The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
herzog wrote:Heavy crash on tram tracks.

Infrastructure partly to blame here.

No infrastructure is not to blame it the way the rider tried to cross the tram track that was the problem. Train and tram tracks with 2 wheel vehicles don't mix and extra care is required when putting the two together. That rider was traveling at speed and tried to cross the track at too fine an angle.

Provisional +1
Zero ride to the conditions decisions were made that day (assuming the dumped rider was a regular there) A tiny lift of the front wheel at each rail and a slight modification to the gung ho attitude would most likely have kept him upright.
But..
That area is a shocker, absolute fail at road design that seems crafted especially to endanger two wheelers.

As is usually the case, all the holes in the Swiss cheese of life have to line up to provide a clear path for the brown to reach the fan. Better road+same riding=rollin'. Restrained riding+same road=0roadrash.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:48 pm

BNA

Postby Oxford » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Oxford wrote:Myself and pedestrians on the share pathway I ride to work. I always ding the bell on the blind corners, just in case and usually its high school kids who have to move to the "correct side" of the pathway ( I know there is no legal requirement, but good sense says keep left on a shared pathway). So the old codgers just around the blind corner got as much of a shock as me (I was not going as fast as I could, but still maybe a little too fast), but hey, when you walk 3 wide across a pathway on a blind corner and ignore the cyclists bell, what do you expect? Politely told them I had been ringing the bell and kept riding. I can do no more other than maybe slow from 15km/h to maybe 10km/h.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Robinho » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:47 pm

That's a horribly narrow path to qualify as a shared path
Robinho

Postby Oxford » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 am

Most of the streets do not even have paths, so trust me, that is as good as it gets around here. We only got a concrete path outside our house about 2~3 years ago to link up to other shared paths after nearly 10 years of living here and 20+ years of the estate existing. And that is only because we are near to the edge of the estate. Only the major feeder roads have paths, side streets get nothing. Trouble is drivers still treat the roads like a major road, not a back street, they are narrow, hilly and winding and not suitable for speeds over 40km/h, but try tell that to the wannabe race drivers.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby herzog » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:30 pm

herzog

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Why would you be on the aero bars whilst in a group, and on a road? He lacks emergency braking skills. I like pulling stoppies for no reason other than for the fun of it. But this dude wanted to do a front flip from the ground.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby Oxford » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 pm

What an idiot.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 am

Best reason to avoid the aerobars in any "traffic situation"... he flipped because he only had time to grab the front brakes. I find this is a problem when I'm on the trihard bars on my commuter, you have to leave an arm on the bars while you reach for the brake. Situation isn't quite as bad on the tops, but that's fraught with danger too :lol:
Xplora

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 am

You have to admit it was amusing to watch... :D
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:56 am

Gordonhooker wrote:You have to admit it was amusing to watch... :D

Not really. If you like it when people get hurt you have issues. He shouldn't have been on the aerobars and it was totally his fault but no, not amusing to me.
InTheWoods

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 am

InTheWoods wrote:

Not really. If you like it when people get hurt you have issues. He shouldn't have been on the aerobars and it was totally his fault but no, not amusing to me.

Well there you - obviously you didn't get the point or you got out of the wrong side of the bed. Keep you judgement BS to yourself.... :(
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:35 am

Gordonhooker wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:

Well there you - obviously you didn't get the point or you got out of the wrong side of the bed. Keep you judgement BS to yourself.... :(

Please explain what point you were making with your comment that it was "amusing to watch"?
biker jk

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:56 am

[quote="biker jk"

Please explain what point you were making with your comment that it was "amusing to watch"?[/quote]

I have had the pleasure of flipping forward like that on a bicycle and it all happens in slow motion, and it is amusing to watch from both the flippee and the one watching the flip. So you can also keep you veiled judgemental BS to yourself.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:00 pm

Gordon I've gone over the bars once, and it was not amusing to me either at the time or afterwards, and the pedestrian who saw it happen didn't find it amusing either. If you find it funny to see real people hurt themselves, possibly badly, then you have an issue. If you want to laugh about it to yourself, fine, but if you come on here and say its funny, be prepared for somebody to disagree with you.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheWoods

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:00 pm

Last time I did that the only things going through my mind were "uhhhh" and "not the bike!". :oops:

TT bikes are not designed to be used in a bunch context, they are designed for aero. I've ridden with a triathlete who rode his TT bike in the bunch and apart from cornering a bit slower than everyone else, it was fine... he kept his hands on the brakes the whole time. Even when taking a turn at the front, on a quiet straight path, hands on the bars.
Xplora

Postby rdp_au » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Well, if he'd been riding a recumbent bike, he would have been more aero, much more comfortable, and able to operate the brakes effectively, with virtually no possibility of going over the bars.

Sorry, just had to say it :-)

And, before someone asks, I have ridden in groups with standard bikes with few problems. Mine is a 'highracer' recumbent with 700c wheels. My body is about level with hips of the other riders and my head about chest height. I have no trouble staying in the draft, and neither do they, although they do note that there isn't as much draft behind me. I have to work a bit differently, pulling hard to stay in touch on the climbs, and backing off and coasting to stay behind, or avoid running off the front on the flat or downhill.
rdp_au

Postby wellington_street » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:52 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Why would you be on the aero bars whilst in a group, and on a road? He lacks emergency braking skills. I like pulling stoppies for no reason other than for the fun of it. But this dude wanted to do a front flip from the ground.

This guy was doing the cycling equivalent of driving along in an auto with his legs crossed on his seat, while tailgating :roll:
wellington_street

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:08 pm

wellington_street wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:Why would you be on the aero bars whilst in a group, and on a road? He lacks emergency braking skills. I like pulling stoppies for no reason other than for the fun of it. But this dude wanted to do a front flip from the ground.

This guy was doing the cycling equivalent of driving along in an auto with his legs crossed on his seat, while tailgating :roll:

^ now that's funny
BianchiCam

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 am

2 incidents this morning. a couple of minutes from home there's a bike in front of me. No lights (5:20am, still well and truly dark). I say "You really should get some lights". Response "I really don't give a ****"
right.

2nd one - under the kuriulpa bridge in brisbane is a shared path. some of it even has arrow directions showing which side to walk/ride on. A gaggle of women (3 to be exact) all walking directly towards me. All I could say was keep left please after shaking my head a few times.
jasonc

Postby Ignoto » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:16 pm

I guess the yanks take their helmet laws pretty seriously over there

Ignoto

Postby Blinding » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Ignoto wrote:I guess the yanks take their helmet laws pretty seriously over there

I love how the first officer and the what looks to be a civilian are able to take him down and the other 3 decide to jump on top and point a tazer at him....
Blinding

Postby outnabike » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:21 pm

I think I heard the cop yell. "He wasn't wearing Lycra)..... :)
outnabike

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 pm

This...is.not.how.you.walk.a.bloody.dog.ya.nong!

BianchiCam

Postby Oxford » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Its not that bad walking the dog using a bike, I see it a lot where I live, I used to do the same, the dog gets tired and I don't, its a great way to settle them down. The real kicker is when they tie the dog lead to the bike and not their wrist. Dog sees something of interest and runs of to the side, BAM, down you go. At least on your wrist you have time to react and correct. Same with people walking dogs and pushing prams. Pram gets dragged into traffic because the dog runs towards something.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 pm

If you must tie the dog to the bike, best place is the saddle rails. Close to the CoG, less risk of being dragged.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion