The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby malnar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:19 am

Male, on a BMX type bike sitting backwards. Saw him riding down the railway overpass on Somerville Rd Yarraville (Melb). He was looking over his shoulder to see ahead & made a sharp left turn at the bottom of the overpass. Awesome skill.
10 min later I saw him again still riding backwards in front of the cafes, seeking to be seen I presume.
malnar

by BNA » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:21 am

BNA

Postby WarbyD » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:21 am

"look at me! look at me!"
WarbyD

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:17 pm

From the morning commute.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby wellington_street » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:01 pm

Aww jeez!
wellington_street

Postby human909 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:46 pm

ironhanglider wrote:From the morning commute.

That guy was silly.

However it really needs to be realised that a big reason why we get such silly acts is because our infrastructure treats cyclists so poorly. Is it any wonder that cyclists ignore signals and cross on their own determination when you have exceedingly long wait times at intersections, lack of cycle crossings and demand only light timing?
human909

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 am

No, the reason is people lack patience - both drivers and riders alike.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:12 am

Following an "older gent" looking very much like a serious cyclist all kitted out in matching pro team apparel, expensive looking carbon bike, etc etc for a bit on the PSP this morning. All well and good, except he cut onto the wrong side of several blind corners (both sides of the Bullcreek and Murdoch train stations.. those who know it will know that these are BAD spots to be on the wrong side of the path..) and where the PSP exits onto a road he also went onto the wrong side of the path at the exit where he again would have been blind to anyone entering and anyone entering would have been blind to him (lots of greenery right up to the path).

There was nothing gained in any of his stupidity.. just risk.
WarbyD

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:11 am

Amazes me how often people do this. One of the commuting routes I use has a short section of shared path - it's twisty, narrow, with a rock wall on one side and a fence on the other. The rock wall makes it impossible to see anyone coming the other way until the last minute. I normally go through there slowly, but still was very nearly cleaned up by an experienced looking cyclist who came barrelling through, at speed, and completely on the wrong side of the path...
rdp_au

Postby Cinder » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Some of the stuff i've been seeing people on bikes doing recently has made me realise why some motorists really hate cyclists....

Cyclists like me get tarred with the same brush.

:(
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Postby Robinho » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:13 pm

rdp_au wrote:Amazes me how often people do this. One of the commuting routes I use has a short section of shared path - it's twisty, narrow, with a rock wall on one side and a fence on the other. The rock wall makes it impossible to see anyone coming the other way until the last minute. I normally go through there slowly, but still was very nearly cleaned up by an experienced looking cyclist who came barrelling through, at speed, and completely on the wrong side of the path...
by Warwick station?
Robinho

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Cinder wrote:Some of the s*** i've been seeing people on bikes doing recently has made me realise why some motorists really hate cyclists....

Cyclists like me get tarred with the same brush.

:(

+1

The Ninjas are some of the worst, usually in dark clothing. Not just young people either. Passed an older (40s or maybe even 50s age) guy wobbling around sans lights on the shared path on my commute home last night. Lucky I wasn't going fast and managed to make him out and avoid crashing into him. FFS, you can buy cheap and nasty lights from eBay or even Reject Shop or Woollies for under $10, no excuses.
Ross

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:25 pm

$2 each for blinkies at Kmart at the mo.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:48 pm

http://goo.gl/maps/JmlR0
A moron cyclist on this section of the path that runs along the river, while running on the left of the path coming up to a blind corner with signs everywhere saying keep left, lines painted etc, i stay left only to meet a cyclist who thinks that cutting the corner she cant see around would be a good idea, lucky she skidded to a stop in time. (if it was another cyclist coming around that corner they probably would have collided)
Bah77

Postby Percrime » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:06 am

Ross wrote:The Ninjas are some of the worst, usually in dark clothing. Not just young people either. Passed an older (40s or maybe even 50s age) guy wobbling around sans lights on the shared path on my commute home last night. Lucky I wasn't going fast and managed to make him out and avoid crashing into him. FFS, you can buy cheap and nasty lights from eBay or even Reject Shop or Woollies for under $10, no excuses.

Ya tell em?
I say.. "mate your lights broke" Usually you get an embarrassed acknowledgement And then you can say " the front one too"
Percrime

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:18 am

Percrime wrote:Ya tell em?
I say.. "mate your lights broke" Usually you get an embarrassed acknowledgement And then you can say " the front one too"

tried that. i usually get a life threatening rebuttal.

i now just go by and say "no light, no brains"

I go near the legacy way tunnel works (in brissy) and there's a lot of tradies who are riding from the toowong commuter car park to the construction site. my comments appear to have worked as MOST of them now have lights
jasonc

Postby dmwill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Had a 20-something guy collide with my driver side door this afternoon, pretty sure his hand went through my open window.

Waiting up the front of some traffic lights down in Fremantle, sitting in the left lane (left goes straight, centre and right lanes are right turn only).

I always make a quick glance to either side when a light goes green, but my vision was obscured by 2 4WDs in the right turning lanes. I rolled about 1.5m forward, saw the guy in the corner of my eye, Bang.

Pretty obvious the guy saw the flashing red pedestrian light on approach and sped up in a bid to beat it. Lucky he wasn't a fraction of a second later, or one of the 4WDs would have taken him head on.

The guy was pretty shaken, but got away pretty quickly before I even had a chance to suggest we pull up ahead to be sure he was alright.

Mixed feelings. It scared the hell out of me. Feel sorry for the guy because he is probably still shaking, thankfully he is uninjured. On the other hand, I'm a bit angry because he was in a hurry to get away, leaving me to find the scratches all over my door.
dmwill

Postby wellington_street » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Tydeman Rd? Cyclist obviously has a death wish
wellington_street

Postby dmwill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Yup. Port Beach/Tydeman intersection - heading north.
dmwill

Postby wellington_street » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Unfortunately those are the exact incidents that fuel the arguments for registering bicycles - he pissed off after damaging your vehicle with no real way of tracking him down. superfantastic thing to happen :(
wellington_street

Postby dmwill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Yeah, my guess is he was in a hurry to get away to avoid any confrontation. He was lucky to run into me and not someone else. I doubt he even realised how chilled I was about it.
Scratches polished out....just. Not a fan of using aggressive cutting compounds on delicate 20-year old paint.
dmwill

Postby Mozz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:49 am

Brisbane ... 0640hrs... Albert Street, cnr Mary Street, I was travelling west on Albert st at approx 15kph - ready to turn left into Mary ... light was a bit gloomy but I have pretty bright front light and wearing brand new bright fluro full jumper....ped steps out in front of me ... I brake, swerve and avoid incident.. pedestrian had coffee in right hand and large approx 10" iDevice displaying what looked to be a movie which she was watching, in tucked into her left side, with both headphones in, while attempting to walk and negotiate footpaths and roadways...
Mozz

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:52 am

Mozz wrote:pedestrian had coffee in right hand and large approx 10" iDevice displaying what looked to be a movie which she was watching, in tucked into her left side, with both headphones in, while attempting to walk and negotiate footpaths and roadways...

that's an airzound moment if i ever heard of one.
jasonc

Postby maestro » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 am

jasonc wrote:that's an airzound moment if i ever heard of one.

Except that it sounded as if it was so close that the choice was to either avoid the collision, *or* sound a warning, but not both.

They're lucky that you didn't clip them, as they would have probably dropped and smashed their expensive 10 inch iDevice! (that would learn 'em!)
maestro

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 am

Mozz wrote:Brisbane ... 0640hrs... Albert Street, cnr Mary Street, I was travelling west on Albert st at approx 15kph - ready to turn left into Mary ... light was a bit gloomy but I have pretty bright front light and wearing brand new bright fluro full jumper....ped steps out in front of me ... I brake, swerve and avoid incident.. pedestrian had coffee in right hand and large approx 10" iDevice displaying what looked to be a movie which she was watching, in tucked into her left side, with both headphones in, while attempting to walk and negotiate footpaths and roadways...

She was lucky it wasn't in the Sydney CBD because a bus would have likely killed her.
biker jk

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:38 am

Silly Cyclist this morning - Perth about 7am-ish

Had just turned left onto Market st behind harbourtown, looking at the PSP to see if it was clear for me to join

Noticed a roadie coming down at speed, then without indicating, comes off at the entry/exit (behind harbour town) onto the road where im riding without a headcheck, he didnt notice me until he was on the road.

There was a probably a few meteres between us but had i been a car he be on the bonnet.

And yes i had a front light on
jaseyjase

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion