The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby DavidS » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah, it is a 30 zone but I have no problems doing maybe 35.

The tram, stops are problematic since hardly anyone seems to know what they are - basically a road, tram stop and no safety zone.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

by BNA » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:17 am

BNA

Postby Percrime » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:17 am

i find you cn tell where they are by the stopped trams :)
Percrime

Postby duncan16v » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:07 am

Percrime wrote:i find you cn tell where they are by the stopped trams :)

...and the big concrete barriers and lines on the road and people hanging around under the shelters and the signs saying "tram stop" are a bit of a hint. :D
duncan16v

Postby Percrime » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Mmm. But I,m pretty advanced at this skilled driving thing. I drove a BMW the other week and found the indicators. And I can often change into the other lane before coming close to a cyclist. I even find my neck works and I can turn my head to look at things
Percrime

Postby herzog » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:55 pm

This one from Soviet Union

http://youtu.be/gp6B6ZAu-3M

Skip to the 2 min 10 s mark
herzog

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Minor one, pedestrian steps out without looking, then as i think he'll keep going and i can pass him on the left he decides to look right and stops.
Bah77

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:31 pm

herzog wrote:This one from Soviet Union

http://youtu.be/gp6B6ZAu-3M

Skip to the 2 min 10 s mark

Removed by user :(
Biffidus

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Ill give you a hint. Its got to do with a wheelie, the rider's face and the pavement. :?
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm

From today's NSW Police Update:-

Some incidents that occurred during day two of the operation included:

- At 7.30am yesterday (Saturday 7 June 2014), a 55-year-old man was riding a bicycle with a group of cyclists on Syd Einfeld Drive, Bondi Junction, when he allegedly disobeyed a red traffic light, leaving the group who all stopped. Police stopped the man, who allegedly provided false information. He was issued a Field Court Attendance notice for supply false name and home address, disobey red light, and ride bicycle without a warning device. The man will appear at Waverley Local Court on Wednesday 16 July 2014.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:39 pm

queequeg wrote:From today's NSW Police Update:-

- At 7.30am yesterday (Saturday 7 June 2014), a 55-year-old man was riding a bicycle with a group of cyclists on Syd Einfeld Drive, Bondi Junction, when he allegedly disobeyed a red traffic light, leaving the group who all stopped. Police stopped the man, who allegedly provided false information. He was issued a Field Court Attendance notice for supply false name and home address, disobey red light, and ride bicycle without a warning device. The man will appear at Waverley Local Court on Wednesday 16 July 2014.

hmmm. supplying false details will cost you a lot more than a red light fine
jasonc

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
queequeg wrote:From today's NSW Police Update:-

hmmm. supplying false details will cost you a lot more than a red light fine

....and then they pinged him for no bell, probably because he was being a jerk :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby herzog » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Sounds like he dug a hole for himself and kept digging.
herzog

Postby human909 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Pssst.... You didn't hear it from me. But if you are caught for a traffic infringement and don't give them your license then some cops find it all too difficult and let you off with a warning. :lol:

(And you have no obligation to show them your license not matter how firmly they insist. :mrgreen: )

However giving false details to a policemen is pretty serious. So doing that is just silly.
human909

Postby Percrime » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 pm

And they can arrest you until you prove who you are. Heh.. ok require you to attend them at a police station and place you in restraints to secure their own safety... if you annoy them enough.

Its 'like' arrest but not quite.
Percrime

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:01 pm

herzog wrote:Sounds like he dug a hole for himself and kept digging.

He should have just paid the $67 and then they wouldn't have even noticed the missing bell.
queequeg

Postby Jangari » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:50 am

I'm visiting Melbourne at the moment, used to live and cycle here but don't have a bike with me.

Anyway, I'm on Lygon St at Victoria St in Brunswick East, waiting to cross Lygon, early evening, visibility no issue. The Lygon lights go red and the crosswalk pedestrian lights go green. I start to move one foot out onto the crossing and look to my right to see if anyone's going to run the red (regular, fairly light traffic), and a hipster on a 30 year old ten speed is cruising towards the crossing, coasting at maybe 10 kph. Lots of rust, suicide brakes, no helmet, no lights, crusty jeans. I make eye contact with him while my foot is still in the air, just waiting to see if he's going to stop, or just cruise right past me (he's also hugging the curb). He sees me and decides that it would be a good idea to stop, and - I kid you not - drops his feet to the road to make a feeble attempt at braking. This slows him down at a rate of maybe 1km/h/s, so of course he goes straight over the pedestrian crossing at maybe 5 kph, into the intersection where there are cars going both directions along Victoria St, and swerves into Victoria St to avoid them.

He eventually comes to a stop in the other pedestrian crossing section (the one across Victoria st), and I continue across Lygon, shaking my head in despair at the stupidity.
Jangari

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 am

Percrime wrote:And they can arrest you until you prove who you are. Heh.. ok require you to attend them at a police station and place you in restraints to secure their own safety... if you annoy them enough.

If you supply a legit name and address and offer alternative ID then you are covered for this unlikely BS.
human909

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 pm

human909 wrote:
Percrime wrote:And they can arrest you until you prove who you are. Heh.. ok require you to attend them at a police station and place you in restraints to secure their own safety... if you annoy them enough.

If you supply a legit name and address and offer alternative ID then you are covered for this unlikely BS.

It does bed the ideation how the police knew it was false:-

a) the name and address were stupid
b) the police stopped his mates when they caught up and asked them who he was, which of course didn't match
c) he was just being a total jerk and they took him to the station and held him until suitable ID was produced
d) he had suitable ID on him, which police found after he had given false particulars.

but seriously, it is a $67 fine and no loss of points for running a red light on a bicycle in NSW, and the same for no bell. providing false details is nasty though. moron!
queequeg

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm

queequeg wrote:
human909 wrote:

b) the police stopped his mates when they caught up and asked them who he was, which of course didn't match
c) he was just being a total jerk and they took him to the station and held him until suitable ID was produced
d) he had suitable ID on him, which police found after he had given false particulars.

but seriously, it is a $67 fine and no loss of points for running a red light on a bicycle in NSW, and the same for no bell. providing false details is nasty though. moron!

A person that I had known had given another friends id after being booked for speeding not knowing that the police had recorded his submission. The other friend got a notification in the mail to pay a fine of which he knew nothing about so he went to the police station to ask what it was all about.

When he arrived at the police station they replied by showing him the submission they had on tape, my friend quickly recognised the voice and they got a full description from the original police officer and laid chargers. :wink: This all happened about twenty years ago.
Dragster1

Postby Percrime » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:01 pm

human909 wrote:

Of course.
Just don;t kid yourself the cops cannot escalate the whole thing if they are adequately annoyed. And of course they worry about how their sergeant will view it all. Unless they are really annoyed.
Percrime

Postby Red Rider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Bah77 wrote:Minor one, pedestrian steps out without looking, then as i think he'll keep going and i can pass him on the left he decides to look right and stops.

Always makes the heart skip a beat!
Red Rider

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 pm

queequeg wrote:
human909 wrote:

Just ask Marcus Einfeld whether he thinks making a false declaration is worth it for an otherwise minor traffic offence
find_bruce

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:01 am

find_bruce wrote:Just ask Marcus Einfeld whether he thinks making a false declaration is worth it for an otherwise minor traffic offence

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 am

find_bruce wrote:
queequeg wrote:
human909 wrote:[quote="Percrime"]And they can arrest you until you prove who you are. Heh.. ok require you to attend them at a police station and place you in restraints to secure their own safety... if you annoy them enough.

Just ask Marcus Einfeld whether he thinks making a false declaration is worth it for an otherwise minor traffic offence[/quote]

Well, yes, I should add an extra clause: if you are going to nominate someone else as the offender, make sure they are actually alive.
queequeg

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 am

Dumb cyclist in School Rd, Trafalgar this morning - pre-dawn in dark clothes, no helmet and speeding along the footpath in heavy fog!
TraceyG

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion