The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:09 pm

jasonc wrote:bike only ramp over the inner city bypass

Whereabouts is this?
wellington_street

by BNA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm

BNA

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm

wellington_street wrote:
jasonc wrote:bike only ramp over the inner city bypass

Whereabouts is this?

near spring hill, brisbane
jasonc

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 pm

jasonc wrote:near spring hill, brisbane

I'm not a Brisbane local so I'm curious - is it the land bridge next to the tennis courts?
wellington_street

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:27 pm

wellington_street wrote:
jasonc wrote:near spring hill, brisbane

I'm not a Brisbane local so I'm curious - is it the land bridge next to the tennis courts?

that's it
on the golf course side, one "ramp" is bike only
jasonc

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks mate
wellington_street

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:57 pm

here's a picture of the genius:

picture of sign:

jasonc

Postby Oxford » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:31 pm

I have to be honest and say it is the worst designed section of infrastructure I've ever used. Seven odd years ago when I was researching my commuting routes in before I began a job in the city, the complete lack of signage had me using the pedestrian path in the same manner that pedestrians use the bike path. Coming from Kelvin Grove end, there is nothing to say there is pedestrian access further along just as coming from the Herston side there is nothing to say there is bike access further along. However you discover the alternate paths when they converge or coming from Spring Hill where they split. However in saying that once you know, sheer laziness of pedestrians has them shortcut along the bike path to save walking an extra 200 to 300 metres which is understandable, but frustrating when they create a safety issue.

As for the police, they're just lazy and a waste of space. They can issue a ticket, they just couldn't be bothered.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Bah77 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:07 pm

jasonc wrote:picture of sign:
Even as a cyclist i would never look for a sign like that when i am walking and see a path.
Bah77

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 am

jasonc wrote:
fat and old wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Looking at the shadow, you have some serious flapping going on around your back. You rocking a batman cape or something? :lol:

had my gilet undone

Gilet? Undone?

Shoulda looked where you're from....sorry, I'm in Victoria.

Gilet undone.......I can dream of such things :lol:
fat and old

Postby human909 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 am

Seriously though. I don't see the great benefit to the public to be issuing a ticket for the odd pedestrian on a bike only ramp.

The more we obsess about rules the less we have concern about people.
human909

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:59 am

Oxford wrote:
As for the police, they're just lazy and a waste of space. They can issue a ticket, they just couldn't be bothered.

Thank Christ for that , other wise I would be in Jail just for reversing out of my driveway... :)
outnabike

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 am

fat and old wrote:Gilet? Undone?

Shoulda looked where you're from....sorry, I'm in Victoria.

Gilet undone.......I can dream of such things :lol:

4 degrees this morning. frozen toes. trust me. we have cold mornings up here
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:16 am

On this morning's run I was probably labelled the crazy jogging lady by the bike rider I told off for doing something dumb.

Mr Old-School Telstra jersey/jacket (with the orange and blue colours ala: http://companies-history.com/wp-content ... elstra.jpg ) flat bar commuting bike rider passed me while I was jogging on the MYT up the Boulie hill going towards Walmer Street. Guess who I saw in the bushes in his usual spot doing a bit of yellow watering? Yup. He pees there so often that he has worn a path into the bush. I know this guy's commute goes straight past the toilets at the CCF so stopping to pee only a couple of minutes later is just plain dumb. You aren't in a cycling race and you know exactly where the nearest public toilet is. Do the decent thing and pee in a proper toilet. :roll:

Anyway, as he was relieving himself I passed him. Further down the track when it kinks left to meet the Walmer Street bridge he overtakes me again... By going between me and the oncoming female jogger. Said oncoming jogger had to move so as not to be hit and threw her hands up in a "what the?" expression. Way, way too close and a very stupid move when you have brakes or could have overtaken off the path on the left OR the right. Instead you needlessly pushed through a small gap.

I shouted "Too close" at you at that time as I agreed with the oncoming jogger that your move was dangerous and needless. I don't think you heard. Lucky for you, you were stuck waiting at the traffic lights at the intersection of Walmer/Burnley and Victoria Streets... So I puffed my way up to you and told you about your dangerous overtake and that there was a toilet at the CCF that you should use instead of constantly stopping to pee in the same spot every time our paths meet.

Of course, there were two cyclists waiting in front of you at the lights who heard me politely tell you off and seemed to commiserate with you about the crazy jogging lady (one shook his head). Whatever. If Mr Telstra-commuter is on here, please be more courteous to fellow path users.

And to the salmon skateboarder in the bike lane this morning not looking where you were going: there are two perfectly good footpaths AND a bike lane going in the direction you wanted to go. Silly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ipXxWDsRs

(not that she'll read this)
Summernight

Postby nezumi » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:47 pm

I had an instance of silly cyclist on the way home on Thursday.

I was turning left on a tight turn in Ivanhoe Google Streetview. Car on my right, also turning left, and being a bit over-eager (rolling/edging forward). My attention was distracted by that, and making sure I didn't get cut off as I made my turn, that I failed to notice a pedestrian arrive to cross at the same lights. Lights go green, I take off uphill and swing wide as I realise the pedestrian is there. Stupid of me.

I also managed to inadvertantly run a red light, as it was a single set of lights split into two over train tracks Google Streetview. I was focussed on the far set, and managed to miss that the close set had gone red. I went through because the green arrow up ahead was light for the right hand turn. Ooops.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby Biffidus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
Biffidus wrote:You cut him off there. Lucky for you he had room to avoid the collision.

I'll take the heat. I can tell you there'd be no way in hell I'd do what he did.

That is true. It's easy to forget that most road users are fairly oblivious. I'd love to see the sort of threat spotting and defensive riding techniques they teach motorcyclists be part of broader road education (do they still do that in schools?). In South Australia at least the RiderSafe program led to a significant reduction in motorcyclist deaths according to the local motorcycle rider association.
Biffidus

Postby herzog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:23 pm

herzog

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:11 am

i adopted a dog this weekend. i was looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about letting them off the leash on shared paths, but it turns out you can't let greyhounds off the leash in public, at all. DAMN
jules21

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:28 pm

La Trobe Street separated bicycle lane (with concrete blocks). Friday night, at Melbourne Central a couple of pedestrians decided to step out onto the bike lane without looking, causing emergency braking by me and repeated shouts of "STOP!!" (also by me). The lady heard me first and stopped half over the bike lane, the guy came to within 30 centimetres of me before he stopped. No way to take evasive action with those concrete blocks there when I saw them about to step onto the bike lane, but luckily I had it under control and they did stop. An apology came from the guy and an exasperated "Please look" came from me and we went our separate ways.

This morning: Me ( :oops: )

I saw the garage door closing to the car park I wanted to get into, managed to sprint down the lane to get inside, ducked my head and got through... but completely forgot about my backpack and that it rises up when I duck my head. The backpack glanced off the garage door (which was rising back up by then due to me triggering the sensor) and sheepish me slapped my wrist for not taking into account the backpack.

... No garage doors or backpacks were harmed in the making of this stupidity. :P
Summernight

Postby kenwstr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 pm

jules21 wrote:i adopted a dog this weekend. i was looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about letting them off the leash on shared paths, but it turns out you can't let greyhounds off the leash in public, at all. DAMN

As it turns out, I had a fall on a shared path last Saturday due to a dog off leash. Thought I was going to be OK but it dashed in front at the critical moment. I did an emergency dead stop but failed to unclip. The owner made no attempt to control the animal and when I got moving, it did it again. Dam mutter mutter mutter....... Council has notices not to walk dogs on the path period but they are pretty much worn away.

Ken
kenwstr

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:34 am

Hope I didn't get closed as a dangerous cyclist this morning. Three or four people walking up ahead on the share path. One of which was over into the other side. Jogger also in front of me approaching the group. Rang my bell, as the jogger moves to overtake the group I slowed to wait my turn. As the jogger had passed the lady who had moved over for him moved back into my path and then took a startled leap to the left after realising there was someone else coming. At no point was I going to run into anyone and was probably going around 20km/h but given the jump in fright there is a fair chance it was 'my fault' according to the group.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 am

God forbid someone accept that walking in public is not a solitary or responsibility free activity. If you get that much of a fright, you clearly aren't paying enough attention. They wouldn't pull that crap on a public road. Stupid peds. :roll:
Xplora

Postby Oxford » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:56 am

Xplora wrote:God forbid someone accept that walking in public is not a solitary or responsibility free activity. If you get that much of a fright, you clearly aren't paying enough attention. They wouldn't pull that crap on a public road. Stupid peds. :roll:
Actually some would say its is someone else's responsibility and believe it.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:30 am

^^ maybe I'm reading too much into it! maybe the lady did actually think "I'm a bit dumb for not looking"

Me, started camera this morning, rolled out the drive and battery went flat. Thinking I haven't used it for a week, maybe I didn't charge enough before the last use... Nope, quick look at the footage just now and I have a good hour of the garage gradually getting dark.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:44 am

bychosis wrote:/snip

Nope, quick look at the footage just now and I have a good hour of the garage gradually getting dark.

:lol: No MMs or dumb peds in your garage I assume? ;)
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby RedlandSteve » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:42 am

I felt this overtake was poorly timed and executed. Strava segment must of been at stake.

RedlandSteve

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion