Moron Motorists

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists

Postby Boognoss » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Do motorcyclists count as motorists for the purposes of this thread? Note that any coarse language was the under-my-breathe type and doubt the motorcylist noticed/heard/gave a toss.

I do love my Air Zound horn :twisted: .

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 pm

I thought the sandwich board type sign on the bike path lane outside the servo was a nice touch. :x

The metal pole intruding into it past the driveway was even better. Would the RTA or Council build a road for cars with that kind of obstacle suddenly intruding halfway into a lane? No, they'd be publicly vilified as intellectually handicapped if they did. :lol:

We, on the other hand, are supposed to be "grateful" for the poofteenth of a percent they spend on us and use to deliver this sort of rubbish, because "we don't pay rego".

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu May 20, 2010 10:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:I thought the sandwich board type sign on the bike path lane outside the servo was a nice touch. :x

The metal pole intruding into it past the driveway was even better. Would the RTA or Council build a road for cars with that kind of obstacle suddenly intruding halfway into a lane? No, they'd be publicly vilified as intellectually handicapped if they did. :lol:

We, on the other hand, are supposed to be "grateful" for the poofteenth of a percent they spend on us and use to deliver this sort of rubbish, because "we don't pay rego".
Yessum, the swerve is a standard feature. Maybe if we received a 1-billionth of a poofteenth of a percent of a give-a-f$%k from those in power then it would all be awesome. Until then, I'll blast with the Air Zound and add to my YouTube library :).

Don't start me about the weeds and the farmer's friends that infest the same cycleway when heading eastbound only about 1.5km from where this video was shot. Farmer's friends in suburban Sydney? Yes indeed!!!
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 pm

had a guy pull out right in front of me tonight on the way home. caught up with him at the next intersection and gave him a serve. he was pretty casual, just kept apologising but obviously wasn't too fussed. let's just say i didn't want to cause another international incident.

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Fri May 21, 2010 8:17 am

These idiots don't just do it to cyclists, I had this goose cut me off on the M5 eastbound at King Georges Rd in a Mazda 2 and I was in the work truck! I changed lanes and the knob head did exactly the same thing again so I lean't on the horn and stayed lean't on it for a good 90 seconds. I couldn't believe my luck when the traffic stopped and his car door opened for me to see a very angry/embarrassed man of ethnic origin start screaming at me in broken English.
Not only was he stupid enough to try and park under the work truck twice he was stupid enough to take a swing at someone who was almost a foot taller and outweighed him by 40kg. What's a real shame is that this isn't an isolated incident, idiot drivers will risk lives to get in front of anything they deem may hold them up. In the little Kia truck I belt along the freeways but I'm forever getting twits overtake, realise I was already going fast and they panic and slow down. They see the Kia coming up the road and freak out and pullout to make sure they don't get stuck behind only to hold me up.
I think this is how they see bikes when they do see them, the rest of the time we're invisible.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 22, 2010 10:39 am

Old and Rusty wrote:What's a real shame is that this isn't an isolated incident, idiot drivers will risk lives to get in front of anything they deem may hold them up. In the little Kia truck I belt along the freeways but I'm forever getting twits overtake, realise I was already going fast and they panic and slow down. They see the Kia coming up the road and freak out and pullout to make sure they don't get stuck behind only to hold me up.
I think this is how they see bikes when they do see them, the rest of the time we're invisible.
I think you're onto something there. The way motorists race ahead of each other to be closest to the white line when the light is red is hilarious. It's like F1 qualifying.

I've stopped filtering to the front in those circumstances.

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Sat May 22, 2010 10:52 am

What a difference a day makes, I just did a total of about an hours riding on the road to go get some blood drained for the quack and had EVERY car that should give way actually give way. One poor old dear didn't see me until the last second and stopped for me but I had to ride onto the opposite side of the road to get round her lol. I went through about 8 roundabouts and the 4 times I had to merge into traffic they left stacks of room for me.
I dare say that my riding speed may have made the difference today, the legs felt good and I was flying (flying for a fat 46yo) so maybe it wasn't as big an inconvenience for them to help me out. It's not like they wouldn't have seen me at a distance in a bright red jersey.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

Max

Postby Max » Sat May 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Had a very nice little ride this morning. The skies cleared after last night's downpour, and left a magnificent warm(ish), dry day. All was good until the just after the last roundabout before my house. I went through it and moved across to go around a car parked on the left (in blue - behold my Paint skills below). The wally behind me (red) just couldn't wait three seconds, so he decided it would be a good idea to pass me. On the wrong side of the road. Around a blind corner. Straight into the path of an oncoming car (green).

Sheesh :roll:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:33 pm

this happened to me a while ago. mum with kids in the back seat overtook me on a narrow (one car width) street with parked cars on either side. i remember the 'beyond the point of no return' shocked look on her face as she powered past, an oncoming vehicle having to desperately duck into a parking space to avoid a head on collision. she didn't want to wait though.

msn

Postby msn » Sat May 22, 2010 9:44 pm

trailgumby wrote:I think you're onto something there. The way motorists race ahead of each other to be closest to the white line when the light is red is hilarious. It's like F1 qualifying.
I've seen it too often, where said white line you mention, is used to park the rear wheels on. :roll: :roll:

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sun May 23, 2010 2:42 am

Max wrote: Image
I do that on Driver on the Playstation when I'm trying to get away from the cops, but not in real life :)
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun May 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Max wrote:Had a very nice little ride this morning. The skies cleared after last night's downpour, and left a magnificent warm(ish), dry day. All was good until the just after the last roundabout before my house. I went through it and moved across to go around a car parked on the left (in blue - behold my Paint skills below). The wally behind me (red) just couldn't wait three seconds, so he decided it would be a good idea to pass me. On the wrong side of the road. Around a blind corner. Straight into the path of an oncoming car (green).

Sheesh :roll:

Max
That diagram shoes the exact same configuration as the turn into my street every night. The only difference is that before the right hand turn it is a steep hill (about 15% gradient), and the right hand turn goes into a tunnel under a motorway. So, in your diagram the green car would be in the tunnel, and also below anyone coming down the hill. Our street is serviced by buses, so quite often the green object would be an extra long bus that needs to take the corner pretty close to the centre line in order to get around it!

On my ride home, despite me clearly "taking the lane" going down the hill, I am constantly amazed at the morons who still accelerate past me, cross over double-white lines and then try to pull off some death defying right hand turn at the same time as moving left back into the correct lane. All for the sake of a couple of seconds, since my street is a cul-de-sac, the maximum time I could possibly delay these drivers is about 3 seconds.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Shimomo

Postby Shimomo » Mon May 24, 2010 6:01 pm

trailgumby wrote:
And why arent you grateful? You're 100% right. Cyclists DONT pay rego. Yet there are provisions made for cyclists both on, and off the road. Maybe a case of better something than nothing at all?

zero

Postby zero » Mon May 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Shimomo wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
And why arent you grateful? You're 100% right. Cyclists DONT pay rego. Yet there are provisions made for cyclists both on, and off the road. Maybe a case of better something than nothing at all?
Because rego fees are used to administer rego. General tax revenue are used to build infrastructure, and we pay general tax revenue.

Shimomo

Postby Shimomo » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 pm

zero wrote:
Shimomo wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Because rego fees are used to administer rego. General tax revenue are used to build infrastructure, and we pay general tax revenue.
Registration fee's are there to use the road. What the money goes to is invalid in this case. You dont pay to use the road with the "vehicle" you are using when you're on your bike. You're a guest on the road. Act that way.

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Mon May 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Shimomo wrote:Registration fee's are there to use the road. What the money goes to is invalid in this case. You dont pay to use the road with the "vehicle" you are using when you're on your bike. You're a guest on the road. Act that way.
that's just not true.

Shimomo

Postby Shimomo » Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 pm

SeanB wrote:
Shimomo wrote:Registration fee's are there to use the road. What the money goes to is invalid in this case. You dont pay to use the road with the "vehicle" you are using when you're on your bike. You're a guest on the road. Act that way.
that's just not true.
How is it untrue? Care to state some facts instead of just a statement.

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Mon May 24, 2010 9:35 pm

it's like zero's post above.

Shimomo

Postby Shimomo » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 pm

SeanB wrote:it's like zero's post above.
Riiight.

So you pay $600 in administration costs. And what does that allow you to do...

That's right.

Drive. Your. Car. On. The. Road.

You pay how much to ride your bike on the road?

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon May 24, 2010 9:38 pm

SeanB wrote:that's just not true.
Have a look at his previous posts. I don't think you should waste your breath on the moron. :wink:
- Dave

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon May 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Shimomo wrote:
SeanB wrote:
that's just not true.
How is it untrue? Care to state some facts instead of just a statement.
Actually, it is totally true.

However, everyone is a 'guest' on the road as all roads (except a tollway here and there) are owned by the government (local state federal.)

You, Shimomo, seem to think the roads are there for cars only. I beg of you, take a quick look at the NSW RTA rules or, for that matter, any state or territory of Australia. I think you'll find there that every single road user has the same rights to the roads that we all pay for with our taxes. With very few restrictions (ie horse drawn vehicles and tractors aren't allowed in some places)
2010 BMC SLC01

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Shimomo wrote: Riiight.

So you pay $600 in administration costs. And what does that allow you to do...

That's right.

Drive. Your. Car. On. The. Road.

You pay how much to ride your bike on the road?
Actually no. That just means the car is legally allowed to be driven on public land. Your licence allows you to drive on the road.

I'm beginning to think you're just another cyclist-hating car-lover. Care to prove me wrong?
Last edited by hannos on Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMC SLC01

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Roads were around, as were bicycles-and funded from the public purse looooong before that Ford bloke decided something more than disease and war was needed to thin the herd.

I'd say I pay about $31,000 in income tax, not to mention all the other sneaky imposts like GST and fuel excise ad nauseum gets me a fair amount of kilometres. My 2x $200 odd rego fee goes to funding the rego apparatus. The rest of the 2x $500 odd I pay for a sticker goes towards the horrendous societal cost of the aforementioned herd thinning.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Shimomo

Postby Shimomo » Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 pm

hannos wrote:
Shimomo wrote: You pay how much to ride your bike on the road?
Actually no. That just means the car is legally allowed to be driven. Your licence allows you to drive on the road.

I'm beginning to think you're just another cyclist-hating car-lover. Care to prove me wrong?

And where is the check to see that every cyclist who pedals their way out onto the road is capable of holding their own in traffic, at knowing the road rules and at not being a risk to themselves, and everybody else on the road?

There isnt one. Which makes cyclists an unknown quantity on the road. Bike paths and lanes are supplied for cyclists both on and off the road. A road that they're not even licensed to be using. And the complaints come that it isnt good enough? Maybe if there was a scheme in place to get cyclists registered, licensed and paying for dedicated infrastructure, then you could complain about the condition of it.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Nope didn't think you could...

Last edited by hannos on Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMC SLC01