The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby uppo75 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:40 pm

uppo75

by BNA » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm

BNA

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm

uppo75 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEfibYOfVNE
not a happy ending.......

Yikes that was terrible...
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby outnabike » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:32 pm

And the bloke right behind didn't even see it happen until he heard the sound.
outnabike

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:59 pm

It seems humans, phones and moving are a bad combination.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 pm

bychosis wrote:

It seems humans, phones and moving are a bad combination.

This needs to be painted all over the town, a hundred times, in letters ten feet high.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:08 pm

This bloke coming down MT Cootha in the wrong direction in a one way street.
Dragster1

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:16 pm

outnabike wrote:

And the bloke right behind didn't even see it happen until he heard the sound.

He was on the phone same as she was :cry: Probably the driver was too.

Not nice at all.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby wexford » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Wow, that was a fun one. Clown in a hi-vis top is walking in the middle of the shared path (Perth City Link building area). As I approach, he walks in front of me, stops, holds his arms out and starts mouthing off. "Think ya own the road, c***? I should f*cking punch you out, c***" and so forth. Must have been a bad day at the office :roll:

After some quiet remonstration on my part, and further loud hi-vis bogan trash talk on his, I went around him, proceeded 10m and rounded the cyclone fence on the side of the path and came alongside with it between us, and gave him an earful to his face through said fence. I finished with "you're lucky you're on the other side of that fence, mate" and took off. He didn't have a comeback to that use of irony :D
wexford

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:32 pm

^ did you do a burnout as you took off?
jasonc

Postby kenwstr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:28 pm

wexford wrote:Wow, that was a fun one. Clown in a hi-vis top is walking in the middle of the shared path (Perth City Link building area). As I approach, he walks in front of me, stops, holds his arms out and starts mouthing off. "Think ya own the road, c***? I should f*cking punch you out, c***" and so forth. Must have been a bad day at the office :roll:

After some quiet remonstration on my part, and further loud hi-vis bogan trash talk on his, I went around him, proceeded 10m and rounded the cyclone fence on the side of the path and came alongside with it between us, and gave him an earful to his face through said fence. I finished with "you're lucky you're on the other side of that fence, mate" and took off. He didn't have a comeback to that use of irony :D

Yep, cyclone fences are useful irony all right! :wink:
kenwstr

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:49 am

wexford wrote:Wow, that was a fun one. Clown in a hi-vis top is walking in the middle of the shared path (Perth City Link building area). As I approach, he walks in front of me, stops, holds his arms out and starts mouthing off. "Think ya own the road, c***? I should f*cking punch you out, c***" and so forth. Must have been a bad day at the office :roll:

Yep there is always tomorry....... :) Be careful Tiger.....
outnabike

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Gene pool needs cleaning again it seems....

BianchiCam

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:04 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Gene pool needs cleaning again it seems....

look out I'm on the peninsula at the moment. it's scary down here
jasonc

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:34 pm

That looks like pretty fast riding to be in the dooring zone :(
InTheWoods

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:32 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Gene pool needs cleaning again it seems....

Does amazing things in the CBD...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:27 pm

InTheWoods wrote:That looks like pretty fast riding to be in the dooring zone :(

Short focal length cameras will make distances look further away and so speeds greater. Without knowing the focal length and width of focal plane I'd factor in about a quarter to a third reduction of apparent speed. If it was a gopro you'd probably want to allow even more.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby cp123 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:58 pm

almost had a head on this morning with a dumb floriade zombie. :evil: :shock: :roll:

Northbound on the southbound lane of CW bridge in Canberra. (I know that sounds backwards, but you can either go on the western or eastern sides of the bridge in either direction if you want to head into town west or east).

anyway, i'm riding with a newish cycling friend into work and I've gone over the bridge towards work and am heading down the ramp that continues on towards the archbishop's hill. I saw 2 ladies/girls rolling along the bottom path heading in the same direction as where I was aiming and started to slow to let them go and then I would've filtered in behind them and then passed when it was safe. They were on the ladies step through bikes - you know the type that often have rattley mudguards. Anyway, for those that know it, there's a 4 way path junction at the bottom of the ramp. As I was near the bottom of the ramp, the first of these girls didn't so much as look up, indicate or anything, but she overshoots the corner and then swings left. She's actually off the path on the grass but heading right towards me as she tries to steer back onto the path. It was then I yell out "LOOOOKOUUUUT" and think about swinging to my right to pass her. She looked up and showtimed herself as realised I was less than 10 foot away from her and hauling on my brakes and she takes both feet off her pedals and loses her steering and is now right in front of me wobbling in all direction. I think about going right but then realise i'd collect the second rider who is now turning the same way and I have no way out. I have no other option but to hard right it into the grass.

The first girl was shrieking OMGosh and the second one was yelling at her (I assume) look out! I somehow got out of her way and pulled up. The second girl was saying sorry sorry sorry. I was almost showtiming myself too. I said - you didn't indicate, nor even look up. and you MUST KEEP LEFT on shard paths and you almost caused a major head on. I also said if she'd taken me down I would've been really REAALLY spewing! :evil:

I think she realised how close she was to causing a major stuff up. In the moment I also thought about my friend behind me and whether she was on my tail, or far enough back to keep herself out of trouble - ie I didn't want her to stack either.

as it was, my friend saw it all unfold and said even she was showtiming herself for me too. but she rides motorbikes regularly so has a clue how it all happens in the real world.

talk about an adrenalin rush I didn't need. heart rate was probably on 200 in those last few seconds - I really didn't want to be the next splat attack - especially at the hands of someone else.
cp123

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:That looks like pretty fast riding to be in the dooring zone :(

Short focal length cameras will make distances look further away and so speeds greater. Without knowing the focal length and width of focal plane I'd factor in about a quarter to a third reduction of apparent speed. If it was a gopro you'd probably want to allow even more.

It is a go pro. Also a reasonably narrow part of the road. I could see there were no occupants in the cars so was a bit closer
As well.
BianchiCam

Postby archetuthus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Mind the puns in this article but this cyclist was pretty dumb:

"A north Queensland man caught kidnapping a 20kg statue of Yoda has been charged with theft.
Police said the Ayr man was under the influence of alcohol - and possibly the Dark Side of the Force - when he stole a pushbike and rode to the police barracks in Young Street where he spotted the diminutive Jedi master under the house.
The man allegedly slung the life-size likeness of the Dagobah resident across the handlebars and rode off doing what police described as an uncanny impression of Elliott and ET from the film, ET The Extra-Terrestrial."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... z3FipdbskH
archetuthus

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 pm

:) :) :)
Lukeyboy

The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby yugyug » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:11 am

Yoda got a caution for not wearing a helmet?? He's a master of Form 4 Ataru - a helmet, he needs not.
yugyug

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:52 pm

and an idiot he must be, breed he must not.
BianchiCam

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:39 am

cp123 wrote:almost had a head on this morning with a dumb floriade zombie. :evil: :shock: :roll:

Not surprised. I went through there on the road (riding the bike) last weekend and there was a wave of at least 20 peds just sauntering across the road even though the traffic light for us had turned green a couple of minutes before hand.

Then yesterday I decided to go in an see Floriade myself so parked the car at work and rode and old hybrid bike I keep at work around the bike path past the bike hire place and under CW ave bridge. I was ridng at only a few km/h above walking speed because there were so many peds spread out all over the path (most had NFI what keep left meant). Then there were other cyclists. There was some young guy on a drop bar bike (probably a BSO from K-Mart) who thought he was in the TDF going full pelt weaving in and out of peds and almost having a head on with me and numerous peds. Then there was Mr Shirtless Tattoo Guy who had a old school custom dragster/chopper thing with a petrol motor and he was going even faster than young BSO guy weaving in and out of peds. Made me ashamed to be a cyclist.
Ross

Postby tubby74 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:23 pm

turn rignt on a roundabout onto a divided road only to be confronted by a bike riding the wrong way with no lights at night. He's going through roundabouts etc on the wrong side. At least he had a helmet on.

not sure if it counts but this week I saw a motor scooter pulled up on the Anzac bridge path by security guards.
tubby74

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:38 am

Scott D (may or may not be his real name, is a very talented cyclist, particularly when riding around mobile chicanes. In the future though Scott D(ick) keep the race style riding to the race track.

Commute this morning on the Midland PSP- Mr D(ick) decided to shave every cyclist and pedestrian in his effort to win the sprint to the finish line his turn off.

Just because I ride at a reasonable clip doesn't mean I am competing with you, I also show courtesy to other users.
CXCommuter

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion