The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

warthog1

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 pm

biker jk wrote:
There's a famous incident in Sydney where a cyclist that was nearly killed by a motorist caught up with him. The driver had his window wound down so the cyclist punched him in the face and then grabbed the car keys and tossed them in a drain before riding off. The police have never found this cyclist. :lol:

I hadn't heard of it.
Thankyou though, that's just given me a lift. :oops: :D

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:55 pm

NASHIE wrote:Depends on your classification of a DH. I consider all riders that run reds, filter in low volume traffic, set Strava times on PSPs etc etc as DHs, so yes cyclists easily match it with motorist.

No, it doesn't. I suggested that the number of DH motorists is larger than the total number of cyclists. Are you suggesting that the number of DH cyclists is somehow more than the total number of cyclists?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:35 am

Biffidus wrote:
NASHIE wrote:Depends on your classification of a DH. I consider all riders that run reds, filter in low volume traffic, set Strava times on PSPs etc etc as DHs, so yes cyclists easily match it with motorist.

No, it doesn't. I suggested that the number of DH motorists is larger than the total number of cyclists. Are you suggesting that the number of DH cyclists is somehow more than the total number of cyclists?

If think the numbers will be markedly different, but the proportions of DH to not DH are probably the same across all walks of life.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BJL

Postby BJL » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:51 am

The rules of DH'ism on Australian roads.

1 - ALL cyclists are DH's
2 - NO motorist is a DH unless called a DH by another motorist.
3 - If a cyclist calls a motorist a DH, refer to rule 1
4 - Everyone else is a DH.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am

But all cyclists think that everyone who drives, will drive or did drive is a DH. We're a planet full of DH's! :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:00 pm

fat and old wrote:We're a planet full of DH's! :lol:

Never a truer word spoken ;)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 pm

biker jk wrote:
There's a famous incident in Sydney where a cyclist that was nearly killed by a motorist caught up with him. The driver had his window wound down so the cyclist punched him in the face and then grabbed the car keys and tossed them in a drain before riding off. The police have never found this cyclist. :lol:

OK I don't live in Sydney, but I've never heard of it.
You wouldn't happen to be said cyclist would you? 8)

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:10 pm

fat and old wrote:But all cyclists think that everyone who drives, will drive or did drive is a DH. We're a planet full of DH's! :lol:

I recall an article that suggested the general DH ratio in any human population was 1:10. So 10% of motorists are DH's, 10% of cyclists are DH's, and if anti-grav flying surfboards are invented, 10% of them will be DH's. If a particular population becomes stereotypically associated with the state of DHhood, as the theory goes, it is due to the numerical predominance of the population.
Go!Run!GAH!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:
fat and old wrote:But all cyclists think that everyone who drives, will drive or did drive is a DH. We're a planet full of DH's! :lol:

I recall an article that suggested the general DH ratio in any human population was 1:10. So 10% of motorists are DH's, 10% of cyclists are DH's, and if anti-grav flying surfboards are invented, 10% of them will be DH's. If a particular population becomes stereotypically associated with the state of DHhood, as the theory goes, it is due to the numerical predominance of the population.

I think 10% is a very conservative number :lol:

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:55 pm

But what of the Sub-group of DH who both drive and ride then take up flying surfboards?
I really should take up cycling!

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 am

Extreme high security on this bike...

Yes, that's a chain, tied in a knot.

Note also the instructions for the bike still cable tied to the seat stay.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Might be dumb`n`disguntled old farmers peds on road who got fed up with not having to getting across the road during cycling road race in harvest time.
More info in UK Telegraph link. Stick-wielding farmers attack cyclists during Scottish borders road race

Cyclists taking part in a road race through the mountains of the Scottish borders were attacked by elderly men brandishing sticks who tried to block their path.

The two men, thought to be in their 70s, were both dressed in tweed and flat caps and were said to be local farmers protesting at the road closures preventing them from getting between their fields during the harvest.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:50 pm

A lady on an E-bike doing 35kmh. When I asked her if it was legal she said she was only doing 25kmh. I told her I was doing 35kmh to keep up and her reply was "I have strong legs". :roll: She and her bike looked familiar. I had seen her a few weeks earlier in Centennial Park doing over 35kmh and then flying up one of the hills to exit the park.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:10 pm

biker jk wrote:A lady on an E-bike doing 35kmh. When I asked her if it was legal she said she was only doing 25kmh. I told her I was doing 35kmh to keep up and her reply was "I have strong legs". :roll: She and her bike looked familiar. I had seen her a few weeks earlier in Centennial Park doing over 35kmh and then flying up one of the hills to exit the park.

What will be really annoying is when they start classifying accidents with these as motorcycle accidents and our premiums go up...

uart

Postby uart » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:49 pm

If she was otherwise riding safely, then I don't see any issue with her doing 35 km/h. I often ride about that speed on my non electric bike, and so do most other riders.

And btw, you can pedal them faster than the governed speed limit, you just lose the assist. I had a couple of riders having a go at me for riding an ebike (that I had borrowed from a friend to try out) at about 35 km/hr. Apparently they got butt hurt because I passed them (safely) on the cycleway. They had pretty red faces when I showed them that the assist wasn't even turned on at the time. I actually had it turned off completely - right back at the switch on battery!

TBH though, I do think that the 25 km/h speed limit is too low. On another ebike that I tested (a slower upright "Dutch" style one) you couldn't even ride it comfortably at 25 km/h because it kind of "hunted" on and off at that point, so I really had to stick to about 22 km/hr to get reasonably smooth assistance. Totally ridiculous, I ride with a group of mostly over 60 y.o. riders and, and we still ride a lot faster than that.

These bikes are heavy and slow to pedal, and because they're often ridden by not so fit riders, it's not really that easy to pedal them over 25 km/hr without the assist. The upshot is that with a legal ebike you might not even keep up with a bunch of very casual (not racers) over 60 y.o. riders.

So I can totally understand why people hack the speed limiters on these things!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:39 pm

uart wrote:If she was otherwise riding safely, then I don't see any issue with her doing 35 km/h. I often ride about that speed on my non electric bike, and so do most other riders.

And btw, you can pedal them faster than the governed speed limit, you just lose the assist. I had a couple of riders having a go at me for riding an ebike (that I had borrowed from a friend to try out) at about 35 km/hr. Apparently they got butt hurt because I passed them (safely) on the cycleway. They had pretty red faces when I showed them that the assist wasn't even turned on at the time. I actually had it turned off completely - right back at the switch on battery!

TBH though, I do think that the 25 km/h speed limit is too low. On another ebike that I tested (a slower upright "Dutch" style one) you couldn't even ride it comfortably at 25 km/h because it kind of "hunted" on and off at that point, so I really had to stick to about 22 km/hr to get reasonably smooth assistance. Totally ridiculous, I ride with a group of mostly over 60 y.o. riders and, and we still ride a lot faster than that.

These bikes are heavy and slow to pedal, and because they're often ridden by not so fit riders, it's not really that easy to pedal them over 25 km/hr without the assist. The upshot is that with a legal ebike you might not even keep up with a bunch of very casual (not racers) over 60 y.o. riders.

She was hardly pedaling. It is an illegally modified E-bike. She almost crashed into the kerb exiting a small roundabout because of her speed and her motorbike's poor handling.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 pm

uart wrote:If she was otherwise riding safely, then I don't see any issue with her doing 35 km/h. I often ride about that speed on my non electric bike, and so do most other riders.

25km/h is probably more than fast enough. Anything more defeats the purpose of riding those upright style bikes. Aren't you supposed to only be going slowly on those? I'll leave it to our Dutch cycling advocates to take over and tell you why you shouldn't be worrying about keeping up with very casual 60 year old riders. :wink:

Personally I don't really care that much about e-bikes. Just ride at suitable speeds for the conditions and for what the bike is suited to.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:59 am

It could be worse... she could be on one of those petrol powered smokey motorised bicycles which the police seem to ignore... or she could be driving poorly in an illegally modified car...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 am

Biffidus wrote:It could be worse... she could be on one of those petrol powered smokey motorised bicycles which the police seem to ignore..

there's one of those on facebook bicycle market at the moment - it's in Adelaide too. i just checked. they are 100% illegal in SA (as well as NSW, VIC and QLD)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 am

You never know what a person is actually doing, and it is easy to over react. I was walking my bike through a market last week and this stall holder sitting in his chair says...... "Some people don't like to peddle"
He saw my dynamo hub providing power to the front and back light as I past, just walking along.

Now why would a stranger say that to and old bloke with a bike?

I backed up a couple of metres and it was a bloke of around 20 years of age, I am in my 70's and even if it was a motorised bike, wouldn't I be doing ok just cycling around busy Dandenong?

I just laughed and told him it had a motor alright but the motor was me, and coming from a bloke sitting on his arse, was a laugh.

See now I was mean.....He might have been an A Grade cyclist and I in-turn allowed my biased perceptions get the better of me.

So I now see that I should have just belted him with the bike pump and left it at that. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Not sure if I will get flamed or this or not.
So just wanted peoples thoughts on this bunch of 16 riders along Nicklin Way on Saturday morning heading towards Mooloolaba.
The only buch riding I do is with folks I know well with plenty of warnings, signals and basically giving consideration to any other riders.
This 'group' did pretty much sod all as far as I could tell.
Even after giving fair warning I needed to pass the upcoming parked car and with a spare lane on their right. They still barrel along past.
Was I correct in calling them out.
Count how many riders are still to pass after the white ute clears us and there is a full lane on the right.
Funnily enough only one 'Alpha Male' on a Trek wanted to gob off at me when I stopped at the next set of lights.
The rest stayed diplomatically silent.
Saw Mr Trek peel off shortly after. Not sure if he was headed 'home' or he was asked to remove himself from the group.
Better off taking my chances in the hills (although a rider was hit and run on Steve Irwin Way today (Sunday 24th Sept 2017)
Drop the volume in delicate company
Shaun

More vids here. Updated daily! https://www.facebook.com/b.e.m.motorists/#

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 pm

I would have called slowing early enough to the others behind me and called to you to go, if it were me.

I don't see many bunch rides at all on the roads around here. Tends to be one or two riders at most.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 pm

After that first rider shaved past, i was expecting a couple more. Not 16 in a train and certainly not so close when there was a vacant lane.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 am

BianchiCam wrote:Not sure if I will get flamed or this or not.

You shouldn't. Poor form. It happens occasionally to me down on the peninsula during summer too.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 am

Mr Alpha Males attitude is what really riled me. Just imagine. This selfish twat drives too.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”