Melbourne city bike share

sogood

Melbourne city bike share

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:15 am

Video report on the introduction.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/on-your- ... -wp4k.html

Bike looked pretty decent.
Last edited by sogood on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

rustguard

Re: Melbourne city bike share

Postby rustguard » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:44 am

I once worked for a muslim man, he seemed fairly nice and quiet, then one day there was something in the paper about israel. The tyrade that came out of his mouth about killing every jew was very disturbing, the swearing and the passionate hatred was a total shock.
About 2 years later a jewish friend of mine was very sick. I called in to see if she was ok. she rang up a locum but she said the 2 on duty had names that could be pakistani and she couldn't risk it. I asked "why" and she replied that it was too dangerous. I was about to reply when I thought back to the muslim I worked for and realised that she was right.
since then I think I have had a different view on the middle east, if it was america gaza would have been invaded long ago
Last edited by AUbicycles on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Says: No edit to this post however to explain it - I believe the initial post contained the wrong link and this poster was commenting on the politics. There is a missing commar after 'america'. Lets be careful however to avoid political and religious

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 am

sorry the link sent me to 'Gaza flotilla violence night vision'
there was no bike, I'm assuming that is not the right article?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:57 am

sogood wrote:Video report on the introduction.

http://media.smh.com.au/world/world-new ... om=newsbox

Bike looked pretty decent.
FAIL
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Look what I found at Melbourne Uni this morning:

- Dave

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:46 pm

They were discussing this on ABC News Breakfast this morning (ABC2). The big problem they were focussing on was the compulsory helmet laws. The implication was that you can't just pick up a bike and ride - you need to come prepared with your own helmet. And that this was what was preventing it from becomming more widely used.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:41 pm

jasimon wrote:The implication was that you can't just pick up a bike and ride - you need to come prepared with your own helmet.
rental helmets and hair nets = problem solved
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Call me cynical...

Are the bikes left in the racks overnight? They mightn't get stolen but they will get trashed.

Not fond of the CC only option either, why not make them Myki compatible? :roll:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Not fond of the CC only option either, why not make them Myki compatible? :roll:

Shaun
I don't know what 'Myki' is but a blow up of one of the pics makes mention of a key. So there's at least 2 options for payment available
2010 BMC SLC01

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Myki is the much vaunted "world class" public transport smartcard system. Currently over budget to the tune of $500,000,000+ and still not fully rolled out years beyond deadline :roll:
Now you know why Vic is speed camera capital of the world...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:47 pm

I read the site as a one year sub gives you a keycard that lets you ride anytime, still linked to your CC.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I read the site as a one year sub gives you a keycard that lets you ride anytime, still linked to your CC.
paypal type option would be good. Maybe they'll look at that if the scheme works out?
2010 BMC SLC01

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Not fond of the CC only option either
probably for insurance/expenses purposes i.e. like when you rent a car or stay in a hotel they swipe your CC
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

18htan

Postby 18htan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Why can't they use mobile phones...?

Just about everybody has one. The technology is already in use for parking meeter's.

You select how long you want, it displays a number. You call it and the amount gets billed as a separate item on phone bill.

Seeing as you need to be a member... That limits every tourist who wants to ride one.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi

Thanks for the photos TheSkyMovesSideways. The bikes look interesting and I noted the RACV sponsorship. Are they providing a breakdown service :)?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

RedPanda

Postby RedPanda » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:15 pm

http://www.melbournebikeshare.com.au/

Police handed out $146 fines yesterday to a couple of tourist who rode without helmets. Apparently health & safety does not permit having helmets as part of the scheme, but they will be selling them "near by".

And $300 security deposit!

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Despite all the problems, real and perceived, this has got to be a step in the right direction.
A helmet can be had for < $20 at k-mart or similar. It may not be fashionable or super comfortable, aero, well ventilated or light, but it meets Aust. standards. Plainly not a good option for one off users, but for anyone considering using these on a regular basis for short commutes, great.
Wonder if there is a breatho. built into the system to prevent impromptu drunken bicycle racing in the wee hours...

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:55 pm

18htan wrote:Why can't they use mobile phones...?

Just about everybody has one. The technology is already in use for parking meeter's.

You select how long you want, it displays a number. You call it and the amount gets billed as a separate item on phone bill.

Seeing as you need to be a member... That limits every tourist who wants to ride one.
Because phone companies are prone to taking 50% cuts on phone bill transactions.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Spork! wrote:A helmet can be had for < $20 at k-mart or similar. It may not be fashionable or super comfortable, aero, well ventilated or light, but it meets Aust. standards.
the fact that a helmet is cheap is not the point. I see these bikes as more of a convenience thing (you miss your bus, or can't be arsed walking across town, or whatever) so you grab a bike and ride. It's a lot less convenient if you have to lug a helmet around with you everywhere.

As for helmet share - a lot of people won't even sit on a public toilet seat, you think people are really going to want to stick their head in a grotty shared helmet?

I think it'll fail.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:58 pm

are they front drum or dynamo hubs?
lethoso wrote:the fact that a helmet is cheap is not the point. I see these bikes as more of a convenience thing (you miss your bus, or can't be arsed walking across town, or whatever) so you grab a bike and ride. It's a lot less convenient if you have to lug a helmet around with you everywhere.
I would agree with this, If you were going to plan to carry a helmet you would just bring your own bike, it would more likely benefit spur of the moment rides.
I hope it does work, but once the newness of the concept wears off who will use them?

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:54 am

rustguard wrote:are they front drum or dynamo hubs?
I hope it does work, but once the newness of the concept wears off who will use them?
Some people will end up taking advantage of the free half hour deal and use them everyday from the train station to uni rather than wait for a tram. But even then why not just get your own bike for $100 2nd hand.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Had a good look at them on the Southbank rank today. Built in, if tiny red lights on the back so it maybe a dynohub. They are drum braked F&R.

I had a yarn with a few people eyeing them off too, most of them reckon the lid will be a dealbreaker. Apparently VicPol have already hit the first tourists with fines. Hard to miss the warning on the top of the headset.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 pm

http://practicalcyclist.blogspot.com/20 ... lmets.html

Hmm, so if these came with the bikes (AT) cost price - $3.65... Although if people only used them once then threw them out it would seriously detract from the green benefits of cycling. They could be "painted" (I know thats wrong, but you know what I mean) in a way that tourists might keep them as a souvenier, and any Uni student relying on Austudy worth his/her salt would use the same one until it was falling to bits.

An alternative would be to change the helmet laws. Possibly waive the need for a helmet on commuter (ie: not MTB, BMX or road) bikes, with 20" wheels and single speed gearing? Under a certain speed? In a certain area? Or just for bikes that are part of this or similar schemes. Not sure about the legality or implications of that sort of legislation though.

Another idea would be to make helmets available, and put them through a UV (or similar) sterilisation process, either automated or manual. This would obviously increase the costs, but possibly not by very much.

I think it's really sad that a scheme like this has been implemented but seemingly set up to fail. Gives the authorities their argument that "We set up a bike scheme but nobody used it, therefore nobody cycles, therefore we will continue to build infrastructure for the mighty motorcar and ignore cyclists as legitimate road users". (or something)

/end rant.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Had a good look at them on the Southbank rank today. Built in, if tiny red lights on the back so it maybe a dynohub. They are drum braked F&R...

Shaun
Are they pretty solid?

I like the scheme but here, those bikes will get trashed.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Spork! wrote:I think it's really sad that a scheme like this has been implemented but seemingly set up to fail. Gives the authorities their argument that "We set up a bike scheme but nobody used it, therefore nobody cycles, therefore we will continue to build infrastructure for the mighty motorcar and ignore cyclists as legitimate road users". (or something)
The good thing is, this is rapidly getting too expensive to do. Most of the big road projects recently completed/on the go up here in brisbane right now are toll roads. As the capacity of existing roads get stretched even further something's gotta give. I think right now cycling is being used as a cop out for transportation planning (as painting bikes on roads is cheap), but sooner or later it's going to have to be taken seriously.