Tailights

grub

Re: Tailights

Postby grub » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:14 pm

surprised the Cateye TL - LD1100 hasn't cracked a mention... so it has now. I have 2 (on different bikes) and have bought them for other people... They seem to work, and I like the fact you can set the 2 rows of leds to different flashing patterns.

Battery life is good, no complaints, but now I have upgrade envy... and the dollar is good. Dinotte you say...

WonkyWheels

Postby WonkyWheels » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I have the TL - LD1100 and superflash. The Cateye is noticeable brighter with more surface area and better side visibility.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm about to get the LD1100, good to hear it gets a good wrap.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

triode

Postby triode » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Can this Cateye LD1100 clip into sadle bag or clothes?
How this compare to Blackburn Mars 4.0?

Thanks

neild

Postby neild » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm currently using a Cateye 5 LED light (the long ones, not sure which?) attached to the back of my helmet and 2 Superflash knockoffs that I got from Velogear. Not sure on their longevity by time will tell. When all are flashing I think I'm pretty noticeable. Though those Dinotte lights look pretty good, especially with the $A at the moment.

Anybody have the front lights from Dinotte? I was looking at DealExtreme but now there's another option to consider.

I also saw someone with one of those Fibre Flares (I think that's what their called) today on my drive to work this morning (someone ran up the back of me the other week so now I have to run around getting quotes! Another reason I hate driving to work!). They had is strapped to their back pack and it looked pretty good, very noticable. Anyone else have them?
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

Zoiks

Postby Zoiks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Running a cateye 3 led front and back setup from wiggle.

Those ones look fantastic, but a bit out of my pricerange
Current bike: 2003 Giant TCR2 w/ full 105

toofat

Postby toofat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 am

Baalzamon wrote:
toofat wrote:Has anyone tried running a pair of ay ups with the red saxon caps as a rear light, if you already have a spare battery the light pair would be $121 plus caps $5.50 plus a mounting system
How about next night ride I set my helmet mounted up on my rack as a test as I have the saxon caps.
brilliant :D

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Fibre flairs had one.. and the silicon strap broke.. Haven't used it since and purchases since then far better.. wasn't much good in the rain

slowflow

Postby slowflow » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:47 pm

I am using the 900 lumen dealextreme front light which lights the path well atleast 10 meters infront. Been using it for for about 3 months, no problems. The output is below 900 lumen but still very bright.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 pm

neild wrote: I also saw someone with one of those Fibre Flares (I think that's what their called) today on my drive to work this morning (someone ran up the back of me the other week so now I have to run around getting quotes! Another reason I hate driving to work!). They had is strapped to their back pack and it looked pretty good, very noticable. Anyone else have them?
A guy had one on our bunch ride this morning. Light output was average, much the same as any other light. May be an advantage in the places/ways you can mount it.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:43 am

slowflow wrote:I am using the 900 lumen dealextreme front light which lights the path well atleast 10 meters infront. Been using it for for about 3 months, no problems. The output is below 900 lumen but still very bright.
some measured it to be 600 lumen in practice. Still very good for that price.

How long did you have to wait for the Dealextreme parcel to arrive though?

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 am

neild wrote: I also saw someone with one of those Fibre Flares (I think that's what their called) today on my drive to work this morning (someone ran up the back of me the other week so now I have to run around getting quotes! Another reason I hate driving to work!). They had is strapped to their back pack and it looked pretty good, very noticable. Anyone else have them?
I got one, not completely sure on them yet. You can only really mount them on the tubes of your bike, I found I just stuck to my old superflash on the back of my bike because it gives you better visibility from all angles. The amount of flashing surface area of the fibreflares is good, much larger than a normal taillight though.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Perhaps the ultimate in overkill for a bicycle headlight:

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php ... ter=031310

Low mode is 700 Lumens (6 hours)

High mode is 2200 Lumens (70 minutes)

Strobe 2200 Lumens (2.5 hours)

With those sorts of specifications, let me put it into perspective for you:

Low Mode:

High Mode:

Strobe:
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:45 am

I wants one to strap to me helmet for the commute :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

humpy125

Postby humpy125 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 am

I'm using a Sturmey Archer 6v Dynohub with a steady beam front and rear, while you are moving, otherwise off. I am thinking of upgrading now as the unit has paid for itself, I think it cost 1`6 in 1952. Besides the globes blow when you pick up too much speed. :D

slowflow

Postby slowflow » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Dealextreme can take up to 2 weeks depending on delivery options.
There is a helmet mount & bar mount option.
Battery pack & lead 198 grams, haevn't weighed the light but expect about 50 grams.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:23 pm

I put two of those Blackburn mars 4.0 tailights onto a tubus cosmo.

Only had them a few days and been on one ride but im very happy with them. They are small, bright and look to be well made. Run on two AAA's. I also like the idea of redundancy which is why I went for two smaller lights instead of one large[B&M or something]. The purpose built rack mounts that come with them dont fit the 50mm spacing of tubus racks, allthough I was able to mount them using one half of the mounting system. Used extra washers and it seems solid.

For about 25bucks each I think they are great value. Got mine from wiggle.

cheers

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I wants one to strap to me helmet for the commute :P
You're just winding up Dac. :wink:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=25613

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi

Peter Heal, PoitAroundOz, is pretty impressed with the initial performance of his Tioga Dual Eyes. So another one to through into the mix.

Regards
Andrew

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:46 pm

My Cherrybomb was nicked in Gawler on my recent holiday. Forgot to take the little bugger off the bike before I put it on the rack on the car. And the bike was right outside the bike shop. I bet someone went in and asked for a mount only. :)

Dac

Postby Dac » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Anyone know where you can get one of those flashies the Formula 1 cars use in the wet? Look the goods for the wet rides to work

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Peter Heal, PoitAroundOz, is pretty impressed with the initial performance of his Tioga Dual Eyes. So another one to through into the mix.

Regards
Andrew
Nice light for dry conditions, but from experiecne those clamps are rubbish unfortunately. The screw that tightens the hose clamp is soft plastic and strips easily. Becasue of the distance from the seatpost the fitting suspends the light, you do need to have them done up firmly to get them to stay in place.

The casing design as sold is not going to survive that many good dunkings in heavy rain - although using mudguards may help extend its life by reducing the amount of water kicked up onto it, and a bit of clear packaging tape around the perimeter may stop the water.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:09 pm

Couple of posts mentioned kathmandu. Just a word about their stuff...it's rubbish. Well to clarify, their clothing seems OK but bought a cheap bike computer for my son and took 3 of them back, none worked, until I lostn patience and got my money back. Those little lights are totally unwaterprrof and not bright at all.

Sure the stuff's cheap, but there's a reason.....why add to landfill.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Don't know about weather proof, but I've been using my Kathmandu 2LED jobs on my helmet the past few nights and again found them invaluable. Heading towards an intersection I flick the front one onto flash and find cars take notice straight away. Can't comment to much on the rear one, but can't complain either. I'm sticking with them for $10 when paired with my other front & rear light :).

Also got a Cateye LD1100 this week. Damn that is a chunky and bright light, but unfortunately the mount doesn't fit on my bike so I have to order some spare parts from Wiggle. Thus yet to test it on a ride.

Note: The Kathmandu 2LED jobs are just re-badged. I bought the same lights from Torpedo7 last year and they came with Route7 logos. They are identical to the Kathmandu ones.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:47 pm

hartleymartin wrote:Strobe 2200 Lumens (2.5 hours)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."