The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm

duncan16v wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Speed is measured by the cop pointing a radar at you - speeding is a strict liability offence & it doesn't matter if you don't know how fast you are going. If that worries you, fit a speedo. If like me you are old & fat & slow, keep calm & ride on.

Speaking as a fellow old and fat and slow rider, if I ever pick up a speeding ticket on m' bike, it's getting framed and going straight to the pool room.

If you give me $220, you can have mine

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 pm

fingy wrote:Cyclist ahead points to the ped path, ped too cool for ped path responds by
sticking his hand in the way and getting buzzed by following cyclists :roll:

Peds don't pay rego so we can't ID him by rego plates. Ergo we can't report him.

Peds should have to be registered. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Scott No Mates wrote:If riding with excessive speed is an offence, how is it measured if bikes don't have speedos? (Stravas etc excepted).

We don't have "driving dangerously" meters either. But you can still get booked.

"Excessive spped" to me would likewise be a judgement call and may represent a speed that in another situation would be acceptable.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Bike only pretty on the way home. In the dark and wet. Came around a corner and there's a kid maybe 3 running at us. Say What!
I suggest to the father (about 50m behind that it was a bike only path). He suggested i kiss him somewhere that may produce more intelligence than his mouth
Had one this morning too. Bike only path (pedestrian path is 10m to the right, goes to the same place), go around a blind corner. Half way around there's a pedestrian heading towards me. I gave him a character assessment

Robthommo

Postby Robthommo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Today 5.15pm Queens Pde Clifton Hill. Hipster dude riding eastbound with no helmet and over ear headphones.

It's idiots like this that give ammunition to drivers

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:16 am

Robthommo wrote:Today 5.15pm Queens Pde Clifton Hill. Hipster dude riding eastbound with no helmet and over ear headphones.

No helmet? He't fit right in in Europe, then, where they're not so hung up about forcing people to wear them. As for the headphones, that isn't necessarily a problem: are you suggesting that deaf or hearing impaired people shouldn't be cycling?

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:00 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Robthommo wrote:Today 5.15pm Queens Pde Clifton Hill. Hipster dude riding eastbound with no helmet and over ear headphones.

No helmet? He't fit right in in Europe, then, where they're not so hung up about forcing people to wear them. As for the headphones, that isn't necessarily a problem: are you suggesting that deaf or hearing impaired people shouldn't be cycling?

I think you are missing the point. The rider was flouting the law in the most obvious and blatant way by not wearing a helmet, and was reducing his own safety by shutting off his hearing from events around him. Motorists will see this and think "bloody cyclists" and we are all instantly tarred with the same brush - notwithstanding that he would probably not even be regarded as a cyclist by any definition users of this blog would identify with (with which users of this blog would identify?).

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:07 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:No helmet? He't fit right in in Europe, then, where they're not so hung up about forcing people to wear them.

Crying ass shame he's in Melbourne then :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 am

Philistine wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:

I think you are missing the point. The rider was flouting the law in the most obvious and blatant way by not wearing a helmet, and was reducing his own safety by shutting off his hearing from events around him. Motorists will see this and think "bloody cyclists" and we are all instantly tarred with the same brush - notwithstanding that he would probably not even be regarded as a cyclist by any definition users of this blog would identify with (with which users of this blog would identify?).

but on the scale of dumb, not wearing a helmet is pretty low. If' he had been riding the wrong way in traffic, he'd fit the bill pretty well.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 am

bychosis wrote:
but on the scale of dumb, not wearing a helmet is pretty low. If' he had been riding the wrong way in traffic, he'd fit the bill pretty well.

How about not wearing a helmet AND running into the back of a stationary bus? The poor guy paid the ultimate price - he died.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/cyclist- ... b88578848z

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 am

ball bearing wrote:
bychosis wrote:

How about not wearing a helmet AND running into the back of a stationary bus? The poor guy paid the ultimate price - he died.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/cyclist- ... b88578848z

The dumb bit was not looking where he was going (or riding to the conditions), not the lack of helmet.

Edit: I note that the hyperlink title is cyclist hit by bus. Some accurate reporting.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:20 pm

fat and old wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:No helmet? He't fit right in in Europe, then, where they're not so hung up about forcing people to wear them.

Crying ass shame he's in Melbourne then :lol:

Yes it is, isn't it? Only in Australia would people make such a fuss about someone not wearing a helmet while cycling. As bychosis said, there are far more important infractions you could focus on.
Last edited by Cyclophiliac on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Philistine wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:

I note you made no response to the question I posed in the last sentence of my post above. Care to comment on that?

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Philistine wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:No helmet? He't fit right in in Europe, then, where they're not so hung up about forcing people to wear them. As for the headphones, that isn't necessarily a problem: are you suggesting that deaf or hearing impaired people shouldn't be cycling?

I personally would never use earphones while riding. I like to hear when other road users are coming up behind me, and, if somebody is coming too close (say for a "punishment" pass), I believe I can hear the difference in sound, and I am ever so slightly forewarned.

I would never advocate banning someone from riding a bike because his hearing is impaired. Such a person would have a reduced margin of safety compared to the rest of us, and, if he is smart, he would take steps to minimize the problem - such as looking around a lot, using a mirror, and selecting his routes with care. I would also not support banning brainless idiots who deliberately reduce their safety margins by blocking their ears with headphones. If they want to put themselves at risk, let them get on with it. I just don't want people bracketing me with them because I ride a bike too.

Edit: forgot to close bracket.
Last edited by Philistine on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Philistine wrote:I just don't want people bracketing me with them because I ride a bike too.

Me neither, which is why my standard response to the calls of "cyclist x makes us all look bad" is "I'm not responsible for other cyclists' actions, so quit the generalising". Obviously, we only get this rubbish because cyclists are an outgroup, and as such, the actions of one person in the group is taken to be a reflection of the entire group.

cage

Postby cage » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Philistine wrote:I just don't want people bracketing me with them because I ride a bike too.

Me neither, which is why my standard response to the calls of "cyclist x makes us all look bad" is "I'm not responsible for other cyclists' actions, so quit the generalising". Obviously, we only get this rubbish because cyclists are an outgroup, and as such, the actions of one person in the group is taken to be a reflection of the entire group.

And yet on most, if not all, cycling forums cyclist do exactly the same thing with 'drivers'.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:08 pm

cage wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:

And yet on most, if not all, cycling forums cyclist do exactly the same thing with 'drivers'.

The overwhelming majority of cyclists contributing to this blog are also drivers. Are you seriously suggesting we like to heap excrement on ourselves? Most drivers are decent and considerate, and I have never read a post that suggests otherwise. That doesn't mean we can't post comments on the ones that are not.

cage

Postby cage » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Philistine wrote:The overwhelming majority of cyclists contributing to this blog are also drivers. Are you seriously suggesting we like to heap excrement on ourselves? Most drivers are decent and considerate, and I have never read a post that suggests otherwise. That doesn't mean we can't post comments on the ones that are not.

All you need to do is read some of the comments on cycling advocacy forums. There are plenty of cyclists who have a 'us & them' mentality & tar all drivers with the same brush.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:55 pm

cage wrote:
Philistine wrote:The overwhelming majority of cyclists contributing to this blog are also drivers. Are you seriously suggesting we like to heap excrement on ourselves? Most drivers are decent and considerate, and I have never read a post that suggests otherwise. That doesn't mean we can't post comments on the ones that are not.

All you need to do is read some of the comments on cycling advocacy forums. There are plenty of cyclists who have a 'us & them' mentality & tar all drivers with the same brush.

If drivers were better behaved, this wouldn't occur. Hell, I was going flat out up a short hill at near absolute sprinting effort (40km/h) to pass some parked cars and had some dumb fool in a sedan have to go racing past needlessly. I'm going full effort to avoid holding up the car, and it still does that?? Next time I'll just claim the lane at 10km/h and stuff them.

I mean really, not enough room for the driver to do that, and two, in 20m I would have moved over anyway. I was well in front, so wait your turn car driver! :evil:

cage

Postby cage » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 pm

And there are just as many d...h... cyclists on the road. Bike or car, makes no difference...its all to do with peoples attitudes towards other road users.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:31 pm

cage wrote:And there are just as many d...h... cyclists on the road. Bike or car, makes no difference...its all to do with peoples attitudes towards other road users.

I would disagree on that. The average DH doesn't choose to be part of an out group. You are more likely to find DHs in the unwashed masses or normalcy than than tiny percentage of abnormal recreation/sporting/transport pursuits.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 am

We all have our DH moments on the road

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:47 am

cage wrote:And there are just as many d...h... cyclists on the road.

I find that hard to believe. There are probably more "DH" drivers than cyclists of any kind.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:57 am

Biffidus wrote:
cage wrote:And there are just as many d...h... cyclists on the road.

I find that hard to believe. There are probably more "DH" drivers than cyclists of any kind.

Depends on your classification of a DH. I consider all riders that run reds, filter in low volume traffic, set Strava times on PSPs etc etc as DHs, so yes cyclists easily match it with motorist.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Came round a blind corner under bridge on the bike path in the evening and found a pedestrian on the far side against the railings, with their dog in a garden on the other side of the path ... with one of those long leads in between the two.

Lucky for everybody I was doing an appropriate speed and could pull up...

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”