres away. The solution is to keep on hammering inspite of the possibility of carnage for the riders at the back of the bunch. hhmmmmmm.........
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you
chuckchunder

Postby herzog » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:12 am

chuckchunder wrote:
Your lead riders see a dangerous situation developing from several hundred metres away. The solution is to keep on hammering inspite of the possibility of carnage for the riders at the back of the bunch. hhmmmmmm.........

I was thinking the same.

What's the saying? "Fools rush in..."
herzog

Postby WarbyD » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:53 am

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that...

nowhere for us to go unless we singled up

And you couldn't single up because......?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby DarrylH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Whether I am walking or riding I like a warning that a bike is about to overtake. We want cars to overtake at least a metre clear yet some cyclists are willing to overtake other cyclists with barely a cm clear without a warning.
DarrylH

Postby tez001 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Do most people yell passing or coming through etc as I rarely see a bell fitted to a road bike.
tez001

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion