Cyclist killed on M4 motorway - Update on driver charges

ruscook

Re: Cyclist killed on Sydney's M4 motorway this morning

Postby ruscook » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:31 pm

brendancg wrote:....Finally
How about we let the police do there investigation here. I know the investigators they are very thorough.
Good point Brendan, this has tended to degenerate too much into hypotheticals or blaming without all the facts being available.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Very well said Brendan. Agree with all of your points, esp the final one.

And on that note I think that all has said that can be at this stage until the police complete their investigation. I think this thread has run it's course, and now is a good time for it to be locked.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Unlocked thread. Let's try and keep it civil, lest it be locked again.

News to hand where the truck driver was charged with manslaughter - http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... 15n3i.html

Reading the article, it appears that the time of 7.40pm should have been 7.40am?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

lethoso

Re: Cyclist killed on M4 motorway - Update on driver charges

Postby lethoso » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 pm

police media release - http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/lates ... YWxsPTE%3D

good to see they're throwing the book at him.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 pm

On top of manslaughter, those are such serious charges, driving under the influence of a prohibited drug and self administering drug etc. (in the case of the M4 incident)

It's sad that a life was lost to get this numbskull off the road.

Like many of us, I also drive a car and I have a spouse that drives a car which is more than likely to contain our kids as well. I'm glad that guy is off the road. His actions are deplorable, to be on some prohibited substance and driving a truck, bloody hell. It upsets me to think that whilst the justice system will deal with him, there are many more out there doing the same thing.

A few months back I was "up bush" for a funeral. Dad and I stopped at a truck stop to fuel up and grab a stretch and a bite. I watched a truckie walk out, over to his semi, throw a pill (or 2, dunno) down his throat. They may have been Panadol or vitamins for all I know. But he chugged a bottle of V, then cracked the lid off a second and downed it. Swung himself up and into the cab, fired up 600hp of Perkins diesel and hit the road. I know long haul truckies have it hard, but gees. You wonder why things go pear shaped on the roads with heavy vehicles.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:08 am

What are the odds that two alleged criminal freight-hoons should both live in this place Colyton ?

A place to avoid on my next cycle-tour I'd say
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 am

il padrone wrote:What are the odds that two alleged criminal freight-hoons should both live in this place Colyton ?

Is it true that both drivers worked for the same Soil supply co.in South Penrith?????
I could be wrong but maybe the employer should also be held accountable?

msn

Postby msn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:26 am

Good to see the result on the on the police media release. Just got to hope that the other side of the justice system recognises the hard work put in by the police and applies appropriate sentences.
zozza wrote:Is it true that both drivers worked for the same Soil supply co.in South Penrith?????
There were some comments posted a while back about both drivers possibly being from the same company.
An comment from a work colleague when this first happened, was not favourable in general to the attitude of that organisation.
I wonder if there will be any possible action against others there.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 am

il padrone wrote:What are the odds that two alleged criminal freight-hoons should both live in this place Colyton ?

+1 to zozzas comment. Yes it was South Penrith Sands.

I think where they work was far more significant - surprising that no charges were laid against the company that allowed the second driver to work more than 12 hours in 24.

A conviction against the drivers would be nice to see, but so too would action against the company that harbored if not promoted that kind of driving

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:41 am

wombatK wrote:

+1 to zozzas comment. Yes it was South Penrith Sands.

I think where they work was far more significant - surprising that no charges were laid against the company that allowed the second driver to work more than 12 hours in 24.

A conviction against the drivers would be nice to see, but so too would action against the company that harbored if not promoted that kind of driving

Cheers
i think the company should be held to some accountability. its a bit like those 4 poeple that dies putting in roof insulation. it wasnt really peter garretts fault, but the companies that employed them and failed to educate and monitor them with regards to their safety.
if the trucking compaines were held accountable, things like in house drug testing, gps monitoring etc would make the roads safer. as it is, having their drivers flout the rules only makes their business more profitable for no risk to the company...

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:09 am

Dont feel sorry for Long Haul truck drivers. They do very well in the hip pocket. The hours they drive ARE their choice, trust me

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:13 am

The Womble wrote:Dont feel sorry for Long Haul truck drivers. They do very well in the hip pocket. The hours they drive ARE their choice, trust me
I should elaborate. They dont choose the time frames from A to B, but they do choose to do those hours for the potential earnings for getting it done.
There are plenty of driving jobs out there that pay well, but these clowns are as greedy as the companies they drive for

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:44 am

The Womble wrote: There are plenty of driving jobs out there that pay well, but these clowns are as greedy as the companies they drive for
Yes, but so far action is only being taken against the clowns and not the company. Tells other companies who might be playing the same game to keep at it.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 am

Problem is that while they do target the companies, it happens maybe twice a year. Cowboys see that as a red flag

msn

Postby msn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 am

Listening to the news, appears there are further ongoing investigations into the company as a whole. Also here.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:22 am

Workcover were investigating the company, which is a sand/soil company. I understand that their fleet of trucks was ordered off the road and Workcover went over the vehicles, and through the companies procedures.

That's about all I know, not sure about what happened with action against them though that may still be pending and wrapped up as part of the charges against the drivers.

I did have a contact at Workcover but he's since left for better things.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:35 am

I hope the judge that gets this case is a cyclist.
2010 BMC SLC01

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:55 am

Uncle Grumpy wrote:Workcover were investigating the company, which is a sand/soil company. I understand that their fleet of trucks was ordered off the road and Workcover went over the vehicles, and through the companies procedures.
they're more likely to be investigated by police and transport officers for breaches of maximum allowable driving hours. a lot of truck crashes are caused by fatigued drivers. that's also something the company directors have particular responsibility for, not just the drivers.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 am

Company has responsibility - probably refer to the court case of the cyclist courriers.

They have a duty to ensure they're drivers are responsible etc

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 am

At some point, an example has to be made to deter other road users of similar behaviour.

I noticed in the article that the driver was also charged with having drugs in his system. I wonder what those were?

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:23 am

Amphetamines no doubt. Goes with the culture really.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 am

il padrone wrote:Amphetamines no doubt. Goes with the culture really.
if he was on amphetamines, he was probably driving beyond his allowable hours. if he was doing that, he was doing it for the company, who would have likely approved his breaking the law. they are all liable in that circumstance and if that's what happened, i'd hope they all go down.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:00 pm

jules21 wrote:
Uncle Grumpy wrote:Workcover were investigating the company, which is a sand/soil company. I understand that their fleet of trucks was ordered off the road and Workcover went over the vehicles, and through the companies procedures.
they're more likely to be investigated by police and transport officers for breaches of maximum allowable driving hours. a lot of truck crashes are caused by fatigued drivers. that's also something the company directors have particular responsibility for, not just the drivers.
They would have been. But Workcover went through the companies procedures and drivers logs as well. WorkcoverNSW are the state government OH and S watchdog agency (for want of a better description). Whilst the company wouldn't condone the use of illicit drugs, they have a duty to ensure their workers are fit for work. That's where Workcover come into it. The Police and RTA would have been in the mix as well.

Worcover inspectors give expert evidence to the Courts in these matters.

Grumps

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 pm

i think you're probably right, except:
Uncle Grumpy wrote:Whilst the company wouldn't condone the use of illicit drugs, they have a duty to ensure their workers are fit for work.
i don't share your confidence there. some companies would be quite happy about it, if it meant they could keep earning 24/7.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:08 pm

South Penrith Sand and Soil is a family owned and run business.

Both drivers from Colyton.....maybe they're related.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi