6k Club. 2010 Edition. ****

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: 6k Club.

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Richard.L wrote:I dont think its fair because it wont even be a challenge IMO for me it is cause im so low ATM :lol:

Wow pretty close battle between 1700-1500km's

Can you put this into traditional english please? I am interested in what you have to say, but am handicapped by the education system of the 60's which only covered the "Queens English".
master6
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

by BNA » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

BNA
 

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Richard.L » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Sorry for not revising it.

I meant that it isn't fair if people know they will achieve a far higher goal than they state. For me it's an actual challenge to reach 6000km's but for others they might not be setting a challenge for them self because they will get more just riding to work. (sorry no offense intended to anyone)
User avatar
Richard.L
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 6k Club.

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm

Richard.L wrote:Sorry for not revising it.

I meant that it isn't fair if people know they will achieve a far higher goal than they state. For me it's an actual challenge to reach 6000km's but for others they might not be setting a challenge for them self because they will get more just riding to work. (sorry no offense intended to anyone)


I am confused about your concern. I thought this was just a friendly competition to see who could ride the most km's in the calendar year. Your target is a personal thing, and of no consequence to the overall competition. If someone can ride a lot of km's this year, and more than anyone else, does it matter whether their goal was 4000km or 44000km? I see this thing as primarily a challenge to oneself, with some motivation coming from watching other people strive to meet their challenge.

Have I misunderstood something here?
master6
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Richard.L » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:29 pm

dw about it then i now get the message from you post master :D lol
User avatar
Richard.L
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Baldy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:06 pm

For what its worth mine was an honest guestimate. I had no idea I would have done this many km's so far, the weather has been great and the more I rode the easier the km's ticked along.

The addiction seems to be getting worse so I most likely have underestimated my goal but its a long winter!

Im a bit allergic to riding in the rain, not worried about crashing just getting cold/soggy! Allthough im slowly collecting gear to help with that hopefully[bike with full mudguards, waterproof jacket, bags ect] All I know being a born and bred taswiegan that once you get wet/cold down here its bloody hard to warm up again.

More of my km's lately have been on the MTB and new cromo tourer/commuter/shopper. The km;s on the commuter are lazy but the km's on the MTB are worth allmost double the roadie I think[I ride to and from the trails]. So I dont think the total km's tell much of the story.

I only threw down my gauntlet[roy n HG style] because I saw this as being the most serious comp on the forum :P Whats all this rubbish about it just being for a laugh :wink:
Baldy
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:44 am

Mine too was an honest guesstimate. And I might be in front of the red triangle now, but it is getting close to the time that I stop riding to work and limit my rides to short rides during daylight hours. I expect by about September I will be way behind and will have to do some serious mileage in the spring and summer months.

Baldy is right though, this is serious!!!!!!! mwwahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:11 am

norbs wrote:Mine too was an honest guesstimate. And I might be in front of the red triangle now, but it is getting close to the time that I stop riding to work and limit my rides to short rides during daylight hours. I expect by about September I will be way behind and will have to do some serious mileage in the spring and summer months.

Baldy is right though, this is serious!!!!!!! mwwahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


I can see how distance ridden is serious, however the importance of the goal, to people other than the owner, mystifies me. Can someone other than the illiterate 16 year old Dill enlighten me?

(I now understand what my grandmother meant by "children should be seen and not heard".)
master6
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 am

master6 wrote:
norbs wrote:Mine too was an honest guesstimate. And I might be in front of the red triangle now, but it is getting close to the time that I stop riding to work and limit my rides to short rides during daylight hours. I expect by about September I will be way behind and will have to do some serious mileage in the spring and summer months.

Baldy is right though, this is serious!!!!!!! mwwahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


I can see how distance ridden is serious, however the importance of the goal, to people other than the owner, mystifies me. Can someone other than the illiterate 16 year old Dill enlighten me?

(I now understand what my grandmother meant by "children should be seen and not heard".)


You're correct. The goal is just that, a goal. A number decided on by the user to try and reach by years end. This whole thing was started as something to get a bunch of people with the same goal together in the hope that it would generate some interest and some good hearted banter. I think it has.
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby goneriding » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:21 am

If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen!I think it is great that some are smashing their original targets and the competition should spur the others on to greater efforts. I'd not be surprised if a few hit 9,000 - 10,000 km.

A personal story re last year. My original goal last year was 10,000 km which I thought to be achievable but challenging. The problem was as I became more obsessed every month I tried to beat my previous month's distance. I n addition to that I made it into the top 10 which spurred me on further. I ended the year just under 15,000 km. Martin, who topped the club last year, IIRC started out with a 12,000 km goal and ended up close to 20,000 km partially spurred on by the competition.
Image
User avatar
goneriding
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Strathfield

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 am

goneriding wrote:If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen!I think it is great that some are smashing their original targets and the competition should spur the others on to greater efforts. I'd not be surprised if a few hit 9,000 - 10,000 km.

A personal story re last year. My original goal last year was 10,000 km which I thought to be achievable but challenging. The problem was as I became more obsessed every month I tried to beat my previous month's distance. I n addition to that I made it into the top 10 which spurred me on further. I ended the year just under 15,000 km. Martin, who topped the club last year, IIRC started out with a 12,000 km goal and ended up close to 20,000 km partially spurred on by the competition.


A good point you make. Barto is like my own personal locomotive at the moment. He is dragging me along behind him. Im like the big fat caboose. :)
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Nix » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 am

goneriding wrote:it is great that some are smashing their original targets and the competition should spur the others on to greater efforts.

It's working for me... the "HTFU" comment I received last week has spurred me on to consume a daily dose of cement, and focus on getting out there for longer in an effort to catch up to the smug bastards who are in front of the red line :twisted:
Love of cycling is a good motivation... but avoiding ridicule amongst peers works a little better for me ;)
Image
Nix
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Harkaway (SE Melbourne)

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:08 am

Nix wrote:
goneriding wrote:it is great that some are smashing their original targets and the competition should spur the others on to greater efforts.

It's working for me... the "HTFU" comment I received last week has spurred me on to consume a daily dose of cement, and focus on getting out there for longer in an effort to catch up to the smug bastards who are in front of the red line :twisted:
Love of cycling is a good motivation... but avoiding ridicule amongst peers works a little better for me ;)



Come on Nix, get the BikeJournal thing happening so we can add your graph.
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Nix » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 am

I'm trying... but my computer at work doesn't seem to like bikejournal so when I go to "Add Ride", it comes up with the fields to enter data but no "ok" or "enter" button to submit...

And let's face it.. when I'm not working, I need to be riding to catch up ;)
Image
Nix
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Harkaway (SE Melbourne)

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:35 am

Nix wrote:I'm trying... but my computer at work doesn't seem to like bikejournal so when I go to "Add Ride", it comes up with the fields to enter data but no "ok" or "enter" button to submit...

And let's face it.. when I'm not working, I need to be riding to catch up ;)



It should look something like this...

Image

So you don't get the [Add Ride] button?
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Nix » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:54 am

No, I get double of Ride date, distance, time and ride type - but that's all... :evil:
Image
Nix
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Harkaway (SE Melbourne)

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Nix wrote:No, I get double of Ride date, distance, time and ride type - but that's all... :evil:


Could I ask what web browser? IE6 by any chance?
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Patdys » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:44 pm

I'll give it a crack.
Part commuting, part azzuri and I sincerely hope, part BMC.
Same crappy engine on all.
05 Azzuri Primo (bought in 08)
10 BMC Team Machine
Image
Patdys
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Nix » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:52 pm

norbs wrote:Could I ask what web browser? IE6 by any chance?

Yup, IE6... have tried installing Firefox but only admin can install new programs... do you know anythign about IE6 that might be causing this?
Image
Nix
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Harkaway (SE Melbourne)

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Nix wrote:
norbs wrote:Could I ask what web browser? IE6 by any chance?

Yup, IE6... have tried installing Firefox but only admin can install new programs... do you know anythign about IE6 that might be causing this?


No, I'm sorry. It actually works in IE6 here at work.
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby R12RT » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:23 pm

ve safari wrote:Can I put forward a motion that any kms ridden on Giant or Trek bikes are null and void, and cannot contribute to ones total? Just a thought.


Is this a ruse to get ahead of me, ve safari
John Beaven
2009 Giant CRX2
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Ballajura, Western Australia

Re: 6k Club.

Postby R12RT » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 pm

norbs wrote:
ve safari wrote:
norbs wrote:
I'm confident I can top you all! I shall be king of the 6k Club, if I can just ride further than all of you!!!!!!! :twisted:


I recommend that you stay on your flat-bar for as long as possible. :twisted: :twisted:


I forgot to make mention of it earlier, but flat bar riders get a +3000k handicap.

Go Flatties go!

I am hoping I am the only flatty rider in the group. :D


Suits me: 2216 + 3000 = 5216km. HA HA :lol:
John Beaven
2009 Giant CRX2
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Ballajura, Western Australia

Re: 6k Club.

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm

R12RT wrote:
Suits me: 2216 + 3000 = 5216km. HA HA :lol:



Crap! that didn't end as well as I expected. :)
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Barto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:25 am

Sheeesh Norbs, you caught me napping :oops: ! It is amazing what can happen with two days off the bike.

He,he, can't wait to make up for it over the next six days though :twisted: ...
Image
BMC SLR01
Masi Vincere
Specialized FSR Stumpjumper
User avatar
Barto
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: Bicton, Western Australia

Re: 6k Club.

Postby Nix » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:40 am

Until I get my bikejournal up and running (tried it at home on the wifes computer but still didn't work), can someone tell me where the red line is for the end of March?
**Edit** What I actually want to know is how does BJ calculate the red line... is it daily (16.44km p/day), weekly (115.38 p/week) or just monthly (500 p/month regardless of how many days)
Image
Nix
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Harkaway (SE Melbourne)

Re: 6k Club.

Postby ve safari » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:26 am

The redline is always in front of you nix. Just HTFU and forget about the numbers. Now go ride your bike!
Image

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!
User avatar
ve safari
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baalzamon, GTPilot, Sniby



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist