Why I shouldn't get a reid?

jules21

Re: Why I shouldn't get a reid?

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:46 pm

mmm.. transferrence :)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Fibrelight wrote: What I do have a issue with is self righteous participants hijacking a genuine thread from a new user under the guise of keeping the forum 'pure' or protecting others from the 'evils of commerce'. If the inappropriate marketing offended you so much then I would have thought the more appropriate course of action would be to flag it to a Mod and not pay any more attention.
I suppose the cynicism is you haven't contributed to any other threads except this one which you started. Based on the past history of Reid, your post seems to coincide too well.

So how about changing the impression and participating in other threads eh? How about doing the general intro if you're going to hang around for awhile or are you just dipping here just to get some Reid advice and that's it? Use the posters' advice and leave ? Also, it seems you're annoyed you're not receiving any positive response. Well, the advice here is free so you know, TNSTAAFL.
Fibrelight wrote: Let me make it plain. I am a new user to this forum and to the cycling community that has been somewhat disillusioned by the attitude and conduct of some of the participants of this forum. An open and honest community is a most and criticism is sometime warranted but in this case I believe it was not needed. I apologize if this is not in the spirit of the forum. I am sure this will only lead to more off topic comments (as this rant is)that are aimed at the validity of the thread and how much Spiced Ham it contains.
This is a forum that lives and thrives on users. I don't know what kind of cycling community you're looking for cos you haven't even participated in other threads except to ask for sales advice.

Get off your high horse and start helping others out - such as fellow newbies like yourself in other threads. You're articulate enough.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Fibrelight

Postby Fibrelight » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:05 pm

I thank you for your feedback CommuRider. I found your original post very helpful and in all very balanced in your opinions.

I do consed that this is my first threat on this forum and that I have 'used' the forum rather than contributed too. Saying that I do not believe this precludes me from asking questions and reasonably expecting some helpful feedback from more experienced and skilled riders and you have to start somehwere. As your handle implies you are in a fortunate position/location that allows you to use your bike to commute. I would also assume that you have a reasonable understanding of what are good and bad traits to look for with a new bike. I unfortunately am lacking in both those areas. Therefor I look to others for direction. I take on board your highlighting of my lack of involvement and will constructively contribute when and if I can.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Fibrelight wrote:I thank you for your feedback CommuRider. I found your original post very helpful and in all very balanced in your opinions.

I do consed that this is my first threat on this forum and that I have 'used' the forum rather than contributed too. Saying that I do not believe this precludes me from asking questions and reasonably expecting some helpful feedback from more experienced and skilled riders and you have to start somehwere. As your handle implies you are in a fortunate position/location that allows you to use your bike to commute. I would also assume that you have a reasonable understanding of what are good and bad traits to look for with a new bike. I unfortunately am lacking in both those areas. Therefor I look to others for direction. I take on board your highlighting of my lack of involvement and will constructively contribute when and if I can.
I just joined less than a month ago and as you can see I've really enjoyed the forum. I was reading this forum a week after I started commuting so I found the advice I've read and asked for really helpful. While this shouldn't preclude you from asking feedback as you can read, the seasoned posters here are used to getting so many newbie posts and given the stigma to Reid in the initial thread, there is a defensive attitude towards the retailer.

What I've noticed in my very brief time here is there are those who are quite active and intend to participate seriously so you'd see them post intros of themselves (lots of sandgropers joining up if you check the member profiles thread). And there's the other group of newbies where they just ask which bike suits him/her and are never heard from again.

I have a middle of the range road bike and realise that this is not the 'best' bike but it suits me well for now. I'm very much a newbie and like to read others' opinions so in terms of the good/bad traits you just need to find it out for yourself on your cycling journey. I've visited a lot of LBS and that's how I'm accumulating of what suits me best in cycling. We all have to start off somewhere. I'll never be the ultra bike mechanic who'd build a bike from scratch but I like to read people's experiences of it. You gotta people give respect for their knowledge in this forum and if you want respect for yourself on here that generally means participating more.

If I were Reid I'd be concerned about this thread as it's not helping him. What I'd like to see is a thorough review of a Reid bike. So I don't understand what's stopping you from just buying a Reid bike and posting a review of it. That's all. Good luck with finding a bike that suits you and hopefully, see you around in other parts of the forum. Read the Victorian folder as I'm sure they already have the inside knowledge of welcoming newbies to a local cycling community.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Fibrelight wrote:I wasn't going to rant but screw it.

Thanks for indulging me in this rant. It has been very cathartic.
:wink: Cathartic is good.

Don't be too harsh or judgemental of us though, as realistically the title you chose for this topic(in a negative style Q) kinda set the tone for the content IMO.

Look forward to future content from you,and a headsup when you do purchase a bike.

P.S Hi to all you mods,who I'm sure have this flagged as one to watch in your own forum.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:26 pm

brauluver wrote:P.S Hi to all you mods,who I'm sure have this flagged as one to watch in your own forum.
Ummm, no we don't actually.

I'm involved because from what I can see, I'm the only member who's done more than look at one going past.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 am

Please... Can we get on topic?

It's getting really really boring rehashing the same-old. I would be pleased if other topics are dropped - if you have a need to discuss then start a new thread in the forum feedback section. Most should know that topics like this can be discussed there
Cycling is in my BNA

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 am

Getting back on topic;

The new website design makes the bikes and the brand look much more professional, so well done there, James.

A guy at my work has a Reid (Cheapest model, a Condor i think?), and i gave it a bash one day on my lunch break. Obviously its no Felt AR0, but for the price you pay it seemed like a very decent bike. The only issue he had was with the supplied tyres, which punctured fairly easily. Even with the cost of buying new tyres added onto the purchase price, still seems like a good deal.

If i cant salvage my SS, or i find that it just doesnt suit me, Reid will be on my shortlist, on par with Cell bikes.

Fibrelight

Postby Fibrelight » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks for the info Gunlock.

Even though I had not heard of the brand before a few weeks ago I was walking down Latrobe street (melb CBD) and cable across a Ried chained up outside RMIT. Some people at least must be buying them.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Yeah, Fibrelight, i've seen that Reid chained up outside RMIT (My Uni). The owner seems to love the commute, have seen the bike chained up against somer horrible weather...

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Even though I'm only a new poster don't treat this as spam or agenda driven (due to recent threads)... I bought a Reid (Condor) flatbar to get me back into cycling beause it was cheap and if the bug did not reignite I would not be too far down the tubes financially.

I won't say yay or nay about it other than I guess like everything, you get what you pay for. :)

Don't know much because I haven't owned a bike since my racing days nearly 30 years ago.

Bike is OK but I do plan to buy something a little more substanital very soon (read; next week or two).

So I have no real problem with them. Just don't expect the thing to captivate you for too long in your journey!

I'll certainly still ride it. Just to the shops and pub and those type of things. :mrgreen:

So yep, I'm no spammer. I plan to post more and more over the journey!

Cheers guys.

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

CommuRider wrote:
Fibrelight wrote: If I were Reid I'd be concerned about this thread as it's not helping him. What I'd like to see is a thorough review of a Reid bike. So I don't understand what's stopping you from just buying a Reid bike and posting a review of it. That's all. Good luck with finding a bike that suits you and hopefully, see you around in other parts of the forum. Read the Victorian folder as I'm sure they already have the inside knowledge of welcoming newbies to a local cycling community.
I agree ... I'm sure that James and co would be most happy to have the board moderators review their products and post an informative thread (with pics). Maybe then their bikes could be enjoyed in the same light as other brands? :)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm

wheels46 wrote: I agree ... I'm sure that James and co would be most happy to have the board moderators review their products and post an informative thread (with pics). Maybe then their bikes could be enjoyed in the same light as other brands? :)
Well c'mon give us a proper review then! Pros, cons, strengths, weaknesses etc. People on here like to read about specs and pix :) Did James give you a proper bike fit too?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:06 pm

CommuRider wrote:
wheels46 wrote: I agree ... I'm sure that James and co would be most happy to have the board moderators review their products and post an informative thread (with pics). Maybe then their bikes could be enjoyed in the same light as other brands? :)
Well c'mon give us a proper review then! Pros, cons, strengths, weaknesses etc. People on here like to read about specs and pix :) Did James give you a proper bike fit too?
:lol: ahaa, now you've gone and done it wheels46. :wink:

As a reference, this new member is a legit character who I've known in a former cyberlife/forum of a different nature.He is not a 1 time suspect character prompted to post a glowing testemonial and never be heard from again.Whether or not he chooses to contribute further to this thread is his call.Looking forward to seeing you join and post a little as time goes on mate, because if the quality of your content is like the other place we used to hang, you'll become a valuable member.

Cheers dave

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 pm

brauluver wrote: As a reference, this new member is a legit character who I've known in a former cyberlife/forum of a different nature.He is not a 1 time suspect character prompted to post a glowing testemonial and never be heard from again.Whether or not he chooses to contribute further to this thread is his call.
LOL. A glowing reference in cyberspace. I sincerely hope he posts his review and so demystifies all this brouhaha. Oh btw, welcome wheels46 :)

Fibrelight

Postby Fibrelight » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks all for the ongoing feedback. Great to hear. As for a review that would be great but not the initial expected outcome of the thread.

Wheels46, welcome (as much as a 2 week old member can say welcome...not that I'm 2 weeks old but you know what I mean). Are you able to expand on your experience with your bike and what you are looking at upgrading too? what pros and cons you found?

A friend of a friend suggested that I might want to consider upgrading the rims of any 'entry level' to Velocity Dyad or Velocity Deep-V rims. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Yeah thanks guys! brauluver I posted on that "other" forum with over 7 years experience in said hobby at the time. Unfortunately even though I used to race in the 70s bikes these days are a whole new thing to be now and I look forward to learning from others! My previous bike at that time was a Cecil Walker with Suntour Superbe groupset and I loved her to bits. Sadly she was sold some time ago! :mrgreen:

I'm not really qualifed to post a full review on my Reid other than suffice it to say you get what you pay for! There's nothing particularly wrong with the bike at all and it has reaquainted me enough enough with cycling to have done it's job for $250... In the coming weeks I'm considering an upgrade. However I will keep the Reid for trips to the shop etc and to remind myself it's what got me started on the journey!

As I said there's nothing wrong with the Reid (Condor) if you plan to ride around the park for a bit of weekend fitness. However if you plan to scale up your rides I'm picking the drivetrain and wheels will probably not be up for the job.

I still think they represent good value for money for an everyday bike and I'd sooner go there than Target, Big W, Kmart et al.

I honestly see some kind of future for Reid Cycles. I just think like all new businesses they are trying to establish a brand ?? :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:38 am

For anyone interested, our forum mod Mulger Bill did a review of a Reid Bicycle - The Reid Aquile review is now published on BNA. Good Job!!
Cycling is in my BNA

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm

AUbicycles wrote:For anyone interested, our forum mod Mulger Bill did a review of a Reid Bicycle - The Reid Aquile review is now published on BNA. Good Job!!
+1

Now, is everyone happy?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:34 pm

thrilled! i just tested a Reid myself and was impressed that finally there was a market niche that catered for a budget bike that really stands up to scrutiny on quality. the Condor is................. :?

brendanwilding

Postby brendanwilding » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 pm

First post here, so you wont know if I'm shilling or not :P I did find that other reid thread hilarious! :lol:

Anyway I planned to buy a Reid Osprey however they are out of stock in large. So I intend on buying the "Falco" model instead (it does sound better). Still an entry level bike at $999 and seemed cheaper than the other 'equiv' online brands. Stated 5 year frame warranty. Build quality ??? :roll:

This will be the first bike I have bought and I have not ridden a bike in 10 years but want to get into road biking as running is starting to take its toll on the knees.

I'll try to write a brief review on the bike to settle the controversy over Reid bikes. Maybe I'll get a $50 discount for it, who knows (just kidding). Any advice for a first time road biker would be appreciated.

Brendan

Disclaimer: Do people even believe in disclaimers anyway :?: I didn't know reid existed until a few hours ago

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Well Brendan, you're more than welcome to post a review of Reid. The poor Reid bicycle. Funnily enough @Fibrelight has never been seen again in the forum :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Did you read my review of the Aquila Brendan? There's a link in the other thread.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brendanwilding

Postby brendanwilding » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:07 am

Mulger bill wrote:Did you read my review of the Aquila Brendan? There's a link in the other thread.
Hi Bill,

Yes I read the review, thank you for writing it! :mrgreen: It is of great value for people like me who are new to bicycles. There is also a link to it in this thread posted by a moderator.

I thought I might go something with a better groupset than the Aquila - the Falco has mainly Shimano 105 components; my sole source of info on the matter (internet), indicates these are pretty good but I am open to opinion on the matter. The price seems good and I feel more confident buying my first bike at a physical store (aka LBS :wink: ) rather than online so I get the right size, know how look after it etc. Just hope its in stock!

Ta, Brendan

alf

Postby alf » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm

wheels46 wrote:Even though I'm only a new poster don't treat this as spam or agenda driven (due to recent threads)... I bought a Reid (Condor) flatbar to get me back into cycling beause it was cheap and if the bug did not reignite I would not be too far down the tubes financially.
The above comment is probably the most important consideration when getting into cycling for the first time or after a long absence.

I have gotten back into it after a number of years and what I can say is I spent more than I planned to but less than I should have on a bike .

Having said that it is a hard call to make deciding how much money to throw at an activity that you might end up giving up on after a while.

If that describes your situation it would be wise to consider the second hand market in my opinion, there are plenty of people who have spent big only to give it up and want to get rid of the constant reminder the unused bike represents.

My advice would be to set a budget and stick to it, keeping in mind that if you really enjoy the activity you will be spending some real money within 12 to 18 months.

As for the sentiments around how often people post etc.. It does take all kinds and some individuals are not as outgoing as others, I don't see a problem with it, I have been lurking in these forums as a guest for about 6 months and this is my first post.