The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:10 pm

jules21 wrote:
archetuthus wrote:im not the owner of the clip but saw this on youtube: http://youtu.be/WpjVJLqBtMg

i'd be annoyed too. that other guy looks like he has just gone out and bought a load of Rapha kit and thinks everyone should yield to him.


maybe he's pissed because the rapha kit looked better in the shop than it did on the road? :mrgreen:
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:19 pm

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Yeah that one's mine.

Here's the backstory that I posted to Sydney Cyclist yesterday.



Hassling other riders is bad enough. Doing so when you're in the wrong is worse. And doing so in dangerous, fast multi lane traffic is pure evil.

This morning I came across Sydney's stupidest yet most obnoxious cyclist.


If anyone thinks they know this bloke, (description below) get him to read this thread so he can reflect on his stupidity. My concern is that if he repeats this rubbish on an inexperienced cyclist at this location, there could be a serious accident or fatality.


I was riding to work along the fast multi-lane section of Oxford St adjacent to the top of Centennial Park. This is a heavily used commuter cycling corridor, despite the fact that it is a difficult piece of road for cycling.

You've got 6+ lanes of fast moving cars and buses. The limit is 60, but most of them do 70.

And cyclists continuing on Oxford st (which is the majority) have to do a challenging lane change to get across to the right when the road forks at Moore Park Road.


So I'm riding along here, at a decent pace around 45kph. I notice that someone I don't know has started drafting me. I can see his shadow.

A few hundred metres before the intersection, I sit up, start my head checks and arm signals to merge across into a clear lane.

This bloke is still drafting and he's in my lane, but offset to my right hand side. Basically just over my right shoulder. If I do my lane change, his front wheel is at risk of causing an accident. I advise him I'm changing lanes, have my arm out in the clearest possible signal, still doing the head check.

I say again, "dude ease off, I'm changing lanes here".

A rider with half a brain would ease up for 2 seconds and pass me on the left. But no, this guy stays bolted on my right shoulder.

Then I said something like "use your brain", and he hesitates for a second. I get my lane change in, and then the road starts forking.


Then, I kid you not, he whips out his waterbottle and pathetically tries to squirt me. Like a toddler with a waterpistol but in 6 lanes of traffic.

But across 2 lanes, at 30+ kph it didn't go close to hitting me.

I actually laughed for a second - I think he got it on himself. But then I thought, given this location and the traffic, - this guy could cause a fatal bike accident.
Not a laughing matter.

What's wrong with this city? Angry guys like this individual throw king hits in nightclubs etc.

It's also like the people that throw showtime at cyclists out of pick-up trucks. Brain dead, and I don't think they realise how dangerous it is.


So, description:

Black LOOK roadbike. Full black kit

Male, 30's, with a mangy Willie Nelson style beard.


I had the Fly 6 running, plus a front camera. I've only pulled off a quick still image from the front, but haven't looked at the Fly6 footage. I'll post the video in the next couple of days.


Like I said, if anyone thinks they know this bloke, get him to read this thread so he can reflect how idiotic and dangerous this is.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby ab012 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:45 pm

wow
ab012
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Oxford » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

what a tosser, what hope is there for cyclists when they're issuing "punishments" to each other.
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5226
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby outnabike » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Boognoss wrote:Here's a tip, before you walk onto a road how about looking up first???



I was thinking you should box his ears but he did it himself.

Image
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Spotted what looked like a kitted out roadie a few days ago, on here road,looked like he knew which way was up. Apparently he didn't know which way was forwards though according to the white flasher at the back. I turned off before I caught him and couldn't see if his head was on the right way.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby neild » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:32 pm

See plenty of roadies on the Gardners creek trail in Melb with red flashies on the front. Really don't get it.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie
neild
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:31 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 pm

It's not rocket surgery, red-rear. White-front.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:18 pm

outnabike wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Here's a tip, before you walk onto a road how about looking up first???



I was thinking you should box his ears but he did it himself.

Image


:lol: indeed. As well as blocking out sound the fellow had his head in his phone just before the Air Zounding was necessary.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5857
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby duncanm » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Roadie climbing New Line Rd just past Boundary Rd about 7:30pm.

Mate - your rear light is busted. Lots of high speed traffic going 'WT??'. I should have stopped and told him. My bad.
duncanm
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby pacra » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Arterial road, peak hour. Cyclist with a long handle shovel tied to the pannier rack. Jutting out about a metre past the wheel, shovel head backwards.

Not really a dumb cyclist considering the wide berth cars were giving her. No room for angry MM's here, or wheel suckers. Took 200 metres before I was game to gingerly pass her.
pacra
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Oxford » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:07 am

LOL, probably a very effective safety device.
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5226
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am

pacra wrote:Arterial road, peak hour. Cyclist with a long handle shovel tied to the pannier rack. Jutting out about a metre past the wheel, shovel head backwards.

Not really a dumb cyclist considering the wide berth cars were giving her. No room for angry MM's here, or wheel suckers. Took 200 metres before I was game to gingerly pass her.


I like it. would have been better if it was a pitch fork

OK - i had one this morning. I overtook two cyclists by crossing double lines. Now I am in QLD where you are allowed to cross double white lines to overtake a cyclist. So was I the dumb cyclist as I had a guy give me a mouthful (didn't hear a word he said unfortunately)?
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 am

pacra wrote:Arterial road, peak hour. Cyclist with a long handle shovel tied to the pannier rack. Jutting out about a metre past the wheel, shovel head backwards.

Not really a dumb cyclist considering the wide berth cars were giving her. No room for angry MM's here, or wheel suckers. Took 200 metres before I was game to gingerly pass her.


They were probably terrified that if they closed shaved her or cut her off that she'd catch them at the lights and that shovel would be through their window. :shock: Amazing that the thought of potential risk to themselves changes motorist behaviour. :D
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4206
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:35 am

g-boaf wrote:
pacra wrote:Arterial road, peak hour. Cyclist with a long handle shovel tied to the pannier rack. Jutting out about a metre past the wheel, shovel head backwards.

Not really a dumb cyclist considering the wide berth cars were giving her. No room for angry MM's here, or wheel suckers. Took 200 metres before I was game to gingerly pass her.


They were probably terrified that if they closed shaved her or cut her off that she'd catch them at the lights and that shovel would be through their window. :shock: Amazing that the thought of potential risk to themselves changes motorist behaviour. :D

That's it, I am ditching the reflective gear & buying a shovel. What length handle works best ? :D
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Percrime » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:01 am

neild wrote:See plenty of roadies on the Gardners creek trail in Melb with red flashies on the front. Really don't get it.


Nah Stupid buggers. I reccomend unnecessary violence as a response. Someone is going to get hurt it might as well be them
Percrime
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 am

find_bruce wrote:That's it, I am ditching the reflective gear & buying a shovel. What length handle works best ? :D

You definitely want a Spear & Jackson No. 3. :)
Image
User avatar
silentC
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 am

silentC wrote:
find_bruce wrote:That's it, I am ditching the reflective gear & buying a shovel. What length handle works best ? :D

You definitely want a Spear & Jackson No. 3. :)


but what's it weigh? is it carbon?
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby silentC » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 am

Nay lad, that's finest Yorkshire steel that is!
Image
User avatar
silentC
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Coming home last night, Westbound on the Sydney M2 Road Shoulder at 5pm, I was faced with a guy on a Mouttain Bike or Hybrid (no helmet), heading Eastbound in the Westbound lane. No lights either. I was doing around 45km/h at the time, luckily it was on the straight downhill section between the Kent Rd bridge and the Murray Farm Rd bridge.

Did anyone else riding the M2 just after 5pm encounter him?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 pm

queequeg wrote:Coming home last night, Westbound on the Sydney M2 Road Shoulder at 5pm, I was faced with a guy on a Mouttain Bike or Hybrid (no helmet), heading Eastbound in the Westbound lane. No lights either. I was doing around 45km/h at the time, luckily it was on the straight downhill section between the Kent Rd bridge and the Murray Farm Rd bridge.

Did anyone else riding the M2 just after 5pm encounter him?


I didn't see him yesterday. I was on the M2 from Delhi to P/Hills Rd between approx 5:15 and 5:35.

I've seen a bike salmoning the eastbound in the western bike lane hugging the crash barrier a couple of weeks ago just after I entered at Delhi Rd though.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5857
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:Coming home last night, Westbound on the Sydney M2 Road Shoulder at 5pm, I was faced with a guy on a Mouttain Bike or Hybrid (no helmet), heading Eastbound in the Westbound lane. No lights either. I was doing around 45km/h at the time, luckily it was on the straight downhill section between the Kent Rd bridge and the Murray Farm Rd bridge.

Did anyone else riding the M2 just after 5pm encounter him?


I didn't see him yesterday. I was on the M2 from Delhi to P/Hills Rd between approx 5:15 and 5:35.

I've seen a bike salmoning the eastbound in the western bike lane hugging the crash barrier a couple of weeks ago just after I entered at Delhi Rd though.


At the speed he was going, he must have exited at Beecroft Rd, otherwise you would have encountered him riding the wrong way through the tunnel. I saw him at 5:01pm about half way between Kent Rd and Murray Farm Rd.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:03 pm

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:Coming home last night, Westbound on the Sydney M2 Road Shoulder at 5pm, I was faced with a guy on a Mouttain Bike or Hybrid (no helmet), heading Eastbound in the Westbound lane. No lights either. I was doing around 45km/h at the time, luckily it was on the straight downhill section between the Kent Rd bridge and the Murray Farm Rd bridge.

Did anyone else riding the M2 just after 5pm encounter him?


I didn't see him yesterday. I was on the M2 from Delhi to P/Hills Rd between approx 5:15 and 5:35.

I've seen a bike salmoning the eastbound in the western bike lane hugging the crash barrier a couple of weeks ago just after I entered at Delhi Rd though.


At the speed he was going, he must have exited at Beecroft Rd, otherwise you would have encountered him riding the wrong way through the tunnel. I saw him at 5:01pm about half way between Kent Rd and Murray Farm Rd.


:roll: :roll: Not like the shoulder to Beecroft Rd eastbound with only a bit of salmoning up the onramp wouldn't be possible if that way inclined. Just dumb...... A lot less salmoning for the uber lazy cyclist ;)
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5857
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:04 pm

I am nominating a complete idiot road user I saw last night. Walking back from a run at night... that is FULL darkness on a poorly lit street, I heard a dreadful racket coming down the road. I had no idea what it was at first but out of the darkness emerged a moron on a petrol powered 'bicycle'... with no reflectors, no lights, dark bike, dark clothing, no helmet. He seemed to be moving at a fair clip too. He had no hope of being seen... an accident waiting to happen. Although, I must say at the volume of the racket his vehicle made... perhaps that was the warning that something was amiss. I could hear it at least a kilometre away! :shock: Still, pretty stupid to drive around in dark clothing at night on a dark vehicle with no lights.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7339
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:25 pm

I saw my first ever red light on the front of a bicycle tonight. i gave them a serve
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gretaboy



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit