n00bie milestones

novice

Re: n00bie milestones

Postby novice » Mon May 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Well here are some pics of the offending machine that has been causing my rear end pain, but I still like it. :D
Last edited by novice on Mon May 10, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Mon May 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Nice! But may I suggest a set of slick tires? Better on the road, and added bonus of ticking the upgraditis box for your n00bie milestones. :)

novice

Postby novice » Mon May 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Nice! But may I suggest a set of slick tires?
They are on order. Were supposed to be fitted in the shop before I picked it up, but did not have stock at the time.
Also have some mud spats on order, for the rainy days.
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Mon May 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Nix wrote:ill add my 10 cents... still on a hybrid, riding since january

- first clip stack - havent done yet, no clips.... if i didnt have speeding fine, id more than likely get some....
- first clip stack in front of crowd - as above
- first flat 20km from home with a flat mobile phone battery so you are forced to fix it - 5kms from home and my mate fixed it
- first flat 200m from the other flat you just fixed 'cause you forgot to clean glass off inside of tyre - my mates bike had a sympathy flat within 10m
- first c02 canister vented 100% into the air - havnt used yet
- first group ride - amy gillett ride - canberra
- first time dropped on the first hill of the first group ride - as above
- first time lost on the first group ride and unable to find the cafe - don't do the cafe thing... I'm more of a turn around and start again kind of guy :)
- first ride in the rain and not minding - i hate the rain, but have done it once or twice
- first ride in the cold when you realise your shorty gloves just aren't appropriate -even tho i live in canberra, gloves are for wusses
- first multi thousand dollar cycling bill - after the wedding.....
- first hidden bank account from the other half for cycling items -after the wedding......
- first time you miss a days riding and spend the day fretting - had a few weeks off and im gettin fairly annoyed.... damn work and sickness.....
- first crit, when you realise all that hard won fitness still isn't enough when you get dropped on the first surge. - TBA
- first road race, getting dropped on the first hill (again!) -TBA
- first regular nightime training ride - don't have good lights yet :(
- first (and last time) the bunch knows who you are == end of noob. - don't have a regular bunch so nobody knows me :(

Other milestones
- First time not drinking on a night out so you're fresh for your ride tomorrow - yep done that
- First time you look at your calfs thinking "they look pretty toned - they were always big, theyre gettin better
- First time you realise it's a good idea to be in a small gear when clipping in on a hill - not yet
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi People,
I've just reached the 6 months exactly since I bought my first road bike (fleabay) and have logged 6978 km in that period.
Snapped front derailleur cable yesterday and changed it myself.
Love my bike and my wife thinks I've gone insane :lol:
Cheers,
Peter.
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

Pavlova

Postby Pavlova » Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 pm

humanbeing wrote:Hi People,
I've just reached the 6 months exactly since I bought my first road bike (fleabay) and have logged 6978 km in that period..
Impressive
2009 Malver Star Oppy Bol D'or
2008 Giant CRX2
Couple of old clangers (one with kiddie seat)

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sat May 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Got my first proper cycling jersey and my first pair of bib-knicks today from the PO and went for a ride in them. Loved them both. Jersey is a retro style 50/50 wool arcrylic one.
Went for my first solo (and only 2nd ever) "out of town" ride today.
First time ever I've loaded my bike into my car boot and driven past some busy, narrow roads to a quiet, (but still narrow) rural road just to go for a bike ride. I never knew they could put corrugations into tarmac...
Hoping to have my new bike by next weekend and ride from Launceston to Longford and back, with a fuel stop (AT) Longford bakery.

charliecat

Postby charliecat » Sat May 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Wow some really impressive stories here. I to am new to cycling as well and just ticking over my first 900km :D . I have been doing 25 - 30 km each day, but realistically i get out around three to four days a week. I am absolutely loving it! I love the tech/mechanical side of things as much as i love to ride.
I am a reformed smoker of 17 years and have never felt better. I haven't been on a group ride yet but am keen to get out and give it a go, even though i know i will most likely get dropped like a bag of you know what!

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Sat May 15, 2010 7:18 pm

I did 55 km just in two hours with famous Willunga Hill thrown in for a good measure - 15 mins to do 3 km hill with average gradient of 7.6%

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Sat May 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Did my longest ever ride today. 70km also included Willunga Hill (coincidentally).

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Sat May 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Did Prestons to Sunnyholt Rd and back today, 70km, avg speed 20kph. I'm just loving it at the moment. I'm sure the way I'll feel tomorrow will take the shine off pretty quick.
GPS went flat on the return but here's the summary.
http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=2501972
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sat May 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Goddamn. All you other n00bies doing 50-70k rides, and I'm still on 25-28...
Must lift my game...

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Sat May 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Spork! wrote:Goddamn. All you other n00bies doing 50-70k rides, and I'm still on 25-28...
Must lift my game...
Mine wasn't exactly a courageous effort, I took 3 1/2 hours and I reckon the Footpath Racers would comfortably shave a big slice off that. Having said that, it's not too bad for an old bloke who smoked for 25 years.
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

kook

Postby kook » Sat May 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Hit a noob milestone today - 60km. Also my first post after lurking for several weeks :)

Started riding again on the 17th of April, after an 8 year hiatus. Started with 15km, then 20, 30, 40, 17.5 (quick spin last weekend) and today 60. I think I'll stick to 50-60km for the moment, and work on improving times / average speed now, rather than simply distance.

Going to start commuting on Friday's next week - around 12km each way. Should help to get more saddle time.
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2010 Giant Alias

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Sun May 16, 2010 7:59 am

Spork! wrote:Goddamn. All you other n00bies doing 50-70k rides, and I'm still on 25-28...
Must lift my game...
I was like that 7-8 months ago and you will gradually hit the "century" ride one day and feels bloody good too :) I am training hard for my "double century" ride in October !

novice

Postby novice » Sun May 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Goddamn. All you other n00bies doing 50-70k rides, and I'm still on 25-28...
Must lift my game...
Know how you feel. On my second week and have so far done 200 klm since I got the bike. Managed a 20 klm ride on Saturday and did it again on Sunday with a couple of medium hills.
I just can't seem to go past the 1 hour ride time as my butt gets so sore. I got new nicks and they help but I think the saddle may need to change.
Would like to hear any reccomendations on saddles for a big bloke.
Hoping to have my new bike by next weekend and ride from Launceston to Longford and back, with a fuel stop (AT) Longford bakery.
Geez Spork, thats a big task. Good on ya. You will deserve the coffee and pastry when you get there. As a local, I can recommend the yummies on offer, (only from past experience) I am off the naughty tucker now, hence the bike rides.

Scott CR1 Pro 2011

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Sun May 16, 2010 7:18 pm

novice wrote:I just can't seem to go past the 1 hour ride time as my butt gets so sore. I got new nicks and they help but I think the saddle may need to change.
I bought a Velo Gel saddle for my mountain bike and my wife has a gel cover fro believe it or not, Aldi. Both made a considerble difference and I used to do 2 hours on the MTB and arrive back with no sore bum. It was $60 saddle. I no longer use it as I put the original saddle back on for the young bloke to ride the bike so if you want to give it a go I'll mail it to you. Alternately I'm sure your LBS would have some test drives available on various saddles.
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

novice

Postby novice » Sun May 16, 2010 7:51 pm

I bought a Velo Gel saddle for my mountain bike
Is this the type your are refering too?

Scott CR1 Pro 2011

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Sun May 16, 2010 8:42 pm

That one looks alot more flash but basically the same thing only betterer! The gel seems really good at distributing the point loads of the bum bones.
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

novice

Postby novice » Tue May 25, 2010 6:45 pm

A new experience today.
Found out that it is easy to develop an imense hatred for head winds and cars.
A strong head wind made todays ride very unpleasant.
Had two cars decide that it is okay to nearly wipe me out as they turn left in front of me as they passed me at an intersection.
The lady in the second car was an involuntary student in a new language class. :evil:
You are really vunerable out there and I was fairly comfortable with the riding experience until today.
I will have to be more careful.

Scott CR1 Pro 2011

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Tue May 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Didn't do my Longford ride this weekend. Was planning on using Pateena Rd, but thats got a lot of shady parts, and it was so damn cold... I did a quick ride around Blackstone - Prospect - West L'ton, and nearly froze in full sun! Took 10k's to get a little bit warm, and my feet felt like ice when I got home. Ordered some arm and leg warmers so hopefully next weekend...

novice

Postby novice » Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Was planning on using Pateena Rd
Some banter in the local Midlands paper about Pateena road becoming very dangerous for cyclists.
Young hoons seem to use this road as a race track, especially since its has had sections resealed and widened.
It was absolutely freezing last week. It reached minus 3 mid week and the ride at 6am certainly made sure I was awake.
So I have ordered some long bike pants. Might need to get some toe warmers aswell. Can't wait for Spring and daylight saving.
Doing 100-150 klm per week now although it is getting harder as it is always dark and cold when I go mornings and after work.
Waiting for my road friendly tires to arrive so that I can go faster and smoother.
Bought a Superstand this week to park my ride in the garage. Its neat and keeps things tidy.

Scott CR1 Pro 2011

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 pm

My milestones this year:

- getting the courage to wear knicks - now own 3 pairs including winter roubaix's and dont look back
- 60 and 80km distances, and working on 100km in next couple weeks
- averaging 30kph on solo rides including my last 2 rides of 60 and 80km
- getting up before 600am on weekends when its still dark and <<<10 degrees and not bitching in order to get couple hours in before the family is up

working on :
- shaving the legs
- climbing - waiting on some more durable wheels to arrive - current DT swiss wheels creak severly with my weight
- night rides - still looking for a good deal on some lights
- previously mentioned 100km
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Tue May 25, 2010 10:26 pm

I bought some nice warm compression tights, overboots, ear warmers and a good vest this week. Hasn't got as cold as Tassy though. Amazing what riding with a group will do for your average speed, tonight I rode a section of the M7 cycleway with the FPR guys and during that section Ryan and I rode in front most of the way. I was nearly 10kph faster than a solo run and only slipstreamed the last 1.5km. Loving seeing the fitness improve week by week.
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

novice

Postby novice » Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 pm

GPS went flat on the return but here's the summary.
http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=2501972
What is the cycle computer you are using Steve?
The sportstracker link looks impressive.
I would like something that I can download to my PC to keep track of my progress.
Any reccomendations chaps?

Scott CR1 Pro 2011