The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:39 am

Boognoss wrote::roll: another red light runner. I'm seeing more of these both on bikes and in motor vehicles.......

Hmm, Herbert Street St Leonards opposite SBS cafe. He probably thought seeing it was a T junction (excluding the building entrance) that it'd be more acceptable.
g-boaf

by BNA » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:12 pm

BNA

Postby westab » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Boognoss wrote::roll: another red light runner. I'm seeing more of these both on bikes and in motor vehicles.......

I hear you mate - I am seeing it more too. Sunnyholt road I see usually one car run each red light, then cyclists on the shared path not wait and some not look either.

Had one cyclist stop next to me last week in the morning at the corner of Sunnyholt road and Vardys road and complain about getting booked for riding on the T-Way (it is a bus only lane and has a sign for peds, un-authorized cars and bikes to stay off at each side street). He said he didn't know but he had just been riding on it again. I very politely asked why he was doing so now again - he said the road had too many cars and the traffic was slow - and the shared path you had to wait too long for the lights (very true).

After my comment about you are still doing it - so please don't complain if you get booked again; he proceeded to ride on the shared path we rode together till the next intersection when he saw me brake ; he asked why - my answer the light is red. Straight through he went, no slowing down, just trusting that it was OK. Saw him again yesterday - still riding on the T-Way; nothing learned.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Waiting at the ped crossing I see a bike riding on the outside of the waiting cars at the red lights on the cnr of William & Hay st's. Traffic light is red and rider goes straight across. He was lucky there were cops in the mall at the entrance dealing with another issue.
Walking down King St and I see another rider heading DOWN king st the wrong way playing with his iphone mounted on his stem :roll:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Those ninjas are getting good!

Lukeyboy

Postby Bah77 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Sitting at a red light on a two lane road about to turn green, when a cyclist comes from the right of the T through a very orange (probably red) light, into the right hand lane, without slowing much gets the green at the lights about 10 meters ahead (interesection has two sets of lights) where he cuts in front of the cars starting off to move to the left lane.

So traffic moves around him (no problem with that obviously being a cyclist myself), then two intersections later sitting in the right lane at a red light about to turn green, the same cyclist catches up and splits between the left and right lane just as the cars at the front start moving :roll: .
Bah77

Postby myforwik » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm

ironhanglider wrote:

From the morning commute.

Cheers,

Cameron

This is interesting because... in most states a cylist is not required to use a ped crossing, and if he is inline with the nature strip / road related area of the main road - the turning cars have to give way to him making his way across a joining road, just like you have to give way to pedestrains when you are turning and they are going straight.
myforwik

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Tuesday night heading out of the city, corner of Beaufort and Roe (again). I was waiting to cross Beaufort at the cycle crossing and the cycle cross light was red. Cars were turning right from Roe onto Beaufort with a green turn arrow. Arrow turns red... pause... moron cyclist decides to jump the red cycle cross light (without looking) at the same time a car driver decides to run the red arrow (without looking). They met in the middle and both came very close to colliding. Morons. It's really not that hard to stop at a red light.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:29 am

i came to a hard stop last night, approaching another cyclist on an unlit shared path i was blinded a little by the glare of his twin lights, when i noticed 2 elderly ladies walking ahead of me, dressed in dark clothing.

honestly - what are they thinking? i politely (very politely) suggested more visible clothing may be appropriate. i got no response - they may not have spoken english or just were worried about me being hostile towards them (no risk).

this morning i passed a guy decked out in full - and i mean full - US Postal gear. he either has a wonderful sense of humour, or has been living under a rock.
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:57 am

jules21 wrote:i came to a hard stop last night, approaching another cyclist on an unlit shared path i was blinded a little by the glare of his twin lights, when i noticed 2 elderly ladies walking ahead of me, dressed in dark clothing.

honestly - what are they thinking? i politely (very politely) suggested more visible clothing may be appropriate. i got no response - they may not have spoken english or just were worried about me being hostile towards them (no risk).

this morning i passed a guy decked out in full - and i mean full - US Postal gear. he either has a wonderful sense of humour, or has been living under a rock.

Would you prefer the cyclist be decked out in full US Postal Service gear or the cyclist be decked out in a car behaving aggressively towards you and screaming out at you to get off the road?
g-boaf

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:58 am

g-boaf wrote:
jules21 wrote:i came to a hard stop last night, approaching another cyclist on an unlit shared path i was blinded a little by the glare of his twin lights, when i noticed 2 elderly ladies walking ahead of me, dressed in dark clothing.

Would you prefer the cyclist be decked out in full US Postal Service gear or the cyclist be decked out in a car behaving aggressively towards you and screaming out at you to get off the road?

Plus surely that kit is going very very cheaply these days :mrgreen: .
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:24 am

g-boaf wrote:Would you prefer the cyclist be decked out in full US Postal Service gear or the cyclist be decked out in a car behaving aggressively towards you and screaming out at you to get off the road?

i love the fact he was in US Postal gear! we need more characters in this world! i won't hear any criticism of him at all :mrgreen:
jules21

Postby westab » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:30 am

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Would you prefer the cyclist be decked out in full US Postal Service gear or the cyclist be decked out in a car behaving aggressively towards you and screaming out at you to get off the road?

i love the fact he was in US Postal gear! we need more characters in this world! i won't hear any criticism of him at all :mrgreen:

Mate are you sure he wasn't from the Essendon AFL club - maybe he is the new conditioning coach :shock: :lol: :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:32 am

westab wrote:Mate are you sure he wasn't from the Essendon AFL club - maybe he is the new conditioning coach :shock: :lol: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

he kinda looked a bit like hirdy ;)
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:06 am

jules21 wrote:
westab wrote:Mate are you sure he wasn't from the Essendon AFL club - maybe he is the new conditioning coach :shock: :lol: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

he kinda looked a bit like hirdy ;)

Haha! :lol:
g-boaf

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:32 pm

myforwik wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:

From the morning commute.

Cheers,

Cameron

This is interesting because... in most states a cylist is not required to use a ped crossing, and if he is inline with the nature strip / road related area of the main road - the turning cars have to give way to him making his way across a joining road, just like you have to give way to pedestrains when you are turning and they are going straight.

Im not sure i follow.

Its illegal to ride across a pedestrian crossing (zebra or signals) except in QLD.

If theres no ped crossing then any cyclist not riding on the carriageway which has priority must give way entering and crossing the road. There is no requirement for turning vehicles to give way to cyclists, only pedestrians. This also doesnt not apply to vehicles who have a green arrow applying to their movement.
wellington_street

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:32 pm

last night at the corner of William and Bourke Sts, i witnessed two asian* tourists (carrying suitcases) walking across the intersection. when i say 'across the intersection' i mean across the intersection.. the middle of it, in between traffic :shock:

* i'm not racist, but if you've been to asia much (i love the place and the people!) you'll know that walking in between cars is normal and accepted. unfortunately they did not receive such a cooperative reception from our tolerant Melbourne drivers last night..
jules21

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:57 pm

jules21 wrote:* i'm not racist, but if you've been to asia much (i love the place and the people!) you'll know that walking in between cars is normal and accepted. unfortunately they did not receive such a cooperative reception from our tolerant Melbourne drivers last night..

haha... culture clash. What is perfectly normal in one country can be seen as completely inappropriate in another country. The visitors were probably thinking "crazy drivers!" and the drivers were probably thinking "crazy visitors!".
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:12 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:haha... culture clash. What is perfectly normal in one country can be seen as completely inappropriate in another country. The visitors were probably thinking "crazy drivers!" and the drivers were probably thinking "crazy visitors!".

yes, i'd say the drivers were thinking "that's wrong.. WRONG!!!! WRONGGG!! i must teach them a lesson by accelerating towards them and leaning on my horn!" welcome to australia biatjches!! :)
jules21

Postby Percrime » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:59 pm

" I was just trying to throw a scare into them for their own good. Your Honor"
Percrime

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Percrime wrote:" I was just trying to throw a scare into them for their own good. Your Honor"

just like drivers who pass you with 5mm clearance and yell out "You're going to get yourself killed!" :roll:
jules21

Postby Percrime » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Zacktly
Percrime

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 am

This morning I was the dumb cyclist who didn't realise my backpack was 5 cms more to the outside than it should be and hit the side mirror of a stopped car I was passing to get to the bike box. He rightly honked me and I stopped and apologised and checked to see whether there was any damage. No damage but I feel really bad and stupid because there was plenty of space on the other side so it shouldn't have happened. Dumb.
Summernight

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Had a kid kick a ball at me today. He wouldn't have been much older than 3 or 4 years. I think he just didn't know he was kicking towards a path.

And there are too many kids on the Cook River path during this period. They leave their bikes, and scooters on the path when they go off and play.

I also rode past the AFP on the footpath. 8)
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Roe St PSP, two teenage girls walking on the wrong side looking down and and playing with their hair only to look up and find me less then a 1m in front

saw them aaages away to see when they would look up, they never did.
jaseyjase

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Spearwood Ave, Spearwood. Spotted reflectors ahead no lights. Got closer and it was a bike rider heading the wrong way in the bike lane. Lucky I was in the car, as I do ride that road.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion