The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby rheicel » Fri May 30, 2014 11:34 am

Boognoss wrote:Sorry, it was and shouldn't have been. Fixed now.

Well, this guy on your video just slaughtered the image of the whole cycling community. :(
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Fri May 30, 2014 11:40 am

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Boognoss » Fri May 30, 2014 11:40 am

rheicel wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Sorry, it was and shouldn't have been. Fixed now.

Well, this guy on your video just slaughtered the image of the whole cycling community. :(

That's what made me grumpy. I've seen this douchebag before, but previously not being such a douche. Really stood out today :evil: .
Image
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Cell SS
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri May 30, 2014 12:30 pm

rheicel wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Sorry, it was and shouldn't have been. Fixed now.

Well, this guy on your video just slaughtered the image of the whole cycling community. :(

No, he didn't. I'm part of the cycling community, and that idiot has never, and will never, represent me in any way.
Cyclophiliac
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:3D?


Sorry, it was and shouldn't have been. Fixed now.



Awww. I just found those damn 3D glasses too :(
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Val Val » Fri May 30, 2014 7:59 pm

I almost feel I ought to apologize for daring to post an opinion on your Internet. It was never my intention to cause offence or evoke such negative or even bitter responses as some of you have felt compelled to make. I do not know who you are, nor do I care, but I do not make any assumptions about you. Likewise, you do not know me so any assumptions you make about me are without foundation and reflect therefore only upon yourself.

Top boy and Biker Jk please feel free to call me names, if it makes you feel smugger and superior good for you.
il Padrone, yes I know that there are many well behaved cyclists and I have no doubt you are one of us. As for 'guns blazing' ? well it was hardly that.
Red Rider, I have a 12km commute that include paths and roads so I get plenty experience of sharing the road with motorists too and certainly I am wary of them.
Yes AKO I agree there are dumb motorists aplenty, no one can argue against you there.

The opinion I was trying to express is that collectively we as cyclists have a bad reputation and we do actually deserve that bad reputation. Yes Red Rider, we are all individuals it is true, however we are still all tarred with the same brush that paints us as louts.

So I ask, who are these 'thugs on bikes' who don't bell on approach or on blind corners, who overtake too close, cut in, fail to indicate their turns, overtake on the left, challenge motorists by riding in dark clothing at night and without lights, and so on and so on? Who are they? Not me or you or you or you or you it seems. But there they are. Hordes of them. I see them every day, suddenly out of nowhere. Like it or not they are us. Maybe nothing can be done to improve cyclist behaviour. Too bad.
Val Val
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 7:54 pm

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Val Val wrote:
The opinion I was trying to express is that collectively we as cyclists have a bad reputation and we do actually deserve that bad reputation.


You mentioned in your first post on the forum that car drivers have improved and it is cyclists who are unruly on the roads.
I disagree. You will find in motor vehicle/bicycle accidents 79% of the time the driver is at fault. That's not consistent with your argument.
http://www.bikeradar.com/au/news/article/drivers-at-fault-in-majority-of-cycling-accidents-28489/
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/four-in-every-five-crashes-between-cars-and-bicycles-caused-by-driver-of-car/story-e6frea83-1226581475412
Don't be surprised when your first post on a cycling forum, that criticises cyclist behaviour and is factually incorrect, gets an unfavourable response.
I cycled 17k km last year, all of that on the road and much of it commuting on a well lit bike in obeisance of road rules. I had numerous instances of poor driver behaviour and was lucky not to be hit a couple of times. My experience does not correlate with yours.
I believe driver behaviour has a long way to go in this selfish, impatient and entitled country. It is imperative it does improve, given the lethal results when drivers hit cyclists :x


Blame tapatalk
Last edited by warthog1 on Fri May 30, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Dragster1 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:42 pm

(AT) VAL VAL most of the people on here are devout cyclists, they live, eat and sleep cycling. Its not a hobby to them its a Great Passion you can easily insult them without meaning it. You need to realise that a lot of them have copped years of abuse from motorists, I try not focussing on the negative side of cycling but on some days I really see their point. Most of them are trying to help the cause for better cycling in their own way :wink:

Welcome to the site anyways--- sit back read and get a feel for the site before posting, they give much support and info to cyclists that need it eg. laws, insurance, repairs and ETC. We may not always agree on the same thing but we all share the same Passion just some more than others. 8)
Last edited by Dragster1 on Fri May 30, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dragster1
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 pm
Location: Eluding motorist in Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Fri May 30, 2014 8:49 pm

In a police operation that was targeting errant cyclists and pedestrians, 560 infringement notices were issued but only 27 bicycle infringements were issued. How does that sit with the lycra-lout image?
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 20177
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Badly Pete, badly. :(
You have to realise that the only way a rider can be seen is to do something technically naughty.
You can be 100% sure that the only cyclists seen by the majority of other road users in that area, at that time were the 27 looking sheepish before Plod.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26872
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby maestro » Fri May 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Val Val wrote:The opinion I was trying to express is that collectively we as cyclists have a bad reputation and we do actually deserve that bad reputation. Yes Red Rider, we are all individuals it is true, however we are still all tarred with the same brush that paints us as louts.

I couldn't disagree more. I have no control over any other cyclist,I am not the cycle police and have no authority to enforce correct behaviour (nor is it appropriate that I should try and enforce correct behaviour). Therefore I refuse to take any responsibility for something so totally out of my control. You would think it's ridiculous to have a go at some random innocent driver just because they are driving the same class of vehicle as a moron driver, I don't see how that should be any different for bicycle riders.

Val Val wrote:So I ask, who are these 'thugs on bikes' who don't bell on approach or on blind corners, who overtake too close, cut in, fail to indicate their turns, overtake on the left, challenge motorists by riding in dark clothing at night and without lights, and so on and so on? Who are they? Not me or you or you or you or you it seems. But there they are. Hordes of them. I see them every day, suddenly out of nowhere. Like it or not they are us. Maybe nothing can be done to improve cyclist behaviour. Too bad.

So my answer to your first question would be... Not me! And I don't think that it's appropriate for me to give any further answer than that.
So, what can be done to improve cyclist behaviour? Well, IMHO you need to engage the people who are doing the wrong thing. I think you need a combination of education and enforcement. You need clear expectations of behaviour and visible policing (which requires cost and police resources). There's nothing really that I, personally, can do except to keep doing the right thing myself.
maestro
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat May 31, 2014 7:27 am

maestro wrote:
Val Val wrote:The opinion I was trying to express is that collectively we as cyclists have a bad reputation and we do actually deserve that bad reputation. Yes Red Rider, we are all individuals it is true, however we are still all tarred with the same brush that paints us as louts.

I couldn't disagree more. I have no control over any other cyclist,I am not the cycle police and have no authority to enforce correct behaviour (nor is it appropriate that I should try and enforce correct behaviour). Therefore I refuse to take any responsibility for something so totally out of my control. You would think it's ridiculous to have a go at some random innocent driver just because they are driving the same class of vehicle as a moron driver, I don't see how that should be any different for bicycle riders.

Val Val wrote:So I ask, who are these 'thugs on bikes' who don't bell on approach or on blind corners, who overtake too close, cut in, fail to indicate their turns, overtake on the left, challenge motorists by riding in dark clothing at night and without lights, and so on and so on? Who are they? Not me or you or you or you or you it seems. But there they are. Hordes of them. I see them every day, suddenly out of nowhere. Like it or not they are us. Maybe nothing can be done to improve cyclist behaviour. Too bad.

So my answer to your first question would be... Not me! And I don't think that it's appropriate for me to give any further answer than that.
So, what can be done to improve cyclist behaviour? Well, IMHO you need to engage the people who are doing the wrong thing. I think you need a combination of education and enforcement. You need clear expectations of behaviour and visible policing (which requires cost and police resources). There's nothing really that I, personally, can do except to keep doing the right thing myself.

Val Val is clearly affected by the minority group syndrome, in which you subscribe to the view that all members of a minority group are responsible for what any member does.
Cyclophiliac
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 am

Cyclophiliac wrote: Val Val is clearly affected by the minority group syndrome, in which you subscribe to the view that all members of a minority group are responsible for what any member does.


This. Lots in our society are affected the same was. It's how we get stereotypes, especially the bad ones. Anyone got a good word to say about p-platers?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 3114
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Sat May 31, 2014 8:20 am

bychosis wrote:Anyone got a good word to say about p-platers?


When they have their P-plates displayed, you know which cars to stay away from? :lol:
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7105
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kenwstr » Sat May 31, 2014 9:18 am

Personally, I find tradie uts the worst but if it's also got Ps you are pretty much in for a very close pass or a cutoff in the last few metres to a roundabout.
But shouldn't this be in the Moron Motorist thread?

Ken
kenwstr
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Val Val » Sat May 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks Dragster :) I take your point.
Warthog I did not make inaccurate statements, nor present facts pertaining to accident rates. I related my own observations regarding behaviour.
Cyclophiliac I suspect you may be mistaken about me only because you have so little evidence upon which to base such an assertion, but of course you may well be right. I am not familiar with that term.
Bychosis is on the money.

I should provide some context for my statements which are not based on ABS statistics but my own observations. I've been riding and commuting Sydney for decades. When I began I observed very very few cycling commuters. Amenities for commuting cyclists seemed to me to be extremely limited to say the least. I found most motorists were inconsiderate at best and very often hostile to cyclists. Naturally I developed a set of expectations for motorist behaviour that would enable me to survive my journey alive and intact. As I said, I did not encounter fellow cyclists frequently.

I encounter many many more commuting or apparently commuting cyclists in the past few years. There a more and better cycling facilities. There appears to me to be a much greater awareness that the bicycle is a legitimate use of the public roads. My own personal observations are that motorists on the routes I use are in general less hostile and inconsiderate towards cyclists than the motorists of ten or twenty years ago.

Where previously I perceived that motorists represented the predominant threat to my welfare and equilibrium, these days I observe this threat coming from cyclists.

Make no mistake, I am ALL for cycling. I have three bicycles and I use them. For me there is no better way of moving. Because I love my bike and cycling so much I can honestly say that going to work is truly the best part of my day. Thank you Dragster for reminding me that users of this site are passionate cyclists too.
I won't post any more on this topic :)
Val Val
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Sat May 31, 2014 1:00 pm

Val Val wrote:I won't post any more on this topic :)


I think that's wrong. There are many discussion topics on this forum discussing exactly what you have posted. It would be worth finding and "joining" them
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7105
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Val Val wrote:The opinion I was trying to express is that collectively we as cyclists have a bad reputation and we do actually deserve that bad
reputation.

Surely motorists and pedestrians deserve a worse reputation. Both groups are far more likely to be at fault in road collisions than cyclists. Pedestrians certainly are far more likely to ignore red signals. Motorists are far more likely to kill people.

Val Val wrote:Where previously I perceived that motorists represented the predominant threat to my welfare and equilibrium, these days I observe this threat coming from cyclists.

Wow. You must ride around some very dangerous cyclists or some very safe motorists. I honestly cannot ever remember a time when I have been endangered by another cyclist. (Maybe some of this due to the fact that I mostly ride on the road and bike lanes thus don't often encounter cyclists going the other direction close to me.)
human909
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby yugyug » Sat May 31, 2014 2:23 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Badly Pete, badly. :(
You have to realise that the only way a rider can be seen is to do something technically naughty.
You can be 100% sure that the only cyclists seen by the majority of other road users in that area, at that time were the 27 looking sheepish before Plod.


As one of the 27, I take issue with your baseless assumption I appeared sheepish. I confidently gave my captors a serve of anti-MHL rhetoric and took my fine with pride.

And I told one copper to his face he was just plain wrong in asserting I was required to ride on a cyclepath rather than the road. That aint' sheepish ;)
User avatar
yugyug
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby warthog1 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:33 pm

Val Val wrote:
Warthog I did not make inaccurate statements, nor present facts pertaining to accident rates.


Having read the following I would contest that statement;

Val Val wrote: I am disappointed that as a group we really do deserve the contempt of all other road users. Collectively our behaviour on the road is appalling


Val Val wrote: Frankly, in my extensive experience, motorists do not deserve the flak they receive from cyclists.


Certainly your experience is different from mine and many on here. I posted those links as evidence that your opinion of drivers and cyclists is statistically inaccurate.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Sat May 31, 2014 5:01 pm

yugyug wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Badly Pete, badly. :(
You have to realise that the only way a rider can be seen is to do something technically naughty.
You can be 100% sure that the only cyclists seen by the majority of other road users in that area, at that time were the 27 looking sheepish before Plod.


As one of the 27, I take issue with your baseless assumption I appeared sheepish. I confidently gave my captors a serve of anti-MHL rhetoric and took my fine with pride.

And I told one copper to his face he was just plain wrong in asserting I was required to ride on a cyclepath rather than the road. That aint' sheepish ;)


so did you get done for not having a helmet and not using the "bike lane" or just for the helmet?
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7105
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby yugyug » Sat May 31, 2014 6:05 pm

jasonc wrote:so did you get done for not having a helmet and not using the "bike lane" or just for the helmet?


Won't know for sure until I get the ticket in the mail, but just the helmet I was told. I would be really surprised if they booked me for not using a magical non-existent bicycle lane.
User avatar
yugyug
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 31, 2014 8:07 pm

yugyug wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Badly Pete, badly. :(
You have to realise that the only way a rider can be seen is to do something technically naughty.
You can be 100% sure that the only cyclists seen by the majority of other road users in that area, at that time were the 27 looking sheepish before Plod.


As one of the 27, I take issue with your baseless assumption I appeared sheepish. I confidently gave my captors a serve of anti-MHL rhetoric and took my fine with pride.

And I told one copper to his face he was just plain wrong in asserting I was required to ride on a cyclepath rather than the road. That aint' sheepish ;)


:oops: My bad, infinity-1 apologies for making such a stupid, broad brush stereotyping comment :D

Well done on the path defence too 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26872
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby el mundo gira » Sat May 31, 2014 9:56 pm

human909 wrote:I honestly cannot ever remember a time when I have been endangered by another cyclist.
Yeah ! In your face Val Val, right human 909 ? I mean, who has EVER observed a cyclist run a red light, ride at unsafe speeds, blow a stop sign, overtake at a blind corner in the near dark, ride without lights, refuse to use a bell, monopolise driving lanes while an offroad bike path is available, ignore the "cyclists dismount" signs on pedestrian footbridges, ride two abreast on paths barely 1m wide ? Fiction ! God knows what trolls we have in this forum. human 909, my friend, can you please post an avatar so I can use you as my hero ?
el mundo gira
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Biffidus » Sat May 31, 2014 10:16 pm

This thread is proof enough that cyclists do some stupid things... but they're a lot less dangerous to other road users than the stuff I see in the moron motorists thread.

Can we go back to bashing specific instances of pedestrian/cyclist behaviour now?
User avatar
Biffidus
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 31, 2014 11:41 pm

What's wrong Biff?
Tired of trip trapping over that bridge?

Tapatalk did this... :-\
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26872
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: countryteen, crazioldjane, duds2u, foo on patrol, Google Feedfetcher, wayne watt



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers