The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:02 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Came round a blind corner under bridge on the bike path in the evening and found a pedestrian on the far side against the railings, with their dog in a garden on the other side of the path ... with one of those long leads in between the two.

Lucky for everybody I was doing an appropriate speed and could pull up...

at least they had their dog on a leash

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Trevtassie wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnL4fjMzsSU&feature=fvw

How would that go here :(

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:09 pm

warthog1 wrote:

It works in Oz, you just need to ramp it up a bit :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Plenty out on the paths today. Walking all the way across, walking on the right. the best was a couple of yappy terriers off leash that wanted to go me. I got one to chase me for a bit which was satisfying, but I don't think I got it to go far enough away from mummy. They really should have been on a leash, especially if they were keen to chase cyclists, the path was ridiculously busy today.

Oh,, and because it was busy I realised I hadn't put a bell on the new steed. Dumb me, makes life easier when approaching peds.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Came round a blind corner under bridge on the bike path in the evening and found a pedestrian on the far side against the railings, with their dog in a garden on the other side of the path ... with one of those long leads in between the two.

Lucky for everybody I was doing an appropriate speed and could pull up...

I had that happen once but didn't manage to stop in quite enough time. It was right on dusk with a dark leash and a dark dog. Grabbed the brakes, and sort of fortunately the lead was high enough that it caught the head tube of the bike rather than the wheel. Yanked the poor dog about a foot as the elastic limit of the leash was reached pretty rapidly. Owner was concerned about the dog, as was I, and he was a little sheepish saying he didn't realise the dog had crossed the path. Despite there being nobody around but him. Oh, and his phone 8)

Jim

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Spotted a guy on the sharepath this morning. Nice shiny cruiser bike, Dutch style. Kid in a seat on the back. Both sans helmet. Not dumb because they were in danger of death/injury, but dumb because the helmet less child was most likely waving a red flag to any passing police officer and could have resulted in $300+ each.

Adult riding solo isn't probably going to attract attention to most coppers, but 'endangering' a child? That's serious.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

It works in Oz, you just need to ramp it up a bit :wink:

lol :)

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Ummm....I think I was the Dumb cyclist today.....my pride was somewhat bruised during the incident :oops:

Went for a ride around the Barrangaroo (Syd) area today on the new VWR and at the time of my dumbness, was riding on the footpath :shock: going up Erskine Street heading towards Wynyard Station when i got to Kent Street intersection...well I reached out to hit the pedestrian button and then grabbed the pole to steady myself whilst sitting on the bike....I missed the pole :oops: and couldn't get my left foot off the pedal quick enough and went down like a bag of concrete...in the flamin' gutter, in the middle of the corner right in front of a whole lotta people who were walking up behind me....it was so embarrassing but those people were really nice....one girl gave me her hand to help me up, my computer came off so a guy handed it to me, another fella with his little daughter gave me back the coins that came out of my pocket, so i gave the little girl some coins to buy herself an icecream. They asked me if i'm ok....I said yeah i think so but my pride has taken a battering...the girls giggled but said no don't worry we won't tell anyone :lol:
So I walked the bike up to the station and took the train home...a bit stiff n sore....gonna have a bruised knee tomorrow I think but no bark off.....so i took my sorry butt back home riding very slowly from the station feeling gutted by my dumbness not to mention clumsiness....got home and a nice cold beer sorta fixed my day's dilemma.....my medicinal compound. It was a nice day down at the Harbour though...great day for a nice ride around the city...until....
Luckily my Ortliebs on the back protected the bike...not a scratch....phew!!
Had enough excitement for one day...going to bed zzzzzzz

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 am

brumby33 wrote:Ummm....I think I was the Dumb cyclist today.....my pride was somewhat bruised during the incident :oops:
brumby33

Thanks for sharing Brumby, you made me smile. We've all done something like that at some time.
Why is it that whenever you have a dumb stack, there are dozens of witnesses to double the shame?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 am

Totally wrong to punch the driver. The police should also release the video of the overtake so we can see why the cyclist was so upset that he followed the bus back to the depot

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/man-charged-alleged-bus-driver-assault-brisbane-depot/8857664
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 am

The cyclist clearly the culprit in swinging the first punch however being a bus driver myself, the worst thing that driver did was to step outside the bus, he should've stayed in his bus even if he got out of the driver's seat.(not a good thing to do as it's seen as counter aggression)
I myself would've motioned him to the driver's right side window to air his grievance with the option to slam the window shut if he became aggressive.
I would've then hit the emergency control button to have the police arrive...let them sort it out.
Nothing is worth a punch in the mouth from a hothead...whether on a bike or not.

It's not being a pussy...it's our policy and procedure.(Company rule)

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:20 pm

The chances are the bus driver did something pretty bad for the cyclist to follow him back to the depot. Also the driver had the doors open the instant he came to a stop and leapt off the platform in a manner that suggested he intended to teach this upstart cyclist a lesson. He wagged his finger in the cyclist's face, and, although the cyclist appeared to strike the first blow, the driver appeared to get the better of the exchange. The police should charge both of them or neither of them.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:15 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Totally wrong to punch the driver. The police should also release the video of the overtake so we can see why the cyclist was so upset that he followed the bus back to the depot

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/man-charged-alleged-bus-driver-assault-brisbane-depot/8857664

The guy should never have thrown a punch, we don't need that type of retaliation going on. HOWEVER, why isn't the driver or union official mentioning what happened to the lead up here? The Driver is being very discreet and the drivers union have an agenda to push (rightly so, the council needs to do better in protecting them) right now.

Neither party is innocent in this situation, I understand and empathise the sheer anger the cyclist will have had after possibly been run over, and I accept that no-one deserves to be clocked in the face for what I'm guessing was an mistake.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 pm

A measured response by the cyclist. Bus driver tried to kill the cyclist who responds by punching him in the face. I can't quibble with that.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Agree with brumby33, if I was the bus driver I wouldn't of got out either.

As it doesn't show the incident that the cyclist got upset about its not a balanced article. But regardless of what happened, it doesn't give one the right to punch.

BTY did you read the FB comments, there's a guy who says he's done 500 confrontations
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:05 pm

I guess he can claim he was provoked:

https://www.busaustralia.com/forum/view ... =5&t=63448

battler2

Postby battler2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:21 pm

i've been forcefully pushed out of a bike lane (with green paint) by a bus. not surprised really.

always have to remember that there are cameras on buses so you just won't get away with it and instead be charged with assault.

write a complaint to the bus company (knowing they have cameras on the buses, with time and bus route number so they can investigate). don't bother. it will be ignored.

almost killing a cyclist bears no charge. because, it didn't happen did it?

same goes for when car doors fling open in front of you (deliberately) and you have to take evasive action. well, it didn't hit you did it?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 pm

At this time all we have is a cyclist claiming that a driver put him in mortal danger. I've seen and heard far to many claims by agenda-driven drivers and riders that are a gross misrepresentation of the situation so until I know otherwise the cyclist was a twit with anger management issues.

A cyclist clearly DID assault a driver. That bit IS clear.

So why would any of us at this stage take side of the cyclist. Until we know that there is substance to the cyclists claim then we should just be very annoyed that one of our own has given cheap ammunition to the non-cycling haters. And a possible person who requires some anger management training as angry people are not always only angry when on a bike.

Philistine wrote:The chances are the bus driver did something pretty bad for the cyclist to follow him back to the depot. Also the driver had the doors open the instant he came to a stop and leapt off the platform in a manner that suggested he intended to teach this upstart cyclist a lesson. He wagged his finger in the cyclist's face, and, although the cyclist appeared to strike the first blow, the driver appeared to get the better of the exchange. The police should charge both of them or neither of them.

The chances are just as good that the cyclist is a reactionary with an agenda. As for the rest of your comment you must be seeing a different video than the one I see. I see both of them approaching each other, neither one at a rush, then some pointing and argument by both and then a punch thrown by the cyclist with no apparent cause - what we call these days a coward punch. I also don't see anything excessive in the drivers response, returning a punch before attempting to put the bloke in an arm lock, a fairly normal way to stop someone from further aggression and certainly not an over-reaction.

As for the incident that initiated it, we are none to wise at this time. But I point out that we see plenty of drivers that see things from an agenda driven POV, exaggerating or making up stories to match. We have plenty on this site who do similar and are no better than the bogan drivers like Swervin' Mervyn who calimed one thing but it all panned out that HE targetted the riders. (Google Mervyn hull road rage.) Or cyclist Soennecken some time back. Or the cyclist on this forum who created a fictional court decision to show how badly we are treated by the courts. (Google "Cyclist assaulted at Semaphore".)

biker jk wrote:A measured response by the cyclist. Bus driver tried to kill the cyclist who responds by punching him in the face. I can't quibble with that.

Yeah, right! See above. All we have atm is a driver making a measure response to an unprovoked attack by a cyclist. Anything furhter requires you to take the cyclist at his word. Because, as we all know, cyclists NEVER over-react and NEVER tell lies afterwards. It's only drivers do that. :roll:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Meh...,driver gave as good as he got. Which wasn't much.

Should have sold tickets, run a line. Make $100mill each :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:31 pm

fat and old wrote:Meh...,driver gave as good as he got. Which wasn't much.

Having been on the receiving end of dangerous behavior from bus drivers before, like others I have my suspicions that the driver just placed the cyclist's life in danger.
Pretty disappointed with what the cyclist dished out. At least take your cleated shoes off first so you have some purchase for a half way decent punch :roll:
There are parallels with the Mayweather v MacGregor fight I agree :lol:

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 am

Philistine wrote:The chances are the bus driver did something pretty bad for the cyclist to follow him back to the depot. Also the driver had the doors open the instant he came to a stop and leapt off the platform in a manner that suggested he intended to teach this upstart cyclist a lesson. He wagged his finger in the cyclist's face, and, although the cyclist appeared to strike the first blow, the driver appeared to get the better of the exchange. The police should charge both of them or neither of them.

The chances are just as good that the cyclist is a reactionary with an agenda. As for the rest of your comment you must be seeing a different video than the one I see. I see both of them approaching each other, neither one at a rush, then some pointing and argument by both and then a punch thrown by the cyclist with no apparent cause - what we call these days a coward punch. I also don't see anything excessive in the drivers response, returning a punch before attempting to put the bloke in an arm lock, a fairly normal way to stop someone from further aggression and certainly not an over-reaction.

As for the incident that initiated it, we are none to wise at this time.[quote]

You surely jest. On balance of probabilities it is far more probable (although not certain) that the bus driver did something potentially dangerous to the cyclist in the lead up to the filmed incident. It is also highly likely that what the bus driver did (or didn't do) is also on film - so why don't we get to see it?

BTW - a "coward" punch (used to be called a "king hit") is one delivered when the victim is not looking towards the assailant.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 am

Philistine wrote:
BTW - a "coward" punch (used to be called a "king hit") is one delivered when the victim is not looking towards the assailant.

Indeed! That phrase is thrown around like confetti these days. You can be in a stand up fight, face to face...but if you're knocked out it's a coward punch? :roll:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:28 am

warthog1 wrote:

Having been on the receiving end of dangerous behavior from bus drivers before, like others I have my suspicions that the driver just placed the cyclist's life in danger.

I share your suspicions.

Cleats can do a lot of damage used correctly on the shin, btw :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:

Pretty disappointed with what the cyclist dished out. At least take your cleated shoes off first so you have some purchase for a half way decent punch :roll:
There are parallels with the Mayweather v MacGregor fight I agree :lol:

There's a famous incident in Sydney where a cyclist that was nearly killed by a motorist caught up with him. The driver had his window wound down so the cyclist punched him in the face and then grabbed the car keys and tossed them in a drain before riding off. The police have never found this cyclist. :lol:

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”