The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Robinho » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Leaving repair stuff on cycle paths - CO2 cartridge specifically. Dumb or selfish, not sure which.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=73119&p=1096035#p1096035

The two are very much not mutually exclusive. So I'll go with both!
Robinho

by BNA » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:51 am

BNA

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:51 am

pretty sure it's the first one rhubarb. btw - kudos on the kom
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 am

Rhubarb wrote:Image

Looks like I need to lift my game.... or have strava pick up that segment :P
Lukeyboy

Postby Bah77 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 am

A kid on a scooter darts out onto the road, i thought he'd stop, or check the road..

I titled the video unpredictable, but I saw him and knew he would do something stupid... but still expected him to stop, he even looked at me (or so i thought)
Bah77

Postby Biffidus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 pm

CXCommuter wrote:I am thinking of making my own bicycle numberplate up- any suggestions for what it should say- was thinking SHVDLEGS or KUDOS2ME, maybe STRVAKOM or LYKMYASS, even LYCRASS?

I'll take AYHSMB :)
Biffidus

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 pm

Biffidus wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:I am thinking of making my own bicycle numberplate up- any suggestions for what it should say- was thinking SHVDLEGS or KUDOS2ME, maybe STRVAKOM or LYKMYASS, even LYCRASS?

I'll take AYHSMB :)

CMoreButts? I8PP? C.U.P?
Lukeyboy

Postby The Fixer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:20 pm

An incident the other day, on a shared path... There seems to be a lot of comments here describing
angst and aggro, abuse, and disrespect both to and from cyclists and pedestrians on shared paths.

Here's one with a different slant... It doesn't always have to be that way.

A lovely day last week sees yours truly, trundling along in no great hurry on the '80 Apollo III, keeping
to the left, although visibility was perfect on the (at this stage straight) path. Cue two sweet young
20-somethings heading towards me on foot, one keeping to her left, one in the centre of the path.

So, well before I was close enough to need the bell, they've noticed this Apollophile bearing down
upon them, and so they've moved, in plenty of time and in perfect safety.

To their right. Ie, onto my side of the path.

Looks of consternation ensue, and they begin to move back. I make a negative gesture, shake my
head and point to indicate that I would move to the right, and pass them on their left.

Friendly waves all round, two embarrassed smiles from them, and one friendly reassuring one (from
me), a chorus of 'Sorry!' and the world moved on once more.

Just thought I'd share... :)
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, if you're riding it, and you're happy, it's a good bike.
The Fixer

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Did you wake up to the dog licking your face? LOL
BianchiCam

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:30 am

^ :lol:

This morning there were more than usual bikes out on tee share path. Special mention goes to the muppet on the cruiser, riding along with not a care in the world weaving through the dashed centreline marking. He was doing it for a fair while while I caught him up so I rang the bell a couple of times a good distance out, appeared not to notice so I rang the bell lots of times as I got closer. He moved back to the left as I got into passing mode so I duly passed. Only problem was he wasn't moving left for me, merely weaving to the left, which when followed by another weave to the right meant near collision status. Vocal disapproval from me (not offensive).

I didn't stop to see if he got the hint, but hope that he did because there was another rider not far behind that I had just overtaken and was also riding at a fair pace. There was also at least three other riders on the path that would have overtaken him at some stage too.

As he was moving left and right I couldn't tell wether he was moving left out of the way or just continuing on his weaving way. Fine if you are the only one around, not so fine when other riders are riding faster in the same direction.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby briztoon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Group ride this morning. Some bloke on a steelie overtook our group and proceeded to run 4 successive red lights along one of our busier roads. Some people give cyclists a bad reputation.
briztoon

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:53 pm

briztoon wrote:Group ride this morning. Some bloke on a steelie overtook our group and proceeded to run 4 successive red lights along one of our busier roads. Some people give cyclists a bad reputation.

One guy to add to this too, on Camden Valley Way this morning. Went straight through the red crossing light and nearly got himself cleaned up by a car turning right. All it saved him was maybe a minute in getting to the McDonalds about a few hundred metres away.

I imagine his club will find out about it if the car driver makes a complaint (he was in the full team kit).
g-boaf

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Tomca74

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:59 pm

If you use behind the saddle bidon holders please ditch them. They seem to be very popular with tri-athletes. I was descending a steepish hill recently and the rider in front lost a bidon and I watched it bouncing across the road thinking this won't end well. Thankfully I steered around it. I told the rider those bidon cages are rubbish. He then held onto his bottle when descending over bumpy road. Who needs two hands on the bar when descending!
biker jk

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Tomca74 wrote:http://youtu.be/yTUXvUeRY7U

When in Browns Plains..... :P

IMHO he needs a steeper hill :P
Lukeyboy

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm

biker jk wrote:If you use behind the saddle bidon holders please ditch them. They seem to be very popular with tri-athletes. I was descending a steepish hill recently and the rider in front lost a bidon and I watched it bouncing across the road thinking this won't end well. Thankfully I steered around it. I told the rider those bidon cages are rubbish. He then held onto his bottle when descending over bumpy road. Who needs two hands on the bar when descending!

Often referred to as bidon launchers. They need the right cage to be secure. Hitting a bottle doesn't usually end well.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 pm

The bloke on a road bike i saw in Marcoola on sunday afternoon definitely fits the dumb cyclist category. Coming up to the red traffic light for a pedestrian crossing, a couple of cars in front of him and instead of just feathering the brakes for a couple of seconds til the light turned green, he just went flying through the red. No excuse.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:46 pm

It was me today... I was towing one of my kids to school (Fadden) from Canberra Hospital, when I decided to go down the hill along the road shoulder on Erindale Dve instead of get lost on the trails between Long Gully Rd and Bugden Ave. I was on my mtb with a tag-a-long. We topped out at 57.2km/h on the way down, which I'm fairly sure is beyond the design capacity of the tag-a-long... The boy loved it, but in hindsight I feel like a very irresponsible parent...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:01 pm

lobstermash wrote:It was me today... I was towing one of my kids to school (Fadden) from Canberra Hospital, when I decided to go down the hill along the road shoulder on Erindale Dve instead of get lost on the trails between Long Gully Rd and Bugden Ave. I was on my mtb with a tag-a-long. We topped out at 57.2km/h on the way down, which I'm fairly sure is beyond the design capacity of the tag-a-long... The boy loved it, but in hindsight I feel like a very irresponsible parent...

Lobstermash- next goal is to hit 60km/h then your son will think you are even more of a legend!!
CXCommuter

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Next time i'm in canberra I'll offer my services as a lead out :P
Lukeyboy

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
lobstermash wrote:It was me today... I was towing one of my kids to school (Fadden) from Canberra Hospital, when I decided to go down the hill along the road shoulder on Erindale Dve instead of get lost on the trails between Long Gully Rd and Bugden Ave. I was on my mtb with a tag-a-long. We topped out at 57.2km/h on the way down, which I'm fairly sure is beyond the design capacity of the tag-a-long... The boy loved it, but in hindsight I feel like a very irresponsible parent...

Lobstermash- next goal is to hit 60km/h then your son will think you are even more of a legend!!

I could pump up the knobblies a little or chuck some slicks on there I guess...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby AKO » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
biker jk wrote:If you use behind the saddle bidon holders please ditch them. They seem to be very popular with tri-athletes. I was descending a steepish hill recently and the rider in front lost a bidon and I watched it bouncing across the road thinking this won't end well. Thankfully I steered around it. I told the rider those bidon cages are rubbish. He then held onto his bottle when descending over bumpy road. Who needs two hands on the bar when descending!

Often referred to as bidon launchers. They need the right cage to be secure. Hitting a bottle doesn't usually end well.

Cheers,

Cameron

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago at my first ever race (a crit). Me and another fella were sprinting to the the finish line to decide second last place when one of his bidons came out. The thing was rolling around, going left, then right, left again arhg. Not that I had much chance of beating him to the line but the bidon pretty much guarenteed it. :lol:
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 pm

My 4YO in particular continually eggs me on to go 'racing'. We did the 'Big Canberra Bike Ride' recently and both kids loved the fast bit along Parkes Way when we were riding with a couple of racing mates on a tandem, and another in a CCC jersey towing a trailer at 35-40 km/h. They also liked the couple of hot laps that we did of the Stromlo crit circuit.

I don't see the problem of speed (when it is sensible), even at maximum braking, the bike doesn't have enough traction to cause the tag-a-long to jack-knife. Teach the kids to enjoy riding I say.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:44 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I don't see the problem of speed (when it is sensible), even at maximum braking, the bike doesn't have enough traction to cause the tag-a-long to jack-knife. Teach the kids to enjoy riding I say.

What makes you think bikes don't have much traction? Their traction is little different from most road vehicles with carbon black tyres. Bikes can stop extremely quickly if you ask them to. A tag-a-long though is unlikely to jacknife, but that isn't due to the lack of braking on bikes!
human909

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:11 am

Me this morning, decided to take an inbound shortcut which was the reverse of my normal outbound path (don't normally go the same way inbound and outbound).

Was turning right at a roundabout, but had my eye on a ute approaching from straight on to make sure he was giving way, and seemed to miss my exit!? Around I go again, meanwhile it turns out the ute was using the roundabout to do a u-ey so we're both going around and around in circles. Get back to the point where I want to exit to discover I can't, you can only enter the roundabout from the right (my normal outbound route) but not exit it. I'm not very observant of stuff I don't need to immediately know (like notice return routes) and its a weird little 5-way roundabout. Anyway around I go again.... with a different car also going in circles doing a u-ey behind me... :oops:

Luckily everybody was patient.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
InTheWoods

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:11 am

that's why my wife won't let me get a tag-along :(
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion