The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tubby74 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Two in a minute today. On the downhill run on lillyfield road to the city fails to give way to a mum pushing a pram over the pedestrian crossing. Then just after another idiot rides olonh the footpath from a side street and straight over the crossing in front of traffic, very lucky not to be cleaned up.
tubby74

by BNA » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 pm

BNA

Postby Ross » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Commuting home on a shared path this afternoon and I come to a road crossing. There are a number of cars coming in both directions so I stop and wait. No hurry really, just cruising home. Across the road a woman on her bike with about 6 or so primary school age kids on bikes are waiting to come across. A couple of the older more confident kids manage to get across to the centre traffic island. I'm still waiting on my side, even though there's been a few gaps in the traffic where I could of shot across but I'm in no hurry and want to set a good example for the kids plus we aren't all going to fit on the centre traffic island. Then another woman on a bike comes up from behind the other woman with the kids and basically barges past them and crosses in front of them. Technically there was nothing illegal about what the second woman did but it showed a lack of courtesy and respect and IMO set a bad example to the kids and was selfish.
Ross

Postby Rhubarb » Sat May 10, 2014 7:15 am

MM at the start, iPed at the end.

Stayin Alive on Sylvan Rd:

Rhubarb

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue May 13, 2014 6:10 pm

To the pack of cyclists who overtook me on the Koonung Creek Trail in Doncaster at about 5:20pm: if you want to do time trials, get on the bloody road, because a shared path is the wrong setting for it. You were going too fast, failing to give way to oncoming traffic, and cut me off just as I had started veering right to overtake a pedestrian. Nice work, morons.
Cyclophiliac

Postby Scott_C » Tue May 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Myself this evening. Went through a stop sign at relatively high speed (25kph) about 50m in front of a police vehicle. In my defence the cross street traffic was blocked to the right by an active level crossing with boom gates down and stopped to the left to queue at the boom gate with a large gap left for traffic to proceed through.

Fortunately for me the police must have had better things to do as they did not stop me or the cyclist in front of me who went through even faster than I did.
Scott_C

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 13, 2014 10:51 pm

The battery in my front light died about 5km from home tonight, just as I happened to be on an unlit path through bushland. So I had to ninja my way home...
wellington_street

Postby nezumi » Wed May 14, 2014 11:30 am

Oooh, fun!

I had one of these on my bike: Minoura SwingArm

The metal clamp that attached around the stem fractured just as I left the office, so I had to throw it into the backpack and ride home with only a rear flashing light.

Eeep!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi

Postby herzog » Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 pm

herzog

Postby Dragster1 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Rhubarb wrote:MM at the start, iPed at the end.

can you sign the E-petition for sylvan road
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74849
Dragster1

Postby Rhubarb » Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Dragster1 wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:MM at the start, iPed at the end.

can you sign the E-petition for sylvan road
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74849

I was signature number 4 or 7 IIRC.

Very good petition - please support if you can.
Rhubarb

Postby Newcastle Dave » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Not sure if these count as pedestrians, but on my evening commute on the Fernleigh Track I had to undertake emergency avoidance manoeuvres to miss
1) a 6 foot python
2) 2 suicidal possums (200 metres apart)
3) a small green frog (except I am not 100% sure I did avoid the frog) :D
Newcastle Dave

Postby jasonc » Sat May 17, 2014 6:15 am

sooo many problems at the intersection of tank st and george st in Brisbane last night that I lost count (2-3 peds walking on the bike crossing across george st then 2-3 just walking straight across the tank st red pedestrian crossing). I need to fix my airzound
jasonc

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 17, 2014 2:39 pm

herzog wrote:

So, the camera person on Summit Road, Mt Diablo, California parks themselves at a point right where a rider might just depart the road if they misjudge the turn, nearly gets hit once by one, then has it happen again? Wouldn't it be smarter to move somewhere a bit further around the corner to get yourself out of "the line of fire" so to speak?

It looks like that is some sort of race, is it not?
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Sat May 17, 2014 2:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
herzog wrote:

So, the camera person on Summit Road, Mt Diablo, California parks themselves at a point right where a rider might just depart the road if they misjudge the turn, nearly gets hit once by one, then has it happen again? Wouldn't it be smarter to move somewhere a bit further around the corner to get yourself out of "the line of fire" so to speak?

it's the same footage 5 times
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 17, 2014 3:15 pm

g-boaf wrote:
herzog wrote:

He almost took out another rider when he spun his bike around. I wish people would really apply common sense to stopping locations. Its like those people that go to rallies and set up camp on the run off road and wonder why on earth they didn't stop for the corner.
Lukeyboy

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 17, 2014 4:26 pm

In that respect, I'd suggest the person taking the video was silly for stopping where they did.
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby bychosis » Sun May 18, 2014 6:55 pm

This afternoon took a cruise down the foreshore share path. My two 24"-riding sons and me with a kiddie trailer on. Plenty of traffic around, peds, scooters, pets and bikes. A guy on a roadie gave me a "on your right" then passed me. All good. Then the roadie came up behind my 6yo in front who was slowing to ring his bell before overtaking two peds, on the right, as he has been taught. "Thanks for slowing down mate" I think, followed closely by "WT?" As he squeezed between said pedestrians and to the left of my son who I expected to do his normal sharp left turn to get back on the left. Heart skipped a beat or two as my son didn't do his normal keep left manoeuvre and the clearly-hasn't-ridden-around-children-much-rider didn't end up in a heap on the ground, made me want to give him a good "talking to" but no chance I could have caught him with the traffic, the load and the kids around. It's stressful enough trying to keep two budding riders from impacting others without "more important" riders causing headaches too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Marmoset » Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 pm

I nearly got taken off 3 times this morning by cyclists pulling in too early, getting too close when passing me and then overtaking just before a pretty clear bottleneck.

Car drivers give me far more room, the pack mentality was responsible for 2 of them but the guy who was within 6 inches of me on a clear wide road mustn't have seen my 2 rear lights or something?

I think people have got to pay more attention to how fast someone is going, not just look at the bike and assume that someone is slow enough to pull straight in front of. This morning I was on my hardtail mtb but still at 30Km/h, strange that I don't get the problem on the road bike (asides form normally being faster on that!) :roll:
Marmoset

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue May 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Annoying kid cycling on the Rhodes foreshore path got all in my way this afternoon. I was cruising along and he was probably about 50m ahead of me going pretty slow and weaving around a bit when I called out and he looked back and saw me. But instead of keeping to the left like a sensible cyclist he decided to try to race me, weaving back and forth over the width of the path every time he looked back to see if I had caught him yet. When I did catch him he was looking back at me egging me to go so we could have a drag race or something but I couldn't pass as he was all over the middle of the path :S

I mean he wouldn't have been older than 12 or 13 I think and kids aren't really known for being smart but that's not something I would have ever done as a kid...
AndrewBurns

Postby skull » Wed May 21, 2014 5:55 am

g-boaf wrote:In that respect, I'd suggest the person taking the video was silly for stopping where they did.

Pfft, they are off the road.
skull

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 am

Had a self-important twat in freshly pressed suit try to play chicken with me to force me off the bike several metres before a section of "pedestrian only" path behind the supreme court (where I ALWAYS, without fail, stop and let pedestrians through first then unclip and scoot through if empty or dismount and walk if pedestrians come through) yesterday arvo. I don't think he expected me to keep riding and made the smart choice of getting out of my way before his suit got all dirty.

Tosser. If he had politely said something about the pedestrian only signage, given that I was about to stop anyway, I wouldn't have had an issue with just going "yup no worries" and sacrificing all of 10 seconds for the sake of ensuring that there was one less voice whinging about cyclists. But - try to bully me? Nope - thats not going to end well for you champ. I'm far from being a little fella and I'm sure as hell not easily intimidated.
WarbyD

Postby human909 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm

WarbyD wrote:Had a self-important twat in freshly pressed suit try to play chicken with me to force me off the bike several metres before a section of "pedestrian only" path behind the supreme court (where I ALWAYS, without fail, stop and let pedestrians through first then unclip and scoot through if empty or dismount and walk if pedestrians come through) yesterday arvo. I don't think he expected me to keep riding and made the smart choice of getting out of my way before his suit got all dirty.

Tosser. If he had politely said something about the pedestrian only signage, given that I was about to stop anyway, I wouldn't have had an issue with just going "yup no worries" and sacrificing all of 10 seconds for the sake of ensuring that there was one less voice whinging about cyclists. But - try to bully me? Nope - thats not going to end well for you champ. I'm far from being a little fella and I'm sure as hell not easily intimidated.

:?: :?: :?:
I think you need to be more descriptive and elaborate. Otherwise it certainly sounds the guy in the suit was not the bully in the incident.
human909

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 pm

ok - deliberately leaving the path he was walking along to walk directly at me (travelling at walking pace) with a smug smile on his face. When I had already moved across to ensure I didn't impede pedestrians who had been walking ahead of him (none of whom showed any sign of being bothered by my actions).

I have no issue at all with not being allowed to cycle through the section in question (hence my usual behaviour as noted), but I wasn't yet at that point.
WarbyD

Postby zero » Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Marmoset wrote:I nearly got taken off 3 times this morning by cyclists pulling in too early, getting too close when passing me and then overtaking just before a pretty clear bottleneck.

Car drivers give me far more room, the pack mentality was responsible for 2 of them but the guy who was within 6 inches of me on a clear wide road mustn't have seen my 2 rear lights or something?

I think people have got to pay more attention to how fast someone is going, not just look at the bike and assume that someone is slow enough to pull straight in front of. This morning I was on my hardtail mtb but still at 30Km/h, strange that I don't get the problem on the road bike (asides form normally being faster on that!) :roll:

The wider your line, the less closely other riders pass to be honest, and if you don't want to be boxed in at a chokepoint, take up a wide unblocked line early. That also works same with riders and drivers. Its amazing how much stupidity clear possession of the middle of a through lane prevents.
zero

Postby snortin » Wed May 21, 2014 1:36 pm

human909 wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Had a self-important twat in freshly pressed suit try to play chicken with me to force me off the bike several metres before a section of "pedestrian only" path behind the supreme court (where I ALWAYS, without fail, stop and let pedestrians through first then unclip and scoot through if empty or dismount and walk if pedestrians come through) yesterday arvo. I don't think he expected me to keep riding and made the smart choice of getting out of my way before his suit got all dirty.

:?: :?: :?:
I think you need to be more descriptive and elaborate. Otherwise it certainly sounds the guy in the suit was not the bully in the incident.

I read it as he was approaching the end of a shared path, and a ped deliberately went out of their way to obstruct. I see this happening more often, and my personal view is that it is being done as "retribution" for observed "slights" by cyclists. I don't really want to get into a discussion about why it may occur, just making an observation.

Note that I have had similar experiences, a particularly amusing one last week after Anzac Bridge, heading west bound, as I slowed to give way to a lady passing a slower ped. We were all travelling in the same direction. I slowed and waited for her to pass the other person, and called "passing on your right" when I was going to go past her. This was said with courtesy, and I had just waited for her to pass a pedestrian and not decided to push past (there probably was enough room if I had wanted to). She already knew I was behind her, and she told me that "you have to give way" as she stayed to the right for longer than required. I laughed and said I had, and that me saying passing on your right was a courtesy to let her know that I was there and about to pass. When she told me that I hadn't and that I needed to slow down I asked her if it was too hard to share the path, told her to have a nice day and thanked her for all her help.

You just can't win with some people even when you try your best to do the right thing.
snortin

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion