The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby outnabike » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi CXCommuter ,Too much aggro for me.....
Just as a casual observation, I am reading more and more posts of wanting to inflict violence on the part of cyclists, or advocating it, in bicycle forums such as ours.
An illegally parked car...”maybe he wouldn’t like it keyed with a bell” or “smear it with dog poo”
A ped crossing illegally..... “He deserves to be run over” or “suffer the consequences including being run over by a 2 tonne steel cage”

On that other bike forum some two good cyclists advocate if done wrong too... “ring the authorities and tell them you spotted the driver throwing out rubbish”
Some think it is good to see cars in a certain street with lots of their side mirrors damaged.

I am the same as everyone else and get angry at times and I too have had my share of incidents with cars and peds. But we are saying they are perhaps dumb peds in this thread, and just as we have dumb cyclists, why are some writers wishing harm on other people or hoping for it to occur?
Or indeed implying that others deserve injury. Yet when a cyclist gets a good turn done by a motorist, would you like that motorist to say “Wow he made an error, lucky I braked” or to think “look at that idiot I should have given him a good bump for his trouble?”
We see so many pretty ordinary instances of just plain ebb and flow of traffic both here and on MM that are really just human error and not intentional.
Trouble is some seem to take it to heart as intentional (and it sometimes is) and then start seeing wrong in every minute of their ride.
outnabike

by BNA » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:41 pm

BNA

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:41 pm

I agree there is too much aggro.

CXCommuter wrote:Okay very slowly- you indicate that getting annoyed at being told off about breaking the law is justified as the other person is in a car,

That is not what I indicated.
human909

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Can someone point out anywhere I am advocating violence- I am not advocating violence, I am in fact solidly against it- what I am aggro about is people thinking they can break the law, that being either cyclists, pedestrians or drivers- get pulled up on it and then get annoyed/aggro/angry because they did get pulled up on it- which is a very common experience IMHO. I do not want to see anyone injured or any property damaged.

BTW I do not see riding across a busy pedestrian crossing with no warning, forcing drivers to brake hard as a minor infraction. The reason why dismounting is required is in part so drivers can see and react to what is expected at a pedestrian crossing ie a pedestrian not a cyclist.
CXCommuter

Postby jindydiver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:56 pm

human909 wrote:
jindydiver wrote:I of course expressed my amazement at her stupidity and pointed out what she did was stupid and illegal to be told that "you are wrong, in the ACT I can ride onto the crossing" as if her belief (which isn't supported by the road rules) would confer some magical protection from injury.

As a cyclist I would have been quite annoyed at somebody driving a 2 tonne cage trying to tell me that I should not be riding on a pedestrian crossing. Seriously dude, don't make yourself another rude motorist.

It is not the riding on the crossing that is the issue, it was the squirting onto the road with no warning (that the rule is supposed to address)..
The rider was less than safe regardless of the rules. I believe I was far less rude than the rider. I only yelled out because of the adrenal response after stopping my car inches from someone my son later called a "darwin award candidate".
jindydiver

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 pm

CXCommuter wrote:what I am aggro about is people thinking they can break the law, that being either cyclists, pedestrians or drivers- get pulled up on it and then get annoyed/aggro/angry because they did get pulled up on it- which is a very common experience IMHO.

You don't see how that is rude and antisocial? I had a friend who used to always yell out "Where's your helmet!?" every time she saw a cyclist without a helmet. It is unpleasant and rude. If somebody makes a mistake that warrants pointing out then sure point that out. But pointing out the rule infraction rather than the mistake is not productive.

Most people fragrantly breaking rules know they are doing it. Telling them that they are doing it doesn't achieve anything. Pointing out the problems could however be productive. If I had a chance to speak/yell at the moron I saw run a red light yesterday I would tell him "You shouldn't run red lights". I would like to point out that he almost he 4 school kids at high speed.

jindydiver wrote:It is not the riding on the crossing that is the issue, it was the squirting onto the road with no warning (that the rule is supposed to address)..
The rider was less than safe regardless of the rules. I believe I was far less rude than the rider. I only yelled out because of the adrenal response after stopping my car inches from someone my son later called a "darwin award candidate".

Fair enough. I do agree with you.
human909

Postby jindydiver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:08 pm

outnabike wrote:A ped crossing illegally..... “He deserves to be run over” or “suffer the consequences including being run over by a 2 tonne steel cage”

My yelling was a hope to educate someone and help them live longer, not in any way a violent act :roll:
jindydiver

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:17 pm

I would rather be perceived as being rude and anti social than having to pull a cyclist out from underneath a car or have saved someones life otherwise because they ignored basic laws that are put in place to protect them. If people think their own disregard of the law only impacts upon themselves they need a wake up- the above scenario impacts on the cyclist, the driver and those witnessing/assisting the cyclist who has been run over, all as a result of one persons selfish behaviour.

I have had several instances where people (cyclists, pedestrians and drivers) were pulled up on infractions and were actually grateful they got pulled up on the issue as their understanding of the law was lacking, unfortunately this response is so often lacking.
CXCommuter

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

MIght explain how he wound up in the chair.

Some people are just so much more important than the rest of us. :?
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Not really dumb, but probably just new to cycling I guess. I was passing another cyclist on the M7 and announced passing right. He looked behind and veered right at the same time. :shock: no incident occurred and I didn't say anything.

If that was you, no harm done and sorry if I scared you.
g-boaf

Postby Myrtone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:49 pm

CXCommuter wrote:I am sorry what!!! You break the law and get advised of it by someone anyone and you get annoyed- all I see from that comment is just another self important twit driving, riding, walking around believing their illegal behavior is justified in this case because they are on a bike not in a 2 tonne steel cage. If you break the law suffer the consequences including being run over by a 2 tonne steel cage that could not stop in time (which is probably why the law you broke is in place in the first instance)

If you don't observe the law and get run over by a 2 tonne steel cage, which may contain many more people than a bike can carry, you have suffered the consequences of your own actions, even if they could stop or swerve in time. Now if they were on the wrong side of the road and/or over the speed limit, they must necessarily be at least paritly responsible becasue they what they did was illegal irrespective of the presence of any pedestrian. But if on the correct side of the road and no greater than the speed limit, chances are, they did nothing (irrespectively) wrong, but if they pedestrian was say crossing on a red ped signal they did do something irrespectively wrong.
Myrtone

Postby Tomca74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:32 pm

I rode home from the city today around 11, for the first time. (never go in there if I can help it)
10km/h speed limit on the Goodwill bridge and I am riding nicely, a few walkers meandering all over the place, no problem, a little ding ding, they shuffle over. Get just past the coffee stand and 2 guys walking right in the middle of everything, ding ding, look over their shoulders and the left guy moves over, the right guy moves right. I slowly edge between them and the guy on the right puts his arm out and strikes me, not hard but makes contact. WT???? Oh wait, he is wearing a flanno and beanie, my bad. He starts abusing me. Really?
Dropped the bike and grabbed him by the throat and spun him around and pointed at the councils camera on the path and explained the concept of assault, provocation and the level of force I am entitled to use in my defence because there are two of them. Fortunately his mate wanted no part of it so no one was hurt and he apologised for his actions as I released pressure and I explained that if he chose to continue when I let him go I would take him to ground and call 000. He didn't get tough again until I was 20m away.
I have to deal with these 'tards at work, I shouldn't be doing freebies on my day off.
Tomca74

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 pm

:D :D
Lukeyboy

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

:D :D X2
CXCommuter

Postby Tomca74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:47 pm

and it was the second time I have used strava and was concerned I would be right at the bottom of the list for that segment, instead of top 4/5ths :oops:
Tomca74

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

:lol: Performance enhancing bogans? Whoda'thunk!
eldavo

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Tomca74 wrote:I rode home from the city today around 11, for the first time. (never go in there if I can help it)
10km/h speed limit on the Goodwill bridge and I am riding nicely, a few walkers meandering all over the place, no problem, a little ding ding, they shuffle over. Get just past the coffee stand and 2 guys walking right in the middle of everything, ding ding, look over their shoulders and the left guy moves over, the right guy moves right. I slowly edge between them and the guy on the right puts his arm out and strikes me, not hard but makes contact. WT???? Oh wait, he is wearing a flanno and beanie, my bad. He starts abusing me. Really?
Dropped the bike and grabbed him by the throat and spun him around and pointed at the councils camera on the path and explained the concept of assault, provocation and the level of force I am entitled to use in my defence because there are two of them. Fortunately his mate wanted no part of it so no one was hurt and he apologised for his actions as I released pressure and I explained that if he chose to continue when I let him go I would take him to ground and call 000. He didn't get tough again until I was 20m away.
I have to deal with these 'tards at work, I shouldn't be doing freebies on my day off.

I hate that part of town, Im sure somewhere there is says its a shared path, pedoes keep left and whats with the beanie in QLD summer ??? DERR! I think they need to go back south. :lol:
Dragster1

Postby MisuVir » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Brushed elbows with a couple of idiots who decided to pass a pedestrian on a shared path when there was oncoming traffic (me) right there.

All it takes is a two second slow down and you can pass safely. Instead, these people insist of barging through when there isn't room. Are these guys moron motorists in a bicycle disguise?
MisuVir

Postby outnabike » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 am

This just shows how a moment of rage can cause fatal consequences on a foot path.
http://www.news.com.au/world/the-horrib ... 6838177181
outnabike

Postby MisuVir » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:54 am

outnabike wrote:This just shows how a moment of rage can cause fatal consequences on a foot path.

Ugh. See, this is why I try my hardest not to confront people, even when they've wronged me. What kind of person can just go and punch someone then casually walk off? Scary that this man will be out and about in our society in 4 years (or less). Aggressive people like this need to be segregated from society.
MisuVir

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 am

Wasn't sure whether this belongs here or the MM thread as the guy involved was transitioning from car passenger to pedestrian - but anyway....

Travelling East on La Trobe St up past Flagstaff gardens towards William St. For those who don't know this area, the separation for the Copenlanes end about 50 metres before the intersection and continue on the left as an ordinary green lane up to the other side of William St where the separation resumes. A passenger in a car 3 or 4 back from the intersection opens his door into the bike lane without looking, almost taking out the cyclist 10-15 metres in front of me. After an "oi" from the cyclist in front, said passenger closes his door in a hurry then reopens it right into my path (once again not looking) - this earned him an Airzound blast, upon which he promptly starts abusing me.

Here's a hint buddy - if you've already almost hit one cyclist with your door, it might be an idea to actually look for other bikes before you try the same manoeuvre. There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them. Hopefully this genius finally got the message. :roll:
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 am

outnabike wrote:This just shows how a moment of rage can cause fatal consequences on a foot path.

I don't know what possesses people to act so violently like that. :(

Can I nominate for the dumb award the husband and wife team approaching a corner two-abreast, the wife wobbling at slow speed into my lane as I'm approaching the exit of the blind corner (I'm on the far left side of my lane). Even better, neither of them were wearing helmets.

She came very close to collecting me. Only the fact I was going less than 20km/h and being already far to the left prevented an incident. The wife didn't see anything wrong with the way she was riding.

About the only other thing I could have done was to go straight ahead off into the grass/dirt and try not to hit the fence nearby.
g-boaf

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:04 am

Cowcorner wrote:Wasn't sure whether this belongs here or the MM thread as the guy involved was transitioning from car passenger to pedestrian - but anyway....

Travelling East on La Trobe St up past Flagstaff gardens towards William St. For those who don't know this area, the separation for the Copenlanes end about 50 metres before the intersection and continue on the left as an ordinary green lane up to the other side of William St where the separation resumes. A passenger in a car 3 or 4 back from the intersection opens his door into the bike lane without looking, almost taking out the cyclist 10-15 metres in front of me. After an "oi" from the cyclist in front, said passenger closes his door in a hurry then reopens it right into my path (once again not looking) - this earned him an Airzound blast, upon which he promptly starts abusing me.

Here's a hint buddy - if you've already almost hit one cyclist with your door, it might be an idea to actually look for other bikes before you try the same manoeuvre. There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them. Hopefully this genius finally got the message. :roll:

Same thing happened to me last year in Collins St just before an intersection (in the gutter bike lane) except the front passenger managed to door the cyclist in front of me, AND the rear passenger doored me 20 metres behind (after the people in the car had been told off by said cyclist, the front passenger had closed her door and moved off and then the rear passenger opened his door on me as well). Both of us cyclists were travelling at slow speed, I had my foot unclipped and I just hit my hand into the door so it wasn't too much of an issue.

I think that is an appropriate use of an AirZound.

It is almost comical if it wasn't dangerous.
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Summernight wrote:I think that is an appropriate use of an AirZound.

I think I would have used more than an AZ. twice in the space of a minute? Some people do not learn unless they are forced to remember
jasonc

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Cowcorner wrote:There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them.

Just checked the rear camera footage - he almost got number three...

Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 am

Cowcorner wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:There were more riders coming up the hill behind me - didn't see what happened to them.

Just checked the rear camera footage - he almost got number three...

Have you got his rego? He needs a talking to
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion