n00bie milestones

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: n00bie milestones

Postby hh445f » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:48 pm

I did my first group ride yesterday morning, with the guys from plenty cycles in preston. The ride was around 30km's and included the Yarra blvd in Kew.
What a great ride and the guys I rode with were fantastic and very supportive. On the way back before the coffee stop, I got my first puncture on my road bike :( At the coffee stop a few of the other guys suggested I went along to race with the northern vets today :shock: . At first I said no, but after a bit of convincing by the guys I decided what the heck. So this morming I turned up at the race meet in Cambellfeild at 8.30am. Everyone was very welcoming. As I am not a member yet I couldn't compete, but I was invited to ride around on the back of the f grade bunch during the race to get the feel of it. The race went for an hour and we did around 30km's. Our average speed was 30km/h. It was fantastic fun and I completed the hour easyly. So tonight before I got on the forum, I filled out the application form to join the Northern vets. What a great weekend of riding. And I can't wait for the next group ride.
To all the noobies, Get out and join a group ride, don't do what I did and say I will wait till I am a bit fitter. Get into it. It is fantastic and very motivating. 8) :) :)
hh445f

by BNA » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 pm

BNA

Postby crog » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 pm

How long and how difficult is the mount dandenong tourist road

Ride up it by all means and down depends on which way you go mountain highway to Ferntree gully reasonably good others not really sure

Ride down it make sure you can handle 60~70k decents. Not difficult as far a descents go and I have done it but suggest if you are at all concerned about your ability to handle bikes at high speed with on coming traffic dont.

Che
crog

Postby Old and Rusty » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:39 pm

hh445f wrote:To all the noobies, Get out and join a group ride, don't do what I did and say I will wait till I am a bit fitter. Get into it. It is fantastic and very motivating. 8) :) :)

I agree 100%, I ride with the Footpath Racers from this forum and it's great fun. I have learnt heaps, am fitter and push myself harder to keep up. I'm pretty fortunate that although they can set a mad pace they are pretty considerate of slower riders. I'm really looking forward to being able to keep up for a 100km ride.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
Old and Rusty

Postby Spork! » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Today, for the first time, my head (not just my ears or my face) felt cold on a ride. Also the first time I have ever had frost / ice crystals form on me while riding. Did I mention, today's ride was c-o-l-d!!!
Spork!

Postby brades68 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am

As per drubies proper noob milestone list:

- first clip stack - not yet
- first clip stack in front of crowd - not yet
- first flat 20km from home with a flat mobile phone battery so you are forced to fix it - not yet
- first flat 200m from the other flat you just fixed 'cause you forgot to clean glass off inside of tyre - not yet
- first c02 canister vented 100% into the air - yep, 2 cannisters actually
- first group ride - yes, Charity ride for cancer
- first time dropped on the first hill of the first group ride - happened during ipswich 100
- first time lost on the first group ride and unable to find the cafe - won't happen, no cafes where i ride
- first ride in the rain and not minding - not yet, HTFU levels not that high
- first ride in the cold when you realise your shorty gloves just aren't appropriate - yep, 10 degree ride.... hey it's central QLD, that's cold
- first multi thousand dollar cycling bill - first bike
- first hidden bank account from the other half for cycling items - no hidden account, just unexplained charges on the CC, hey it's better than beer, pokies and smokes is my standard reply
- first time you miss a days riding and spend the day fretting - yes it happens
- first crit, when you realise all that hard won fitness still isn't enough when you get dropped on the first surge. - i'll stay away from the crits - it's about ambitions and capabilities and making sure they don't get mixed up!
- first road race, getting dropped on the first hill (again!) - see above!
- first regular nightime training ride - not yet
- first (and last time) the bunch knows who you are == end of noob.

I also noted someone had added -first package from Wiggle. Yep got that!

Still a noob, but getting there :)

and need to get back into shape for Brisbane to Gold Coast

Cheers
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), Prolite Cuneo GP (riding!)
n + 1 = Pro-Lite Trentino GP (track - woohoo)
brades68

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:17 pm

Since I have been riding since last February I would not consider myself a true n00bie. However, after 2 1/2 month without doing any riding at all, I set out in the freezing cold dark on Saturday morning for a 200km jaunt down south. The weather turned out to be beautiful and I had a great ride. Only problem is that my bum is paying for it today. Luckily I have a nice, comfy, padded office chair to sit on :D
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby mse » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:01 pm

I smashed through the 25klm per hour average speed barrier this morning during my commute - 25.1 :)
Simultaneously, covering the 16.6k's in under 40min! Woohoo!
The question now is, can I double up on the way home?
mse

Postby GusG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Nice effort on setting targets. I remember my first 50km ride and my first 100km ride was the most awesome thing ever. When I reached 100km I almost fell off my bike with tiredness but within 5 minutes I was walking on air I was so happy! 8)
GusG

Postby Mustang » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:45 am

casual_cyclist wrote:Since I have been riding since last February I would not consider myself a true n00bie. However, after 2 1/2 month without doing any riding at all, I set out in the freezing cold dark on Saturday morning for a 200km jaunt down south. The weather turned out to be beautiful and I had a great ride. Only problem is that my bum is paying for it today. Luckily I have a nice, comfy, padded office chair to sit on :D

You set out on a 200 after 10 weeks off :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mustang

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Mustang wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Since I have been riding since last February I would not consider myself a true n00bie. However, after 2 1/2 month without doing any riding at all, I set out in the freezing cold dark on Saturday morning for a 200km jaunt down south. The weather turned out to be beautiful and I had a great ride. Only problem is that my bum is paying for it today. Luckily I have a nice, comfy, padded office chair to sit on :D

You set out on a 200 after 10 weeks off :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sure did! I finished it too :D

I was pretty sore on Monday and Tuesday. Last night I went for a brisk 20 min walk and did some yoga (stretch and flex) and I am a lot less sore today. I need to remember to stretch after rides like that. 200km rides are more mental than physical. Mentally, I knew I could do it because I have ridden 200km+ 6 times before. I was tired though. For the last half hour all I felt like doing was going to sleep. On that ride my legs overrode my head. My head said no but my legs said go!
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby malnar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Love this thread. Very inspirational. I've recently had a couple of 100+km weeks, mostly via commuting here and there. Also did a 50k recreational ride a couple of weeks ago (in the rain).

Aiming to keep the weekly totals in the 100-180km range and to knock out a 100k ride soonish. Let's say before the end of winter.

Also want to run about 10-15k per week and swim once a fortnight or so (don't mistake me for a triathlete).

Have had about a dozen rides with SPD shoes. No clip stacks yet. Instead of clicking out I have forgetfully pulled up & back at low speed a couple of times. I would have stacked had I not actually managed to release when I did this. I've set it up loose, I assume this is why I managed to pull out. I'll keep it set this way for now unless I pull out when going for speed (this hasn't happend yet, possibly because I haven't yet really gone for a big effort).
malnar

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:25 pm

malnar wrote:Aiming to keep the weekly totals in the 100-180km range and to knock out a 100k ride soonish. Let's say before the end of winter.

If you are riding 100-180km per week it won't take long before you can ride 100km. I found 100km to be a huge achievement. For me it was mentally very tough, even harder than my first 200km ride. However, after completing 100km once, I found the next one really easy.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby SeanB » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:40 pm

nice ride today. went up Willunga Hill, got to the bottom and turned around and climbed it again.
SeanB

Postby novice » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Slowly managing to build my average speed on my regular daily ride (20klm).
Todays ride average was at 23.2 kph with a slight head wind on the longest stretch (about 3 klm).
Not a huge thing but it is progress.
Still fighting with bike fit and seat comfort/soreness and this is stopping me from doing rides over 40 klm.
I did a 52k ride over a week ago and the resulting sores kept me off the bike for a few days.
Adjusted the seat hight up slightly and droped the stem down to make me lean forward a little as I was riding very upright and thought this would compound the seat soreness as I got tired, as you tend to rely on the saddle more when you start to get weary.
This helped a little and possibly helped the average speed, but generated another problem.
I occasionally get the right jatz cracker jamed between the nose of the saddle and my right leg (ouch). :twisted:
These things are enough to discourage you from riding.
Will be trying a new saddle this weekend (Selle SMP TRK) and I just hope this will solve this issue.
I would dearly love to get to a point where the ride comfort is good enough for me to tackle the longer rides.
I am sure the legs can handle it, if I can get the rest of the body to cope.
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.
novice

Postby Old and Rusty » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Bit surprised about the jatz cracker, you must sit alot more forward on the saddle than I do. Or you have different sized Jatz.
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
Old and Rusty

Postby Spork! » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:42 pm

A lady Dr. on a recent group ride referred to he saddle's anatomical cutout as a "clit slit". Perhaps you need one with a nut rut...
Spork!

Postby novice » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm

What can I say! Some of us are just well endowed :lol:
The Selle SMP TRK saddle I got this week has got the "nut rut" as you so cleverly put it.
Will have to wait and see if it helps.
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
novice

Postby novice » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Update on the Nut Rut saddle.
Only did 20 klm on it on Friday night.
First impression was, it is hard with much less padding. Did not help the Jatz Cracker problem much either.
Should give it a longer test to be fair.
I decided to drop the nose of the saddle down a fraction as well as lowering the hole seat a little.
I found on my last saddle that lowering the seat helped a little, although my cadence and leg strength is much better with the seat up.
Will hopefully test it properly when this shity weather clears.
I can just see me with a hugh collection of saddles and a big credit card bill before I get a solution. :cry:
Last edited by novice on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
novice

Postby Old and Rusty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:51 pm

I changed saddles yesterday and boy, what a difference. I put on a Velo Plush Comp with a noodle groove and it rocks, did 50km today and at no time did my butt get numb or sore. It's a $40 odd saddle and the LBS (The Pushbike Factory) I bought my bike from sold it to me for $28. No idea what the durability will be like but at that price I'll be happy if it goes 6 months.
I went and watched some of the guys from the forum race their bikes at Eastern Creek this morning, reckon I might up the training and have a go in the low grades.
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
Old and Rusty

Postby hh445f » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Today I did an 80km group ride along beach rd to mordiallic. We started in bruswick at 7.30am and got back at mid day. Should of been earlier but one of the guys managed 3 punctures along the way. 80km is my longest ride to date and as I write this I feel a little tierd. But during the ride I felt fantastic and I led the charge most of the way. :mrgreen: What a buzz. For any of you that haven't done the beach rd thing. Try it. you will go back, I know I will :) :) :)
hh445f

Postby Old and Rusty » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 am

hh445f wrote:For any of you that haven't done the beach rd thing. Try it. you will go back, I know I will :) :) :)

If I can get in one or two 150km rides beforehand I'm going to have a crack at the 210km Bay in a day. Only if I can get the training in though.
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
Old and Rusty

Postby hh445f » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Old and Rusty wrote:If I can get in one or two 150km rides beforehand I'm going to have a crack at the 210km Bay in a day. Only if I can get the training in though.

I'm thinking of doing this ride my self as well. I think I will have to do a bit more training as well but there should be enough time. 8)
hh445f

Postby novice » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Sorry chaps, but I weakend and put the old saddle back on last night. :cry:
Was starting to make some progress with the Nut Rut saddle as far as numbness in the jatz crackers was concerned, but the sit bone area was really suffering and could only last an hour before I had to stop.
Maybe as the weight keeps coming off, I may be able to give it another go.

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
novice

Postby Spork! » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Novice - perhaps a road bike, flat bar or drops, might be better than your MTB. I know it seems counterintuitive, but road bike saddles are pretty minimal because the rider supposedly has more weight on their legs, and less on their butt.
How tall are you? I have an old 57cm roadie with 28mm tires I'd be happy to lend you to try.
Spork!

Postby Evetsllub » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Have you guys who are struggling with saddles tried a Brooks saddle? They dont look comfy but once you've done a couple of hundred km they are beautiful to ride. you might get laughed at by the guys you ride with too but inside you'll be the one riding. I've got a B17 on my Roadie, and a B17 Special on my commuter. I've also got 2 other people who struggled with saddles onto them.

I'm a newbie too... started about 9 months ago on a mid 80s roadie, now have a mountain bike, commuter and still my mid 80s roadie... did a 60km road ride today, my longest yet. Am buggered now, but the bum feels good.
Evetsllub

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion