The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks. Will check those programs out.

To the lady pedestrian who decided to cross the tram tracks and road between cars and was about to step out blindly into the bike lane without looking if I hadn't yelled 'Stop!' at you - please use your brain next time you cross the road and don't switch your brain off until you're in bed asleep (or at work. :P).
Summernight

by BNA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

BNA

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

Summernight wrote:To the lady pedestrian who decided to cross the tram tracks and road between cars and was about to step out blindly into the bike lane without looking if I hadn't yelled 'Stop!' at you - please use your brain next time you cross the road and don't switch your brain off until you're in bed asleep (or at work. :P).

this happens to me eve.ry.night along Bourke St. i just pull up for them, then try and guess the facial expression when they realise they've stepped in front of me. about half the time they remain oblivious.
jules21

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:38 am

We had on this morning at the pedestrian crossing outside of Cornetts on Bribie. They just walked straight out without looking and then had the audacity to yell at us, you're supposed too stop at the crossing and I just yelled back, yeah but you're supposed too look first before stepping out! :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm

To the jogger that was jogging down the road at 5.30am in the pitch black going same way as traffic and without lights, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before your deathwish comes true.

To the other jogger I saw earler doing the same thing, at least you did have a blinky light though a white light rather than red would be less confusing for oncoming traffic.

I might go out and buy a stack of cheapo red and white blinky lights and offer to sell them to early morning joggers and dog walkers, I'd be sure to make a fortune. :roll:
Ross

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:47 pm

28kmh but there comes a point where you don't have enough room and by watching them, we had time to veer to the right when the dipchits just walked straight out! :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby roller » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:39 pm

foo on patrol wrote:28kmh but there comes a point where you don't have enough room and by watching them, we had time to veer to the right when the dipchits just walked straight out! :roll:

Foo

Bet they wouldn't have done it if you were a car.
inflammatory statement or idea
roller

Postby outnabike » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:16 pm

foo on patrol wrote:28kmh but there comes a point where you don't have enough room and by watching them, we had time to veer to the right when the dipchits just walked straight out! :roll:

Foo

Damn fools, they oughta use a crossing.......ahhh hang on......... :) Your kidding, right, foo....... ?
outnabike

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:07 am

You don't have right of way on pedestrian crossings, you are to stop, look and wait for it to be clear before using it, not walk straight out without looking and hope that whatever is coming has enough time to stop! :roll: Even on light operated ones, you should be looking before stepping out, but I guess that is to much to comprehend for some people. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby herzog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 am

foo on patrol wrote:You don't have right of way on pedestrian crossings, you are to stop, look and wait for it to be clear before using it, not walk straight out without looking and hope that whatever is coming has enough time to stop! :roll: Even on light operated ones, you should be looking before stepping out, but I guess that is to much to comprehend for some people. :lol:

Hey vehicles before people right?!

In seriousness though, sounds like you're trying to rationalise a bit Foo.

As a "vehicle" you're supposed to stop for pedestrians on the crossing OR about to cross. You must travel at a speed such that you can stop if a pedestrian commences crossing. It is for this reason that crossings are preceded by lengthy "no stopping" zones, to open up the sight lines. This means that the motorist (or cyclist in your case) can't play the SMIDSY card.
herzog

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:35 am

Foo on patrol, I think you need to learn your road rules.
human909

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:50 am

Scroll down to the pedestrian crossing rule! Stand and wait for the traffic to stop, not walk straight out and hope it stops.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Travel-and-tr ... guide.aspx

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby herzog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:19 am

herzog

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:26 am

foo on patrol wrote:Scroll down to the pedestrian crossing rule! Stand and wait for the traffic to stop, not walk straight out and hope it stops.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Travel-and-tr ... guide.aspx

Foo

Sigh. Foo you've been around here long enough to know they are not road rules.

If you read the actual road rules then it says nothing of the sort. Though the road rules do quite clearly spell out your obligation to give way to pedestrians and to approach crossings at a speed which will allow you to safely stop to do so.

Read the actual road rules. Not other substitutes.
https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGI ... RURR09.pdf
human909

Postby outnabike » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:29 am

This is from your link Foo
You gave some pretty broad statements and some of the statements are suggestions. The rules themselves are similar to Vic.You say peds don't have right of way, but here it is saying give way to pedestrians. My judgement call is to be wary of any pedestrian near a crossing.The unwariness of the person getting run over comes second to vehicles right to skittle them.
I am not saying that folks shouldn't be wary of cars at crossings, as the wits of an individual are their first line of defence. What most are saying is that in the event of an injury to someone on a crossing in particular, how does your defence stand up in court. :)

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGI ... RURR09.pdf

[s 81]
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road Rules) Regulation 2009
Part 7 Giving way
Page 92 Current as at 21 May 2014
81 Giving way at a pedestrian crossing
(1) A driver approaching a pedest
rian crossing must drive at a
speed at which the driver can,
if necessary, stop safely before
the crossing.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) A driver must give way to
any pedestrian on a pedestrian
crossing.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(3) A
pedestrian crossing
is an area of a road—
(a) at a place with white stripes on the road surface that—
(i) run lengthwise along the road; and
(ii) are of approximately the same length; and
(iii) are approximately para
llel to each other; and
(iv) are in a row that extends completely, or partly,
across the road; and
(b) with or without either or both of the following—
(i) a pedestrian crossing sign;
(ii) alternating flashing twin yellow lights
outnabike

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:22 pm

So I can just walk straight out on to the pedestrian crossing without looking and the vehicle coming towards the crossing, even though it is only 3mtrs off it will wear the brunt of the law? Yeah right! :roll:

The pedestrian still has to stop and look before stepping out, not walk straight out. You can all walk straight out at any time but for me, I'll stop, look and wait for the traffic thanks. The law is not that cut and dry. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:50 pm

my suburb is divided by a four lane road that has only two pedestrian crossings spaced about 2km apart, which are essentially at either end.
Pedestrians therefore must take their chances and either run across four lanes of traffic (there is no median strip), or use the large roundabout as a refuge island.
As a motorist you need to be prepared for the obvious, but how such a road could be built with no crossing for people is a mystery.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:56 pm

queequeg wrote:my suburb is divided by a four lane road that has only two pedestrian crossings spaced about 2km apart, which are essentially at either end.
Pedestrians therefore must take their chances and either run across four lanes of traffic (there is no median strip), or use the large roundabout as a refuge island.
As a motorist you need to be prepared for the obvious, but how such a road could be built with no crossing for people is a mystery.

Look at Gympie Road and the bus stop locations in Brisbane. 6 lanes of traffic, one of the major and key arterial road into brisbane, 70-60kph speed limit, crossings 500m minimum away from the stops prior and after.....
Lukeyboy

Postby am50em » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:42 pm

foo on patrol wrote:So I can just walk straight out on to the pedestrian crossing without looking and the vehicle coming towards the crossing, even though it is only 3mtrs off it will wear the brunt of the law? Yeah right! :roll:
Foo

I would say yes. Given the crossing is marked, you (vehicle) should be prepared for pedestrians and be prepared to stop. Unless you can prove pedestrian ran out from behind some cover,I doubt you would have a leg to stand on if you hit them.
am50em

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:28 pm

foo on patrol wrote:So I can just walk straight out on to the pedestrian crossing without looking and the vehicle coming towards the crossing, even though it is only 3mtrs off it will wear the brunt of the law? Yeah right! :roll:

Yes. The driver/rider should be moving slowly and have already observed a pedestrian at the crossing. If a vehicle hits a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing the fault is clearly theirs.

foo on patrol wrote:The pedestrian still has to stop and look before stepping out, not walk straight out.

That requirement does not exist. Continually insisting it does not change the road rules.

foo on patrol wrote:The law is not that cut and dry. :wink:

It quite clearly is. Drivers and riders need to give way to pedestrians on the crossing.

Foo. Your refusal to understand or accept a basic road rule is a little childish. For the sake of you fellow road users take a moment and recognise that you were in the wrong.
human909

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm

human909 wrote:

Yes. The driver/rider should be moving slowly and have already observed a pedestrian at the crossing. If a vehicle hits a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing the fault is clearly theirs.

foo on patrol wrote:The pedestrian still has to stop and look before stepping out, not walk straight out.

That requirement does not exist. Continually insisting it does not change the road rules.

foo on patrol wrote:The law is not that cut and dry. :wink:

It quite clearly is. Drivers and riders need to give way to pedestrians on the crossing.

Foo. Your refusal to understand or accept a basic road rule is a little childish. For the sake of you fellow road users take a moment and recognise that you were in the wrong.

I would just say that because something is the law, doesn't mean that it absolves a pedestrian from responsibility to use caution and common sense. That's not a legal responsibility, it's a personal responsibility of the pedestrian that might just keep them alive.

Pedestrians should always look left and right before going across a pedestrian crossing as a matter for their safety - A pedestrian MUST not just rush out without looking, it's very dangerous and very risky behaviour. Just because some law says something doesn't make it right to behave dangerously.

I know you've used weasel words above, so you'll claim "I didn't say that", but in any case, common sense suggests that pedestrians should not cross a road without looking and cars or anyone else on the road approaching the crossing should approach with caution.

If it's the law though, then I'll suggest that you try for a week going across all pedestrian crossings without looking - because it would be the fault of the car driver or road user if they hit you - and see how long you last before ending up in hospital or more likely, dead.
g-boaf

Postby fishguy23 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Id rather look left and right. Check that the cars have stopped before crossing than get hit by a car because i didnt look. Regardless that the driver is at fault if you end up dead because you thought it wasnt my responsibility to look, the driver has to stop... well thats darwinism
fishguy23

Postby RedlandSteve » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:49 pm

It's a rule that drivers need to give way to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings.

It's also a rule that a pedestrian must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver.

Safety at crossings is a shared responsibility for the sake of common sense.
RedlandSteve

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:I know you've used weasel words above, so you'll claim "I didn't say that", but in any case, common sense suggests that pedestrians should not cross a road without looking and cars or anyone else on the road approaching the crossing should approach with caution.

What weasel words? We are talking about the law here and who needs to give way to whom.

g-boaf wrote:If it's the law though, then I'll suggest that you try for a week going across all pedestrian crossings without looking - because it would be the fault of the car driver or road user if they hit you - and see how long you last before ending up in hospital or more likely, dead.

Why would I do that? Just because something is law doesn't mean I shouldn't take actions to ensure my own safety.
human909

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Won't someone think of the kids? :lol:

But in all seriousness - as some people have already said, the Road Rules require vehicles approaching a pedestrian crossing to be able to stop in time if a pedestrian steps onto the crossing.

It all comes back to awareness of your surroundings. Ped crossing coming up? Look onto the footpath, near the footpath and beyond to see whether anyone is approaching the crossing. If yes, slow down ready to stop safely for them. If no, still make sure you are going a suitable speed to be able to stop just in case.

The pedestrian is the more vulnerable road user. The rules give them right of way on a pedestrian crossing. IMO, the rules make it fairly clear: Be able to give way to pedestrians crossing a pedestrian crossing. That is irrespective of the pedestrian's self preservation gene (or lack thereof).
Summernight

Postby outnabike » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Pedestrians are only walking cyclists after all........ :)
outnabike

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion