The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

:D :D X2
CXCommuter

by BNA » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:47 pm

BNA

Postby Tomca74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:47 pm

and it was the second time I have used strava and was concerned I would be right at the bottom of the list for that segment, instead of top 4/5ths :oops:
Tomca74

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

:lol: Performance enhancing bogans? Whoda'thunk!
eldavo

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Tomca74 wrote:I rode home from the city today around 11, for the first time. (never go in there if I can help it)
10km/h speed limit on the Goodwill bridge and I am riding nicely, a few walkers meandering all over the place, no problem, a little ding ding, they shuffle over. Get just past the coffee stand and 2 guys walking right in the middle of everything, ding ding, look over their shoulders and the left guy moves over, the right guy moves right. I slowly edge between them and the guy on the right puts his arm out and strikes me, not hard but makes contact. WT???? Oh wait, he is wearing a flanno and beanie, my bad. He starts abusing me. Really?
Dropped the bike and grabbed him by the throat and spun him around and pointed at the councils camera on the path and explained the concept of assault, provocation and the level of force I am entitled to use in my defence because there are two of them. Fortunately his mate wanted no part of it so no one was hurt and he apologised for his actions as I released pressure and I explained that if he chose to continue when I let him go I would take him to ground and call 000. He didn't get tough again until I was 20m away.
I have to deal with these 'tards at work, I shouldn't be doing freebies on my day off.

I hate that part of town, Im sure somewhere there is says its a shared path, pedoes keep left and whats with the beanie in QLD summer ??? DERR! I think they need to go back south. :lol:
Dragster1

Postby MisuVir » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Brushed elbows with a couple of idiots who decided to pass a pedestrian on a shared path when there was oncoming traffic (me) right there.

All it takes is a two second slow down and you can pass safely. Instead, these people insist of barging through when there isn't room. Are these guys moron motorists in a bicycle disguise?
MisuVir

Postby outnabike » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 am

This just shows how a moment of rage can cause fatal consequences on a foot path.
http://www.news.com.au/world/the-horrib ... 6838177181
outnabike

Postby MisuVir » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:54 am

outnabike wrote:This just shows how a moment of rage can cause fatal consequences on a foot path.

Ugh. See, this is why I try my hardest not to confront people, even when they've wronged me. What kind of person can just go and punch someone then casually walk off? Scary that this man will be out and about in our society in 4 years (or less). Aggressive people like this need to be segregated from society.
MisuVir

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 am

Wasn't sure whether this belongs here or the MM thread as the guy involved was transitioning from car passenger to pedestrian - but anyway....

Travelling East on La Trobe St up past Flagstaff gardens towards William St. For those who don't know this area, the separation for the Copenlanes end about 50 metres before the intersection and continue on the left as an ordinary green lane up to the other side of William St where the separation resumes. A passenger in a car 3 or 4 back from the intersection opens his door into the bike lane without looking, almost taking out the cyclist 10-15 metres in front of me. After an "oi" from the cyclist in front, said passenger closes his door in a hurry then reopens it right into my path (once again not looking) - this earned him an Airzound blast, upon which he promptly starts abusing me.

Here's a hint buddy - if you've already almost hit one cyclist with your door, it might be an idea to actually look for other bikes before you try the same manoeuvre. There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them. Hopefully this genius finally got the message. :roll:
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 am

outnabike wrote:This just shows how a moment of rage can cause fatal consequences on a foot path.

I don't know what possesses people to act so violently like that. :(

Can I nominate for the dumb award the husband and wife team approaching a corner two-abreast, the wife wobbling at slow speed into my lane as I'm approaching the exit of the blind corner (I'm on the far left side of my lane). Even better, neither of them were wearing helmets.

She came very close to collecting me. Only the fact I was going less than 20km/h and being already far to the left prevented an incident. The wife didn't see anything wrong with the way she was riding.

About the only other thing I could have done was to go straight ahead off into the grass/dirt and try not to hit the fence nearby.
g-boaf

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:04 am

Cowcorner wrote:Wasn't sure whether this belongs here or the MM thread as the guy involved was transitioning from car passenger to pedestrian - but anyway....

Travelling East on La Trobe St up past Flagstaff gardens towards William St. For those who don't know this area, the separation for the Copenlanes end about 50 metres before the intersection and continue on the left as an ordinary green lane up to the other side of William St where the separation resumes. A passenger in a car 3 or 4 back from the intersection opens his door into the bike lane without looking, almost taking out the cyclist 10-15 metres in front of me. After an "oi" from the cyclist in front, said passenger closes his door in a hurry then reopens it right into my path (once again not looking) - this earned him an Airzound blast, upon which he promptly starts abusing me.

Here's a hint buddy - if you've already almost hit one cyclist with your door, it might be an idea to actually look for other bikes before you try the same manoeuvre. There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them. Hopefully this genius finally got the message. :roll:

Same thing happened to me last year in Collins St just before an intersection (in the gutter bike lane) except the front passenger managed to door the cyclist in front of me, AND the rear passenger doored me 20 metres behind (after the people in the car had been told off by said cyclist, the front passenger had closed her door and moved off and then the rear passenger opened his door on me as well). Both of us cyclists were travelling at slow speed, I had my foot unclipped and I just hit my hand into the door so it wasn't too much of an issue.

I think that is an appropriate use of an AirZound.

It is almost comical if it wasn't dangerous.
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Summernight wrote:I think that is an appropriate use of an AirZound.

I think I would have used more than an AZ. twice in the space of a minute? Some people do not learn unless they are forced to remember
jasonc

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Cowcorner wrote:There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them.

Just checked the rear camera footage - he almost got number three...

Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 am

Cowcorner wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them.

Have you got his rego? He needs a talking to
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 am

Cowcorner wrote:

A threefer. Blimey. Is that a record??? :roll:
Summernight

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:37 am

I mentioned this in the M7 topic, but it's equally applicable here.

On Tuesday night on the Sydney M7 cycleway down near Prestons (not far from the sporting fields), a guy was out with his two dogs. Both of them unleashed.

He was throwing balls for them (using one of those sticks to help throw the balls further). That is just stupidity.
g-boaf

Postby Mozz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:41 am

Gobsmacked I was ... seriously... was commuting to work inbound Oxley Road, Sherwood, Brisbane around 7am slowing down for a pedestrian crossing red light with what looked like a mother and her young son (approx 6 years old) who himself was on a bike (they were both on the footpath). As I was slowing, the son, was watching to see my movements before heading off to cross the road... the mother sees this and is not happy that he hasn't just shot out to cross the road as soon as the green man appears... the mother says to him in reasonably forceful manner ... "You have the right of way" and she said this around 4 or 5 times as they cross the road and continued to berate him as they continued back along Oxley Road.... hopefully the son continues with his cautious and proper behaviour and doesn't pick up his mothers poor and potentially life endangering habits....
Mozz

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:44 am

At that point, you should have stepped in and praised the kid for being cautious and careful.
g-boaf

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:39 am

Got wheelsucked this morning- overtook a roadie near work after hanging back for a couple of hundred metres to wait for oncoming traffic to clear, he then apparently wheelsucked me at ~40km/h. I slowed down for an upcoming turn and all I heard was a "slight exclamation" and he hit me down the left side, thankfully all stayed up right. I asked what was he doing and he got angry so I got angrier- way to angry (just shouting and slightly blue language) but hopefully he learnt the lesson.

I am sick of wheelsuckers, especially the unannounced- guy ahead of me earlier had one for about 8km - as soon as he was exhausted the wheelsucker casually rode past into the sunset without a word and never offered to share the load
CXCommuter

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:53 am

CXCommuter wrote:Got wheelsucked this morning- overtook a roadie near work after hanging back for a couple of hundred metres to wait for oncoming traffic to clear, he then apparently wheelsucked me at ~40km/h. I slowed down for an upcoming turn and all I heard was a "slight exclamation" and he hit me down the left side, thankfully all stayed up right. I asked what was he doing and he got angry so I got angrier- way to angry (just shouting and slightly blue language) but hopefully he learnt the lesson.

I am sick of wheelsuckers, especially the unannounced- guy ahead of me earlier had one for about 8km - as soon as he was exhausted the wheelsucker casually rode past into the sunset without a word and never offered to share the load

Strangers can wheel suck me if they like but they won't get signals or call outs. Their risk. If they take me out there'd be thoughts of legal action.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Cell SS
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby tekapo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 am

Mozz wrote:Gobsmacked I was ... seriously... was commuting to work inbound Oxley Road, Sherwood, Brisbane around 7am slowing down for a pedestrian crossing red light with what looked like a mother and her young son (approx 6 years old) who himself was on a bike (they were both on the footpath). As I was slowing, the son, was watching to see my movements before heading off to cross the road... the mother sees this and is not happy that he hasn't just shot out to cross the road as soon as the green man appears... the mother says to him in reasonably forceful manner ... "You have the right of way" and she said this around 4 or 5 times as they cross the road and continued to berate him as they continued back along Oxley Road.... hopefully the son continues with his cautious and proper behaviour and doesn't pick up his mothers poor and potentially life endangering habits....

Sigh..... What else is there to say. They have the right of way, but they should look and make eye contact as they cross. Then they will know the position and speed of the car or bike, and the driver will know they are crossing.
tekapo

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:22 am

And we all know that ALL cyclist don't stop for red lights too. That is the most important reason to look before you leap.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:44 am

bychosis wrote:And we all know that ALL cyclist don't stop for red lights too. That is the most important reason to look before you leap.

And the ones in Lycra think they are in the TDF

I am thinking of making my own bicycle numberplate up- any suggestions for what it should say- was thinking SHVDLEGS or KUDOS2ME, maybe STRVAKOM or LYKMYASS, even LYCRASS? See this could be an alternative income stream to cover all the damage cyclists are doing to the poor fragile road infrastructure with those thin cutting tyres
Others could be ROADHOG, TARGET, SPEEDHUMP etc

Sorry for the slight change in direction, I am blaming my brains random wandering on a friday. :oops:
CXCommuter

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:54 am

CXCommuter wrote:
bychosis wrote:And we all know that ALL cyclist don't stop for red lights too. That is the most important reason to look before you leap.

And the ones in Lycra think they are in the TDF

I am thinking of making my own bicycle numberplate up- any suggestions for what it should say- was thinking SHVDLEGS or KUDOS2ME, maybe STRVAKOM or LYKMYASS, even LYCRASS? See this could be an alternative income stream to cover all the damage cyclists are doing to the poor fragile road infrastructure with those thin cutting tyres
Others could be ROADHOG, TARGET, SPEEDHUMP etc

Sorry for the slight change in direction, I am blaming my brains random wandering on a friday. :oops:

what about RUNRED
jasonc

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Encountered this disorganised group ride the other day when commuting to work much later than usual. Frankly I didn't want to be anywhere near them taking up both bike lane directions on a hill like that.

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Cell SS
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mozz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:32 pm

I did think of saying something but by the time I realised what was happening they were half way across the road and I would have had to yell out and then I would have appeared to be another silly cyclist yelling things at a mother and her child... so decided best not to add to the event that was unfolding before me...
Mozz

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion