The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Ignoto wrote:Too many stories to read, not enough video to watch.



I've attempted that before :P
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2561
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

by BNA » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:24 am

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:24 am

Sunday morning, Welshpool Rd at Hale Rd. Citybound cyclist on Welshpool Rd decides the red light doesnt apply to him and saunters through just before traffic turns out of Hale Rd, then forcing traffic to slam on the brakes to avoid him. He was probably wondering why agitated motorists were close shaving him - first the motorists turning out of Hale Rd who had priority and then the couple who were behind him and actually stopped at a red light.
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:43 am

jasonc wrote:I'm going to put this here, til it's proved otherwise:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 42618&p=16

Story: 3 cyclists wavering in and out of 2 lanes in front of me about 50m short of a roundabout. I'm conscious of their totally oblivious and reckless riding so slow to about 10kph behind them in the right lane waiting for them to choose a lane. Beep horn to one cyclist in front of me who suddenly realises what he's doing and he moves into left lane. Zero contact. Not even an issue. Fine.

Dribble remaining 25m up to roundabout, come to complete stop to give way to other cars and aforementioned cyclist slams fist into left side of my car. I get out of car. Second cyclist in group rides around the back of my car and then starts smashing into the right hand side of my car. Not once but twice. Smashes right side view mirror to pieces.

Again, zero contact by me with these cyclists. I'm the one who's been totally responsible and alert to the point of actually avoiding any accident with these air brains and this is what I get. Unreal. Any wonder there's a call for regos on bikes. Reported it to the cops but coz I can't identify them it's all pretty much pointless.

However this response (further down the same page) is a sad indication of the contempt with which cyclists are regarded in this country:
OhHai wrote:Wow I would of ran them over for sure.

(You wont even face jail unless you kill them)
Cyclophiliac
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:33 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:However this response (further down the same page) is a sad indication of the contempt with which cyclists are regarded in this country:
OhHai wrote:Wow I would of ran them over for sure.

(You wont even face jail unless you kill them)


Don't feed the trolls on there.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6684
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Thu May 01, 2014 6:28 pm

User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Thu May 01, 2014 6:44 pm

You do seem to be well towards the centre of that path yourself (on a bend) and at times even keeping right :? :?
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 19781
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Ninja? Hardly, more like two cyclists riding in the middle of a path going fast around a corner. From that video it seems that speed and sightlines were the bigger issue.

I presume this is somebody else video as it seems to be in the US/Canada... They are driving on the other side of the road anyway. :wink:
Last edited by human909 on Thu May 01, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
human909
 
Posts: 5619
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby biker jk » Thu May 01, 2014 6:48 pm

il padrone wrote:You do seem to be well towards the centre of that path yourself (on a bend) and at times even keeping right :? :?


It looks to be in the US?
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 pm

I lol'd. Both in the middle of the pathway. Honestly what do you expect.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2561
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Thu May 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Looked like it was a cracking headbutt.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 pm

biker jk wrote:It looks to be in the US?


Ah, now I see that you are correct :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 19781
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Biffidus » Thu May 01, 2014 11:10 pm

He was lucky not to end up under a car...
User avatar
Biffidus
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Came across a MGIF selfish person riding a bicycle tonight.

I pulled into South Terrace heading into Fremantle. The person riding a bicycle was in front of me in the "bicycle lane" so I held back know it was coming to an end and then we would be stopped at the Parry Street lights. The person on the bike did I what thought was good riding and claimed the lane on approach and pulled up behind the two motor vehicles in front, who where also heading north on South Terrace into the cappuccino strip.

So person on bicycle stops at the lights. No worries I thought I will calmly wait behind her, then all of sudden she decides to filter pass the two cars in front on their left. It was a tight fit and I thought what a pointless move, as they will have to pass her again and she was not achieving anything. The she made it worse. She moved in front of us by crossing over the stop line (red light) into the intersection to take primary position now in front of three cars.

When the lights turned green she continued to retain primary delaying myself and the two cars in front. Personally I wasn't bothered (but thought her riding was selfish) as I was turning off but the driver immediately behind was less than impressed as he tried to pass her.

I was not impressed with her riding or attitude as all she achieved was to annoy two drivers; two drivers who did nothing to her and her moving to the front to block them was nothing more than a spiteful act. If anything it might have saved her two or three seconds. Worth it? Not in my world.

To top it off, she did all of this at 7:00 PM tonight without a front or rear light ... yeah real smart.

Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20861
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby citywomble » Sat May 03, 2014 2:19 am

Yes Andrew,

The dark clad ninjas are now evident on both the Mitchell freeway PSP and the coastal RSP and they ain't going slow.

This has the potential to end badly.
citywomble
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Sun May 04, 2014 5:28 am

Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby nezumi » Sun May 04, 2014 4:43 pm

human909 wrote:
nezumi wrote:Mountain biking would predominantly place only the person concerned at risk.

Rising like this not only puts the person concerned at risk, but also puts others at risk in the event that one of them comes off/the vehicle stops abruptly/one of them pulls out of the slipstream and goes backwards into the path of a car.

Seriously? You are now worried about thee safety of car occupants caused by errant cyclists? :roll: Pray tell me how many car occupants have been injured due to cyclists in the last decade?

nezumi wrote:Encouraging risky behavior is not good, but it is especially poor in Australia where we have a public health system that would end up funding the cost if something were to happen to these two.

If we were really worried about saving costs in the public health system there would be hundreds of lifestyle choices that we would be banning before these "risky" cycling activities were banned.


Physically injured, no. Mentally scarred after having a cyclist hit their car as a result of an unnecessarily risky maneuver, certainly. There is a reason that driving a train is regarded as a stressful occupation - the number of times "train collided with person" = suicide. Having it happen by a cyclist doing it unintentionally, feeling like you could have done *something* to prevent it, would be traumatic.

There is a difference between a calculated risk under controlled conditions of some form, and an unnecessary risk done for its own sake.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi
 
Posts: 728
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Sun May 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:Came across a MGIF selfish person riding a bicycle tonight.

I pulled into South Terrace heading into Fremantle. The person riding a bicycle was in front of me in the "bicycle lane" so I held back know it was coming to an end and then we would be stopped at the Parry Street lights. The person on the bike did I what thought was good riding and claimed the lane on approach and pulled up behind the two motor vehicles in front, who where also heading north on South Terrace into the cappuccino strip.

So person on bicycle stops at the lights. No worries I thought I will calmly wait behind her, then all of sudden she decides to filter pass the two cars in front on their left. It was a tight fit and I thought what a pointless move, as they will have to pass her again and she was not achieving anything. The she made it worse. She moved in front of us by crossing over the stop line (red light) into the intersection to take primary position now in front of three cars.

When the lights turned green she continued to retain primary delaying myself and the two cars in front. Personally I wasn't bothered (but thought her riding was selfish) as I was turning off but the driver immediately behind was less than impressed as he tried to pass her.

I was not impressed with her riding or attitude as all she achieved was to annoy two drivers; two drivers who did nothing to her and her moving to the front to block them was nothing more than a spiteful act. If anything it might have saved her two or three seconds. Worth it? Not in my world.

To top it off, she did all of this at 7:00 PM tonight without a front or rear light ... yeah real smart.

Andrew


When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:15 pm

wellington_street wrote:When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?


There is no clear line and I have no clear answers. Even more vexed is situations where there is a bike lane all the way to the front, a bike box at the front encouraging you to claim the lane and then a narrow lane ahead without a bike lane. It such circumstances the road infrastructure encouraging the push ahead and then claim the lane.

I think as a cyclists if you move to the front and claim the lane, then you really shouldn't be dawdling about accelerating or clipping in. In traffic in the areas where I ride I am travelling at the speed or even faster than the rest of the traffic, so I'm not holding people up. When traffic is light and there are only half a dozen cars then really why bother moving to the front.
human909
 
Posts: 5619
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby duncanm » Sun May 04, 2014 5:17 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Came across a MGIF selfish person riding a bicycle tonight.

I pulled into South Terrace heading into Fremantle. The person riding a bicycle was in front of me in the "bicycle lane" so I held back know it was coming to an end and then we would be stopped at the Parry Street lights. The person on the bike did I what thought was good riding and claimed the lane on approach and pulled up behind the two motor vehicles in front, who where also heading north on South Terrace into the cappuccino strip.

So person on bicycle stops at the lights. No worries I thought I will calmly wait behind her, then all of sudden she decides to filter pass the two cars in front on their left. It was a tight fit and I thought what a pointless move, as they will have to pass her again and she was not achieving anything. The she made it worse. She moved in front of us by crossing over the stop line (red light) into the intersection to take primary position now in front of three cars.

When the lights turned green she continued to retain primary delaying myself and the two cars in front. Personally I wasn't bothered (but thought her riding was selfish) as I was turning off but the driver immediately behind was less than impressed as he tried to pass her.

I was not impressed with her riding or attitude as all she achieved was to annoy two drivers; two drivers who did nothing to her and her moving to the front to block them was nothing more than a spiteful act. If anything it might have saved her two or three seconds. Worth it? Not in my world.

To top it off, she did all of this at 7:00 PM tonight without a front or rear light ... yeah real smart.

Andrew


When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?


there was some discussion recently on this topic in another thread..

Some situations call for filtering -- eg: large line of cars that won't make it through a light sequence, intersections when you're not slowing them down on the exit, etc. .. but its a judgement call, and I don't imagine most motorists who see us pass them in a line of traffic are using the same level of thought when weighing up the options.

I agree with Wellington in the above example -- I would have just hung back behind the two cars.

But I've filtered in situations where there is a huge line of stopped traffic (20+ cars), a short light sequence (5-6 can make it through), and a single lane turning right into a 3-lane road (ie: no way I'm blocking anyone), and some car drivers still get ticked off enough to honk and yell (prompting me to tap on their window in the next jammed line of traffic and ask Say What there problem is).

I've decided many drivers don't like anyone (car, bike, whatever) getting in front of them, whether it affects them or not.
duncanm
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Andy » Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 pm

herzog wrote:Looked like it was a cracking headbutt.

Right you are Grommet!
Interesting that camera dude tried to get to the correct side of the road/path (for USA)
User avatar
Andy
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:22 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kenwstr » Sun May 04, 2014 6:18 pm

duncanm wrote:
wellington_street wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Came across a MGIF selfish person riding a bicycle tonight.

I pulled into South Terrace heading into Fremantle. The person riding a bicycle was in front of me in the "bicycle lane" so I held back know it was coming to an end and then we would be stopped at the Parry Street lights. The person on the bike did I what thought was good riding and claimed the lane on approach and pulled up behind the two motor vehicles in front, who where also heading north on South Terrace into the cappuccino strip.

So person on bicycle stops at the lights. No worries I thought I will calmly wait behind her, then all of sudden she decides to filter pass the two cars in front on their left. It was a tight fit and I thought what a pointless move, as they will have to pass her again and she was not achieving anything. The she made it worse. She moved in front of us by crossing over the stop line (red light) into the intersection to take primary position now in front of three cars.

When the lights turned green she continued to retain primary delaying myself and the two cars in front. Personally I wasn't bothered (but thought her riding was selfish) as I was turning off but the driver immediately behind was less than impressed as he tried to pass her.

I was not impressed with her riding or attitude as all she achieved was to annoy two drivers; two drivers who did nothing to her and her moving to the front to block them was nothing more than a spiteful act. If anything it might have saved her two or three seconds. Worth it? Not in my world.

To top it off, she did all of this at 7:00 PM tonight without a front or rear light ... yeah real smart.

Andrew


When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?


there was some discussion recently on this topic in another thread..

Some situations call for filtering -- eg: large line of cars that won't make it through a light sequence, intersections when you're not slowing them down on the exit, etc. .. but its a judgement call, and I don't imagine most motorists who see us pass them in a line of traffic are using the same level of thought when weighing up the options.

I agree with Wellington in the above example -- I would have just hung back behind the two cars.

But I've filtered in situations where there is a huge line of stopped traffic (20+ cars), a short light sequence (5-6 can make it through), and a single lane turning right into a 3-lane road (ie: no way I'm blocking anyone), and some car drivers still get ticked off enough to honk and yell (prompting me to tap on their window in the next jammed line of traffic and ask WT? there problem is).

I've decided many drivers don't like anyone (car, bike, whatever) getting in front of them, whether it affects them or not.



Some people just have to win.

Ken
kenwstr
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Sun May 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Me, tonight. Had to duck around to a mates place, less than two blocks. Grabbed the SS MTB from hanging in the garage, it's got flat pedals. It hasn't been used for a while so a quick squeeze of the tyres and dab of the brakes to check and out I went. Brakes were a bit ordinary, tyres too squishy. I had a black tshirt and dark jeans on. DIY ninja. Man it was dark, I thought the street lights were heaps brighter, they seem a lot brighter when I drive :o only consolation was the tiny blinky on the back.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2919
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 am

The flying bicycles moment for this cyclist when he realises there is a bus on the street he was about to enter without looking
Image

The same cyclist demonstrating his emergency braking "skills" - here's a hint, more front brake, less rear
Image

Fortunately all ended well with no collision, although I suspect there are bite marks in his shorts
Image . . . . . . . Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4286
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Robinho » Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 pm

All idiot cyclists rather than drivers this morning.

1st the guy at the end of the psp going onto Aberdeen st, northbridge. There were about 10 riders waiting at the road and pedestrian lights, plus a Ute, when you decided to go round the Ute and into the busy junction of static traffic whilst faced with a red light. Unfortunately the traffic started moving when you reached the middle causing you to hastily unclip and shuffle into the pedestrian central reservation. I called you a genius. It was ironic.

The 2nd was 2 mins later, at the junction of Milligan and roe st. I was at the lights in the left turn lane. Cars in the right turn lane. 3 cyclists joined me, 2 on my right, who proceeded straight to the shared path and arena bridge when the lights changed. The 3rd guy pulled up on my left, against the kerb. I was turning left onto roe. You decided to try to go straight on against left turning traffic.

The final guy, nearly had his final moment another 2 mins later. I was waiting at the lights on horseshoe bridge to go over Wellington st, up William into the city. Some deathwish riding along Wellington turning left into William up the inside of a turning bendy bus going the same direction. Suicidal.
Robinho
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 am

Driving my car the 15km or so home from work yesterday (please forgive me, for I have sinned :( ) I saw about a dozen cyclists. All but one had good front and rear lights on their bikes which I was very pleased to see. Too many times you see riders with anemic glow worms for lights.

My rating of a "good" rear light is something like a PBSF or better. You can tell a PBSF from the unique flashing pattern.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drsnoopy, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers