Cyclist killed on M4 motorway - Update on driver charges

r2160

Re: Cyclist killed on M4 motorway - Update on driver charges

Postby r2160 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:12 pm

According to their website, they also sell Apple, Logitech, Microsoft and Elgato!!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 pm

r2160 wrote:According to their website, they also sell Apple, Logitech, Microsoft and Elgato!!

cheers
Glenn
Quality cut and paste website then :). They shouldn't be paying their web developer a cent.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:31 pm

jules21 wrote:i think you're probably right, except:
Uncle Grumpy wrote:Whilst the company wouldn't condone the use of illicit drugs, they have a duty to ensure their workers are fit for work.
i don't share your confidence there. some companies would be quite happy about it, if it meant they could keep earning 24/7.
Okay, I'll change that to:

"Whilst the company wouldn't publicly condone the use of illicit drugs..."

What goes on behind closed doors etc. But I'm not making an allegation that the company is aware of drug use and doing nothing about it. That is a matter for appropriate authorities to investigate the culture of the company.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:What goes on behind closed doors etc. But I'm not making an allegation that the company is aware of drug use and doing nothing about it.
neither am i, but if it eventuated to be the case, they wouldn't be the first.

Westgarth

Postby Westgarth » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 pm

When you suggest making the car driver 'liable for all costs' are you suggesting that the TAC shouldn't pay out for car-cycle crashes and the cyclist will have to chase the deadbeat drug-addict bankrupt driver through the courts? It sounds like a good idea but has practical difficulties.

I didn't think it was legal to cycle along the break-down lane of freeways - this is a pretty good indication of why.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Westgarth wrote:I didn't think it was legal to cycle along the break-down lane of freeways - this is a pretty good indication of why.
In Sydney cyclists can legally use the breakdown lane of many freeways. Some would maintain that, in contrast to urban roads with all their hazards at intersections and driveway entries and limited road space, freeways are the safest roads.

In Victoria we can legally ride on all rural freeways.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Westgarth wrote:When you suggest making the car driver 'liable for all costs' are you suggesting that the TAC shouldn't pay out for car-cycle crashes and the cyclist will have to chase the deadbeat drug-addict bankrupt driver through the courts? It sounds like a good idea but has practical difficulties.

I didn't think it was legal to cycle along the break-down lane of freeways - this is a pretty good indication of why.
Here is NSW at least, riding on the Freeways/Motorways is allowed unless it specifically says you can't. I think the RTA reasons that by allowing riding on the Road Shoulders, and publishing the route in their official cycling maps, they can then clain they have provided "Cycling Infrastructure".
On most of the Motorways, the shoulder is at least as wide as a regular traffic lane, so there is less risk riding on the Motorway than there is in heavy traffic. Of course, one does not expect to contend with drivers who find it difficult to stay within a marked lane. To subsquently blame such collisions on the Cyclist by saying "they shouldn't have been there" conveniently overlooks the fact that perhaps the driver of the car/truck should have been paying attention and stayed on the road!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:15 pm

One of the drivers is to appear at Penrith Local Court this Wednesday 13-10-10

Hope he gets an unsympathetic judge :evil:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 am

zozza wrote:One of the drivers is to appear at Penrith Local Court this Wednesday 13-10-10

Hope he gets an unsympathetic judge :evil:
How ironic would it be - it's Ride to Work day. Pray the judge rides his bike to work :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:53 pm

The wheels of justice turn slowly - Channel 10 have reported that Stephen Day, the driver responsible for killing cyclist David Williams on the M4 way back in April 2010, whose driving was impaired by both fatigue & marijuana, has been sentenced. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to 9 years jail. The report states that he gave up bail a year ago & his release is 6 years ago, so it sounds like the non parole period of is 7 years.

He is said to be appealing the severity of the sentence.

I would link to a more reputable source, but it appears that the major newspapers did not deem it newsworthy.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Watching that scares me from riding and driving near trucks. That was just disgusting. :cry:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Scares me from riding near quarry trucks.

My experience has been that most heavy truck drivers are the most considerate drivers on our roads, especially towards cyclists. Semi-drivers and B-double drivers will always give as much room as possible and change lanes well in advance to give you a full lane of room. However there seems to be a correlation between the value of the cargo and the responsibility of the driver and/or truck company.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."