The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby yugyug » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 am

il padrone wrote:An older one now, but a heck of a tale. Makes Margaret Thatcher look positively angelic :P

And then there are a few different viewpoints on her behaviour locally that just don't seem to make the newspapers ???

The woman is a stir-crazed, turd-swinging old bat!

From the article:
"He told me he was going to call the police, so I was sarcastic and said, 'Are you going to call your Mummy as well?'"

If a crazy old lady threw poo on me while cycling I would definitely call my mummy - she would find it hilarious! :D
yugyug

by BNA » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

BNA

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

Just depends whose yo momma.
outnabike

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:55 pm

aaannnnnnnddd I've spotted the cyclist who I've decided shall be known as The Baulkham Hills Douchebag again this morning. On form he blew the red light, then up onto the footpath. DOn't know how he passed the section that was full of personal trainers and trainees.

Massive spray from me, naughty words, so no audio :D.

2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Boognoss wrote:Massive spray from me, naughty words, so no audio :D.

And well deserved too IMO. I really don't get the arrogance of not being able to wait 4 seconds for the light to change. Ridiculous!
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:

And well deserved too IMO. I really don't get the arrogance of not being able to wait 4 seconds for the light to change. Ridiculous!

it's ok, he'll have his drivers license back soon enough :roll:
jasonc

Postby westab » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Saw the video when you passed him and thought that looks a little like me (reflective gear etc) - then realized where the video was filmed.

I have not ridden there for more than 10 years so it could not be me; agree that a good spray was in order. Hopefully he might change his ways before either he gets hurt or some poor innocent does.

It also looked like the don't care attitude was firmly in place - his head didn't even turn.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:59 pm

westab wrote:

Saw the video when you passed him and thought that looks a little like me (reflective gear etc) - then realized where the video was filmed.

I have not ridden there for more than 10 years so it could not be me; agree that a good spray was in order. Hopefully he might change his ways before either he gets hurt or some poor innocent does.

It also looked like the don't care attitude was firmly in place - his head didn't even turn.

You'd have known if you'd copped the spray, although old douchey didn't respond at all. Not even a flinch. I didn't spot telltale earphone cables either..... :?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby westab » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Boognoss wrote:
You'd have known if you'd copped the spray, although old douchey didn't respond at all. Not even a flinch. I didn't spot telltale earphone cables either..... :?

Mate you ever catch me running a red - you have my permission to spray me even worse. It won't be the worse one I'll get because I am sure the first time I do it will be the day Mrs Westab is dropping the kids off to me for a ride home I just got busted being a bad example :oops: :roll: :oops: . There will sure be an education process that night followed by sleeping in the dog house for a week :!:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:19 pm

How do you pull the audio off your footage, Boognoss? I can't work out how to do it... Unless it requires an editing program I don't have.
Summernight

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Summernight wrote:How do you pull the audio off your footage, Boognoss? I can't work out how to do it... Unless it requires an editing program I don't have.

Summernight I use freeware Avidemux for simple editing like cutting up footage and removing audio mainly on my work comp - the fancy Mac with iMovie is the home machine. The audio track just needed to be deselected to remove it from the final output video.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

westab wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

Mate you ever catch me running a red - you have my permission to spray me even worse. It won't be the worse one I'll get because I am sure the first time I do it will be the day Mrs Westab is dropping the kids off to me for a ride home I just got busted being a bad example :oops: :roll: :oops: . There will sure be an education process that night followed by sleeping in the dog house for a week :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Summernight wrote:How do you pull the audio off your footage, Boognoss? I can't work out how to do it... Unless it requires an editing program I don't have.

Summernight I use freeware Avidemux for simple editing like cutting up footage and removing audio mainly on my work comp - the fancy Mac with iMovie is the home machine. The audio track just needed to be deselected to remove it from the final output video.

I was surprised to find that Microsoft movie maker is actually a useful tool for my limited needs, largely cropping & combining files. It also allows you to remove the audio track as a "custom setting"
find_bruce

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:18 pm

I started using VideoPad as recommended by the Fly6 crew, a little bit harder than MovieMaker, but it does PIP and a few other nice things as well. MM kept crashing on me lately, that 's what prompted the change.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Summernight
Just to give an idea, the pic is off my Power director video program. Rated highly but not as easy as some others. (To me anyway) It shows the time line and the sound line is selected. With the controls (Circled) I can add or reduce the sound right through or select sections to mute or remove if I want to. Or I can import sounds as well as speak over the area as well.
I have only just installed it and having a play. All strange to me and a bit of a learning curve. :)

outnabike

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks. Will check those programs out.

To the lady pedestrian who decided to cross the tram tracks and road between cars and was about to step out blindly into the bike lane without looking if I hadn't yelled 'Stop!' at you - please use your brain next time you cross the road and don't switch your brain off until you're in bed asleep (or at work. :P).
Summernight

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

Summernight wrote:To the lady pedestrian who decided to cross the tram tracks and road between cars and was about to step out blindly into the bike lane without looking if I hadn't yelled 'Stop!' at you - please use your brain next time you cross the road and don't switch your brain off until you're in bed asleep (or at work. :P).

this happens to me eve.ry.night along Bourke St. i just pull up for them, then try and guess the facial expression when they realise they've stepped in front of me. about half the time they remain oblivious.
jules21

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:38 am

We had on this morning at the pedestrian crossing outside of Cornetts on Bribie. They just walked straight out without looking and then had the audacity to yell at us, you're supposed too stop at the crossing and I just yelled back, yeah but you're supposed too look first before stepping out! :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Oxford » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 pm

foo on patrol wrote:We had on this morning at the pedestrian crossing outside of Cornetts on Bribie. They just walked straight out without looking and then had the audacity to yell at us, you're supposed too stop at the crossing and I just yelled back, yeah but you're supposed too look first before stepping out! :roll:

Foo

So you were all traveling at a speed at which you could safely stop if necessary?
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm

To the jogger that was jogging down the road at 5.30am in the pitch black going same way as traffic and without lights, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before your deathwish comes true.

To the other jogger I saw earler doing the same thing, at least you did have a blinky light though a white light rather than red would be less confusing for oncoming traffic.

I might go out and buy a stack of cheapo red and white blinky lights and offer to sell them to early morning joggers and dog walkers, I'd be sure to make a fortune. :roll:
Ross

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:47 pm

28kmh but there comes a point where you don't have enough room and by watching them, we had time to veer to the right when the dipchits just walked straight out! :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby roller » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:39 pm

foo on patrol wrote:28kmh but there comes a point where you don't have enough room and by watching them, we had time to veer to the right when the dipchits just walked straight out! :roll:

Foo

Bet they wouldn't have done it if you were a car.
roller

Postby outnabike » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:16 pm

foo on patrol wrote:28kmh but there comes a point where you don't have enough room and by watching them, we had time to veer to the right when the dipchits just walked straight out! :roll:

Foo

Damn fools, they oughta use a crossing.......ahhh hang on......... :) Your kidding, right, foo....... ?
outnabike

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:07 am

You don't have right of way on pedestrian crossings, you are to stop, look and wait for it to be clear before using it, not walk straight out without looking and hope that whatever is coming has enough time to stop! :roll: Even on light operated ones, you should be looking before stepping out, but I guess that is to much to comprehend for some people. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby herzog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 am

foo on patrol wrote:You don't have right of way on pedestrian crossings, you are to stop, look and wait for it to be clear before using it, not walk straight out without looking and hope that whatever is coming has enough time to stop! :roll: Even on light operated ones, you should be looking before stepping out, but I guess that is to much to comprehend for some people. :lol:

Hey vehicles before people right?!

In seriousness though, sounds like you're trying to rationalise a bit Foo.

As a "vehicle" you're supposed to stop for pedestrians on the crossing OR about to cross. You must travel at a speed such that you can stop if a pedestrian commences crossing. It is for this reason that crossings are preceded by lengthy "no stopping" zones, to open up the sight lines. This means that the motorist (or cyclist in your case) can't play the SMIDSY card.
herzog

Postby Oxford » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:37 am

herzog wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:You don't have right of way on pedestrian crossings, you are to stop, look and wait for it to be clear before using it, not walk straight out without looking and hope that whatever is coming has enough time to stop! :roll: Even on light operated ones, you should be looking before stepping out, but I guess that is to much to comprehend for some people. :lol:

Hey vehicles before people right?!

In seriousness though, sounds like you're trying to rationalise a bit Foo.

As a "vehicle" you're supposed to stop for pedestrians on the crossing OR about to cross. You must travel at a speed such that you can stop if a pedestrian commences crossing. It is for this reason that crossings are preceded by lengthy "no stopping" zones, to open up the sight lines. This means that the motorist (or cyclist in your case) can't play the SMIDSY card.

My thoughts exactly, knowing this crossing well having driven through it regularlyfor over 18 years personally to visit the in laws, any person who regularly traverses that section of road knows that people exit the shopping centre to use the crossing to get to the carpark on the other side of the road. The onus is on drivers to be careful at any crossing let alone one a regular riding group would be familiar with, it shouldn't really have been that surprising. To claim otherwise is really short sighted.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion