Tailights

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Tailights

Postby damonik » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 am

Vipul wrote:Hey guys,

What brand of tailights do you use?

I just ordered the Radbot 1000 and wondering if anyone else has this?

Cheers

I got my Radbot the other day and I'm very impressed with it. It's bloody bright, if drivers cant see me now, they're never going to see me!
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)
damonik

by BNA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:36 am

BNA

Postby ve safari » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:36 am

Mine arrived yesterday, much brighter than the Superflash it replaced. My wife commented that the light was a lot brighter than usual, without knowing that I changed it. I also like how it has a reflector built into it, nice idea. Can't say I'm a fan of the on-off switch though, maybe it takes a bit of getting used to.

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!
ve safari

Postby Zynster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:48 am

I recently bought a Busch & Muller for my rack. It's the only one I could find with a dedicated rack mount. It's not really super bright, though it's not bad. It does have the advantage of being quite large, with several times the surface area of your average tail light. This would increase the visible distance by quite a bit. It lacks a flashing mode.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
Zynster

Postby nickj_d » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:53 am

CoffsGal wrote:Superflash as a backup, but always have the amazing 3watt Dinotte 140R on day and night...has 3 solid modes (high, med, low) and three flashing modes. Was about $180 when I purchased over a year ago, but the the AU$ improving against the US$, they are now only $97...very well made (in the US)...

I was due for a serious rear light upgrade after recently starting some regular commutes to/from work. After seeing Coffsgal's post, I was impressed by the Dinotte 140R and made the purchase last week. $125 AUD (incl delivery). It turned up yesterday. First thing I did was install batteries, point it at my face (not a smart move) and turn it on. Holy sh!#!!! That is bright!! I can still close my eyes and see a large red blob in my vision.

Is it overkill as il padrone suggests - arguable. But when I'm riding out past Windsor at 6am in the dark, I kinda like the idea of overkill. It's a good addition to the ay-up's on the front. Do I feel a bit safer with them? Absolutely 100%
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er
nickj_d

Postby Kyoda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

BTW what sort of dollars at the LBS?

Andrew

I picked one up at my LBS (Phantom Cycles) a few weeks ago for $35. It out performs the Super Flash it replaced - money well spent. :D
Julie..............
Cycling & Minis
Kyoda

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:43 pm

A photographic image tells you nothing by itself. Increase the exposure time or the asperture or the ASA rating of the film and you get different brightness. All those awesome colourful images of galaxies are of things you can hardly see even with a decent scope.

Just setting the record straight.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Max » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:37 pm

nickj_d wrote:I was due for a serious rear light upgrade after recently starting some regular commutes to/from work. After seeing Coffsgal's post, I was impressed by the Dinotte 140R and made the purchase last week. $125 AUD (incl delivery).

Where'd you find it for $125??

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Max wrote:
nickj_d wrote:I was due for a serious rear light upgrade after recently starting some regular commutes to/from work. After seeing Coffsgal's post, I was impressed by the Dinotte 140R and made the purchase last week. $125 AUD (incl delivery).

Max

Hi

+ 1 On the Dinotte website, using thier conversion to AUD and the cheapest postage rate, I am getting a landed cost of AU$137.34 for the light without batteries and charger and AU$184.21 with.

$125.00 sounds like the US $ price for the light delivered to Australia minus the batteries and charger.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Max wrote:

Max

I bought one for a friend recently (18/02/2010) and it cost $126.82 delivered.

Here is the price tonight from the Dinotte website...
140R-AA-R Taillight Limited! (minus battery and charger)
Grey $97.28
Sales Tax $0.00
Shipping $27.25
Total $124.53
Currency: Australian Dollar
CoffsGal

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 pm

nickj_d wrote:I bought one for a friend recently (18/02/2010) and it cost $126.82 delivered.

Hi

I think I found it. You need to go through the button marked "online store" not products and it will show up for a US price of $89.25 without batteries and charger. The normal price is US$119.00.

Via the same Online Store button they also have a 2009 model for US$119 so maybe this is an early model? Don't know as it is not clear. Probably doesn't matter anyway. It looks like there are black ones at this price too.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby nickj_d » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:00 am

Yeah, I had probs because I had initially seen it on their website for $89 US once, then when I went back later I couldn't find it again for that price. But here is the link to the sale page. http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=218837916&Count2=135978341&ProductID=111&Target=products.asp
All up, delivered to aus for $124.53 AUD (without battery+charger but I just use standard NiMH rechargeable AA's).
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er
nickj_d

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Heads up for cheap helmet lights.

2 Mini LED lights for $10 from Kathmandu. Stocks are unlikely to last long I would guess, i picked up 4 this arvo. Every helmet in the country should have one of these on them for extra visibility. I've been using them for a year and they def earn a lot more respect from drivers as they give you some dimension having one on your helmet and a normal light on your seat tube/handlebar etc.

Replaceable batteries too although at this price the whole unit is cheaper then the batteries :)

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Accessories ... Light.html

Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:40 pm

HAKS wrote: Every helmet in the country should have one of these on them for extra visibility. I've been using them for a year and they def earn a lot more respect from drivers as they give you some dimension having one on your helmet and a normal light on your seat tube/handlebar etc.

Hi

I am afraid that my helment will not get one. From what I have seen of them in use I just wouldn't trust my life to them and I can't see them being any benefit if I have Superflash lights or similar in operation as they from what I have seen just get washed out.

The worst example I have seen of a rider using these, was his use of one as his only tailight. I didn't even realise he had a taillight until I was 50 metres from him. His reflector (thankfully he had one) was doing a better job of it. This BTW was on Canning Highway heading into Fremantle on a Friday night. Not the best road to be on, on a good day net alone at night and worse still a Friday night.

That encounter (I was driving) has put me off them.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Sorry I should clarify, i use one of these on my helmet with a super-flasher on my bike. I also use a white one on the front of my helmet flashing with my Ay-Ups on the bar on constant. Personally I find the front combination works very well as a) I've got a constant stream of light from the Ay-Ups but also a flasher on my helmet which gets the attention of cars coming out in front of me. I would not recommend these lights as your only light, rather i recommend them in combination with a brighter light on the bike. 2c
HAKS

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:02 pm

HAKS wrote:Personally I find the front combination works very well as a) I've got a constant stream of light from the Ay-Ups but also a flasher on my helmet which gets the attention of cars coming out in front of me.

Hi

Given what I have seen of Ay-Ups in action, I would be surprised if these can be seen at an reasonable distance over the brightness of the Ay-Ups, but more than happy to stand corrected. Do you think they out shine your Ay-Ups?

I have often noted other riders using a single beam and a flashing beam whereas I couldn't see the flashing beam until I was pretty damn close. Based on this repeated experience last winter (spent way to much time checking out lights in operation me thinks) I no longer bother running one L2D in flash mode alongside the other L2D in single beam. My preference is now either both flashing or both on single beam or just one on single beam.

Of course at the end of the day, you should do what works for you; I guess I just don't have as much faith in them as you do.

BTW in winter darkness I run two rear Superflash style lights and two 180 lumens lights on the front.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Cheers for the input. The Ay-Ups are def brighter but i think the flashing (although duller) still does a good job at getting attention. When i have the flasher on if i direct it in the Ay-Up beam i can still clearly see the flashing. Whether that compares the brightness or not i don't know. Had a few occasions last year where I forgot the flasher and only had my Ay-Ups and just up the road there is a notorious spot for cars coming flying out of the shops onto the main road. On these occasions the cars didn't appear to see me at first and when they did either floored it or slammed on the brakes. On occasions i have had the flasher on they seem to notice me much sooner and give way. Its a hard one to judge as there are numerous factors in play ie. cautious drivers, angry drivers etc.

Hard to say how visible they are at great distance, i did ride up the street one night and got my missus to check them out. She said they worked well but she was also looking for them rather then a oblivious driver.

As you said find out what works for you and stick with it, but i guess for $10 its not a lot to spend and might benefit some riders :)
HAKS

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 pm

HAKS wrote:Cheers for the input. The Ay-Ups are def brighter but i think the flashing (although duller) still does a good job at getting attention. When i have the flasher on if i direct it in the Ay-Up beam i can still clearly see the flashing. Whether that compares the brightness or not i don't know. Had a few occasions last year where I forgot the flasher and only had my Ay-Ups and just up the road there is a notorious spot for cars coming flying out of the shops onto the main road. On these occasions the cars didn't appear to see me at first and when they did either floored it or slammed on the brakes. On occasions i have had the flasher on they seem to notice me much sooner and give way. Its a hard one to judge as there are numerous factors in play ie. cautious drivers, angry drivers etc.

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience. As you say it is only $10.00. I might pick-up one then and give it a try.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby nickj_d » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:23 am

I also ride with steady ay-ups on the front paired with a flasher. Something extra to get the attention. I've stood down the end of my street and had a look at the bike, and the flasher is still noticeable. For the rear, I have a flashing light on the helmet, and now the dinotte's on the bike.

I also recently bought some black reflective tape off ebay, and pretty much went crazy putting it on my bike (seat tube, wheel rims, chain stay, rear stay, cranks and front of head tube). My bike is black so the tape is not noticeable at all during the day or even general streetlighting, but reflects white at night when hit by car headlights.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/25mm-REFLECTIVE-BLACK-TAPE-REFLECTS-WHITE-per-metre_W0QQitemZ290396696721QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item439cfdf091

Too much visibility cannot be a bad thing!

I've also now taken to using the ay-ups on flashing during the day. I've got them, so I may as well use them, and had one too many car pull out in front of me from a side street or driveway.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er
nickj_d

Postby william » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:17 am

Dinotte 140 overkill, NEVER!

I have had one of these rear lights for 2 years now. Slow flash mode for day, sunny or otherwise, and always on for darker riding pointing slightly down. 2 reasons for this is your not blinding people behind you and the other is these lights spread a bright pool of red light on the road giving motorists a better perspective of your relative position to them.
You can test this yourself by having someone ride your bike down a dark road, at full beam directed horizontally its hard to see your position in relation to distance.
There was one other incident that convinced a mate. We riding to Hastings when heavy clouds came over, becoming very overcast and started dumping the rain. Nothing we could do except keep riding. Along this stretch there was no shoulder so we had to share with 100 kph motorists (urr). My friend had dropped behind me somewhat and during the pouring rain all he could see was my light and reflecting off the wet road. He stated later when we arrived at Hastings that cars were literally shaving his arms but when they got to me they moved across the road and gave me plenty of space.
He ordered one the next day.
Truckies have also mentioned they can see the tail light long before they know I'm a cyclist and that gives them plenty of time to manoeuvre. They appreciate these type of lights for that reason.
So! If you think that 100 odd dollars is too expensive, how much is your safety worth on the road?

Take care,

william
william

Postby nickj_d » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

william wrote:Slow flash mode for day, sunny or otherwise, and always on for darker riding pointing slightly down.

One thing to consider if using a bright taillight, I'd always have it flashing. A bright tailight, steady on, can easily be confused by a tired or distracted driver, as another vehicle. Cars then follow that light thinking they are flowing with the traffic, and by the time they come up on you and realise you are not moving traffic, it's too late to avoid you. Why do you think there are so many instances of vehicles in break down lanes being ploughed into from behind?! A bright taillight flashing clearly discerns you from other faster moving traffic.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er
nickj_d

Postby lgbran » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Dinotte 140 overkill, NEVER!

Another fan of these lights. They are the ducks nuts to put it midly.. What price do you put on your life anyway. My father was killed by a drunken driver when I was 2 ( back in the mid 1960's). So I wasn't allowed to get a bike until I was over 15 and have been riding since. I often think if this technology was aound in my father's day possibly his death could have been avoided. Different times and so long ago. Hang the expense and it's getting darker and darker
lgbran

Postby yyeric » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Kathmandu's Dual Mini LED Light is now 2 for $10 during Easter Sale. Might be worth trying.
yyeric

Postby toofat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Has anyone tried running a pair of ay ups with the red saxon caps as a rear light, if you already have a spare battery the light pair would be $121 plus caps $5.50 plus a mounting system
toofat

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:08 pm

toofat wrote:Has anyone tried running a pair of ay ups with the red saxon caps as a rear light, if you already have a spare battery the light pair would be $121 plus caps $5.50 plus a mounting system

Aaron runs ayups as a tail light.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm

toofat wrote:Has anyone tried running a pair of ay ups with the red saxon caps as a rear light, if you already have a spare battery the light pair would be $121 plus caps $5.50 plus a mounting system

How about next night ride I set my helmet mounted up on my rack as a test as I have the saxon caps.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion