The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby citywomble » Sat May 03, 2014 2:19 am

Yes Andrew,

The dark clad ninjas are now evident on both the Mitchell freeway PSP and the coastal RSP and they ain't going slow.

This has the potential to end badly.
citywomble
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:40 pm

by BNA » Sun May 04, 2014 5:28 am

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Sun May 04, 2014 5:28 am

Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby nezumi » Sun May 04, 2014 4:43 pm

human909 wrote:
nezumi wrote:Mountain biking would predominantly place only the person concerned at risk.

Rising like this not only puts the person concerned at risk, but also puts others at risk in the event that one of them comes off/the vehicle stops abruptly/one of them pulls out of the slipstream and goes backwards into the path of a car.

Seriously? You are now worried about thee safety of car occupants caused by errant cyclists? :roll: Pray tell me how many car occupants have been injured due to cyclists in the last decade?

nezumi wrote:Encouraging risky behavior is not good, but it is especially poor in Australia where we have a public health system that would end up funding the cost if something were to happen to these two.

If we were really worried about saving costs in the public health system there would be hundreds of lifestyle choices that we would be banning before these "risky" cycling activities were banned.


Physically injured, no. Mentally scarred after having a cyclist hit their car as a result of an unnecessarily risky maneuver, certainly. There is a reason that driving a train is regarded as a stressful occupation - the number of times "train collided with person" = suicide. Having it happen by a cyclist doing it unintentionally, feeling like you could have done *something* to prevent it, would be traumatic.

There is a difference between a calculated risk under controlled conditions of some form, and an unnecessary risk done for its own sake.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Sun May 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:Came across a MGIF selfish person riding a bicycle tonight.

I pulled into South Terrace heading into Fremantle. The person riding a bicycle was in front of me in the "bicycle lane" so I held back know it was coming to an end and then we would be stopped at the Parry Street lights. The person on the bike did I what thought was good riding and claimed the lane on approach and pulled up behind the two motor vehicles in front, who where also heading north on South Terrace into the cappuccino strip.

So person on bicycle stops at the lights. No worries I thought I will calmly wait behind her, then all of sudden she decides to filter pass the two cars in front on their left. It was a tight fit and I thought what a pointless move, as they will have to pass her again and she was not achieving anything. The she made it worse. She moved in front of us by crossing over the stop line (red light) into the intersection to take primary position now in front of three cars.

When the lights turned green she continued to retain primary delaying myself and the two cars in front. Personally I wasn't bothered (but thought her riding was selfish) as I was turning off but the driver immediately behind was less than impressed as he tried to pass her.

I was not impressed with her riding or attitude as all she achieved was to annoy two drivers; two drivers who did nothing to her and her moving to the front to block them was nothing more than a spiteful act. If anything it might have saved her two or three seconds. Worth it? Not in my world.

To top it off, she did all of this at 7:00 PM tonight without a front or rear light ... yeah real smart.

Andrew


When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby human909 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:15 pm

wellington_street wrote:When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?


There is no clear line and I have no clear answers. Even more vexed is situations where there is a bike lane all the way to the front, a bike box at the front encouraging you to claim the lane and then a narrow lane ahead without a bike lane. It such circumstances the road infrastructure encouraging the push ahead and then claim the lane.

I think as a cyclists if you move to the front and claim the lane, then you really shouldn't be dawdling about accelerating or clipping in. In traffic in the areas where I ride I am travelling at the speed or even faster than the rest of the traffic, so I'm not holding people up. When traffic is light and there are only half a dozen cars then really why bother moving to the front.
human909
 
Posts: 5038
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby duncanm » Sun May 04, 2014 5:17 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Came across a MGIF selfish person riding a bicycle tonight.

I pulled into South Terrace heading into Fremantle. The person riding a bicycle was in front of me in the "bicycle lane" so I held back know it was coming to an end and then we would be stopped at the Parry Street lights. The person on the bike did I what thought was good riding and claimed the lane on approach and pulled up behind the two motor vehicles in front, who where also heading north on South Terrace into the cappuccino strip.

So person on bicycle stops at the lights. No worries I thought I will calmly wait behind her, then all of sudden she decides to filter pass the two cars in front on their left. It was a tight fit and I thought what a pointless move, as they will have to pass her again and she was not achieving anything. The she made it worse. She moved in front of us by crossing over the stop line (red light) into the intersection to take primary position now in front of three cars.

When the lights turned green she continued to retain primary delaying myself and the two cars in front. Personally I wasn't bothered (but thought her riding was selfish) as I was turning off but the driver immediately behind was less than impressed as he tried to pass her.

I was not impressed with her riding or attitude as all she achieved was to annoy two drivers; two drivers who did nothing to her and her moving to the front to block them was nothing more than a spiteful act. If anything it might have saved her two or three seconds. Worth it? Not in my world.

To top it off, she did all of this at 7:00 PM tonight without a front or rear light ... yeah real smart.

Andrew


When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?


there was some discussion recently on this topic in another thread..

Some situations call for filtering -- eg: large line of cars that won't make it through a light sequence, intersections when you're not slowing them down on the exit, etc. .. but its a judgement call, and I don't imagine most motorists who see us pass them in a line of traffic are using the same level of thought when weighing up the options.

I agree with Wellington in the above example -- I would have just hung back behind the two cars.

But I've filtered in situations where there is a huge line of stopped traffic (20+ cars), a short light sequence (5-6 can make it through), and a single lane turning right into a 3-lane road (ie: no way I'm blocking anyone), and some car drivers still get ticked off enough to honk and yell (prompting me to tap on their window in the next jammed line of traffic and ask WT? there problem is).

I've decided many drivers don't like anyone (car, bike, whatever) getting in front of them, whether it affects them or not.
duncanm
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Andy » Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 pm

herzog wrote:Looked like it was a cracking headbutt.

Right you are Grommet!
Interesting that camera dude tried to get to the correct side of the road/path (for USA)
User avatar
Andy
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:22 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby kenwstr » Sun May 04, 2014 6:18 pm

duncanm wrote:
wellington_street wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Came across a MGIF selfish person riding a bicycle tonight.

I pulled into South Terrace heading into Fremantle. The person riding a bicycle was in front of me in the "bicycle lane" so I held back know it was coming to an end and then we would be stopped at the Parry Street lights. The person on the bike did I what thought was good riding and claimed the lane on approach and pulled up behind the two motor vehicles in front, who where also heading north on South Terrace into the cappuccino strip.

So person on bicycle stops at the lights. No worries I thought I will calmly wait behind her, then all of sudden she decides to filter pass the two cars in front on their left. It was a tight fit and I thought what a pointless move, as they will have to pass her again and she was not achieving anything. The she made it worse. She moved in front of us by crossing over the stop line (red light) into the intersection to take primary position now in front of three cars.

When the lights turned green she continued to retain primary delaying myself and the two cars in front. Personally I wasn't bothered (but thought her riding was selfish) as I was turning off but the driver immediately behind was less than impressed as he tried to pass her.

I was not impressed with her riding or attitude as all she achieved was to annoy two drivers; two drivers who did nothing to her and her moving to the front to block them was nothing more than a spiteful act. If anything it might have saved her two or three seconds. Worth it? Not in my world.

To top it off, she did all of this at 7:00 PM tonight without a front or rear light ... yeah real smart.

Andrew


When does filtering down the left and then claiming the lane become OK? I have to do it on my commute in the inner city areas as its unsafe to gutter hug. I tend to agree with your observations above and generally dont bother filtering if its a handful of cars but wheres the line?


there was some discussion recently on this topic in another thread..

Some situations call for filtering -- eg: large line of cars that won't make it through a light sequence, intersections when you're not slowing them down on the exit, etc. .. but its a judgement call, and I don't imagine most motorists who see us pass them in a line of traffic are using the same level of thought when weighing up the options.

I agree with Wellington in the above example -- I would have just hung back behind the two cars.

But I've filtered in situations where there is a huge line of stopped traffic (20+ cars), a short light sequence (5-6 can make it through), and a single lane turning right into a 3-lane road (ie: no way I'm blocking anyone), and some car drivers still get ticked off enough to honk and yell (prompting me to tap on their window in the next jammed line of traffic and ask WT? there problem is).

I've decided many drivers don't like anyone (car, bike, whatever) getting in front of them, whether it affects them or not.



Some people just have to win.

Ken
kenwstr
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Sun May 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Me, tonight. Had to duck around to a mates place, less than two blocks. Grabbed the SS MTB from hanging in the garage, it's got flat pedals. It hasn't been used for a while so a quick squeeze of the tyres and dab of the brakes to check and out I went. Brakes were a bit ordinary, tyres too squishy. I had a black tshirt and dark jeans on. DIY ninja. Man it was dark, I thought the street lights were heaps brighter, they seem a lot brighter when I drive :o only consolation was the tiny blinky on the back.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 am

The flying bicycles moment for this cyclist when he realises there is a bus on the street he was about to enter without looking
Image

The same cyclist demonstrating his emergency braking "skills" - here's a hint, more front brake, less rear
Image

Fortunately all ended well with no collision, although I suspect there are bite marks in his shorts
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Robinho » Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 pm

All idiot cyclists rather than drivers this morning.

1st the guy at the end of the psp going onto Aberdeen st, northbridge. There were about 10 riders waiting at the road and pedestrian lights, plus a Ute, when you decided to go round the Ute and into the busy junction of static traffic whilst faced with a red light. Unfortunately the traffic started moving when you reached the middle causing you to hastily unclip and shuffle into the pedestrian central reservation. I called you a genius. It was ironic.

The 2nd was 2 mins later, at the junction of Milligan and roe st. I was at the lights in the left turn lane. Cars in the right turn lane. 3 cyclists joined me, 2 on my right, who proceeded straight to the shared path and arena bridge when the lights changed. The 3rd guy pulled up on my left, against the kerb. I was turning left onto roe. You decided to try to go straight on against left turning traffic.

The final guy, nearly had his final moment another 2 mins later. I was waiting at the lights on horseshoe bridge to go over Wellington st, up William into the city. Some deathwish riding along Wellington turning left into William up the inside of a turning bendy bus going the same direction. Suicidal.
Robinho
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 am

Driving my car the 15km or so home from work yesterday (please forgive me, for I have sinned :( ) I saw about a dozen cyclists. All but one had good front and rear lights on their bikes which I was very pleased to see. Too many times you see riders with anemic glow worms for lights.

My rating of a "good" rear light is something like a PBSF or better. You can tell a PBSF from the unique flashing pattern.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby nitestick » Tue May 06, 2014 7:49 pm

I guess I'll nominate myself for riding this frankenbike home from work. Slippery unwrapped drops, crappy temporary brake levers until my hoods arrive and to top it off, tribars (wouldn't fit in my backpack) freshly arrived and installed to transport.Image
Image
nitestick
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Bloody bloody stupid mother this morning while riding past Aspley State School on Maundrel Terrace. Mother stepped off the footpath onto the road holding hands with her daughter on her right side and started walking past parked cars ie parked car, mother, daughter, peak hour traffic. Walks past the first parked car. Now the bus heading up the hill starts to slow down to a crawl because there is no room to pass without hitting them or the traffic coming down the hill that's already squeezing past parked cars. Walks the 10-15m gap to the second parked car and continues past. Clears the parked car and continues to walk a similar line for another 15m before slowly adjusting her line to walk towards the gutter. Didn't look behind at all and my money was on them trying to cut across the road. Had to be drug affected as no sane mother would on purpose walk their daughter closest to moving traffic on a road with that high traffic volume between parked cars especially in peak hour having walked off the footpath!
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Wed May 07, 2014 1:18 pm

^AUthorities should bring in mandantory licence to breed before they worry about cycling licences
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby biker jk » Thu May 08, 2014 10:23 am

Moron cyclist was the SUVelo guy in Centennial Park who passed me way to close doing +40kmh and also kept that speed through the pedestrian crossing which warns cyclists to slow and keep to the 30kmh limit. This moron would also have passed the CP ranger doing +40kmh a few hundred metres before he went by me. This was at 8.45am not before 7am when the park is pretty empty.The ACA segment last night showed footage of a SUVelo peloton apparently riding above the 30kmh limit and passing a ranger's vehicle.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Thu May 08, 2014 10:48 am

I commute through CP every day, and I've seen some appalling antics by these SuVelo guys.

Worst I've seen was an SuVelo guy in riding contraflow, at high speed, on the pedestrian path.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1732
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby biker jk » Thu May 08, 2014 11:26 am

herzog wrote:I commute through CP every day, and I've seen some appalling antics by these SuVelo guys.

Worst I've seen was an SuVelo guy in riding contraflow, at high speed, on the pedestrian path.


A little while ago now I had two SUVelo riders pass at speed between me and a moving car. I was on the right hand side of the cycle lane with a slower rider on my left and these two clowns were riding on the road and squeezed between me and the car that was passing me at the time. If you go to the SUVelo website and look up their Committee not one person has provided contact details. So no accountability whatsoever.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 08, 2014 11:31 am

biker jk wrote:
herzog wrote:I commute through CP every day, and I've seen some appalling antics by these SuVelo guys.

Worst I've seen was an SuVelo guy in riding contraflow, at high speed, on the pedestrian path.


A little while ago now I had two SUVelo riders pass at speed between me and a moving car. I was on the right hand side of the cycle lane with a slower rider on my left and these two clowns were riding on the road and squeezed between me and the car that was passing me at the time. If you go to the SUVelo website and look up their Committee not one person has provided contact details. So no accountability whatsoever.


http://suvelo.com.au/ride-suvelo/safe-ride-guide/

We obey all road rules and observe red lights.


:lol:
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby biker jk » Thu May 08, 2014 1:01 pm

wellington_street wrote:
biker jk wrote:
herzog wrote:I commute through CP every day, and I've seen some appalling antics by these SuVelo guys.

Worst I've seen was an SuVelo guy in riding contraflow, at high speed, on the pedestrian path.


A little while ago now I had two SUVelo riders pass at speed between me and a moving car. I was on the right hand side of the cycle lane with a slower rider on my left and these two clowns were riding on the road and squeezed between me and the car that was passing me at the time. If you go to the SUVelo website and look up their Committee not one person has provided contact details. So no accountability whatsoever.


http://suvelo.com.au/ride-suvelo/safe-ride-guide/

We obey all road rules and observe red lights.


:lol:


I was in CP at the time (responding to Herzog's example), not that it should make a difference regarding observing road rules.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Robinho » Thu May 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Dumb cyclist was me on Tuesday evening riding home. It was fully dark and I was just coming down the Mitchell psp past currambine station. As I was an hour into my ride, and just about to leave the path for a busy 2 lane road I thought I'd check my 2 rear lights were still working. As I reached over my shoulder to put my hand back into the beam I turned slightly left off the inside of the path onto the 50cm of compacted road base at about 40kmh. Managed to hang on and slow down enough to pop back up onto the path, but I felt pretty stupid albeit lucky not to have a spectacular stack
Robinho
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby TraceyG » Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 am

In sunny (it's all relative) Brisbane for work this work and have seen many dumb cyclists riding on or after dusk in dark clothing and without any sort of lighting on their bikes.
TraceyG
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ignoto » Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 am

I saw large peloton of MAMIL's around UQ this morning, there was almost a serious incident because apparently none of them knew how to ride in a bunch. Just before getting to the Girl's colleges around UQ, voices within the bunch started screaming "hold, hold" which progressed down the queue of the peloton. Why I've got no idea, but all I saw was the tail end of the bunch move, a clash of bikes and release of air escaping out of tubes at an alarming rate. Thankfully no-one hit the deck, but it was just another large group in Brisbane who flock inexperienced riders together and crash!
Image
Ignoto
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri May 09, 2014 10:29 am

Ignoto wrote:I saw large peloton of MAMIL's around UQ this morning, there was almost a serious incident because apparently none of them knew how to ride in a bunch. Just before getting to the Girl's colleges around UQ, voices within the bunch started screaming "hold, hold" which progressed down the queue of the peloton. Why I've got no idea, but all I saw was the tail end of the bunch move, a clash of bikes and release of air escaping out of tubes at an alarming rate. Thankfully no-one hit the deck, but it was just another large group in Brisbane who flock inexperienced riders together and crash!


haven't you learnt? riverloop + friday = bad news
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Sychen » Fri May 09, 2014 11:35 am

Dumb pedestrian... Bay run rodd point.. Walking with head in the cloud on the Ped side coming towards me.. Me riding on the bike side of the path. As I got to her.. She sudden veered to her left without warning right into my path. Barely enough space to emergency brake and yell out and miss by cm.

Her head still looking up until I yelled. Completely unaware.
Sychen
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: baldy1975, flashpixx, jules21, maestro, minhyy



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit