eliptical sprocket

jb23

eliptical sprocket

Postby jb23 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:40 am

Hi All,

Just checking your thoughts on the eliptical sprocket, I haven't ridden a bike with one beofre but want to understand more how they work and if you need to change your ridding style to suit?

Cheers
JB

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:58 am

Assume you mean elliptical chain rings.

I know a B grade rider who uses them and loves them. Personal preference.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:05 am

Ahh, the old biopace system. It was going to be the answer to all our prayers. Many had them, some loved them, some hated them. Like a lot of things, they obviously worked because they suited some people, but the ultimate proof is in the way they faded from the market.

So go out and give them a go.

They work by giving you extra leverage through the part of the stroke where you're putting on the power and less leverage where you're not (or is that vice versa?). In either case, you just ride them as you normally would and let your legs work out how to use them.

Please give us your observations - after the first ride and then after you've got used to them.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:15 am

The new rings are quite different from the old biopace rings...I am thinking of getting one for my duraace cranks.Check out this link...
http://www.rotorbike.com/2006/qringgen.htm
I have rotor cranks on my training bike and must admit they rock....i would race on them but they are a big job to change over so won't be doing it in a hurry...(takes 24hours as bb has to be locktited in and allowed to set).But they allow you to push big gears with a lower heart rate/less stress on the knees....
http://www.rotorbike.com/2006/rotorgen.htm

europa

Postby europa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:23 am

How are they different from the old biopace rings?

Of course, if one rode a fixie, you wouldn't need funny rings :roll: (I had to put that in, they'd revoke my zealot's status if I didn't :wink:)

Toolong, have you considered a fixed gear bike for training? Part of your training anyway.

Richard

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:52 am

europa wrote:How are they different from the old biopace rings?

Of course, if one rode a fixie, you wouldn't need funny rings :roll: (I had to put that in, they'd revoke my zealot's status if I didn't :wink:)

Toolong, have you considered a fixed gear bike for training? Part of your training anyway.

Richard
I think you would have to read the details for an exact explanation but I think the placement of there oval is different,they also take some setting up as there are various positions available.I just think it is all a bit more scientific....Bobby Julich swears by them...you could fit them on a fixy if you had a rubber chain :lol: .I have raced track once for club champs,borrowed a mates bike that was a bit small but very nice,found it very easy from the get go,no problems being on a fixie...I think the TT's would be my thing,really enjoyed doing a 2000meter tt.But it is another bike and Dunc Gray is a pain to get to so will borrow a bike once a year...although :wink: as Sydney has the worlds for the next 3 years would be nice to be fit for the next one just to have a go :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:58 am

You missed the entry for the worlds, closed last monday

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 am

mikesbytes wrote:You missed the entry for the worlds, closed last monday
Not this year...no chance,if I have a good year and drop 20 kilos and have another 20,000 km in my legs why not :wink: ...you keen?.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:19 am

I've got one of the Q-rings from Rotor on my 'bent. They are quite different to the old biopace rings, which were not elliptical but sort of "rhomboidal" in shape. Q-rings are oval.

They are well loved by 'bent riders because they allow the rider to choose the position of the long axis of the ellipse with respect to the crank position. On a 'bent, the angle the chain makes with the frame at the dead spot is about 80 degrees rotated compared to a DF frame and it varies from frame to frame. In addition, the dead spot on a 'bent is more pronounced. Q-rings help reduce the effect of the dead spot and smooth out the spin, especially at high cadence.

When I can afford it, I'll be buying the full set for the 'bent and another set for my MTB.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:You missed the entry for the worlds, closed last monday
Not this year...no chance,if I have a good year and drop 20 kilos and have another 20,000 km in my legs why not :wink: ...you keen?.
12,000k OK, + sprint training. Need to increase max power output quite a bit.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:27 pm

These Q rings sound interesting then. Maybe something else to tack onto the list of dumb things to try one day :D

Richard

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:20 pm

europa wrote:These Q rings sound interesting then. Maybe something else to tack onto the list of dumb things to try one day :D

Richard
I thought that about rotor cranks but then a set of 180's came up on ebay new for $400.The ti ones usually go for up to 1000 more so I thought why not,I have never looked back,they are heavier but for what they do i happy with that,I can switch between normal and rotor no problem and only takes about 400meters before muscle memory comes in and you forget you have changed....my knees a so good now, which if I posted a picture of them would suprise a few.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:38 pm

Did I say these things get high praise in the 'bent world? This is from the BROL.com forum (BentRiderOnLine):
avatar78 wrote:Qrings are heaven-sent. They have cured my lumbago and eczema. I find that the sun always shines when my q-ring bike is being ridden. The room it is parked in is always surrounded by butterflies. The crime rate on my street has been halved since I bought them. I got a raise. :D
Now, you can't ask for more than that from a chain ring, can you? ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....