The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby WarbyD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Scott_C wrote:In WA it is 267(3):

267.Leading animals
(3) A person shall not drive a vehicle (that is not an animal) if an animal tethered to that vehicle is walking or running behind or alongside the vehicle when the vehicle is moving.

is holding a lead considered tethering to the vehicle? my reading of this would suggest that it is legal in WA, as long as you are holding the lead rather than having it tied to the bike..
WarbyD

by BNA » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:48 pm

BNA

Postby Scott_C » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:48 pm

WarbyD wrote:
Scott_C wrote:In WA it is 267(3):

267.Leading animals
(3) A person shall not drive a vehicle (that is not an animal) if an animal tethered to that vehicle is walking or running behind or alongside the vehicle when the vehicle is moving.

is holding a lead considered tethering to the vehicle? my reading of this would suggest that it is legal in WA, as long as you are holding the lead rather than having it tied to the bike..

It does look like you are correct that in WA it is not illegal to ride a bike while holding an untethered lead (provided you can hold the lead and make any required turn/stopping hand signals and keep at least one hand on the handlebars all at the same time).

267(2) may restrict you to leading 2 or less animals at once though, depending upon if a restriction that applies to riding in a vehicle applies to riding a bicycle.
Scott_C

Postby Bah77 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 pm

wellington_street wrote:Not sure if dumb or not? Yesterday was driving down Palmerston Street, Northbridge, and a young female hipster was riding down the "cycle lane" while her dog was trotting next to her on a leash.

I saw a woman riding up Mt coot-tha with her tiny dog running slightly ahead of her (no leash), then later on when i saw her descending the dog was in her backpack.
I wouldn't have posted about it in this thread though as it seemed under control.
Bah77

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Speaking about dogs and bikes. You guys might enjoy this. I did and I'm not even a dog person! :mrgreen:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/227689/
human909

Postby Davidrnau » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 am

Ignoto wrote:I don't know if I should be shocked and amazed or shake my head and think what a silly thing to do

Their behaviour/attitude is disgusting.

David
Davidrnau

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am

Davidrnau wrote:Their behaviour/attitude is disgusting.

Why is their behaviour disgusting? I'm curious how you can tell that their attitude from that video.

Are you suggesting people should not do risky activities? So what about mountainbiking?
Are you suggesting that people can do risky activities but not on a public road? So what about fast descending?

The willingness of people to condemn others for activities that they themselves would not do is far too high in this thread. I believe people stop being concerned with activities that don't affect them.
human909

Postby rdp_au » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:44 am

human909 wrote:Wow.. I wasn't aware of that law.

I can't believe we create laws for this and not laws to protect cyclists.

(Not that I think leading an animal is a good idea. But we can't create specific laws to outlaw every silly behavior.)

+ many
rdp_au

Postby Davidrnau » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 am

human909 wrote:

Why is their behaviour disgusting? I'm curious how you can tell that their attitude from that video.

Are you suggesting people should not do risky activities? So what about mountainbiking?
Are you suggesting that people can do risky activities but not on a public road? So what about fast descending?

The willingness of people to condemn others for activities that they themselves would not do is far too high in this thread. I believe people stop being concerned with activities that don't affect them.

Okay then....as a registered nurse....next time I see, have to look after a cyclist who took risky behaviors and lost and has an aquired brain injury "I won't be upset about it'

David
Last edited by Davidrnau on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davidrnau

Postby Percrime » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 pm

You lad need to change jobs. And its self evident you do in fact care what other people do. Way too much.
Percrime

Postby nezumi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 pm

human909 wrote:

Mountain biking would predominantly place only the person concerned at risk.

Rising like this not only puts the person concerned at risk, but also puts others at risk in the event that one of them comes off/the vehicle stops abruptly/one of them pulls out of the slipstream and goes backwards into the path of a car.

Encouraging risky behaivour is not good, but it is especially poor in Australia where we have a public health system that would end up funding the cost if something were to happen to these two.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:36 pm

nezumi wrote:Encouraging risky behaivour is not good, but it is especially poor in Australia where we have a public health system that would end up funding the cost if something were to happen to these two.

These two? Note the video is not from Australia.
InTheWoods

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:40 pm

The cyclist showing off his mad skillz by bombing down the shared path on Victoria Road westbound, jumping the kerb at Wellington St so he can blast past the Woolworths petrol station at 30 or so. Pretty much every week I see a driver pull out of there without looking up the hill for bikes. When this DC sees one, he is not going to have time to avoid it & the results will not be pretty. Sure it will be the drivers fault as the driver has the obligation to give way, but it will be the DC you bears the injuries.
find_bruce

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Dragster1

Postby wellington_street » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wellington_street

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:29 am

Dragster1 wrote:This one takes the cake
A WOMAN has been photographed cycling down a street with a little girl tied to her like a backpack.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/woman-ties-child-to-her-back-as-she-cycles-through-beijing-china/story-fnet085v-1226854148641?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=lifestyle

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear"
Andy

Postby diventare » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 am

Dumb cyclist riding through Edinburgh Gardens Fitzroy on last nights commute.
Coming towards me (plus other commuters in line), sitting upright both hands off the bars busily texting as he rode - focused totally on the all important mobile.
Classic nob.
diventare

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 am

Dragster1 wrote:This one takes the cake
A WOMAN has been photographed cycling down a street with a little girl tied to her like a backpack.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/woman-ties-child-to-her-back-as-she-cycles-through-beijing-china/story-fnet085v-1226854148641?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=lifestyle

Oh, come on, what's wrong with that? :?
Old news :| :wink:

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:01 pm

I was nearly taken out by a rider in a group of 3 near Prestons this morning negotiating a turn on a cycleway half in my lane. Only the fact I was hugging the left of my lane and almost on the fence line saved me. I think the other rider's "s&#t s&#t s&#t" comment expressed both our thoughts clearly enough.

If that was you, no harm done.
g-boaf

Postby outnabike » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi g-boaf,
Well done for keeping your cool.
I get this a fair bit and I reckon that group riders seem to get caught up in a time- situation warp where conversation takes over due care... :)
outnabike

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:13 pm

I think it's unfair to single out group rides. It's just a narrow corner and it has happened there many times before I'm sure.
g-boaf

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:56 am

nezumi wrote:Mountain biking would predominantly place only the person concerned at risk.

Rising like this not only puts the person concerned at risk, but also puts others at risk in the event that one of them comes off/the vehicle stops abruptly/one of them pulls out of the slipstream and goes backwards into the path of a car.

Seriously? You are now worried about thee safety of car occupants caused by errant cyclists? :roll: Pray tell me how many car occupants have been injured due to cyclists in the last decade?

nezumi wrote:Encouraging risky behaivour is not good, but it is especially poor in Australia where we have a public health system that would end up funding the cost if something were to happen to these two.

If we were really worried about saving costs in the public health system there would be hundreds of lifestyle choices that we would be banning before these "risky" cycling activities were banned.
human909

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am

Our public health system would be under less strain if more people used bicycles instead of their cars. :|
g-boaf

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 am

Woman hurt after being hit by ambulance

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... um=twitter

What's the bet she was texting or checking Facebook...

AN ambulance rushing to a job in Sydney has hit a young woman who stepped into its path.
Paramedics aboard the ambulance on Tuesday evening had to help the 23-year-old, who suffered serious facial, leg and arm injuries when she walked in front of the vehicle on Anzac Parade in Kensington, police said.

Another ambulance nearby was diverted to take on the job that the paramedics had been attending.

Police believe the first ambulance had its warning lights and sirens going when the incident happened.

The woman remains in a stable condition in St Vincents Hospital.

Police are investigating.

Ross

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

Two DCs this morning riding in the right lane of Oxford St Paddington heading West to make a right hand turn into a one way street. Yes, they were heading the wrong way down the one way street.
biker jk

Postby zero » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 am

biker jk wrote:Two DCs this morning riding in the right lane of Oxford St Paddington heading West to make a right hand turn into a one way street. Yes, they were heading the wrong way down the one way street.

The RMS has finally changed it policy on that, and I'd expect many streets like that to eventually be signposted 2 way for bicycles. Give about 30 years for the current driving population that never update their rule knowledge to die out and it might even become workable without idiocy from drivers. Like many other traffic flow devices, 1 way streets only exist because of cars.
zero

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion