The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby duncan16v » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:31 am

LOL!
duncan16v

by BNA » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 am

BNA

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 am

biker jk wrote:The two dumb cyclists who ran the red light at the corner of Oxford St and Glenmore Rd Paddington this morning. I was turning right from Glenmore Rd into Oxford St and given the regularity of red light runners here I always check left to see what's coming down the hill. Funnily enough when I yelled "red light" at the cyclists running the red they pretended not to hear anything. Mind you, since they're often wired for sound, that could be the reason. Morons.

Must be blitz day - 1 motorbike cop & 3 bicycle cops at the corner of College St & Park St, with another 2 bicycle cops riding haphazardly to the north along College St.
find_bruce

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:06 pm

elantra wrote:Pedestrian thinks it is a good idea to walk across the road with his four-legged friend.
Four-legs gets to the middle of the road and suddenly stops and does a big dump.
Meanwhile 2 cars come around the corner and have to pull up and wait for the job to finish.
Dog completes the road crossing as if nothing had happened.

Was it a shih tzu?
biker jk

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:34 pm

biker jk wrote:
elantra wrote:Pedestrian thinks it is a good idea to walk across the road with his four-legged friend.
Four-legs gets to the middle of the road and suddenly stops and does a big dump.
Meanwhile 2 cars come around the corner and have to pull up and wait for the job to finish.

Was it a shih tzu?

Did the owner pick it up? Gives the rest of us a bad name when irresponsible, inconsiderate dog owners leave their dog' s turds everywhere :x
warthog1

Postby Dragster1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 pm

biker jk wrote:

Was it a shih tzu?

Or maybe a POO dle :lol:
Dragster1

Postby tekapo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 pm

biker jk wrote:The two dumb cyclists who ran the red light at the corner of Oxford St and Glenmore Rd Paddington this morning. I was turning right from Glenmore Rd into Oxford St and given the regularity of red light runners here I always check left to see what's coming down the hill. Funnily enough when I yelled "red light" at the cyclists running the red they pretended not to hear anything. Mind you, since they're often wired for sound, that could be the reason. Morons.

I was slowing down as I head into a red light. The cyclist in front looked back, and glanced to the left. As I stopped he ran the red at a snails pace. When the light went green, I over took him in about 30 seconds. But alas, as I stopped for the next set of red lights, he over took me and turned off to the right........

Don't get the mind set of some of they cyclists, its certainly not about the speed or the need to get some where fast......
tekapo

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:58 am

had an argument with a pedestrian on the kurilpa bridge this morning. he was heading towards me. I was on the left hand side. I saw him and rang my bell. I came to a stop (unclipped). He initially said "sorry". I asked him to "please keep left" (as the markings on the ground suggest). I took off. The exuses then started "But it's raining". my response "I'll use that excuse with the police next time I drive down the wrong side of the road". swear words from the pedestrian followed after he suggested I go back to him and have a chat.

best thing was, it wasn't raining.
jasonc

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 am

Peak hour traffic in Canberra CBD this morning and it's raining, already been several collisions reported on the roads, when dreadlocked hippy riding a MTB (BSO) no helmet and no hands through a red light as traffic is trying to go through and then continues down the road sans hands and helmet and then decides at the last minute without a headcheck or signal to continue his journey on the footpath. I knew just looking at him that he was going to do something stupid and he didn't surprise me.
Ross

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 am

Heading home after lunch crossing Kurilpa Bridge, I encountered peds 4 wide at the hairpin. Rolled up behind them as they started cutting the corner. I dinged my bell twice quietly as I approached the closing gap on their right. As I passed, the fat suit guy says he should shove the bell up my a $$. The women stopped giggling when I put my bike down and grabbed him by the tie and told him to go ahead. He tried to say I was assaulting him but pointed out he threatened me so it's all good. He then said he does boxing. Good, about time someone put up a decent fight. Sadly he was all talk, so choked him with his tie for a few seconds while explaining how manners were important.
Turning into a right a $$ hole but I swear I only do it when warranted.
Further along the path 2 mums were dealing with pram issues and apologised for blocking the path, even though they weren't blocking it at all. I stopped and helped fix the pram.
Tomca74

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:18 am

I want to ride with you tomca. you have all the fun
jasonc

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:47 am

Had the opposite to tomca this morning. Three peds across the path, me in no hurry. There were puddles on the path the three were avoiding, and we were approaching a pinch point chicane thing that leads to the road. I chose to cruise up behind them and was going to wait until past the pinch point. One of them looked behind and they couldn't get out of the way soon enough. Cheerful greetings all around, they said I should have just told them to get out of the way to which I responded I would have rung the bell if necessary. All three are regular morning exercise walkers.

Fortunately they aren't all dumb, arrogant etc.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Pity Tomca didn't get it on video!
Ross

Postby Tomca74 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Ross wrote:Pity Tomca didn't get it on video!

I only run the camera on the road. And approaching my group, I wasn't in a rush either, coasted slowly up to the group so old mates attitude was a surprise. I do a lot of km on the bike so I guess odds are in my favor for finding tools.
I am always polite and accommodating but rude fools, spitters and aggressive a $$ holes need to be pulled up on their poor manners. I kayak a lot and boaties are far more respectful and I doubt any would not know paddle and sail has right of way over motor.
Tomca74

Postby nescius » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Ross wrote:Peak hour traffic in Canberra CBD this morning and it's raining, already been several collisions reported on the roads, when dreadlocked hippy riding a MTB (BSO) no helmet and no hands through a red light as traffic is trying to go through and then continues down the road sans hands and helmet and then decides at the last minute without a headcheck or signal to continue his journey on the footpath. I knew just looking at him that he was going to do something stupid and he didn't surprise me.

That reminds me of one of the local junkies I saw near Dickson a couple of months ago, he was riding diagonally through the intersection of Antill and Cowper street against the lights forcing all traffic to stop. He was also riding no hands because both hands were busy giving the finger to everyone on his way through. His ride was a really sweet looking downhill rig, looked pretty expensive and I'm sure whoever he stole it from was really missing it.
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby m@ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:16 pm

nescius wrote:That reminds me of one of the local junkies I saw near Dickson a couple of months ago, he was riding diagonally through the intersection of Antill and Cowper street against the lights forcing all traffic to stop. He was also riding no hands because both hands were busy giving the finger to everyone on his way through. His ride was a really sweet looking downhill rig, looked pretty expensive and I'm sure whoever he stole it from was really missing it.

No doubt on his way to badger people for $2 outside Dicko Woolies! :lol:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:59 am

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... 35mfk.html

I guess they both qualify.

59 year old male for this: "The man had been at a tram stop in Northcote and was looking at his phone when he stepped on to a bike path"

The cyclist for leaving the scene of the accident. "Police say the cyclist, described as being a middle-aged man in a black top and shorts, didn't stop to help after the 4.30pm crash." At least he subsequently got in contact with police, give him credit for that.
Scarfy96

Postby duncan16v » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:25 pm

On a lighter note...

On the Main Yarra Trail just north of Dight's Falls this evening at about 18:30. The most awe-inspiring mullet I have ever seen - I'm lost for superlatives to describe it. This comes kind of close
if you piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper. All this glory crowning a snug black singlet and shiny black showbag shorts.

I nearly stacked.
duncan16v

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 pm

That's not a proper mullet.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:32 pm

duncan16v wrote: piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper.

Sounds like an enduring long-term hair relationship to me. Should be given National Hairitage status :P

Unusual to see mullet upstream of Dights Falls :lol:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby duncan16v » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 pm

This geezer defined a new category of awfulness. Marie Antoinette crossed with New Romantics crossed with Ziggy Stardust crossed with Michael Bolton.

I really wished I had a camera. Then I was glad I didn't.
duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 pm

il padrone wrote:
duncan16v wrote: piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper.

Sounds like an enduring long-term hair relationship to me. Should be given National Hairitage status :P

Unusual to see mullet upstream of Dights Falls :lol:

Boom-tish!
duncan16v

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 am

duncan16v wrote:On a lighter note...

On the Main Yarra Trail just north of Dight's Falls this evening at about 18:30. The most awe-inspiring mullet I have ever seen - I'm lost for superlatives to describe it. This comes kind of close
if you piled the hair much higher on top and made it tight ringlets in greying salt-and-pepper. All this glory crowning a snug black singlet and shiny black showbag shorts.

I nearly stacked.

Brisbane has its own "Glorious Ranga Mullet" or at least we did until recently when he had it shaved for charity.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews ... 6858304919
Rhubarb

Postby biker jk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Dumb cyclist turns left through red light ending up almost side by side with my car (I turned right with green arrow). :shock: Road bike but no lycra so the usual stereotypes don't apply. :lol:
biker jk

Postby wob » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

I got cleaned up by a pedestrian this afternoon on the way home from work.

I was going up a bit of a hill probably doing about 20km, concentrating on the road ahead when I say a brown blur hit my front wheel. Next thing I knew I was flat on my back beside my bike.

Apparently someone had left their gate open while they were going inside to get stuff to put in their car and their 10 month old puppy saw it and rocketed out the front to freedom. The problem was that the puppy was a doberman and weighed around 30kg.

It hit me and didn't even stop. I think he got as much of a shock as I did cause he ran back inside and started barking at me from the verandah. The only damage was that I can see it that it twisted my front wheel so that it was 45 deg off from where the handle bars pointed and the read brake disk is rubbing on the pads. Fortunately I landed on my backpack and helmet so I'm just sore.

Sorry but I didn't take any photo's

Martin
wob

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 pm

Spotted this morning, or more like didn't spot, cyclist with NO lights amongst the pre-dawn morning 'rush' on the Fernleigh.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion