The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 pm

bychosis wrote:Spotted this morning, or more like didn't spot, cyclist with NO lights amongst the pre-dawn morning 'rush' on the Fernleigh.

saw 3 of them in 30 minutes before dawn this morning.

my favourite saying "no lights, no brains"
jasonc

by BNA » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 pm

BNA

Postby wellington_street » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 pm

I had a helmet-less, light-less POBSO flying along the Beaufort Street path at at least 25km/h when I was about to turn into a driveway. Lucky I saw him mid-turn.
wellington_street

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:22 am

Dragster1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
elantra wrote:Pedestrian thinks it is a good idea to walk across the road with his four-legged friend.
Four-legs gets to the middle of the road and suddenly stops and does a big dump.
Meanwhile 2 cars come around the corner and have to pull up and wait for the job to finish.
Dog completes the road crossing as if nothing had happened.

Was it a shih tzu?

Or maybe a POO dle :lol:

Her name is elantra, not Sue. :roll:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby duncanm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:58 am

The MTB'r who blew the red light on Duffy Ave Westleigh this morning.

Plenty of traffic queued up (including moi, 3 positions back)... it turned green 20s later and I'd have been on his tail had he gone my way at Pennant Hills Rd.

This is a very busy intersection in the mornings, and the light sequence is non-intuitive. Easy to get bowled over by a car heading in an unexpected direction.
duncanm

Postby MisuVir » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Driving home late on Sunday and was confused as I thought there was a cyclist riding down the wrong side of the road.

This guy had a red blinking light on his front. No white lighting at all, and another red blinker on the back.

Very confusing.
MisuVir

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Yesterday I copped dumb cyclists, pedestrians and motorists at my worst intersection at the corner of Beaufort St and Roe St in Perth.

The timing of the lights has been messed up so peds and cyclists have to wait a really long time to cross this intersection with a shared path on each side. Consequently, both cyclists and peds feel it is ok to cross (at least to the middle) on the red. Problem is that motorists turning right onto Beaufort St heading south from Roe St have a very short green arrow... leading them to run the red arrow... at the same time the cyclist/ped crossing goes green.

Yesterday it went like this: cyclists and peds moved to the middle on the red, right arrow from Row St went red while motorists continued into the intersection, cyclist/ped light went green and cyclists/peds moved into the intersection... traffic conflict! To make matter worse, the motorists in Roe St trying to turn left south into Beaufort St started tooting those in front of them to go, even though the intersection was now blocked, because they couldn't see why those motorists in front were not moving. So now we have cyclists, peds and motorists all caught up in the intersection and other motorists tooting those who didn't want to move into that mess. Mayhem!
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Outbound Rudd St exit from Ipswich Motorway this afternoon. Dumb motorcyclist, B-doubles frequent this stretch of road.

http://youtu.be/GklVWINyXOY
Tomca74

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 pm

I was behind a dumb cyclist. There he was grinding away in big/small combo. Got infront of him on a hill and stopped for a stop sign as did the car infront of me. Proceeds to blow straight thru the stop sign. I had my revenge passed him again :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:08 pm

I saw a dumb cylclist at lunch time today... riding without a helmet the wrong way down a one way street. Bike had a seat post but no seat! :shock:
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Bunch riding down a slight downgrade to a stop sign, with no intention of stopping. Lead rider yells out 'CAR!' as there's a car coming, the rest of the bunch stops but he just pulls right out in front of it :roll:
wellington_street

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:16 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I saw a dumb cylclist at lunch time today... riding without a helmet the wrong way down a one way street. Bike had a seat post but no seat! :shock:

Was it an IT prototype?

Lukeyboy

Postby Ignoto » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 am

I don't know if I should be shocked and amazed or shake my head and think what a silly thing to do

Ignoto

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:54 am

And then came along some tea drinking lorry mechanic :P

Lukeyboy

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:01 pm

Came across 2 dumb cyclists on my commute the other day - DC1 stood up to put the hammer down & then suddenly stopped without warning. DC2 assumed DC1 was going to continue riding & so was completely unprepared for the emergency stop. Disc brakes & good grip on the tyres so rear wheel in the air, doing a stoppy, just managed to avoid getting up close & personal. Worst of all DC2 was riding my bike
find_bruce

Postby Creakyknees » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:57 pm

I just saw a crazy thing today,
A group of 5 or so riders in matching Anaconda (the camping store) kit who, while turning left, blasted though a give way sign onto Labouchere Rd in South Perth and turned wide into the far right lane, where they then moved back to the left lane at speed. This is a crazy busy road during the day, full of tourists on the way to South Perth foreshore and the Perth Zoo.

Not to one of them slowed down to check if there were any cars coming (there were, and one had to throw out the anchors very quickly). This could have ended very badly...for once it was the drivers who were on the ball.
Creakyknees

Postby herzog » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:04 pm

herzog

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:18 pm

herzog wrote:http://youtu.be/yzelH943JYA

A statistic waiting to happen. :shock:
biker jk

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 am

Ross

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:39 am

Dumb cyclist but I felt sorry for him. Commuter had a flat but no spare tube or patch kit. The bike shops nearby don't open for another few hours so his only option was a taxi to the CBD. Hopefully lesson learnt. BTW. I was a pedestrian so couldn't offer a tube.
biker jk

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby phineas » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 am

This morning. Dumb cyclist with a death wish!

New England Highway, peak hour.

Two lanes, ok shoulder on the left, guy riding his bike on the far right of the right lane!

No turn he could've need to make for quite awhile, so can't understand why on earth he would wedge himself in between trucks with nowhere to go, and a built-up median strip.

A car slowly coming up behind him gave a few warning beeps with the horn - less of a "get out of my way" beep and more of a "what are you doing - you're going to get yourself killed" sort of beep.

He stops, gets onto the median strip, car slowly passes him, and he starts screaming at the car "get back here!!!"

It was all quite scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phineas

Postby herzog » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Sounds like he may have been substance affected.
herzog

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Salmon cyclist Friday night in the bike lane heading in the opposite direction to me in my lane. I pointed out to him that there was a bike lane on the other side of the street going in his direction. He gave me the thumbs up that he'd understood so I gave him the thumbs up back. Ah well.
Summernight

Postby Big_Red » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Riding home from the city and whilst making my around the top end of Dockside (O'Connell St) turn the corner and a ped is standing smack bang in the middle of the road, a good 1.5m from a parked car, busy twiddling away on his smartphone - transcript goes like this as i go past;

me: Not a terrribly bright place to stand in the middle of the road, so you're not worried about being run over?
ped: Why don't you just look where you are going
me: It's only because i do look where i'm going and i have lights, that i'm able to barely miss you standing in the middle of the road.
ped: why don't you knasd;flgnsdklnhf'klszdnhdjf'kl;sghdkfnghdf...

:roll: I'm so going to just grab their phone and smash the crap out of it next time i see stuff like this. Some people don't deserve nice things.
Big_Red

Postby wexford » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 am

I encountered a classic on the commute home from work yesterday.

Eastbound on the PSP approaching Windan Bridge (Perth) came along a bloke riding two bikes with one hand between them. His left hand was holding a phone to his head, and his right hand was somehow steering TWO bikes, the one he was riding and another alongside.

I wish I had skills like that - I'm bad enough using two hands! The only reason I label him as a Dumb Cyclist is that he was doing all of this without a helmet.
wexford

Postby Percrime » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 am

Hmmmmm Wexford.. I think your priorities might be a little screwed when at best marginal control of a vehicle is not an issue but some level of protection when it goes pear shaped is. Soon we will be calling people dumb motorists... not for running red lights but for not doing it in a 4WD with 11 air bags.
Percrime

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion