The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:53 pm

time for you canberrans to do a bulk order on a set of airzounds
jasonc

by BNA » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 pm

BNA

Postby mikeyg63 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 pm

I came across this gem on my way home tonight.

Without a care in the world this chap cycles across the intersection, dressed in his suit with his hands in his suit pockets. He didn't bother with a shoulder check.

Apologies for the video clarity, forgot to turn the Go Pro on but captured this from the Mobius helmet cam - a bit shakey.

mikeyg63

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Mob mentality this arvo. Lots of people in a group on the foreshore this arvo on the way home. Appears the school formal had gathered there for photos etc. all over the path, rang the bell incessantly as I was getting not reaction, but managed to weave through a few. Started saying 'excuse me trying to ride through' then had to stop behind another lady cyclist who was being too polite and not getting anywhere. Comments went:
"We're just having a formal" "Well you can have your formal two steps over" and then went downhill. "You should be on the road" "you're going to quick" "look at this idiot" and worse. None of them had any intention of moving really annoyed me that I was supposedly the one in the wrong, I didn't want to get all ranty, just wanted to pass through. There were plenty of other users in the area, cyclists, dog walkers, joggers too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby antigee » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:04 am

"lobstermash wrote:
Lady playing fetch with her dog along the Athllon Drive shared path, using one of those tennis ball launcher sticks to get extra distance... Not a good idea any time of the day around a shared path. Even less so at 8:20am."

had that experience here in Melbourne on a shared path which some locals would prefer not to be - first time I thought I'd just been riding without observing - second time I thought this guy is setting me up to run his dog over, third time I was stopped 50m or so back chatting to some people I knew as mrs antigee and my youngest carried on up the path - saw the guy launch the ball and hence the dog at my youngest - felt sorry for the dog

challenged guy who just said prove it - a good argument for helmet cams I guess
antigee

Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 am

bychosis wrote:Mob mentality this arvo. Lots of people in a group on the foreshore this arvo on the way home. Appears the school formal had gathered there for photos etc. all over the path, rang the bell incessantly as I was getting not reaction, but managed to weave through a few. Started saying 'excuse me trying to ride through' then had to stop behind another lady cyclist who was being too polite and not getting anywhere. Comments went:
"We're just having a formal" "Well you can have your formal two steps over" and then went downhill. "You should be on the road" "you're going to quick" "look at this idiot" and worse. None of them had any intention of moving really annoyed me that I was supposedly the one in the wrong, I didn't want to get all ranty, just wanted to pass through. There were plenty of other users in the area, cyclists, dog walkers, joggers too.

You should have just pointed to a spot 20m off the path and yelled "look, there's Kim Kardashian!". The brain dead teenagers would have rushed off the path quick smart. :lol:
biker jk

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 am

biker jk wrote:
bychosis wrote:Mob mentality...snip...

You should have just pointed to a spot 20m off the path and yelled "look, there's Kim Kardashian!". The brain dead teenagers would have rushed off the path quick smart. :lol:

I'm a long way off being a teenager so am a little out of touch, maybe that would have worked. 5secs, two steps and I would have been gone.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby silentC » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:45 am

Kim Kardashian!!?? She's so 2013!
silentC

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:46 am

bychosis wrote:Mob mentality this arvo. Lots of people in a group on the foreshore this arvo on the way home. Appears the school formal had gathered there for photos etc. all over the path, rang the bell incessantly as I was getting not reaction, but managed to weave through a few. Started saying 'excuse me trying to ride through' then had to stop behind another lady cyclist who was being too polite and not getting anywhere. Comments went:

It's just Kids mate, Don't worry they will soon have cars and be on the road where they can do no harm. :) I went past a group and one yelled; "Hey mate, your back wheel is going around" I pointed at him and yelled back, "Prime minister material there" and I laughed as all his mates Jibed him.
I was about 6 when we spouted that one, these boys were around 15 so education is kicking in. :)
outnabike

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:48 am

Fremantle yesterday coming home, spotted a e-bike on the path on the other side of the road, no problem for me. Next thing he hops on the road and becomes a salmon for 500m or so. Then goes thru a roundabout the wrong way
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Jangari » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:57 am

Baalzamon wrote:Next thing he hops on the road and becomes a salmon for 500m or so.

Salmon. Love it.
Jangari

Postby Blinding » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:49 am

shoulda got the water bottle out started squirting them that would of get them moving in their nice formal attire :twisted:
2014 Avanti Cadent ERII
2012 Giant Talon 1x10
Blinding

Postby tekapo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:30 pm

The Yarra Trail on the Burnley side is closed again, so have to cross the MacRobertson Bridge onto the trail on the South side.

There is a big sign both posted and on the ground asking people to hoof it across, this is done with good reason. The bridge doesn't have a bike path as such, its just a side walk wide enough for a bike and little bit more. But the width isn't really the issue, its the blind spot on the North side where the path narrows, you can't see the approaching cyclist from either direction. No view of it at all. Well, this aint that bad, except you got a wall on one side, and heavy traffic in a narrow lane on the other. So if you collide, or even just lose your balance due to an incoming cyclist at the tight spot, the result might not be pretty.

I usually get go on the road for that stretch, City bound, the lead up on the Yarra Boulevard is great, usually not much traffic, crossing the bridge on the road is good if you just take the lane. Then the round about is fairly standard, then the lanes on Alexandra Ave is wide with plenty of space for a bike and car. Then you just hop back onto the trail. Pretty similar on East bound. So if you want speed, then the road is the best option, much better ride and you avoid some of the crappy bike path along Alexandra Ave.

But then you see the idiots who decide that the fast option is no good, but will never consider getting off the bike, and ride across the foot path on the bridge at speed. Saw a few close shaves. Seriously people. Get on the road if you want the speed.
tekapo

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
g-boaf wrote:You can't do much about it, it's shared use, and I suppose throwing balls for a dog is part of that definition. ;)

A fiver says a shared use area is not a designated off-leash area.

i.e. no ball chasing by dogs allowed.

In my experience (WA) this'd be what I'd expect too. Dogs only have limited freedom to roam.

Shared use is not as broad as you may be implying. For example, I couldn't set up a meth lab in the local park even if I am just "sharing" the use of the park. "Shared use", in WA at least, only came into the lexicon when the community was arguing the toss about whether or not cyclists could ride on footpaths, which were the undisputed domain of peds. (You were required to know your local bylaws and what had been gazzetted as such. Duh!)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 am

almost ran over an iped this morning. saw it coming and was on the brakes. another pedestrian yelled out to them and they looked up. an apology came out then going instantly back to their phone :roll:
jasonc

Postby silentC » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:56 am

Bloke jogging on the shared path today, mostly in the right hand lane but flinging his arms around a bit. I ring the bell just to let him know I'm approaching and he jumps off the path altogether and into the grass on the right hand side. I think some of these people think they are the only ones stupid enough to be out there that early in the morning...

I get to the half way point where I turn around, it's a car park behind the old wharf. There is a guy in a car in front of me driving very slowly and he comes to a stop at the fork in the road where left is the entrance to the car park and right goes to the fishing platform, seeming uncertain what to do. He sees me in his mirror as I come up to pass him on the right, I make good eye contact and he TURNS RIGHT! So I make a last minute course correction and go to his left.

Then on the way home I had a bloke walk out in front of me to cross the street. Didn't even look. Gave me the death stare when he saw me as if I had no right to be there, which of course I don't because my bike is not registered. Shakes head and mutters to self "bloody cyclists".

Then on the way back I see a car with a bike rack at the end of the shared path. It has a cardboard number plate on the rack. I see a mum and a kid a bit up the track, so I catch up and let her know that one of the local highway patrol guys will book her if he sees her, tell her where to get the auxiliary plates from.

Then leaving her, I come up behind another cyclist. As I pass him there are two guys coming the other way riding side by side. They don't look... they don't look.. they don't look... By now I'm just entering magpie territory so I reach down for my pump (which I use to scare the maggies away). Now they look up and they see me riding towards them with my pump over my shoulder like I'm ready to hit someone or something. Abruptly the guy in my lane moves over and I have to say as I ride past "don't worry, it's for the magpies".

OK, not exactly exciting by some standards, but that was a hectic ride for these parts.
silentC

Postby tubby74 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Rider in full matching bmc kit in katoomba last sunday. Racing along footpaths and hooking drivers in pedestrian crossings.

Also more of a heads up. Headed out at dawn on the m4 two weekends ago there was some serious fog in parts though was totally clear by penrith. There were several riders with no lights and dark kit. Might not have been an issue when they left home but they were almost invisible in the conditions.
tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Dbl post.
tubby74

Postby iaintas » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 pm

To the goose on the koonung creek trail today, heading towards the city. I was in my lane, there was a ped with a pram and a young girl on a bike in the oncoming lane. Cyclist pretending that he is out training for his next crit race on his city bike, not slowing down barreling past the lady with children, crossing into my lane and almost forcing me to dive of the path. Mate your a doosh, slow down when your around kids on bikes and especially when there is an oncoming bike, i hope you heard me giving you an earful and your not such an embarrassment to cyclists next time.
iaintas

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:53 am

2 in 1 this morning.
5:15am
going up the jindalee hill ( a short sharp pinch) i had drifted to the right of centre a bit. next thing i know a bloke is coming down the hill yelling and screaming with no lights on

yes I drifted, sorry. no i did not see you as it was still 15 minutes before sunrise.
jasonc

Postby malnar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Could easily have killed a BMXer this morning. I was preparing to drive off from a parallel park on a busy road that has a bike lane. Had my right indicator on, was already jutting out a bit and was looking in my side mirror for a break in the traffic. I took off slowly when the break came & looked ahead to see a kid on a bmx pass me on the inside riding the wrong way down the bike lane...arghhh.
malnar

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:24 pm

malnar wrote:Could easily have killed a BMXer this morning. I was preparing to drive off from a parallel park on a busy road that has a bike lane. Had my right indicator on, was already jutting out a bit and was looking in my side mirror for a break in the traffic. I took off slowly when the break came & looked ahead to see a kid on a bmx pass me on the inside riding the wrong way down the bike lane...arghhh.

ah ye old salmon BMX. unfortunately standard for a lot of BMX riders I see
jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Thought I was going to witness a serious collision on the way home - dumb cyclist with an unjustified sense of importance & no apparent understanding of either the road rules or the laws of physics, shoots out from behind concrete barriers onto a pedestrian crossing straight in front of a car without even pausing to think whether the driver could stop in time. There was another cyclist next to me & both he & I were stunned by the gross stupidity.
Image . . . . . . . Image
find_bruce

Postby silentC » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:00 am

Couple from the weekend.

We were riding home from a group ride on Sunday on the shared path. The two guys in front of me were riding side by side. Someone came around the corner from the opposite direction so the guy on the right had to pull in behind the guy next to him, but the woman riding the other way freaked and starts going "no no no" presumably having a go at our mate for being on the wrong side of the track. Only she apparently failed to notice that her husband (I assume) was riding next to her, also on the wrong side of the track!!

Then a bit further up we come across a group of cyclists stopped in the middle of the track, with one bike across the whole track blocking both directions, and another guy still on his bike reaching across and doing something to the back of the other bike. Three or four others standing around straddling bikes and all on the track. They see us coming but don't move or even seem to notice that we can't get past. Much shuffling of bikes and track standing later, we get through.
silentC

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:59 am

@silentC I hope you explained to them how stupid they were... :)
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby markyrocks » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:09 pm

silentC wrote:Bloke jogging on the shared path today, mostly in the right hand lane but flinging his arms around a bit. I ring the bell just to let him know I'm approaching and he jumps off the path altogether and into the grass on the right hand side. I think some of these people think they are the only ones stupid enough to be out there that early in the morning...

I get to the half way point where I turn around, it's a car park behind the old wharf. There is a guy in a car in front of me driving very slowly and he comes to a stop at the fork in the road where left is the entrance to the car park and right goes to the fishing platform, seeming uncertain what to do. He sees me in his mirror as I come up to pass him on the right, I make good eye contact and he TURNS RIGHT! So I make a last minute course correction and go to his left.

Then on the way home I had a bloke walk out in front of me to cross the street. Didn't even look. Gave me the death stare when he saw me as if I had no right to be there, which of course I don't because my bike is not registered. Shakes head and mutters to self "bloody cyclists".

Then on the way back I see a car with a bike rack at the end of the shared path. It has a cardboard number plate on the rack. I see a mum and a kid a bit up the track, so I catch up and let her know that one of the local highway patrol guys will book her if he sees her, tell her where to get the auxiliary plates from.

Then leaving her, I come up behind another cyclist. As I pass him there are two guys coming the other way riding side by side. They don't look... they don't look.. they don't look... By now I'm just entering magpie territory so I reach down for my pump (which I use to scare the maggies away). Now they look up and they see me riding towards them with my pump over my shoulder like I'm ready to hit someone or something. Abruptly the guy in my lane moves over and I have to say as I ride past "don't worry, it's for the magpies".

OK, not exactly exciting by some standards, but that was a hectic ride for these parts.

HAHA, thats the best story I've heard in a while. Quite the eventful day
markyrocks

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion