Here we go AGAIN - collision with car. [Bike photos added]

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Here we go AGAIN - collision with car.

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:39 am

Jeebers Gumby, you wanna take up something a bit safer? say tissue paper skydiving or the giB caM diet, glad yer OKish. :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 am

trailgumby wrote:Light was good. I don't believe the Ayups would have changed anything had they been turned on.
Do your Ay Ups flash? Mine do. I run them flashing in daylight. I haven't been missed yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 am

Nobody wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Light was good. I don't believe the Ayups would have changed anything had they been turned on.
Do your Ay Ups flash? Mine do. I run them flashing in daylight. I haven't been missed yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.
It makes bugger all difference....I have had my AyUps shining directly in the eyes of car drivers waiting to turn onto roads from side streets or driveways, and they look directly at me and then proceed as though I am not there. There must be some contagious form of road blindness going around!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Colin_T

Re: Here we go AGAIN!

Postby Colin_T » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:38 am

human909 wrote: I was in an argument with a friend on the weekend.
Apparently cyclists are too difficult to see. :?
I don't have a problem seeing cyclists and I'm nearly blind. Tell your friend to go get some goggles :)
goneriding wrote:Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.
ROFL : :D

Ah look at this, Trailgumby is trying to catch up to me. You got a long way to go if you wanna catch me. If it's a race yah want, it's a race you'll get. First one to be splattered 10 times wins. Mmm better make it 20 coz I think I passed 10 a few years ago :)

I think your wrist hurts again and you need some time off work and a bit of compo. And the bike is a total write-off and will cost thousands to replace :)

good to hear that you aren't as badly hurt as last time. Here's hoping this is the last one for a while :)
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:38 am

Glad you are ok.

I would consider an Air Zound

Random link - Dean Woods does them for $54.

I don't know if it would have changed anything however it is as loud as a car horn and only possibly could have had the driver become hesitant when turning. A good option for the regular commuter - though can also anger drivers when they notice that your 'only' a cyclist.
Cycling is in my BNA

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 am

AUbicycles wrote:Glad you are ok.

I would consider an Air Zound

Random link - Dean Woods does them for $54.

I don't know if it would have changed anything however it is as loud as a car horn and only possibly could have had the driver become hesitant when turning. A good option for the regular commuter - though can also anger drivers when they notice that your 'only' a cyclist.
Couldn't agree more with this as I run one on my commuter plus a bell. The bell is for peds and the Zound is for motor vehicles (and Ipod peds after the bell goes unheard ;)).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Hmm. That's an idea. I've got room for a third bottle cage down near the bottom bracket (I need the other two for liquids during the summer months).

How long are those hoses, Simon?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 pm

The hose is approx 80cm I think. Can't find my tape measure so I took a photo.

The bike is hanging vertically (in case you were wondering :)) in my messy bike-garage/study/TV room/computer room/Fortress of Solitude.

I have a short loop of hose to allow for steering movement and neatly run it alongside the brake cable (top of top tube as it's a cyclocross bike) and then a cable tie to keep in place before it goes down to the downtube bottle holder.

Unfortunately it's a black hose on a black tube so it's a bit hard to see but you can see the hose passing near the stem (the loopy part of the hose-run).

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Easy - I think that'll fit nicely. :) Now I just have to work out where I'm going to fit the camera - starting to tun out of real esate on the handlebars.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Yeah, realestate is tough on my commuter with the CX brake levers, air zound, bell and Ayup mounts. I still find a little space for flats to hold onto though :-). 44cm wide drops helps a bit.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 pm

glad your ok. the horn sounds like a great idea! :wink:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Damage to bike:

Front wheel is most obvious, but there are road bite marks to left end of bars, pedal, fork leg end, and the tyre is scuffed on the sidewall near the valve.

I got hit from the right.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

stevepedlin

Re: Here we go AGAIN - collision with car. [Bike photos adde

Postby stevepedlin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Good to hear you are a tough one Gumby, and shame about your bike, damn..those photos hurt a little even from here.

Today I put in a little 40Km training ride on the highway than streets of Hervey Bay in the pouring rain and the traffic was just appalling. I had two intersection occasions where I could have ended up exactly as you did, it's that close between getting through and being creamed its not funny, just luck and my reactions saved me compensating for the attention the motorists are paying (usually very little) to the environment around them. Heck I was even lit up like the sun with my yellow sprayjacket and all.. :roll:

Horn,!! lets get real here, what we need are those new IMI compact RPG launchers ready to go, mounted front or rear, whatever turns you on. :twisted:

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:36 pm

theres a bit of free advertising for Shimano. The only part that wasn't damaged is the label :)

you should take your front wheel in to the local bike shop and ask them to fix the slight bucckle in the front wheel :)

are you gonna keep the wheel as a momento? I used to keep my parts from accidents but they started taking up too much room. So I don't do it any more.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:56 pm

:lol: that would be funny. :D "I need a true and tension. Could I have it back tomorrow?"

Been edumacating myself about my new toy, the Garmin 705. Here's where I got hit.

Lap 1 is where I was tracking the bus trip from Frenchs Forest to work - almost a record for a slow trip. Thankyou Sydney traffic.

Lap 2 is the trip home on the bike. I was doing 16.5km/hr when I was hit:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28779972

I reckon this might count as evidence. :D

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:55 am

[quote="trailgumby
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28779972
[/quote]

"Insufficient privileges to view activity 28779972."
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Christine Tham wrote: "Insufficient privileges to view activity 28779972."
that means you aren't the chosen one Chris :)

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Colin_T wrote: that means you aren't the chosen one Chris :)
Thanks, Neo.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Oops! :oops: Just noticed myself - trying to work out how to set the security by individual activity now.

Edit: Try again now.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:44 pm

trailgumby wrote: Edit: Try again now.
Works now.

When you look at the big inverted U detour the bus takes up to Mona Vale Rd, it's clear what the incentive to cycle is
:)

From the look of the damage to your front wheel, the lefty fork has done remarkably well to escape unscathed.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:03 pm

wombatK wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Edit: Try again now.
Works now.

When you look at the big inverted U detour the bus takes up to Mona Vale Rd, it's clear what the incentive to cycle is
:)

From the look of the damage to your front wheel, the lefty fork has done remarkably well to escape unscathed.

Cheers
Yep, we'll get that looked at. Not much force involved, though... my knees survived unharmed. :D

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Good thing for you 'Dale make Leftys not Rightys... :)

Glad to hear your okay.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
trailgumby wrote: I hadn't previously considered Blenheim Rd a high risk area, but I'll take a look at Magdala Rd option. I'd wondered about that bridge but couldn't see how to get to it, as the map seemed to indicate you needed to hike-a-bike down the stairs from the Epping Rd cycleway. I can see now from Whereis that it conects up with that driveway running off Epping Road.
That bridge is no fun (it's pretty rickety, you'll feel like Indy Jones crossing it, and you are supposed to dismount from your bike - I didn't, but it was so bumpy I wish I did by the end).

And Magdala Rd is very very steep.
Hey CT, I tried that bridge on the way home tonight. I'm glad I had my 2" mtb tyres on rather than the 700c's :lol: And Say What is going on with those gates/barricades at either end? The Ryde end I couldn't get my bike through - I had to lift it over!!

Got abused on no less than six occasions on the way home tonight, four of which were yelled at me from 4WD's. I did have another in a 4WD, the passenger, shout some encouragement as they passed me going up a hill - that was nice. :D

Disturbingly, I had a clown in a white/cream Jag XJS with rego a white rego plate beginning with AHF (AHF-07F maybe?) pass with less than a foot to spare at Frenchs Forest, east of the intersection with Forest Way. I had to take quick evasive action to avoid a hit like the one just before December. He should be glad the lights at the corner of Bantry Bay Road stayed green, or he'd have needed a trip to the panel beaters. :evil:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Christine Tham wrote:
trailgumby wrote: I hadn't previously considered Blenheim Rd a high risk area, but I'll take a look at Magdala Rd option. I'd wondered about that bridge but couldn't see how to get to it, as the map seemed to indicate you needed to hike-a-bike down the stairs from the Epping Rd cycleway. I can see now from Whereis that it conects up with that driveway running off Epping Road.
That bridge is no fun (it's pretty rickety, you'll feel like Indy Jones crossing it, and you are supposed to dismount from your bike - I didn't, but it was so bumpy I wish I did by the end).

And Magdala Rd is very very steep.
Hey CT, I tried that bridge on the way home tonight. I'm glad I had my 2" mtb tyres on rather than the 700c's :lol: And Say What is going on with those gates/barricades at either end? The Ryde end I couldn't get my bike through - I had to lift it over!!
That bridge is appalling. I've tried it on various roadie tyres from 23mm to 28mm and it's not pretty regardless. Maybe the "cyclist dismount" signage has a basis in fact this time around. You have to roll slowly on that bridge on a roadie. No need to lift any of my bikes over the barricades although it was tight with 42cm or 44cm drop bars.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:25 am

Mine are almost 700mm wide, and on the western end my panniers were'nt going to squeeze through either. Pity - the windy twisty bit is kinda fun.