Australian Bicycle Insurance

merlin6014

Re: Bicycle Insurance

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 am

Aushiker wrote: Pretty pointless insurance if your plan is to be protected when you are actually using your bicycle. I would stick to using your savings to pay for your Velosure insurance :wink:
Andrew
Yes thats what I've done - I have Velosure AND Coles home insurance.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 pm

merlin6014 wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Pretty pointless insurance if your plan is to be protected when you are actually using your bicycle. I would stick to using your savings to pay for your Velosure insurance :wink:
Andrew
Yes thats what I've done - I have Velosure AND Coles home insurance.
Yep I know that, however, I don't believe it is necessarily the the best option ... there are competitors out there that provide household cover and bike insurance (in use/racing) that are likely to be better priced. I know that I have minimum contents insurance and my bikes (four) covered without the Velosure hassle for less than what Velosure charge to just insure the bikes. My case may not be the norm because of the four bikes but even testing the option with one bike I am still pretty much in front IIRC.

I just cannot see the point in having to have two insurance polices and to deal with two insurance companies and possibly find myself fighting for coverage in the case of a loss where they both cover the same event (read a claim form ... you often are asked about other cover).

Not the best option in my view. YMMV of course.

Andrew

Andrew

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Agree with the above... Double coverage can present nightmares in terms of loss and who's liability it is...

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Not arguing but velosure for me is 200p.a, coles home insurance is 1000p.a. How would velosure even know i also have home insurance? If double cover is an issue i can just remove the bike from my coles policy, it costs nothing anyway.

Not sure how i can do better when gio was 2400p.a plus extra $$$ to list the bikes. By all means i am open to stories/other experiences.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:28 pm

merlin6014 wrote:Not arguing but velosure for me is 200p.a, coles home insurance is 1000p.a. How would velosure even know i also have home insurance? If double cover is an issue i can just remove the bike from my coles policy, it costs nothing anyway.

Not sure how i can do better when gio was 2400p.a plus extra $$$ to list the bikes. By all means i am open to stories/other experiences.
That is cheap

velosure is $75 a month for me ( 2 bikes and a set of race wheels - value about 12k)
velosure is $12 a month for wife (1 bike)
contents is $200 a month (also includes 2 cars worth $45k and $12k)

I am thinking of dumping the bike insurance for the wifes bike and my mountain bike.

bmarx78

Postby bmarx78 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi Clown boy

Who you with?

Cheers
ClownBoy wrote:
Alycat wrote:Your contents insurance covers you whilst out riding? Who is it with?
HBA.

I asked 3 times. Then gave examples - before I would believe. This was accross 3 calls with 2 different consultants.

My examples where:
1 - If my bike was stolen while at home or at work or anywhere else, would I be covered? She said yes
2 - What if it wasn't locked up properly or they ran off with the lock and I had no proof of the lock. She said not a problem as far as she can tell but she wouldn't want to push the unlocked part as it could cause a problem
3 - I said what if I am riding and am hit by a car, am I covered? She said yes
4 - I said what about my helmet, etc. She said they, same as the bike itself, are all portable possessions so these rules apply to all of it. In fact, she said they do not distinguish between these (including the actual bike) and my mobile phone, for example. If my mobile is lost or stolen - they will cover it.
5 - I said what if I ride into a wall. She said I am covered.

I do know I am in a high level of cover so am not sure if that changes the rules. For example, instead of having to name and describe everything over $x - and therefore pay more insurance for those things - I am covered for anything valued at up to $20k. Without paying extra.

So I don't pay a higher premium for having the bike.

I was quite happy.

That being said - not covered while racing.