The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:
wellington_street wrote:^ :lol:

Unsurprisingly to see one of the in-story links is to a story "14 reasons we hate cyclists". Must resist click bait...

You didn't read the whole thing, did you? People hate cyclists mostly because of our freedom, and the fact we are getting super fit, while they are sitting in their cars. :D

That's not our fault the option is there for them too :wink: just lazy buggers :D
Dragster1

by BNA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 am

BNA

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 am

Puts hand up - I put this one firmly in the "famous last words" category.

Just started riding in to work this morning and the right foot felt a bit tight in the clip (yes I am one of those wusses who uses clips rather than cleats). I thought "it'll be OK" for the trip and I'll check it out once I got in to work. Needless to say - stopped at a set of lights in the CBD and unhooked the left foot as I usually do. Not really sure what happened next by I sort of over-balanced and the right-foot which previously "felt a bit tight" was well and truly stuck in the clip and not going anywhere. The net result was clip-stack in slow motion which must have looked hilarious to the riders stopped behind me, two and a half inches of skin off the right knee and a huge lump on the front of my left shin where it whacked the bar on the way down. Live and learn I suppose. :oops:
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby lobstermash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 am

Crazy dude on a (brakeless) track bike on Adelaide Ave yesterday evening. Lack of brakes didn't pose a problem until we reached an on-ramp and the cars going the same speed as us didn't want to give way. To provide a bit of extra incentive to slow down and let us go through (there's no way he could have stopped or even slowed down enough, and the drivers wouldn't have recognised his brakeless state) I went with him along the dividing line of the slip lane. Thankfully the cars slowed for us to get past... Was more than a little nervous and wondered why I chose to go with him instead of stopping!
10k goal
lobstermash

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 am

I cannot believe someone would ride a track bike on the road. :shock: Heck, I ride one myself - but it stays on the track and nowhere else. You cannot stop quickly enough, especially not from 45km/h or more. Unless of course you stop turning the pedals. :shock:
g-boaf

Postby zero » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 am

g-boaf wrote:I cannot believe someone would ride a track bike on the road. :shock: Heck, I ride one myself - but it stays on the track and nowhere else. You cannot stop quickly enough, especially not from 45km/h or more. Unless of course you stop turning the pedals. :shock:

If you put a front brake on a fixie it stops fine.

Dia Compe and others make strap on brakes (warning its the internet - be careful with your search terms!) that can even make a track fork work for the road. Even brakes with some give and imperfect leverage will transform the stopping distance of a track bike.

edit : for internet safety the current term is "clamp on" :)
zero

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:16 am

A front brake defeats the purpose of such a bike. ;) Aren't you supposed to be stopping it the proper way?

zero wrote:If you put a front brake on a fixie it stops fine.

Depending on if you use it for racing or not. ;)
g-boaf

Postby lobstermash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 am

I doubt I'll see him again to suggest getting a, er, 'clamp on'... Was much later in the evening than I usually venture out.

We were going about 45 at the time, and he had a distinct 'help, what am I going to do' face on (or at least that's what I interpreted it as...).
10k goal
lobstermash

Postby jindydiver » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Do some people believe righteousness bestows upon them a force field?
Today a lady decided to ride her bike across a pedestrian crossing in front of my car. She had been travelling along the footpath and just hooked right believing that 2 tonne of vehicle (already on the crossing but going slowly to let an old woman get fully off) will just magically stop just because she wishes it so.
I of course expressed my amazement at her stupidity and pointed out what she did was stupid and illegal to be told that "you are wrong, in the ACT I can ride onto the crossing" as if her belief (which isn't supported by the road rules) would confer some magical protection from injury.
I shudder to think what the outcome might have been if I had been going just a little faster or been paying a little less attention. Push bike rider versus 2 tonne ford would not end well for the pushbike rider :(

from
Road Transport (Safety and Traffic
Management) Australian Road Rules
Incorporation 2013 (No 1)....
248 No riding across a road on a crossing
(1) The rider of a bicycle must not ride across a road, or part of
a road, on a children’s crossing or pedestrian crossing.
jindydiver

Postby eldavo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:08 pm

lobstermash wrote:We were going about 45 at the time, and he had a distinct 'help, what am I going to do' face on (or at least that's what I interpreted it as...).

My 2yo has that face when he's pooing his pants.
eldavo

Do you know this Sydney cyclist ?

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:53 pm

Do you know this Sydney cyclist ?

If so can you give him a hug, it appears he has caught MGIF & is far too important to wait a couple of seconds for the downhill cyclist to pass before passing the pedestrian at a well known pinch point. Those unfamiliar with the area will note the pole in the middle of the path

He thinks the appropriate way to win friends and influence people is to insult them & then to top it off, felt the need to close shave me as well
find_bruce

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Lukeyboy

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

That thing should be registered :)
InTheWoods

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

I didn't know that Stephen Hawking was in Australia. Must be colour blind.
biker jk

Postby Myrtone » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 pm

If you guys are looking for trouble, you've probably found it, what has he got to do with this?!?
Myrtone

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Yeah just try me you....

Just an FYI, this isn't my video. It popped up in my youtube feed.
Lukeyboy

Re: Do you know this Sydney cyclist ?

Postby duncan16v » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:11 am

find_bruce wrote:Do you know this Sydney cyclist ?

If so can you give him a hug, it appears he has caught MGIF & is far too important to wait a couple of seconds for the downhill cyclist to pass before passing the pedestrian at a well known pinch point. Those unfamiliar with the area will note the pole in the middle of the path

He thinks the appropriate way to win friends and influence people is to insult them & then to top it off, felt the need to close shave me as well

Probably a good thing he's on a bike. With that awesome attitude, he'd be one of the featured stars on Moron Motorists #3.
duncan16v

Re: Do you know this Sydney cyclist ?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:33 am

duncan16v wrote:Probably a good thing he's on a bike. With that awesome attitude, he'd be one of the featured stars on Moron Motorists #3.

Yep, I would definitely prefer him to be on a bike than behind the wheel of two tonnes of steel. He wasn't so much dumb as angry & impatient - hence the give him a hug comment
find_bruce

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 am

jindydiver wrote:I of course expressed my amazement at her stupidity and pointed out what she did was stupid and illegal to be told that "you are wrong, in the ACT I can ride onto the crossing" as if her belief (which isn't supported by the road rules) would confer some magical protection from injury.

As a cyclist I would have been quite annoyed at somebody driving a 2 tonne cage trying to tell me that I should not be riding on a pedestrian crossing. Seriously dude, don't make yourself another rude motorist.
human909

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 am

Had 2 idiots today- first was at the overpass on the PSP at Stirling- some gumby dropped rubbish blocking 2/3 of the path where it enters the road. I pulled over and started to clear the rubbish away as it was dangerous- whilst doing this about 6 cyclists rode down- none stopping to help, Mr in a hurry yelled loudly to get off the f*&^ing bike path. Real intelligent it is a shared path and I was actually clearing the rubbish out of his and others way. If I had a chance I would have thrust some of the cactus I was clearing in his front wheel :x
Second one was a moron motorist- I am too lazy to tell over int he MM thread though- I claimed the lane and this young lady advised me in a very courteous manner to quote
"get off the f***ing road you are holding everyone up" (as I re-overtook her and all the other MGIF's as they got held up at a set of lights)
CXCommuter

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 am

human909 wrote:
jindydiver wrote:I of course expressed my amazement at her stupidity and pointed out what she did was stupid and illegal to be told that "you are wrong, in the ACT I can ride onto the crossing" as if her belief (which isn't supported by the road rules) would confer some magical protection from injury.

As a cyclist I would have been quite annoyed at somebody driving a 2 tonne cage trying to tell me that I should not be riding on a pedestrian crossing. Seriously dude, don't make yourself another rude motorist.

If you're going to ride across a pedestrian crossing, don't obstruct cars. I thought that would be pretty common sense?
wellington_street

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 am

human909 wrote:

I am sorry what!!! You break the law and get advised of it by someone anyone and you get annoyed- all I see from that comment is just another self important twit driving, riding, walking around believing their illegal behavior is justified in this case because they are on a bike not in a 2 tonne steel cage. If you break the law suffer the consequences including being run over by a 2 tonne steel cage that could not stop in time (which is probably why the law you broke is in place in the first instance)
CXCommuter

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 am

CXCommuter wrote:I am sorry what!!! You break the law and get advised of it by someone anyone and you get annoyed- all I see from that comment is just another self important twit driving, riding, walking around believing their illegal behavior is justified in this case because they are on a bike not in a 2 tonne steel cage. If you break the law suffer the consequences including being run over by a 2 tonne steel cage that could not stop in time (which is probably why the law you broke is in place in the first instance)

Wow. Your really are a charming person. Lets try to make the roads more pleasant rather than less. At the same time that rule infringer is busy justifying their minor infraction, you are busy justifying your rudeness.
human909

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 am

Your post above indicated that rudeness to another legal road user outlining a "minor' infraction is justified due to their personal mode of transport- pot calling the kettle black. I am only responding to what I see as a general rule of humanity- "everyone else is the cause of all my problems".
CXCommuter

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am

WTH!? You make no sense.
human909

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:11 pm

human909 wrote:WTH!? You make no sense.

Okay very slowly- you indicate that getting annoyed at being told off about breaking the law is justified as the other person is in a car, a. I see this every day- people called out on breaking the law and their response is the get angry and often threaten violence- that to me is rudeness.

As far as I see it this forum is NOT about some personal vendetta against cars and/or their users regardless of their environmental impact etc. As to poor behavior/attitudes, I see the exact same behavior of drivers repeated in riders (often in greater numbers percentage wise) and would suggest the vast majority of drivers do a good job of trying to ensure my safety when I am riding on the road.
CXCommuter

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion