The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 17, 2014 2:39 pm

herzog wrote:

So, the camera person on Summit Road, Mt Diablo, California parks themselves at a point right where a rider might just depart the road if they misjudge the turn, nearly gets hit once by one, then has it happen again? Wouldn't it be smarter to move somewhere a bit further around the corner to get yourself out of "the line of fire" so to speak?

It looks like that is some sort of race, is it not?
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

by BNA » Sat May 17, 2014 2:52 pm

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Sat May 17, 2014 2:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
herzog wrote:

So, the camera person on Summit Road, Mt Diablo, California parks themselves at a point right where a rider might just depart the road if they misjudge the turn, nearly gets hit once by one, then has it happen again? Wouldn't it be smarter to move somewhere a bit further around the corner to get yourself out of "the line of fire" so to speak?

It looks like that is some sort of race, is it not?


it's the same footage 5 times
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6666
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 17, 2014 3:15 pm

g-boaf wrote:
herzog wrote:

So, the camera person on Summit Road, Mt Diablo, California parks themselves at a point right where a rider might just depart the road if they misjudge the turn, nearly gets hit once by one, then has it happen again? Wouldn't it be smarter to move somewhere a bit further around the corner to get yourself out of "the line of fire" so to speak?

It looks like that is some sort of race, is it not?


He almost took out another rider when he spun his bike around. I wish people would really apply common sense to stopping locations. Its like those people that go to rallies and set up camp on the run off road and wonder why on earth they didn't stop for the corner.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 17, 2014 4:26 pm

In that respect, I'd suggest the person taking the video was silly for stopping where they did.
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Sun May 18, 2014 6:55 pm

This afternoon took a cruise down the foreshore share path. My two 24"-riding sons and me with a kiddie trailer on. Plenty of traffic around, peds, scooters, pets and bikes. A guy on a roadie gave me a "on your right" then passed me. All good. Then the roadie came up behind my 6yo in front who was slowing to ring his bell before overtaking two peds, on the right, as he has been taught. "Thanks for slowing down mate" I think, followed closely by "WT?" As he squeezed between said pedestrians and to the left of my son who I expected to do his normal sharp left turn to get back on the left. Heart skipped a beat or two as my son didn't do his normal keep left manoeuvre and the clearly-hasn't-ridden-around-children-much-rider didn't end up in a heap on the ground, made me want to give him a good "talking to" but no chance I could have caught him with the traffic, the load and the kids around. It's stressful enough trying to keep two budding riders from impacting others without "more important" riders causing headaches too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Marmoset » Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 pm

I nearly got taken off 3 times this morning by cyclists pulling in too early, getting too close when passing me and then overtaking just before a pretty clear bottleneck.

Car drivers give me far more room, the pack mentality was responsible for 2 of them but the guy who was within 6 inches of me on a clear wide road mustn't have seen my 2 rear lights or something?

I think people have got to pay more attention to how fast someone is going, not just look at the bike and assume that someone is slow enough to pull straight in front of. This morning I was on my hardtail mtb but still at 30Km/h, strange that I don't get the problem on the road bike (asides form normally being faster on that!) :roll:
Marmoset
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 am
Location: Perth

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue May 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Annoying kid cycling on the Rhodes foreshore path got all in my way this afternoon. I was cruising along and he was probably about 50m ahead of me going pretty slow and weaving around a bit when I called out and he looked back and saw me. But instead of keeping to the left like a sensible cyclist he decided to try to race me, weaving back and forth over the width of the path every time he looked back to see if I had caught him yet. When I did catch him he was looking back at me egging me to go so we could have a drag race or something but I couldn't pass as he was all over the middle of the path :S

I mean he wouldn't have been older than 12 or 13 I think and kids aren't really known for being smart but that's not something I would have ever done as a kid...
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby skull » Wed May 21, 2014 5:55 am

g-boaf wrote:In that respect, I'd suggest the person taking the video was silly for stopping where they did.


Pfft, they are off the road.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1798
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 am

Had a self-important twat in freshly pressed suit try to play chicken with me to force me off the bike several metres before a section of "pedestrian only" path behind the supreme court (where I ALWAYS, without fail, stop and let pedestrians through first then unclip and scoot through if empty or dismount and walk if pedestrians come through) yesterday arvo. I don't think he expected me to keep riding and made the smart choice of getting out of my way before his suit got all dirty.

Tosser. If he had politely said something about the pedestrian only signage, given that I was about to stop anyway, I wouldn't have had an issue with just going "yup no worries" and sacrificing all of 10 seconds for the sake of ensuring that there was one less voice whinging about cyclists. But - try to bully me? Nope - thats not going to end well for you champ. I'm far from being a little fella and I'm sure as hell not easily intimidated.
WarbyD
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm

WarbyD wrote:Had a self-important twat in freshly pressed suit try to play chicken with me to force me off the bike several metres before a section of "pedestrian only" path behind the supreme court (where I ALWAYS, without fail, stop and let pedestrians through first then unclip and scoot through if empty or dismount and walk if pedestrians come through) yesterday arvo. I don't think he expected me to keep riding and made the smart choice of getting out of my way before his suit got all dirty.

Tosser. If he had politely said something about the pedestrian only signage, given that I was about to stop anyway, I wouldn't have had an issue with just going "yup no worries" and sacrificing all of 10 seconds for the sake of ensuring that there was one less voice whinging about cyclists. But - try to bully me? Nope - thats not going to end well for you champ. I'm far from being a little fella and I'm sure as hell not easily intimidated.


:?: :?: :?:
I think you need to be more descriptive and elaborate. Otherwise it certainly sounds the guy in the suit was not the bully in the incident.
human909
 
Posts: 5563
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 pm

ok - deliberately leaving the path he was walking along to walk directly at me (travelling at walking pace) with a smug smile on his face. When I had already moved across to ensure I didn't impede pedestrians who had been walking ahead of him (none of whom showed any sign of being bothered by my actions).

I have no issue at all with not being allowed to cycle through the section in question (hence my usual behaviour as noted), but I wasn't yet at that point.
WarbyD
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby zero » Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Marmoset wrote:I nearly got taken off 3 times this morning by cyclists pulling in too early, getting too close when passing me and then overtaking just before a pretty clear bottleneck.

Car drivers give me far more room, the pack mentality was responsible for 2 of them but the guy who was within 6 inches of me on a clear wide road mustn't have seen my 2 rear lights or something?

I think people have got to pay more attention to how fast someone is going, not just look at the bike and assume that someone is slow enough to pull straight in front of. This morning I was on my hardtail mtb but still at 30Km/h, strange that I don't get the problem on the road bike (asides form normally being faster on that!) :roll:


The wider your line, the less closely other riders pass to be honest, and if you don't want to be boxed in at a chokepoint, take up a wide unblocked line early. That also works same with riders and drivers. Its amazing how much stupidity clear possession of the middle of a through lane prevents.
zero
 
Posts: 2718
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby snortin » Wed May 21, 2014 1:36 pm

human909 wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Had a self-important twat in freshly pressed suit try to play chicken with me to force me off the bike several metres before a section of "pedestrian only" path behind the supreme court (where I ALWAYS, without fail, stop and let pedestrians through first then unclip and scoot through if empty or dismount and walk if pedestrians come through) yesterday arvo. I don't think he expected me to keep riding and made the smart choice of getting out of my way before his suit got all dirty.

Tosser. If he had politely said something about the pedestrian only signage, given that I was about to stop anyway, I wouldn't have had an issue with just going "yup no worries" and sacrificing all of 10 seconds for the sake of ensuring that there was one less voice whinging about cyclists. But - try to bully me? Nope - thats not going to end well for you champ. I'm far from being a little fella and I'm sure as hell not easily intimidated.


:?: :?: :?:
I think you need to be more descriptive and elaborate. Otherwise it certainly sounds the guy in the suit was not the bully in the incident.


I read it as he was approaching the end of a shared path, and a ped deliberately went out of their way to obstruct. I see this happening more often, and my personal view is that it is being done as "retribution" for observed "slights" by cyclists. I don't really want to get into a discussion about why it may occur, just making an observation.

Note that I have had similar experiences, a particularly amusing one last week after Anzac Bridge, heading west bound, as I slowed to give way to a lady passing a slower ped. We were all travelling in the same direction. I slowed and waited for her to pass the other person, and called "passing on your right" when I was going to go past her. This was said with courtesy, and I had just waited for her to pass a pedestrian and not decided to push past (there probably was enough room if I had wanted to). She already knew I was behind her, and she told me that "you have to give way" as she stayed to the right for longer than required. I laughed and said I had, and that me saying passing on your right was a courtesy to let her know that I was there and about to pass. When she told me that I hadn't and that I needed to slow down I asked her if it was too hard to share the path, told her to have a nice day and thanked her for all her help.

You just can't win with some people even when you try your best to do the right thing.
snortin
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 am
Location: sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 pm

had a pedestrian with a mutt (on a leash) decided to move from the left side of the path to the right side of the path (against what the signs at either end of the path tell you to do). I ask said pedestrian to please keep left in future (I may have not been so polite). Tirade started. Guy riding behind me said "don't worry, have had run-ins with her before"

toowong outside subaru for those who want to know where
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6666
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 21, 2014 1:45 pm

snortin wrote:
human909 wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Had a self-important twat in freshly pressed suit try to play chicken with me to force me off the bike several metres before a section of "pedestrian only" path behind the supreme court (where I ALWAYS, without fail, stop and let pedestrians through first then unclip and scoot through if empty or dismount and walk if pedestrians come through) yesterday arvo. I don't think he expected me to keep riding and made the smart choice of getting out of my way before his suit got all dirty.

Tosser. If he had politely said something about the pedestrian only signage, given that I was about to stop anyway, I wouldn't have had an issue with just going "yup no worries" and sacrificing all of 10 seconds for the sake of ensuring that there was one less voice whinging about cyclists. But - try to bully me? Nope - thats not going to end well for you champ. I'm far from being a little fella and I'm sure as hell not easily intimidated.


:?: :?: :?:
I think you need to be more descriptive and elaborate. Otherwise it certainly sounds the guy in the suit was not the bully in the incident.


I read it as he was approaching the end of a shared path


Actually, just coming off a little driveway/service access at the back of the courthouse.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Cyclists are (rightly) becoming more assertive in defending our personal space on the roads.

It's not unexpected then, that pedestrians are doing likewise on footpaths.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby as7431 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Had two dumb cyclists pass me on the left without so much as a call or warning. It was a quiet road, with not much traffic, so passing on the right was easily achievable. I was sitting about 1m from the curb away from the puddles of water on the side. I caught up to them and explained that passing on the left especially without a call was a highly dangerous and stupid thing to do and that as I and all other cyclists want to get home tonight without a trip to the hospital, please don't do it again. There response - I will do what I want, "bugger" you and "there was room so who cares". But, what if I had decided to move over to the left. It would have got very ugly very quickly. This complete disregard for the safety of themselves and others is just astounding. Given the level of arrogance showed, no wonder people hate us.

End rant

Tim
as7431
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 21, 2014 2:31 pm

herzog wrote:Cyclists are (rightly) becoming more assertive in defending our personal space on the roads.

It's not unexpected then, that pedestrians are doing likewise on footpaths.


Quite right and I have no issue with this. My commute starts and finishes on the footpath (bike rack is on the footpath outside office on a one way street) - depending on level of foot traffic, I either get off and walk or pedal slowly. I accept that this is illegal and if challenged on it will quite happily say "Yup, fair call" and get off to walk. Likewise if I am held up by slow pedestrians or pedestrians wondering all over the path, I accept that it is "their" path and wait.

What I take issue with is anyone trying to bully me (or anyone else for that matter) into compliance. I'm not saying that I had any right to ride through the section he was trying to stop me riding through (again - as pointed out, my standard practice here is indeed to not ride through) I am saying that his means of trying to achieve compliance is not appropriate, not effective, and downright stupid. In truth, had we had this same encounter 10m further along (where we would be on the path behind the courthouse) I would be posting about me being the dumb cyclist for getting in everyone's way where I should not have been on a bike.
WarbyD
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby snortin » Wed May 21, 2014 2:53 pm

herzog wrote:Cyclists are (rightly) becoming more assertive in defending our personal space on the roads.

It's not unexpected then, that pedestrians are doing likewise on footpaths.


I have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with people refusing to let me pass (either cars, cyclists or pedestrians) and also people who go out of their way to stop me from passing. This is illegal.

It is the same when I am a pedestrian - if another pedestrian physically stops you from passing on a path, it is an offence under the road rules. If the pedestrian physically stops me from passing when I am on my bike, why is it any different (and it is actually an offence under the road rules)?

Note that I am talking about someone deliberately obstructing another - moving out of their way to prevent another from passing. I am not talking about the situation where a person is walking along a path and has a legitimate reason to "be in the cyclists way".
snortin
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 am
Location: sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 21, 2014 6:37 pm

jasonc wrote:had a pedestrian with a mutt (on a leash) decided to move from the left side of the path to the right side of the path (against what the signs at either end of the path tell you to do). I ask said pedestrian to please keep left in future (I may have not been so polite). Tirade started. Guy riding behind me said "don't worry, have had run-ins with her before"

toowong outside subaru for those who want to know where


Don't think you are supposed to say that. Haven't you learned from here that pedestrians are supposed to walk on the wrong side to make things confusing and dangerous. Note sarcasm! :wink:

It's crazy when they do that. I go really slow at that point.

I'll nominate the kids sitting across a really dark cycleway at night. They moved very fast upon seeing bright lights closing on them very quickly.
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:Don't think you are supposed to say that. Haven't you learned from here that pedestrians are supposed to walk on the wrong side to make things confusing and dangerous. Note sarcasm! :wink:

It's crazy when they do that. I go really slow at that point.


MUST fix the airzound :twisted:
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6666
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 21, 2014 10:55 pm

I've wanted one of those sometimes. :twisted:
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby lobstermash » Thu May 22, 2014 6:27 pm

I think the dumb cyclist was me on the way home tonight. I didn't realise someone was drafting me, so when I went to change chainrings and head checked what gear I was in on the rear I drifted to the right a little, just when my ghost drafter was going to pass. Copped a head shake for my sins.
Image
lobstermash
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Nah the 'ghost drafter' is definitely the dumb cyclist. And I always appreciate using the bell to let me know you're overtaking.
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Boognoss » Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 pm

wellington_street wrote:Nah the 'ghost drafter' is definitely the dumb cyclist. And I always appreciate using the bell to let me know you're overtaking.

+1.
Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 6088
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers