The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Ross

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am

Overeaction by BianchiCam. He could of slowed down and waited for the riders to go past, though he might not of known how many were coming past until they had finished going past. Calling random strangers !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and whatever else (whether they are or not is beside the point) and then continuing to mouth off at them is just asking for trouble and is lucky things didn't escalate beyond Mr Trek having a few words to say back.

The group (at least the front guy) could/should of called "passing on the right" or similiar. The guys near the middle to end of the bunch probably wouldn't of seen the hand signal from BC. The group wouldn't neccessarily know that the lane next to them was vacant without turning their heads to look and then risk running into the guy in front or hitting debris/pothole.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 am

Ross wrote:Overeaction by BianchiCam. He could of slowed down and waited for the riders to go past, though he might not of known how many were coming past until they had finished going past. Calling random strangers !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and whatever else (whether they are or not is beside the point) and then continuing to mouth off at them is just asking for trouble and is lucky things didn't escalate beyond Mr Trek having a few words to say back.

The group (at least the front guy) could/should of called "passing on the right" or similiar. The guys near the middle to end of the bunch probably wouldn't of seen the hand signal from BC. The group wouldn't neccessarily know that the lane next to them was vacant without turning their heads to look and then risk running into the guy in front or hitting debris/pothole.

I disagree. It was a totally dangerous overtaking of a slower rider approaching a forseeable squeeze point. The lead rider accelerated to overtake and should have seen the parked car and moved to the middle lane. His acceleration then pressured the other riders to follow in the dangerous overtake like lemmings.

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:46 am

Yep bunch of twats. The first guy was an idiot and the rest just followed his lead. Sorry if that was you :) But it's true, you are ;)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 am

In my opinion it's always the responsibility of the overtaking rider(s) to make sure that there is enough space at pinch points (otherwise don't overtake).

The lead rider had plenty of distance before the pinch point, so that aspect was not at issue, but he didn't really have room to squeeze by BianchiCam with the 4WD to the side in that narrow cycle lane. That overtake was a probably a bit too close for an unannounced pass.

The later riders in the bunch need to assess the pinch point and leave enough room for the rider being overtaken. Personally in that situation (where the obstacle ahead is clear for all to see) I will just slowly start moving over (no sudden swerve of course) starting about 25m before the obstacle. Line of riders to the outside or no, I consider it their responsibility to avoid collision.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:22 pm

g-boaf wrote: 25km/h is probably more than fast enough. Anything more defeats the purpose of riding those upright style bikes. Aren't you supposed to only be going slowly on those? I'll leave it to our Dutch cycling advocates to take over and tell you why you shouldn't be worrying about keeping up with very casual 60 year old riders. :wink:

Personally I don't really care that much about e-bikes. Just ride at suitable speeds for the conditions and for what the bike is suited to.

The only problem that I have with the 25km/h limit is that it makes it hard for stronger riders to ride with weaker riders. I'm a D-grade rider - so not that good - and I've considered buying an e-bike for my wife so that we can go on decent rides together. I thought that it would be perfect for making sure that we could ride together at a good pace.

The trouble is that I'd be wanting to be going at 30-35 km/h on the flat, and she wouldn't be able to keep up, and she'd be leaving me for dead up any hill.

So we just go out on our flat bar bikes and pootle at 20km/h and I get my "exercise" riding elsewhere.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 pm

RobertL wrote:
The only problem that I have with the 25km/h limit is that it makes it hard for stronger riders to ride with weaker riders. I'm a D-grade rider - so not that good - and I've considered buying an e-bike for my wife so that we can go on decent rides together. I thought that it would be perfect for making sure that we could ride together at a good pace.

The trouble is that I'd be wanting to be going at 30-35 km/h on the flat, and she wouldn't be able to keep up, and she'd be leaving me for dead up any hill.

So we just go out on our flat bar bikes and pootle at 20km/h and I get my "exercise" riding elsewhere.

Then you have a problem that I have seen too many times. People not understanding how to handle a bike going faster than 25. That comes with experience (and fitness). I've had a go at a few unregistered motorbike riders who have no idea how their riding was affecting the people around them. 25 is perfect

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm

IME 25km/h is about max for any riding with peds around, more than that and I'd imagine the braking on a heavy e-bike would start to become a problem.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 am

jasonc wrote:Then you have a problem that I have seen too many times. People not understanding how to handle a bike going faster than 25.

I honestly have no idea how you came to that conclusion, and I do not understand the point that you are trying to make.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:05 am

RobertL wrote:
jasonc wrote:Then you have a problem that I have seen too many times. People not understanding how to handle a bike going faster than 25.

I honestly have no idea how you came to that conclusion, and I do not understand the point that you are trying to make.

Best way to describe it: It's like giving a p plater a Ferrari and telling them to drive it at no more than 40km/h everywhere. Some Will do it. Most Will try and break through the sound barrier with little or no experience on how to handle it

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Ever since BCC moved the removed the bikepath coming into South Bank from Kangaroo Point (to avoid "conflict" with pedestrians - i.e. pedestrians using the bike path after crossing from Vulture Street), I've been regularly annoyed by muppets coming out onto the road from the bike path, not looking to see if any cyclists are coming down the road, and keeping right (making it less than relaxing to pass them) as they want to go over the Goodwill Bridge. It shouldn't be that hard. Look before you pull out, ride on the left, then look again, indicate, and move right. :roll:

This guy, however, took the cake:

All over BOTH sides of the road, earphones in, he had no idea I was there. He did indicate, but FFS...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:17 pm

:lol: that dude was classic.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Not sure if I will get flamed or this or not.
So just wanted peoples thoughts on this bunch of 16 riders along Nicklin Way on Saturday morning heading towards Mooloolaba.
The only buch riding I do is with folks I know well with plenty of warnings, signals and basically giving consideration to any other riders.
This 'group' did pretty much sod all as far as I could tell.
Even after giving fair warning I needed to pass the upcoming parked car and with a spare lane on their right. They still barrel along past.
Was I correct in calling them out.
Count how many riders are still to pass after the white ute clears us and there is a full lane on the right.
Funnily enough only one 'Alpha Male' on a Trek wanted to gob off at me when I stopped at the next set of lights.
The rest stayed diplomatically silent.
Saw Mr Trek peel off shortly after. Not sure if he was headed 'home' or he was asked to remove himself from the group.
Better off taking my chances in the hills (although a rider was hit and run on Steve Irwin Way today (Sunday 24th Sept 2017)
Drop the volume in delicate company
Shaun

They probably should have formed a 2 abreast bunch and claimed the other lane.
I don't know how much driver outrage that would cause there though.
They could have given more room but I wouldn't have sworn at them and then continued the argument when I caught up with them.
I thought the response from Mr Trek was on the sedate side of what could be expected :|
Anyway you are still brave bianchiCam and glad to see this post :)
I thought you may have gone under a truck or something from those vids you used to post in the past.
Have you moved to Qld now?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:16 pm

I agree its poor form for those riders not to move over to give you space to pass the parked cars. Also from the video it looks some rode in the door zone with cars immediately to their right. In particular one rider was the worse. The bunch should of moved out as a group into the car lane and rode past 2 a breast. And there was no calling etc etc etc. The mixed lycra suggests that it was probably not an organised group rather a bunch of friends.

I did notice that the last few riders moved over a little despite not being advised of your presence by the riders in front
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:They probably should have formed a 2 abreast bunch and claimed the other lane.
I don't know how much driver outrage that would cause there though.
They could have given more room but I wouldn't have sworn at them and then continued the argument when I caught up with them.
I thought the response from Mr Trek was on the sedate side of what could be expected :|
Anyway you are still brave bianchiCam and glad to see this post :)
I thought you may have gone under a truck or something from those vids you used to post in the past.
Have you moved to Qld now?

I reckon if it was not for my ride eye mirror I would have gone under a truck many moons ago mate.
Yet moved up from Mt Martha to Caloundra in Feb 2017
Finally did THE MOVE north after years of meaning to.
Unfortunately even having a state with a safe pass rule does not mean the Police will do their jobs though.

Watch this space. I have a handful of cases currently 'in the process'
More vids here. Updated daily! https://www.facebook.com/b.e.m.motorists/#

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:59 pm

BianchiCam wrote:

I reckon if it was not for my ride eye mirror I would have gone under a truck many moons ago mate.
Yet moved up from Mt Martha to Caloundra in Feb 2017
Finally did THE MOVE north after years of meaning to.
Unfortunately even having a state with a safe pass rule does not mean the Police will do their jobs though.

Watch this space. I have a handful of cases currently 'in the process'

I am jealous. The winters here suck :(
You did the right thing.

Good luck with your cases. I'll keep an eye out. :)

member054

Postby member054 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:55 am

I've been looking for this thread :)

A recent experience for me - with the family in the car at University of QLD St. Lucia campus on the outer road (a busy vehicle, pedestrian & cyclist area with low speed limit (30km/h limit I think?)), sportive cyclist passes on our left between us & parked cars and yells through our open windows "You've got suspension!!!!!!!" when we slow down for speed humps.

If you read this sir, you're not helping improve anyone's attitude towards cyclists.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 pm

member054 wrote:I've been looking for this thread :)

A recent experience for me - with the family in the car at University of QLD St. Lucia campus on the outer road (a busy vehicle, pedestrian & cyclist area with low speed limit (30km/h limit I think?)), sportive cyclist passes on our left between us & parked cars and yells through our open windows "You've got suspension!!!!!!!" when we slow down for speed humps.

If you read this sir, you're not helping improve anyone's attitude towards cyclists.

40 km/h limit. But you are right, that cyclist is a jerk. Surely every cyclist knows that we are faster than motor vehicles over those large, table-top style speed bumps? And that it's one of the enjoyable things about cycling?!

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 pm

30kmh limit.

Had a cyclist try overtake me on my left when parking on that same road, a few years ago. Can clearly remember the "oh sh!!t" :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 pm

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 pm

RobertL wrote:Surely every cyclist knows that we are faster than motor vehicles over those large, table-top style speed bumps? And that it's one of the enjoyable things about cycling?!

Pretty much over all bumps cyclists are faster. (Though ones with a high angle of attack need a front wheel lift.)

You see we have something that few cars have. Long travel suspension with instantly adjustable stiffness and shock absorption. A low unstrung mass and light suspension (arms and legs) means that you can roll over a hump with your body mass barely moving.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:26 pm

jasonc wrote:https://www.strava.com/activities/1198470686
Read the comments

:lol: Needs to get a life

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Read the comments

Yep - this popped up in my facebook feed earlier. :o

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Read the comments

Send some pro riders along those segments or some of the quick Euro riders who spend all their time riding in the mountains.

Ride somewhere where the leader boards have names like Nibali, Dombrowski, David López, on them then you don't care about the KOMs because they are so far out of reach you'll never get anywhere near them.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:33 pm

I can't get over the 'my KOMs' remark. Sorry mate if you're a member of this forum, but that is just sad.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Read the comments

He has had a bit of a tantrum true.
The sustained attack on him got old a few comments in though.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”