Tailights

kb

Re: Tailights

Postby kb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:17 pm

rangersac wrote:Another one to throw into the mix [serfas thunderbolt]
That's my backup :-) Got one while waiting for my RZ4 warranty replacement. The only real drawback is battery time is a bit short. I get about 3h on bright flash and low flash is too dim for my taste in daylight or bad weather.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:41 pm

kb wrote:The only real drawback is battery time is a bit short. I get about 3h on bright flash and low flash is too dim for my taste in daylight or bad weather
That's true, although given it's USB rechargeable it's not much of a drawback, I just frequently shove it into the computer when I get to work. The low power flash setting I find enough for night use provided it's dry, and that lasts about eight hours which is more reasonable.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm

A KickStarter project ... LucidBrake.

When it comes to brake lights, Bicycle versions have been mostly concepts due to the need to integrate switches into the bicycle for them to work properly. Not that long ago, we covered the Maxxon wireless brake light that is said to use Nintendo Wii technology to bypass the need for wires. As one of the latest wireless bicycle brake lights, LucidBRAKE hopes to Kickstart their unique lightweight stop sign shaped design. Weighing a mere 23 grams, the light has no on/off switch and no plastic cover yet is 100% waterproof.

The key to the LucidBRAKE is a 3 axis accelerometer that is able to detect braking forces relative to gravity. This allows the light to be positioned nearly anywhere with the included 3M Dual lock fasteners – like on the back of your helmet or bag. The accelerometer also acts as the on/off switch, stop moving and the circuit board puts itself to sleep until it detects motion again resulting in roughly a 2 year life span on 2 AAs. Relying on the built in accelerometer, the light allows for 2 different braking speeds with sudden stopping causing it to glow brighter than when slowing to a stop. If you have to slam on the brakes it will stay fully lit for a few seconds before going back to the random blinking mode until the next stop.

From BikeRumor.

Andrew