n00bie milestones

Hammer

Re: n00bie milestones

Postby Hammer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Had my first ride today after ten odd years off a bike. Only a small ride of just over 10 kms. Thought I was going rather well as I went around Albert Park Lake. Until three guys, who do their road bikes justice, flew past me doing 35ish Kph. More ridding needed so they start to go past slower.
2012 Ridley Orion

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:57 pm

well done hammer, that was me at the start of November... have done a bit of riding since, and I still get passed (quite a lot actually!) but i have also managed to do the same to a couple of people :) more importantly, i'm riding longer distances, enjoying it more, and am getting a little bit addicted! Hopefully you find the same things happen, well done again on the first ride!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks oldnewby, I used to ride a lot a desk job got in the way though. I'm on "Gardening Leave" for a month so hoping to make a dent in the kms and pick up some more speed :D
2012 Ridley Orion

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 pm

hehehehe - I know how you feel Hammer. I just bought a new bike in September (haven't done a huge amount of kms in total, just when I can) but I just passed someone on a ride I did in Ocean Grove a few weeks ago - first time ever!!! I was so stoked with myself!!! :mrgreen: Its an awesome feeling to not be the last little engine that could......

Don't worry, you'll get there, and no one will be able to wipe the grin off your face :D
Kym
2012 Giant Avail 1 (black and white, not pink!)

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 am

Hammer wrote:Had my first ride today after ten odd years off a bike. Only a small ride of just over 10 kms. Thought I was going rather well as I went around Albert Park Lake. Until three guys, who do their road bikes justice, flew past me doing 35ish Kph. More ridding needed so they start to go past slower.
Yep, I can definitely relate to that. Especially when the guys who passed me were about 20 years older and 20 kph faster! :oops: :mrgreen:
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

Thunderthighs

Postby Thunderthighs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm

35km this morning on the M7 cycleway. Ready to start commuting to work...

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Thunderthighs wrote:35km this morning on the M7 cycleway. Ready to start commuting to work...
Good work.
Which end of the M7c do you live at?
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

simonr23

Postby simonr23 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 pm

i had a first today. first unclip mishap... went down on my left like a felled tree- at a semi-busy rd intersection on the bike path. no damage to bike(scuffed the very last bit of wrapping on the bottom of the left drop and light scuff to the left pedal) and a couple of small gravel cuts on my elbow and knee.

Costanza

Postby Costanza » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Posted this on another forum.
Did my first 100k ride yesterday (Sunday) from Mandurah to The Vines and averaged 29km in really good conditions. Very happy :D

2012 Giant TCR Advaned SL0
2011 Pinarello FP3

Thunderthighs

Postby Thunderthighs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 am

Costanza wrote:Posted this on another forum.
Did my first 100k ride yesterday (Sunday) from Mandurah to The Vines and averaged 29km in really good conditions. Very happy :D
Right on mate, well done!

@old and rusty: I live in Kings Langley so I get on (AT) Sunnyholt Road, ride one way for whatever my goal is, then turn around and ride back. Do you happen to live out that way?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:43 am

Interesting day.... first bunch ride, with the slow group on the Rouse Hill Trek store ride this morning. I think they were deceived by the steel frame and the topeak trunk bag. Biggest pothole ever, I'm glad we did 50kmh over it because I couldn't bunnyhop the thing entirely. Ended up pinch flatting the tube from it, but at least I made it back to the shop easily (died after standing up from the coffee? huh? Go figure!).

Biggest ride as well. 14 clicks to the shop, 15 back, and allegedly 37 during the ride? Puts me at 65+ for the day. Surprised how well I've pulled up, it wasn't overly tough during the bunch ride (i'm doing 42km 3-4 times a week with plenty of climbs).

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:17 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:New PB for my ride home (actually this is getting a bit redundant because every ride home I do is a new PB :P), 28.0kph average: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/142150548

My ITB issues with my left knee are getting a lot better with stretching, exercises and concentration on my knee tracking too, hope to be fit to race by next weekend!
Man that is an epic HR. How old are you? :shock: :mrgreen:

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Comedian wrote: Man that is an epic HR. How old are you? :shock: :mrgreen:
Hey comedian, that's an impressive milage you have for last year. have you updated bikejournal for this year yet? :shock:

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:43 pm

simonr23 wrote:i had a first today. first unclip mishap... went down on my left like a felled tree- at a semi-busy rd intersection on the bike path. no damage to bike(scuffed the very last bit of wrapping on the bottom of the left drop and light scuff to the left pedal) and a couple of small gravel cuts on my elbow and knee.
Hi Simon. Good to see you came out of the mishap (almost) unscathed. I think I had 3-4 clipless falls in my first few weeks. None since (18 months later). But I almost fell off today. I will say this though - by the 3rd fall when failing to unclip in time I was mentally ready for the impact and was laughing before I hit the ground. Nothing like facing your fears and coming out the other side in one piece....

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 am

Comedian wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:New PB for my ride home (actually this is getting a bit redundant because every ride home I do is a new PB :P), 28.0kph average: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/142150548

My ITB issues with my left knee are getting a lot better with stretching, exercises and concentration on my knee tracking too, hope to be fit to race by next weekend!
25 :P

My resting heart rate is (or was a few weeks ago) around 55 bpm, just seems that as soon as I even consider getting on my bike it goes up to 170. My average and max rates have been going down a tiny bit over the last month but I guess I just have a faster heart rate than most.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:07 pm

a few milestones all in one yesterday. Audax 130km (which came out at 121km on my computer). First organised/group ride. Longest distance ridden. Longest time in the saddle (6hrs 8 min ride time, 8hrs 4 minutes elapsed).
Absolutely loved it!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:
Comedian wrote:

25 :P

My resting heart rate is (or was a few weeks ago) around 55 bpm, just seems that as soon as I even consider getting on my bike it goes up to 170. My average and max rates have been going down a tiny bit over the last month but I guess I just have a faster heart rate than most.
That's fascinating. My resting is a smidge under 45. Yet somedays I can't get it to run above 150 and others I'm pulling 180. Oh well. Certainly for a commute I generally wouldn't get over 150.

agrojim

Postby agrojim » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Crappy milestone for me... unclipped my right shoe then leant too far to the left. Of course I stacked at a nice busy intersection.
Luckily only minor scratches on the pedal and a grazed knee.
That's the first time and hopefully last time I do that! :oops:

Cheers,
Jim
Road - Cannondale Evo Six
MTB - GT Zaskar
Current project - Ricardo Elite

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55 am

Just thought I'd share my first metric century on Saturday.

Have been riding for a bit over three months on an '05 Giant MTB (with slicks) that I bought for $100 - was averaging ~26Km/h on it and have done a few 70-80Km rides (and many 20-30Kms rides).

Last week I picked up my first road bike - Avanti Cadent 1. Still getting used to it (clipless pedals :? ) so much lighter, faster, etc than what I've been riding... Just having a solid (suspensionless) fork makes a massive difference when standing.

So I headed out at 6:30am... completed the 100Km on country SA roads averaged 28.4Km/h (pretty chuffed with that too).

http://app.strava.com/rides/3657442

Was pretty stuffed when I got home - have just signed up for the BikeSA Grand Slam too (a series of 5 rides throughout the year ranging from 80Km in Feb through to a 200Km ride in October - http://www.bikesa.asn.au/grandslam).. Hard to fathom 200Km at this stage but I figure I have 9 months to work up to it :). I recall not being able to do much more after my first 50Km where now 50Km seems quite easy so I'm hoping the same applies to 100 too....

Cheers

Troy
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:01 am

AndrewBurns wrote: 25 :P

I too seem to have a higher heartrate than most... have only been riding for a bit over 3 months but average heartrate for me is ~170bpm and I hit 170 within spitting distance of leaving home too. I'm 34, 6' 2" 105Kg. Until I got the garmin I would've had no idea of my high heart rate... even in the 180's I don't really feel it. 190+ I get breathless. Haven't yet tested my resting heartrate properly.

I wonder if this is a cause for concern?

Troy
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:20 pm

oldnewby wrote:a few milestones all in one yesterday. Audax 130km (which came out at 121km on my computer). First organised/group ride. Longest distance ridden. Longest time in the saddle (6hrs 8 min ride time, 8hrs 4 minutes elapsed).
Absolutely loved it!
Awesome work mate, whats the next target for ya... How are the legs today...
Happy Days

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:23 pm

thanks ltr :) legs are ok today, I think sitting in the Ovens river for half an hour (with a beer in hand) helped the legs a lot. I feel surprisingly good actually..
Not sure what the next target is, but will definitely be back in Bright next year.
Thanks again for the support!

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 pm

[Shamelessly cross-posted from the 6K thread]

First month of cycling, and I've just cracked 1,000KM for January.

No clip stacks, crashes or any other major mishaps (just a single flat tyre), so all-in-all a pretty good way to start things off!

Old and Rusty

n00bie milestones

Postby Old and Rusty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

First stack on Monday, tyre went down on the rear and I didn't quite make the left bend I was about to negotiate, got all crossed up and down I went. Little bit of bark missing but the Pinarello made it out unscathed... Next night I was out for on the M7C with the FPR's killing brown snakes!
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Well, I successfully survived my first 90km trip today -albeit at snails pace! :mrgreen: But am seriously chuffed with the ride, it was lovely and quiet and deserted for the majority of the time and I now have a new location with the potential to practice hills. Thanks for the ride Mr Hoolie!!!!

Mmmmm my next question is..... when do I get a chance to attempt this ride again??? And maybe hurt myself a little bit more......... (now that I know I can do it!)
Kym
2012 Giant Avail 1 (black and white, not pink!)